5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm pretty new to this forum. I bought my Bighorn a couple of weeks ago and have loved all of the suggestions/advice on these posts.

After reading all of the reviews on here, I decided to go ahead and buy one of these. I ordered express shipping, and it got to me today (6 days between order and delivery). I started receiving tracking info on the third day from DHL. That being said, they were constantly sending me texts about changing my delivery option so that it did not require a signature, in order to remove them from any liability (I assume in case the package was broken in transit). I didn't, of course, since I've never dealt with them before. Regardless, the driver delivers, and leaves before I can get to my door, so no signature was required anyway. So if anyone else comes across DHL asking them to change the delivery method, I don't recommend it since it transfers the liability to you, and because they deliver it without your signature anyway.

But back to the product. As has been stated multiple times on this thread, it is pretty intuitive. I followed all of the advice given on here (no connections to any bluetooth or WiFi on the first install). It took about 10-20 seconds for the device to recognize my iPhone 7+. It didn't require a firmware update and it started working once it was connected! Music comes through crystal clear and google maps works really well.

Some things I have noticed about this product after just one day of use:
- I tried "hiding it in the small recess where the CD play was supposed to go. I found that if it was jarred in any way (small pothole or sharp turn) it would disconnect and want to reconnect. I verified this by wiggling the usb connecter a little while it was plugged in. I assume that its just sensitive to the physical connection, so I moved it to the small section on the right of the phone holder to keep it put. It fit snug and hasn't presented any connection issues since (pictures below).

- Pandora can be a little finicky, but I found that it is a CarPlay issue and not attributed to this product. Pandora likes to freeze up on occasion when I switch over to other apps and back. But I was able to recreate the problem when there was a physical connection from my phone to the truck, without this product.

One thing that may or may not be attributed to this product (or CarPlay) is that google maps was very low on volume compared to the music that I was playing when I was driving down the road. I found that I could adjust the volume for google maps whenever it was giving me prompts, so I was able to "fix" the problem by waiting until it gave me directions and turning up the volume while it "spoke". This didn't affect the music volume, so I was happy with that. I haven't had the chance to recreate the issue, so I'll check it again when I get the chance. But in case anyone else has had this happen to them, I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to set the navigation volume to max without having to wait for it to give me directions first.

All in all, I really like this product. The fact that it connects automatically is a plus for me. And I love that it also gives me a battery indicator for my phone that I can see without having to look at my phone. It works as advertised.

View attachment 62685 View attachment 62686
So in regards to the voice prompt volume on google, I’ve found that there is a music volume and a separate voice prompt volume when using CarPlay and I can usually make the voice prompt volume louder if I go to Instagram or and app like that and turn up the speaker volume on that app.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed that the adapter has a harder time connecting to the phone if the phone is sitting in the ram charger? For what ever reason when I put my phone in the charger the adapter has trouble finding and connecting unless I unplug and restart the adapter. When I put my phone into a cradle sitting in a cup holder It always connects within a few seconds. Wonder if the charger somehow jams the blue tooth signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed that the adapter has a harder time connecting to the phone if the phone is sitting in the ram charger? For what ever reason when I put my phone in the charger the adapter has trouble finding and connecting unless I unplug and restart the adapter. When I put my phone into a cradle sitting in a cup holder It always connects within a few seconds. Wonder if the charger somehow jams the blue tooth signal.
Others have said they have had no issues with the charger and the dongle. I have not yet tried mine in the charger so can't speak first hand. The typical connect time, regardless is about 14 seconds for CarPlay to fully load. Keep in mind, the dongle connects to the car with BT during the first 5-8 or so seconds and then converts over to Wi-Fi for it's main signal to your phone.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Others have said they have had no issues with the charger and the dongle. I have not yet tried mine in the charger so can't speak first hand. The typical connect time, regardless is about 14 seconds for CarPlay to fully load. Keep in mind, the dongle connects to the car with BT during the first 5-8 or so seconds and then converts over to Wi-Fi for it's main signal to your phone.
I wish it were quicker to connect. It can take 15 seconds, but it took well over 60 seconds today. It's very much hit-or-miss in that regard. This may be due to my impatience; I'm no longer willing to wait to put the truck in gear until it has connected. I also have a very strong WiFi signal at home, so it's competing against my routers until I'm a block away.

On the plus side, the latest firmware update seems to have corrected the "take over my surround-view screen" issue, so I haven't returned it. It works great once it's up and running...including on the wireless charger.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Strange My success rate with connecting us 100% when not on charger. 50/50 at best with phone in charger. I’m going to run a small usb extension on the adapter and put it in the console and see if distance from charger makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barqs

Reaction score
Is the best place to get these through their website, or is there an online market that offers similar pricing with faster shipping? I'm almost ready to give it a try as it seems like the perfect solution. I'd get one for my wife's JGC except she usually is running her battery down to 10% and would need to be wired for charging anyway (no wireless charging pad).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is the best place to get these through their website, or is there an online market that offers similar pricing with faster shipping? I'm almost ready to give it a try as it seems like the perfect solution. I'd get one for my wife's JGC except she usually is running her battery down to 10% and would need to be wired for charging anyway (no wireless charging pad).
PM me and I'll help you out!

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
If this thing takes 15 seconds to connect every time, doesn’t it defeat the purpose? I can plug my phone in quicker than that. I guess I’m missing the advantage over a wired connection if you have to wait for it to connect.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If this thing takes 15 seconds to connect every time, doesn’t it defeat the purpose? I can plug my phone in quicker than that. I guess I’m missing the advantage over a wired connection if you have to wait for it to connect.
What do you want to do that you can't wait 15 seconds??? The benefit is NOT having to take your phone out of your pocket and plug it in!

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
What do you want to do that you can't wait 15 seconds??? The benefit is NOT having to take your phone out of your pocket and plug it in!
I guess I’m already used to taking my phone out and plugging it in, and it takes me less than fifteen seconds to do that, so it doesn’t seem advantageous to me. I guess I’d have to have it to know what I’m missing out on. I think the delays and minor glitches here and there would annoy me more than it annoys me to plug my phone in, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I’m already used to taking my phone out and plugging it in, and it takes me less than fifteen seconds to do that, so it doesn’t seem advantageous to me. I guess I’d have to have it to know what I’m missing out on. I think the delays and minor glitches here and there would annoy me more than it annoys me to plug my phone in, if that makes sense.
99% have zero issues and glitch free. Yes, once you have one then you will see the light. Unless you need to charge your phone EVERY time you get in your truck, there is no need to plug in. I have had mine for quite a while now and have not had a single issue...nada! I can’t imagine not having it anymore.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
99% have zero issues and glitch free. Yes, once you have one then you will see the light. Unless you need to charge your phone EVERY time you get in your truck, there is no need to plug in. I have had mine for quite a while now and have not had a single issue...nada! I can’t imagine not having it anymore.
Ditto. No issues when in charger, but mine is mostly in my pocket or sitting flat on top of cupholder.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how fast it connects in the BMW that offers Wireless CarPlay. Is it 15 seconds too or less?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how fast it connects in the BMW that offers Wireless CarPlay. Is it 15 seconds too or less?
Go test drive a BMW and time it...would be curious to know ;) I am guessing it would be similar as the technology requires that the phone connect via BT and then initiate a Wi-Fi connection. Could be 8-10 seconds based on the fact it is integrated into the head unit, but it will still take time.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go test drive a BMW and time it...would be curious to know ;) I am guessing it would be similar as the technology requires that the phone connect via BT and then initiate a Wi-Fi connection. Could be 8-10 seconds based on the fact it is integrated into the head unit, but it will still take time.
I’ll stay wondering.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a ****, but, if you really wondered about the Bimmer, you'd test it out. Why even post this then???

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how it is to be a president. I wonder how it is to be an astronaut. I wonder how it’s feels to be a girl. I wonder how it feels to be a turtle. Am I suppose to go out there and test all those things out? It’s called wondering. Now I’m wondering about you. “Not trying to be **** as well. I’m not going to the dealer to see. I’ll keep wondering. That’s what I’m going to do. Now I’ll ask you, does it bother you on what I’m going to do about this? You have very right to say anything you want. I do as well. But If it does, I’m curious why it bothers you. I can post anything I want whether someone likes it or not. Now if it complies with the forum guidelines, thats another story.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all...I just wonder why people post crap if they have no intention of following through??? If you are going to make such a statement, then one would infer that you are going to test it out...just pure logic! You continue to post what you want just don't be ignorant about it.

Users who are viewing this thread