5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me and my 2021 to the "Whistle coming from driver's side" group. Starts around 60 mph and gets louder from there, high pitched. AC Recirc doesn't seem to affect it either way.

Had my truck checked a couple weeks ago and both the tech and the service rep could hear the whistle. It looked like there were some incorrectly installed exterior trim pieces on the door so they ordered both the exterior and interior seals for the door. Dropped my truck off this Monday (17 May) and they replaced all those seals in the door, still whistles. They contacted RAM and ended up removing the dash and the rear seat to check those known problem areas and try to mitigate, no luck. Truck still whistles.

As of today they are going to re-seal and/or replace the windshield, not hopeful that's going to fix it. Any model year 21s experienced the same?

@RamCares

yellowboy

Reaction score
I love how every dealer tries something different for the same problem. It appears there is no coordinated central database that they draw from (other than here :rolleyes: ) .

Ram dealers seem like a bunch of independent shops saying "lets go to the back of the garage and see what we parts can find to throw on the vehicle, and who knows - we might get lucky and the problem will go away or the owner will think it's gone away......."

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love how every dealer tries something different for the same problem. It appears there is no coordinated central database that they draw from (other than here :rolleyes: ) .

Ram dealers seem like a bunch of independent shops saying "lets go to the back of the garage and see what we parts can find to throw on the vehicle, and who knows - we might get lucky and the problem will go away or the owner will think it's gone away......."
According to my dealer they actually called RAM after the door seals didn't fix anything. They gave them a step by step of what to check (which included a dash teardown and rear seat removal), and those checks/fixes still didn't fix anything. It came down from RAM to re-seal the windshield, and replace it if that doesn't fix it.

My question is....if that doesn't work...what's next?? It's a BTS truck and I'm not sure there's any more of my color out there...much less my spec. Plus the fact that the incentives and whatnot are nowhere near as good as they were a couple months ago...I'm sure a buyback would be a total **** show for me.

yellowboy

Reaction score
According to my dealer they actually called RAM after the door seals didn't fix anything. They gave them a step by step of what to check (which included a dash teardown and rear seat removal), and those checks/fixes still didn't fix anything. It came down from RAM to re-seal the windshield, and replace it if that doesn't fix it.

My question is....if that doesn't work...what's next?? It's a BTS truck and I'm not sure there's any more of my color out there...much less my spec. Plus the fact that the incentives and whatnot are nowhere near as good as they were a couple months ago...I'm sure a buyback would be a total **** show for me.
Well join the club - see my thread "rear window leaking" and you will be where I'm at, no truck since last Friday, pathetic. They should have waited another year to put this model out until they got it (closer) to working right.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well join the club - see my thread "rear window leaking" and you will be where I'm at, no truck since last Friday, pathetic. They should have waited another year to put this model out until they got it (closer) to working right.
This is more of a lack of quality control than technical execution. I am without my truck until at least this Friday, I may lose my **** if they say the windshield fix/replacement doesn't work.

Floyd

Reaction score
Had same issue when I test drove and said I won't buy with it. They said there was a TSB to replace a seal in windshield..all quiet after that.

Never got the TSB # though...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there... but which rear window does everyone with issues have? I just had the re-designed rear window installed and had to hit the highway the next day. It was really windy and usually my truck made all kinds of noises on the highway in crosswinds... after the new rear window not a peep.

My question would be, if that old rear window design is a leaky siv, it would be creating all sorts of cabin pressure issues during highway driving. I would be surprised if someone had the new rear window and wind noise combo.

Food for thought.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had same issue when I test drove and said I won't buy with it. They said there was a TSB to replace a seal in windshield..all quiet after that.

Never got the TSB # though...
Yea I test drove it but never on the highway....lesson learned for next time.

The fact there is a TSB for the windshield seal gives me hope.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Yea I test drove it but never on the highway....lesson learned for next time.

The fact there is a TSB for the windshield seal gives me hope.
What is the tsb for the windshield seal?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Ram cares - question - I had a new A/C - Heater Module installed in January of this year - part number 08193001 - is there something else that should be done ?

Hello! Apologies for the late response. Unless you are experiencing concerns with your A/C unit you should be set. As always, if you do have any concerns please don't hesitate to reach out!

Hannah
Ram Cares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me and my 2021 to the "Whistle coming from driver's side" group. Starts around 60 mph and gets louder from there, high pitched. AC Recirc doesn't seem to affect it either way.

Had my truck checked a couple weeks ago and both the tech and the service rep could hear the whistle. It looked like there were some incorrectly installed exterior trim pieces on the door so they ordered both the exterior and interior seals for the door. Dropped my truck off this Monday (17 May) and they replaced all those seals in the door, still whistles. They contacted RAM and ended up removing the dash and the rear seat to check those known problem areas and try to mitigate, no luck. Truck still whistles.

As of today they are going to re-seal and/or replace the windshield, not hopeful that's going to fix it. Any model year 21s experienced the same?

@RamCares

Sorry to hear that this is an ongoing concern, we encourage you to reach out and send us a private message! We would love to help in tandem with your dealer. Shoot us your VIN over to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea, that's what @Floyd said. However the dealer is re-sealing my windshield as directed by RAM corporate so I'd assume they are working to that same TSB.

Just an update: Re-sealing the windshield didn't work either. They are replacing the windshield tomorrow, whatever good that will do.

Dash Teardown = Found Nothing
Rear Seat Teardown = Found Nothing
Windshield Re-Seal = Didn't fix anything
Windshield Replacement = ???

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update: Re-sealing the windshield didn't work either. They are replacing the windshield tomorrow, whatever good that will do.

Dash Teardown = Found Nothing
Rear Seat Teardown = Found Nothing
Windshield Re-Seal = Didn't fix anything
Windshield Replacement = ???
2 Weeks + 1 Day after dropping this truck off it's still torn apart with no end in sight. Apparently they are unable to get a new windshield until at least 8 June! That will be 3+ weeks and approaching lemon law territory. Does anyone have any experience with a good lemon law attorney in the DFW, TX area?

jcorncracker

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of wind noise. I think it is mostly coming from the sunroof. Anyone else experience this?
Yes...searched for ever and finally found that if I push out on the passenger door the noise stops. Even though it also stops when sunroof is open. Getting fixed next week.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday (14 June...dropped it off 19 May). They said they plugged a hole behind the instrument cluster and replaced the windshield. Drive to 65mph, doesn't whistle on the way home. I'm super happy.

Fast forward to this morning, get on first real highway since getting the truck back and guess what....same annoying whistle. Only now it's at 70+ rather than 60. I immediately turn around and bring to dealership for a test drive, and just my freakin' luck it's not doing it anymore. Nor does it do it again on my drive home.

So....now I have an intermittent whistle that will be next to impossible to have a dealer service center verify since it comes and goes now. I have a feeling by the time RAM admits they need to replace this truck I won't be able to get the same one (already SOL on the color, and not many BTS left to manufacture).

Last edited:

bonebro

Reaction score
I’ve had lots of interior wind noise since I bought the truck in 2018. Tore the rear seats out and dynamatted everything. Adjusted all the doors and sunroof myself with no resolution. I took the truck in last week for an oil change and mentioned wind noise and told them the tops of the front doors try to suck open in crosswinds. They replaced the front door seals. Wow!! Quiet truck now! I drove 80mph on the highway this weekend in 60mph head and crosswinds with no whistling, wind noise or doors trying to suck open!! Good luck to everyone else trying to find their culprit. I feel for ya!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never had any specific noises I could pin point on my truck for wind noise. But that was really my only complaint with my 19 Hemi truck and my 20 ecodiesel. I always thought the cabin wasn’t nearly as quiet on the highway as I would expect. Now that I have my new Silverado it is noticeably quieter in the cabin than my Rams were.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never had any specific noises I could pin point on my truck for wind noise. But that was really my only complaint with my 19 Hemi truck and my 20 ecodiesel. I always thought the cabin wasn’t nearly as quiet on the highway as I would expect. Now that I have my new Silverado it is noticeably quieter in the cabin than my Rams were.
Yea I agree, other than the ridiculous whistle I'm being subjected to, the cabin does seem loud compared to other new trucks. I test drove a Sierra AT4 last week and it was noticeably quieter on the highway in terms of overall wind noise.

Users who are viewing this thread