5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday (14 June...dropped it off 19 May). They said they plugged a hole behind the instrument cluster and replaced the windshield. Drive to 65mph, doesn't whistle on the way home. I'm super happy.

Fast forward to this morning, get on first real highway since getting the truck back and guess what....same annoying whistle. Only now it's at 70+ rather than 60. I immediately turn around and bring to dealership for a test drive, and just my freakin' luck it's not doing it anymore. Nor does it do it again on my drive home.

So....now I have an intermittent whistle that will be next to impossible to have a dealer service center verify since it comes and goes now. I have a feeling by the time RAM admits they need to replace this truck I won't be able to get the same one (already SOL on the color, and not many BTS left to manufacture).

Same whistle here. SuPer disappointed in this truck since I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWB

Reaction score
I'm suspecting the retractable steps. Has anyone had this noise with fixed running boards?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same whistle here. SuPer disappointed in this truck since I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I diagnosed my issue, I saw this post on page 37 of this thread and the attached file :

Guys, here is the fix for the whistle/hoot noise in the A-Pillar area. The Star case document is attached. They performed the repair and no more annoying noises.

So I remove my own driver side A pillar cover and see this:
1624384489926.png

So I taped all those holes off, and plugged with modeling clay for good measure. Drove to 90+, no whistle. So I remove the tape/clay and whistle comes back at 70. I then plug my finger into that area while it's whistling and it goes away immediately. Repeated 5-6 times, 100% reproducible.

Dealer is gonna get back to me today so they can get their body repair "guy" to put some seam sealer in the area. I would do it myself but after fighting with them for over a month I want this fixed documented.

Attachments

• Apillar Noise star case.pdf
    190.5 KB · Views: 111

Mizzou.Mike

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my limited. It has been in the shop 2 times for it so far and now going in for a 3rd gtime for this tea kettle whistle. I have countless videos of it happening.

Shadow24

Reaction score
I had a whistling sound form drivers mirror as well. took is to dealership they were able to hear the noise and replaced the driver side mirror. said problem was fixed. not even a 1/4 mile from dealership noise is back. haven't been back to address this again. I guess I'll just drive with AC on all the time and keep windows up.

Bigga826

Reaction score
I’ve had lots of interior wind noise since I bought the truck in 2018. Tore the rear seats out and dynamatted everything. Adjusted all the doors and sunroof myself with no resolution. I took the truck in last week for an oil change and mentioned wind noise and told them the tops of the front doors try to suck open in crosswinds. They replaced the front door seals. Wow!! Quiet truck now! I drove 80mph on the highway this weekend in 60mph head and crosswinds with no whistling, wind noise or doors trying to suck open!! Good luck to everyone else trying to find their culprit. I feel for ya!
Hey! Do you happen to have the work order you can share a picture of? Do you know if the seals have been updated?

bonebro

Reaction score
Hey! Do you happen to have the work order you can share a picture of? Do you know if the seals have been updated?
Unfortunately they had no info for me if the seals had been updated or if there was a TSB tied to the front door seals. They also told me the drone at 42mph was not the active noise cancelling because my truck is not equipped with active noise cancelling. Ha! The window sticker says it is, there are 6 mics in the headliner and the ANC box under the driver seat. Long story short, I wouldn’t believe any info they told me so I have no info on the door seals.

dsood23421

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that this is an ongoing concern, we encourage you to reach out and send us a private message! We would love to help in tandem with your dealer. Shoot us your VIN over to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares
@RamCares : I am facing the same issue with my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. Just purchased over a month ago. The moment speed hits 40 mph+, whistle starts. It only goes away/hides behind the wind noise which starts at 65 mph+. Sending you the VIN in private chat. Thanks.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Here is a video of mine... turn your volume up all the way to hear it.

Ever get this fixed? If so what did they or you do? This what mine is doing and I don't know how to fix it. It is very annoying on quiet mornings

gwatt86

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the re circulation coming disengaged? Basically, I have recirculate on and its like it disengages although the light is still on. I can hear it get louder, feel the air blow harder (highway driving), and smell the air outside. When I turn it off and back on again real quick, I can literally hear it seal back up and I'm good for another 30-45 minutes before it happens again.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the re circulation coming disengaged? Basically, I have recirculate on and its like it disengages although the light is still on. I can hear it get louder, feel the air blow harder (highway driving), and smell the air outside. When I turn it off and back on again real quick, I can literally hear it seal back up and I'm good for another 30-45 minutes before it happens again.
Both my and and my brother's truck do the same thing. I have a '21 and he has a '20. It opens up for what I estimate ~20 seconds and closes back up on it's own. I assume it's a programmed behavior.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Both my and and my brother's truck do the same thing. I have a '21 and he has a '20. It opens up for what I estimate ~20 seconds and closes back up on it's own. I assume it's a programmed behavior.
Interesting. I started to wonder if it was on purpose today as I traveled. Seems crazy, never had a car do this before.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Interesting. I started to wonder if it was on purpose today as I traveled. Seems crazy, never had a car do this before.
It's to let fresh air to cycle through the vehicle. What is interesting is how much pressure or maybe suction there is to cause that rush of air to occur that haven't heard in any other vehicle. All vehicles let air though occasionally with recirc on to not let the air get stale on longer drives so the driver is more alert. It's this pressure or suction that I believe is causing my whistle noise.

aabel16

Reaction score
@RamCares Was just at the dealership, and both the Adviser and Service Tech heard the wind noise from my 2019 Ram. Said seals looked fine. They took another 2019 off the lot and realized it had the exact same noise going from 50-60MPH, so there was nothing they could do as the problem seems more widespread. How is there no TSB for this? Can you please help me resolve this? It's at the top of my drivers and passenger door. Almost like a "whipping" noise. Faint, but when you're driving for hours on end, drives you nutz! Silly problem for a $50k truck.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Update to my whistle situation.

Initially I thought I was only getting the rear whistle noise when I had a window down or cracked open a bit, however this past weekend I got to take it on the highway. Low & behold, I'm getting the darn whistle noise at highway speeds with the windows UP.

It's been doing this since the day I purchased it (end of Dec last year) and it doesn't sound like FCA is anywhere close to a permanent resolution (as I mentioned before, the seal in between the cab/bed did nothing for me).

My case manager is trying to do a truck swap for me at this point (fingers crossed). He's been very communicative & understanding in trying to get this resolved asap for me.

Here's a link to a short video I made from this past weekend while I was on the highway. This noise is constant, after 7 hours straight of it, I was ready to rip my ears out. I move the phone to the back so the whistle noise is more clear on video, however this noise is very audible in the front seats when in the the truck as well.

Did you figure this out? If so what was the solution?

DBUC

Reaction score
It's to let fresh air to cycle through the vehicle. What is interesting is how much pressure or maybe suction there is to cause that rush of air to occur that haven't heard in any other vehicle. All vehicles let air though occasionally with recirc on to not let the air get stale on longer drives so the driver is more alert. It's this pressure or suction that I believe is causing my whistle noise.
Having the same thing happen to me when I'm driving for more than one hour. I thought the actuator was bad. Has it been confirmed that it's programmed to do that?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Toyota Tundra would do that too. I heard it was a safety feature. I found out if I held the recirculation button down for 5 seconds, it would stay on until I shut off the truck. I'm not sure if that works on the Ram trucks but it's worth a try.

DBUC

Reaction score
To add to the whistling thread, I had a wind noise/whistle on the passenger side during the test drive before I bought the truck. Can start to hear it around 35mph and it gets louder the faster I go. Got the dealer to agree to fix it under warranty. Once at the dealer, the tech already knew how to resolve the issue. The body panels are not entirely sealed from the factory and this was causing a vacuum in the cabin and air was escaping while the recirculation was on. If you turned it off and used outside air, the whistle would stop. He pulled the dash out, applied body sealer to the seams. No more whistling noise.

Last edited:

Synergy26

Reaction score
To add to the whistling thread, I had a wind noise/whistle on the passenger side during the test drive before I bought the truck. Can start to hear it around 35mph and it gets louder the faster I go. Got the dealer to agree to fix it under warranty. Once at the dealer, the tech already knew how to resolve the issue. The body panels are not entirely sealed from the factory and this was causing a vacuum in the cabin and air was escaping while the recirculation was on. If you turned it off and used outside air, the whistle would stop. He pulled the dash out, applied body sealer to the seams. No more whistling noise.
They did tsb for mine and replaced the heater cooler box but it's didn't solve the issue. I wish they would have sealed the other areas while they were in there. They tried and I feel bad to complain more but it's so annoying. Anyone know how to take the dash off? Maybe I can look for myself and seal the body panels, anyone have pictures of the seams that need sealed?

Last edited:

DBUC

Reaction score
They did tsb for mine and replaced the heater cooler box but it's didn't solve the issue. I wish they would have sealed the other areas while they were in there. They tried and I feel bad to complain more but it's so annoying. Anyone know how to take the dash off? Maybe I can look for myself and seal the body panels, anyone have pictures of the seams that need sealed?
If it's still under warranty, you have the right to take it back have the dealer take another look.

Users who are viewing this thread