5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jason! I have heard it a few times since and agree that it's probably a gap in the weather stripping somewhere... I noticed today that the passenger side door sticks out a little in the top-back corner, I'm assuming this is where some turbulent air could rattle around causing the noise. I'll try to DIY with some weather stripping

You'll see this in other threads as well, but this stuff seems to work well. Sealed up my 3rd brake light nicely as well (better than the factory seal up there), no leaks yet.
1609355255297.png

NewRam92

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on my post for my wind noise issue on the passenger side. Today I took it on the highway and got up to 70-85 and you could hear pretty extreme wind noise the entire time. I tried folding the mirrors in, no change, still wind noise. Then I tried turning recirculation ON and you could physically hear something seal up and the noise went away completely.

I know others have said that having recirc on caused their problems, but for me it solved the problem. Maybe there’s just a loose connection to a vent or something

NewRam92

Reaction score
Apologies for the double post, here’s a video of my wind issue. Not too concerning because I do drive with recirculation on most of the time, but I’d still like to have this fixed in a $60k truck. Hope this helps others.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice video NewRam92! I am sorry that my earlier posts about extra weatherstripping were not helpful.

Bigga826

Reaction score
Apologies for the double post, here’s a video of my wind issue. Not too concerning because I do drive with recirculation on most of the time, but I’d still like to have this fixed in a $60k truck. Hope this helps others.
2020 Ram 1500, I have the same issue. The quality sucks on these trucks.

42Bert

Reaction score
I am having buyers regret. I had a 2019 Laramie and traded it for a 2021 Limited. The 2019 was so nice and quiet it spoiled me, it was a great drive. The 2021 Limited is like driving with a window cracked, lour. I am hoping a dealer can find the problem and fix it. I tried the recirc. fan, didn’t work for me.

obrien

Reaction score
So when I reach about ~50 mph (depends on wind etc) I start to hear whistling high pitched monotone noise. Even though it is not super loud it is unbearable as it is monotone and right into my left ear.

But I find out it is a mirror - when I fold them during a drive it immediately goes away, if I fold them up it is back. I tested it today on highway on cruise control and it works like a charm.

@RamCares: is that known issue now? Shall I just go to dealer or can I point them to some case from past to ease the process?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So when I reach about ~50 mph (depends on wind etc) I start to hear whistling high pitched monotone noise. Even though it is not super loud it is unbearable as it is monotone and right into my left ear.

But I find out it is a mirror - when I fold them during a drive it immediately goes away, if I fold them up it is back. I tested it today on highway on cruise control and it works like a charm.

@RamCares: is that known issue now? Shall I just go to dealer or can I point them to some case from past to ease the process?
Hi there @obrien, we are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with this concern. In order to determine resolutions to vehicle concerns, an in-person diagnosis must take place in order to exhaust all possible root causes. We would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf prior to your dealer visit in order to provide additional support during that process. Please do not hesitate to reach out privately!

Kathryn
RamCares

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is likely an issue with the overall venting of the cabin. The fact that recirculate stops it is a huge clue.
I've been posting about a different issue with my 2020 Limited and a booming noise in the back which I just discovered is being caused by the two vents on the back cabin wall. It goes away as soon as I open a window or sunroof.
I don't think RAM put enough thought into the proper venting of the cabin of these trucks before spitting them out. The air flow management sucks.

obrien

Reaction score
This is likely an issue with the overall venting of the cabin. The fact that recirculate stops it is a huge clue.
I've been posting about a different issue with my 2020 Limited and a booming noise in the back which I just discovered is being caused by the two vents on the back cabin wall. It goes away as soon as I open a window or sunroof.
I don't think RAM put enough thought into the proper venting of the cabin of these trucks before spitting them out. The air flow management sucks.
I would say there are different causes for different people. As in my case playing with AC does not make any difference, while folding the mirrors makes it go away instantly. I will see what dealer has to say

LogJammin

Reaction score
Solved my wind noise issue.

Problem: Lots of wind noise coming from driver and passenger side front windows. Noticeable at higher speeds (+70mph) or if a strong crosswind AND vents were on and set to fresh air. If recirc button was pressed, wind noise would go away. It was apparent that the fresh air setting was creating additional cabin pressure, which in turn was pushing out on the windows. Recirc eliminates the additional cabin pressure, but you can still recreate the noise by slightly pushing on the windows. Had to take a test drive with the mechanic so that he could confirm.

Solution: Replaced door gaskets on both front side doors. Report from mechanic said that the original gaskets were worn and slightly torn in some areas. The new gaskets fixed the wind noise issue...sounds like a new truck once again.

Also, I should mention that I had an earlier issue with road noise / rattling coming from the back of the truck cab. Again, problem would only occur when venting was on fresh air, and went away when recirc air button was pressed. This issue was eventually fixed by dealer installing gasket between the cab and bed of the truck.

If you're having either of these issues, I highly recommend having the door gaskets / cab-bed gasket examined.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Following up on my original video....

While having recirculation ON does greatly reduce this noise, it does NOT eliminate it. It's been windy here lately and driving on the highway the noise is still present even with recirculation ON. This leads me to believe it is indeed an issue with the door gasket not sealing properly. I do notice the passenger side door does not sit as flush to the cabin as the other doors. The top rear corner sticks out slightly, and I think this could be contributing to the issue. I'm going to ask the dealer about it today

Richluck

Reaction score
Got my Truck back from the dealer today, My whistle sounds was fixed! mine was coming from the lower windshield area when going 60+ MPH, it got worse when turning re circulation on or putting a window down. My noise was high pitched and pretty loud. I'm not sure of the exact details of this fix but im glad its good now. Attached are pics of the work order on what they did to correct it. Hope this helps
Sorry I know it's an old post but I think I am having this problem with my 2020. Had my truck at the dealer yesterday. Said they couldn't hear the whistle that I got at highway speeds and excessive wind noise. Tech said that this truck is quiet and drove around with me. He said couldn't hear it even sitting there as I drove. I could hear the slight whistle. Mine is not that bad but I can clearly hear it. He also admitted he has worked in a loud shop for most of his life so maybe his hearing wasn't the best. He then later blamed on it on my mirror when he folded it up and it went away for a few seconds. It's still there of course as I drove home.

Anyway, do you know where the location inside the cab/ left or right of the dash where the bolts were missing and what dash part would you remove inside? Next to the windsheld/ Above steering wheel? Thanks if you can remember!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Listed is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may address the vehicle concerns mentioned in this thread. Our team recommends taking your vehicle to your local Ram servicing dealership to have a technician inspect the details of both your vehicle and the TSB to see if it is applicable to you. While in service if you would like any additional support or assistance, please PM our team! We would love to help. Also feel free to reach out with any additional questions.

Hannah
Ram Cares

1620753796446.png

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks Ram cares - question - I had a new A/C - Heater Module installed in January of this year - part number 08193001 - is there something else that should be done ?

BigRJ66

Reaction score
Question? Do you have vent visors? They will create some wind noise. I have noise now that I did not notice before installing the in channel vent visors.

Users who are viewing this thread