5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not just add a spacer to level the air suspension...?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Watched an install video for Mopar 2” lift by Rustbelt Mechanic and he pointed out the ball stud on the uca for air ride suspension leveling link in the Mopar kit. This is good news.

A91C1F9C-4076-44E4-99C9-247C370EAD18.jpeg

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked with my contact and this is what he said with regard to disconnecting the supply line to the air ride strut (critical step to remove strut to install uca and spacer):

“I just ran out and talked to my supervising Tech and he said that to take off the line you would need a special tool and also to reattach it you would need to take it to a dealer for them to reprogram and recharge it.”

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will. The seller said he presets these for leveling.

Did you let him know you have a Limited? I believe the seller has a Rebel which has longer stock links.

In any event, the links you receive should be a little shorter than your stock links. If they are longer, do not install them.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you let him know you have a Limited? I believe the seller has a Rebel which has longer stock links.

In any event, the links you receive should be a little shorter than your stock links. If they are longer, do not install them.

I sure did, and don't know what he drives. I don't think that video is his.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sure did, and don't know what he drives. I don't think that video is his.

Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure. I've seen his YouTube video. Not a whole lot of verifiable info available on these things. I hear the same amount of good info as well as bad news.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the original front airdamper? Is it Bilstein?

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
I haven't assembled this yet, but if anyone wants to do it as well here are the parts:

Parts list for DIY leveling links (front)
4 each ($7.50 each) of Bansbach 8mm ball socket 22mm M5 thread
1 each ($2.42 each) of Fabory M5-0.80x1M threaded rod (you will need to cut this down to size)
4 each M5-0.80 nuts

Here are the parts I ordered from Grainger. Also need M5-0.80 nuts (easy to find at auto parts store or hardware store).

Bansbach 8mm Ball Socket 22mm M5 Thread
https://www.grainger.com/product/6U...58522c9f1624d4796e6fec12e8dc31a71445c63245414

Fabory M5-0.80x1m, Threaded Rod, Stainless Steel, A4, Plain
https://www.grainger.com/product/25...58522c9f1624d4796e6fec12e8dc31a71445c63245414
Have you tried the DIY links yet. I bought all the parts I just have not tried yet.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried the DIY links yet. I bought all the parts I just have not tried yet.

Not yet. Still doing research. What I really want is to add a 2” spacer, Mopar uca and the links to retain factory ride and full air ride functionality. My concern is with the air ride supply lines.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
Not yet. Still doing research. What I really want is to add a 2” spacer, Mopar uca and the links to retain factory ride and full air ride functionality. My concern is with the air ride supply lines.
What the lines have to do with leveling by the links.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Pnorth

The only thing is I don't know how much to adjust the links by. It is all trial and error. Once that is figured out, then a bracket would work great for the final product. Man, I wish one of these companies would do it but I understand why they don't lol.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a place to start. Adjustableairride.com sells premade links for $199. They have downloadable instructions and the ones for the 2018 1500 state that 5mm front adjustment equals .75-1" in ride height. Also, the front links should be shortened to raise ride height while the rear should be shortened.
Have not tried any of this but should give you a rough guide.

Pnorth

Reaction score
@Pnorth

The only thing is I don't know how much to adjust the links by. It is all trial and error. Once that is figured out, then a bracket would work great for the final product. Man, I wish one of these companies would do it but I understand why they don't lol.
I see and I understand you’re breaking ground with no support. Wish my truck was in so we could exchange info on a different level. How about this though: if you look at this installation manual from AEV you see that they’re using a bracket to extend the link you want to replace. Perhaps some one on a Ram forum has this and can tell you the lengt they are in order to accommodate a 4” and then calculate from that? https://www.aev-conversions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AEV30308AA_1500_Air_Ride.pdf

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a place to start. Adjustableairride.com sells premade links for $199. They have downloadable instructions and the ones for the 2018 1500 state that 5mm front adjustment equals .75-1" in ride height. Also, the front links should be shortened to raise ride height while the rear should be shortened.
Have not tried any of this but should give you a rough guide.

The geometry changes dramatically with a lift spacer though. So the spacer itself is less than 2" but weird science provides 2.5" of lift. Then the air ride link needs to be adjusted to compensate for the spacer otherwise it will self adjust and get back to stock height or worse.

The 2019 system is completely new so no one has published any install like this. 4th gen rebels have done it but their stock leveling links are longer than 2019.

I don't want to be the guinea pig lol.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see and I understand you’re breaking ground with no support. Wish my truck was in so we could exchange info on a different level. How about this though: if you look at this installation manual from AEV you see that they’re using a bracket to extend the link you want to replace. Perhaps some one on a Ram forum has this and can tell you the lengt they are in order to accommodate a 4” and then calculate from that? https://www.aev-conversions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AEV30308AA_1500_Air_Ride.pdf

Problem is 4th gen stock links are longer than 2019. That's why they are taking so long to come out with a 2019 kit. So I think the math is also different. It probably needs trial and error adjustments. The other complication is the air ride on rebels and trucks with the off road package have different air struts and compressors for the extra 1" lift. So complicated lol!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Problem is 4th gen stock links are longer than 2019. That's why they are taking so long to come out with a 2019 kit. So I think the math is also different. It probably needs trial and error adjustments. The other complication is the air ride on rebels and trucks with the off road package have different air struts and compressors for the extra 1" lift. So complicated lol!

Yep, you called it. The guy I bought from sent the links but they are longer. He is trying to get a Limited to measure, and I losing my patience with him because he told me Sunday he would be at the dealer Monday. I ordered them on the 22nd

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, you called it. The guy I bought from sent the links but they are longer. He is trying to get a Limited to measure, and I losing my patience with him because he told me Sunday he would be at the dealer Monday. I ordered them on the 22nd

Is this from Mike Bits?

He has a great reputation with Rebel owners and his links are flexible which seems to put less stress on the sensor arm. So I would say it will be worth the wait. Also ask him to verify the ball socket size. My understanding is top and bottom are 8mm for 2019.

He is active in the Rebel Owners Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread