5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not just add a spacer to level the air suspension...?

Pnorth

Reaction score
Keep reading, trying to learn more and wondering about the air suspension and its possibilities and limits, while waiting for mine to arrive. And since I've never had a Ram before, or been able to look closer at the suspension or chassi, it is a bit of guessing and guesstimating :unsure:. I appreciate your patience with me :)

However... having looked closer at the lift kits from AEV and BDS for the previous model I see that they both are using spacers on top of the "strut" to gain the height of 4-6".

Yes, of course there is a lot of other brackets there as well for the lift of this magnitude, but I am wondering why one can't just use a spacer like they are doing, but shorter and for leveling instead? What am I missing? :) And - I assume the bolt pattern on top of the air strut is the same as the non-air and hence why couldn't a spacer for the non-air be tested? Perhaps even some one has?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Links to the sensors would have to be modified and any hardlines for the air system as well. Lifting air ride is complicated and I would think just throwing a spacer in is going to cause a lot of issues.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
And more importantly, the air suspension is self leveling. So are you trying to level, or lift?

Pnorth

Reaction score
Links to the sensors would have to be modified and any hardlines for the air system as well. Lifting air ride is complicated and I would think just throwing a spacer in is going to cause a lot of issues.
Yes, when looking at the AEV kit it has three things related to the air spring - a spacer, an air hose extension and a height sensor bracket.

Pnorth

Reaction score
And more importantly, the air suspension is self leveling. So are you trying to level, or lift?
Level without using a link that cheats the system to think it is at a different level than it is - so level and get rid of the rake with a spacer. And I guess the question then was - which other parts are needed in order to do this - the ones I mention in the reply above?

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Level without using a link that cheats the system to think it is at a different level than it is - so level and get rid of the rake with a spacer. And I guess the question then was - which other parts are needed in order to do this - the ones I mention in the reply above?

I see, so you're worried there's an inherent rake to the truck with the suspension all set at the same amount of extension (or % of travel)?

Isn't the rake on regular suspension due to spring rates/length that account for higher amounts of the payload being expected to be on the rear axle when loaded, that aren't a part of the air suspension? And isn't doing just the front link a band aid fix to raise the front to match the unloaded rear height of a regular suspension?

Sorry for all the question marks, but I genuinely don't know and hope someone who knows will clarify. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of what you're asking about doing.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would also want a modified UCA to compensate for the change in ball joint angle from the spacer. The Mopar 2" lift kit has a uca with the ball socket stud for the air ride link sensor. But I wouldn't buy the whole kit just for the uca and spacer lol. Then I would have to buy modifed sensor links as well. Hopefully someone comes out with a kit. None so far though after all these years.

Pnorth

Reaction score
I see, so you're worried there's an inherent rake to the truck with the suspension all set at the same amount of extension (or % of travel)?

Isn't the rake on regular suspension due to spring rates/length that account for higher amounts of the payload being expected to be on the rear axle when loaded, that aren't a part of the air suspension? And isn't doing just the front link a band aid fix to raise the front to match the unloaded rear height of a regular suspension?

Sorry for all the question marks, but I genuinely don't know and hope someone who knows will clarify. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of what you're asking about doing.

Yes, there is a rake there. I would guess mainly for aerodynamic purposes. Some like it some don’t.

Yes, the difference on the regular suspension so that it levels when loaded, as well as aerodynamic reasons also, I would think. Many does level for looks and then face a challenge in the rear when towing. Some fix it with air bags.

However I would think a leveled air suspension truck still would level itself when towing, as it normally does. Or maybe I am wrong?

I am not looking for a lift, just a level and curious about what parts would be necessary and I guess the uca perhaps should be added to the equation.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it will still level itself as long as the sensor links maintain (or thinks it maintains) the factory settings. This is why you probably need both front and rear sensor links since the rear angle will change when you lift the front so you would need to trick the rear sensor as well.

This is probably why no one wants to make a complete kit. Too much of a PITA to figure all this out.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

If just looking for a level, have you seen the adjustable replacement links? People have have using this inexpensive mod on past trucks for years. @0212353 used adjustable links on the front of his 19 setup. I have read on some old rebel posts that people have also switched the front and back 'LINKAGE HEIGHT SENSOR'. I have wondered if one could order some combination of stock parts (68212621AA or 68202620AA) to achieve a level with air suspension.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/leveled-my-air-ride.1106/#post-14997

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If just looking for a level, have you seen the adjustable replacement links? People have have using this inexpensive mod on past trucks for years. @0212353 used adjustable links on the front of his 19 setup. I have read on some old rebel posts that people have also switched the front and back 'LINKAGE HEIGHT SENSOR'. I have wondered if one could order some combination of stock parts (68212621AA or 68202620AA) to achieve a level with air suspension.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/leveled-my-air-ride.1106/#post-14997

I've heard different reviews on this. Many did not like the stiffer ride.

Pnorth

Reaction score
I've heard different reviews on this. Many did not like the stiffer ride.
I've heard the same from some - that it isn't a pleasant ride when getting up to OR2 - and then others say nothing. Guess there is one way to find out - order various links and try - unless some one has them and wants to pitch in.

I also noticed another thing when looking at the AEV kit - they supply a bracket for the height sensor up front - and rear. Which I assume makes the sensor sit just like on a truck without a lift and hence remove the sensor angle issue.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove around in OR1 and didn’t like the ride on pavement. But that’s just me.

I like the bracket idea. Surprised the AEV kit doesn’t have uca.

Pnorth

Reaction score
I drove around in OR1 and didn’t like the ride on pavement. But that’s just me.

I like the bracket idea. Surprised the AEV kit doesn’t have uca.
Me too. They have a taller spindle so they don't need the uca correction. I think it was KSN280 that said it comes to a point of lifting where you can't correct for the angle on the uca any longer but you need to have a taller spindle.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another potential idea is to get the Mopar 2" lift and have the dealer do the install of the front spacer and uca only and then reprogram the air ride sensor.

The guys that have done the daystar spacer on 4th gen air ride have also used adjustable links that are shorter than stock.

Pnorth

Reaction score
Another potential idea is to get the Mopar 2" lift and have the dealer do the install of the front spacer and uca only and then reprogram the air ride sensor.

The guys that have done the daystar spacer on 4th gen air ride have also used adjustable links that are shorter than stock.
Interesting. So, when reprogramming the air ride sensor - do you know what actually takes place - how do they go about that ans what actually happens?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. So, when reprogramming the air ride sensor - do you know what actually takes place - how do they go about that ans what actually happens?

From what I've read, the dealer can change the settings to adjust the height. Some have done this to fix driver side lean due to the gas tank. I can't recall exactly what settings are changed, but they can do it.

Pnorth

Reaction score
From what I've read, the dealer can change the settings to adjust the height. Some have done this to fix driver side lean due to the gas tank. I can't recall exactly what settings are changed, but they can do it.
Cool. Do you know if hat affects Or1 or Or2 ride quality in any way, or does the reprogramming make it keep the stock ride?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool. Do you know if hat affects Or1 or Or2 ride quality in any way, or does the reprogramming make it keep the stock ride?

I believe they just change one setting and the rest are programmed automatically but I could be wrong. This keeps the stock ride.

Users who are viewing this thread