5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not just add a spacer to level the air suspension...?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this from Mike Bits?

He has a great reputation with Rebel owners and his links are flexible which seems to put less stress on the sensor arm. So I would say it will be worth the wait. Also ask him to verify the ball socket size. My understanding is top and bottom are 8mm for 2019.

He is active in the Rebel Owners Facebook page.

Yes, it's Mike. He seems nice, just want to see some action but I'll try and contain my excitement :) Thanks!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's too bad the links changed for 2019, there is a ton of info out there on link mods. The problem being, and a concern for a few of you, is that link mods can put a lot of stress on the air ride system. Tread lightly fellas, there have been a few nightmarish endings to some of the early modding attempts on the 4th Gens.

The more successful modders seemed to be the guys that only slightly raised the front (about and inch) and slightly lowered the rear to level off the look and make room for a bit more rubber. Most reported great success with small increments.

A10

Reaction score
I haven't assembled this yet, but if anyone wants to do it as well here are the parts:

Parts list for DIY leveling links (front)
4 each ($7.50 each) of Bansbach 8mm ball socket 22mm M5 thread
1 each ($2.42 each) of Fabory M5-0.80x1M threaded rod (you will need to cut this down to size)
4 each M5-0.80 nuts

Here are the parts I ordered from Grainger. Also need M5-0.80 nuts (easy to find at auto parts store or hardware store).

Bansbach 8mm Ball Socket 22mm M5 Thread
https://www.grainger.com/product/6U...58522c9f1624d4796e6fec12e8dc31a71445c63245414

Fabory M5-0.80x1m, Threaded Rod, Stainless Steel, A4, Plain
https://www.grainger.com/product/25...58522c9f1624d4796e6fec12e8dc31a71445c63245414

Have you tried/installed this yet? If so, how did it go?

Pnorth

Reaction score
Not yet. Still doing research.
Unless you have some one else there, or you are going yourself, SEMA is a couple of weeks out and I guess much will be revealed...? Anyways, I'll be there and if I see anything that gives a measurement, etc. I'll report. :)

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you have some one else there, or you are going yourself, SEMA is a couple of weeks out and I guess much will be revealed...? Anyways, I'll be there and if I see anything that gives a measurement, etc. I'll report. :)

Sounds good. At this point I don’t have solid info on how to proceed.

My preference would be 2” spacer, Mopar uca and adjustable link/sensor relocation bracket.

Issues are:
1. Disconnecting and reconnecting air ride supply lines. I was advised that a special tool is needed and recharge and recalibration as well. The other potential issue is whether the lines need to be extended since the fitting sits at the top of the strut. 4th gen seems ok but no one has done it on a 5th gen to confirm.
2. Adjustment for links or relocation bracket. Spacer will increase the distance between the ball stud in the uca and the sensor arm. So system will think truck is too high and deflate air strut according to specs. Therefore link needs to be shortened or sensor raised. But exactly how much know one knows.

Last edited:

Pnorth

Reaction score
Sounds good. At this point I don’t have solid info on how to proceed.

My preference would be 2” spacer, Mopar uca and adjustable link/sensor relocation bracket.

Issues are:
1. Disconnecting and reconnecting air ride supply lines. I was advised that a special tool is needed and recharge and recalibration as well. The other potential issue is whether the lines need to be extended since the fitting sits at the top of the strut. 4th gen seems ok but no one has done it on a 5th gen to confirm.
2. Adjustment for links or relocation bracket. Spacer will increase the distance between the ball stud in the uca and the sensor arm. So system will think truck is too high and deflate air strut according to specs. Therefore link needs to be shortened or sensor raised. But exactly how much know one knows.
Can I PM you tomorrow?

th3duke

Reaction score
Watched an install video for Mopar 2” lift by Rustbelt Mechanic and he pointed out the ball stud on the uca for air ride suspension leveling link in the Mopar kit. This is good news.

View attachment 5709
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and was also curious about the 2 inch kit for my new 2019 Rebel with air. Looking at this new kit, it appears it isn't compatible with the air ride and Rebel trucks based on this: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/77072424/2-Inch+Lift+Kit.html

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and was also curious about the 2 inch kit for my new 2019 Rebel with air. Looking at this new kit, it appears it isn't compatible with the air ride and Rebel trucks based on this: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/77072424/2-Inch+Lift+Kit.html

Yes it is not compatible.

The only potential opportunity right now is to add a spacer and adjustable link. I say opportunity because no one has done this for a 2019. Many 2018 Rebels have done this. However the sensor link on 2019s are shorter so some research is needed.

Many are concerned with the ball joint angle so using the Mopar uca is a viable option since it has the ball stud for the air ride sensor link.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This little bugger lol. My service guys says a special tool is needed to disconnect the air ride supply line. Anyone know if that is true or not. I don’t think so. Thanks

There is some room for a lift spacer but not much without having to extend the line.
20BBC2CD-7AC9-4BA7-B222-74BC8B9730A7.jpeg

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a potential issue with adding a lift spacer on top of the air ride strut. The spacer hole for the air ride fitting essentially becomes a cup that traps mud and debris with no way for drainage. Potentially causing corrosion of the fitting.

A Rebel with BDS lift reported a similar issue. The spacer on the bds lift is much taller than the daystar spacer that is typically used. This would fully encapsulate the fitting.

Pic below is the daystar spacer. 2CE3B6E2-1C19-47B2-98A5-1BC719C466F8.jpeg

292244C9-441F-41A5-BCDC-A64F723C36E8.jpeg

Pnorth

Reaction score
Here is a potential issue with adding a lift spacer on top of the air ride strut. The spacer hole for the air ride fitting essentially becomes a cup that traps mud and debris with no way for drainage. Potentially causing corrosion of the fitting.

A Rebel with BDS lift reported a similar issue. The spacer on the bds lift is much taller than the daystar spacer that is typically used. This would fully encapsulate the fitting.

Pic below is the daystar spacer. View attachment 8683

View attachment 8684
Take a look at my post on “what did you do to... today” it has arrived and we start looking into it now...

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, You wouldn't happen to have the diagrams for the rear also, would you? Do you know if the rear and front spring on the non airsuspensiomn models are the same on gen 4 as on this?

See below.

Rear suspension diagram.jpg rear susp parts list 1.jpg rear susp parts list 2.jpg rear susp parts list 3.jpg rear susp parts list 4.jpg rear susp parts list 5.jpg rear susp parts list 6.jpg

noanoa

Reaction score
Yes, there is a rake there. I would guess mainly for aerodynamic purposes. Some like it some don’t.

Yes, the difference on the regular suspension so that it levels when loaded, as well as aerodynamic reasons also, I would think. Many does level for looks and then face a challenge in the rear when towing. Some fix it with air bags.

However I would think a leveled air suspension truck still would level itself when towing, as it normally does. Or maybe I am wrong?

I am not looking for a lift, just a level and curious about what parts would be necessary and I guess the uca perhaps should be added to the equation.

Your not wrong. Because I leveled my 2017 2500 and it has airbags in the rear and I tow a lot and it levels the truck. It’s awesome. Unless the 2019 1/2 ton is different. I doubt it.
I too am trying to figure out the 2019 1500 and how to lift it a couple inches and still have the air suspension buonce it’s 3 levels. Mine should be arriving at the dealer any day.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man please keep me posted on your finding.

Mike and I went back and forth, he sent a few different sets to try and I have reported back to him my findings that seem to level the truck with about 1/4" rake in the rear. I believe he is making these links non adjustable so whoever wants a set can order them from his website next week. I am pleased with what I have now and the ride really hasn't changed once I drove it a few times.

https://www.linksforram.com/

Mike seemed to be a standup guy, who can make anything. He is looking for ideas if anyone has them

sass

Reaction score
Can you let him know that he needs to fix his words for suspension??? Found this on the link you gave “ Leveling links for your air suspantion”

Yeah yeah I know.... grammar police.

-sass

Users who are viewing this thread