5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Or sell it outright and some one who really wants that configuration will pay for it!

Our new outback has adaptive cruise, and basically auto drive. Never thought I would want it, but now that I’ve gotten used to it, I wish my truck had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with Malodave. Get yourself a Comma and be one of the few of us with self-driving 1500’s!

BmoreStew

Reaction score
On the topic of long beds on crew cabs.… I’ve got one and love it. Carry’s more by volume, tows better in theory, and looks awesome. I grew up in a time and place where 8’ beds were the norm… a 5’ bed just looks stumpy to me.

It definitely hangs a foot or so out of most parking spots, but sooooo many vehicles do these days. It’s funny watching public preference yo-yo between large and small vehicles every decade or so. Anyway, I’ve had no problems with length; the height however….

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the topic of long beds on crew cabs.… I’ve got one and love it. Carry’s more by volume, tows better in theory, and looks awesome. I grew up in a time and place where 8’ beds were the norm… a 5’ bed just looks stumpy to me.

It definitely hangs a foot or so out of most parking spots, but sooooo many vehicles do these days. It’s funny watching public preference yo-yo between large and small vehicles every decade or so. Anyway, I’ve had no problems with length; the height however….
From everything I've read, the longer wheelbase definitely increases towing stability, especially with longer Trailers (like 26 feet plus).

"Stumpy" is an excellent descriptor. Something about the front end and increased lift of a Rebel makes it look not as strange to me, but for most everything else it just seems disproportionate. Probably more personal visual preference than anything.

And I was definitely wondering about the height. Parking garage at my job is probably out at this point. I should be doing more walking anyway 😅

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That yo-yo is a government stooge who comes up with wonderful ideas like clash for clunkers and insane gas prices

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From everything I've read, the longer wheelbase definitely increases towing stability, especially with longer Trailers (like 26 feet plus).

"Stumpy" is an excellent descriptor. Something about the front end and increased lift of a Rebel makes it look not as strange to me, but for most everything else it just seems disproportionate. Probably more personal visual preference than anything.

And I was definitely wondering about the height. Parking garage at my job is probably out at this point. I should be doing more walking anyway 😅
That's what air ride is for. My mom's grand cherokee fits in a single car garage stall without issue with the mirrors folded in and the air ride dropped down to entry/exit. Plenty of room to spare height wise.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what air ride is for. My mom's grand cherokee fits in a single car garage stall without issue with the mirrors folded in and the air ride dropped down to entry/exit. Plenty of room to spare height wise.
Our house was built by it's (one and only) previous owner, so the dimensions he used were very much personal preference. My head barely clears the doors and I'm only 5'7''

He built it at a time where almost no one was using SUV's as daily drivers, never mind pick-up trucks. I could probably get into my job's garage in entry exit, but I thought you couldn't drive at all in that?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our house was built by it's (one and only) previous owner, so the dimensions he used were very much personal preference. My head barely clears the doors and I'm only 5'7''

He built it at a time where almost no one was using SUV's as daily drivers, never mind pick-up trucks. I could probably get into my job's garage in entry exit, but I thought you couldn't drive at all in that?
I'm not sure on a Ram, but my mi madre's 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit, you can drop into entry/exit below 15 or 20mph. When I drive it with her, I start dropping it down when I pull into parking lots or into her neighborhood.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My Laramie with the LEER 122 High Rise Cap is 90" tall at normal ride height. So anything with
less than an 8 foot clearance, I avoid. The Air Suspension can get me another 2-3 inches of clearance
if absolutely needed.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I could probably get into my job's garage in entry exit, but I thought you couldn't drive at all in that?
Going a little off-topic, but you can drive in all of the air suspension modes. The worst that will happen in entry/exit is it will automatically raise up once you exceed a certain speed (I think it's around 15 mph). I guess you could have issues if you drive fast in parking garages LOL. The wife sets hers to entry/exit before she backs down the driveway so she won't have to wait for it to lower once she gets into the garage. And if she's riding with me she'll hit the button to lower it once we enter a parking lot, because I always forget. 🤷‍♂️

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Going a little off-topic, but you can drive in all of the air suspension modes. The worst that will happen in entry/exit is it will automatically raise up once you exceed a certain speed (I think it's around 15 mph). I guess you could have issues if you drive fast in parking garages LOL. The wife sets hers to entry/exit before she backs down the driveway so she won't have to wait for it to lower once she gets into the garage. And if she's riding with me she'll hit the button to lower it once we enter a parking lot, because I always forget. 🤷‍♂️
My first experience with the ram air suspension was driving a 2021 Limited fully loaded that had just come off the truck earlier that day and was still in ship mode. It was stuck in entry exit mode and we couldn’t change it. I drove it anyway, but the whole truck was shaking because the front alignment was out so bad.

BigD

Reaction score
Because stores barely make parking spots big enough for trucks with the short bed as it is. It would suck parking a long bed. I've been in construction 20 yrs. My short bed CC suits me just fine. I have a bed extender & a 12 ft enclosed trailer with a ladder rack when needed. My short bed fits all my tools that I use daily. My truck also doubles as my personal vehicle, & I have no problem putting a Christmas tree, camping, or hunting gear into my short bed. Plus my truck fits nicely in my standard 20 ft garage space. I guess if u don't mind parking outside & parking far away at stores & walking, then get the long bed.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because stores barely make parking spots big enough for trucks with the short bed as it is. It would suck parking a long bed. I've been in construction 20 yrs. My short bed CC suits me just fine. I have a bed extender & a 12 ft enclosed trailer with a ladder rack when needed. My short bed fits all my tools that I use daily. My truck also doubles as my personal vehicle, & I have no problem putting a Christmas tree, camping, or hunting gear into my short bed. Plus my truck fits nicely in my standard 20 ft garage space. I guess if u don't mind parking outside & parking far away at stores & walking, then get the long bed.
I guess it all depends on perspective - my work truck is a 1 ton CC with an 8ft box so my CC 6.4 seems small. I live in a large city and park in in lots, ramps and parallel parking - the height is worse than length for ramps. I think the cameras make parking pretty easy. I also full the bed up with gear at least 1-2 times a month. I get why the short bed is more popular though and it has allowed me to get some great deals on long beds so I'll just be happy!

BigD

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on perspective - my work truck is a 1 ton CC with an 8ft box so my CC 6.4 seems small. I live in a large city and park in in lots, ramps and parallel parking - the height is worse than length for ramps. I think the cameras make parking pretty easy. I also full the bed up with gear at least 1-2 times a month. I get why the short bed is more popular though and it has allowed me to get some great deals on long beds so I'll just be happy!
Let me guess, your in the concrete business? Those are the only guys who drive 1 tons. I side houses. The 1/2 ton does me just fine. Had a 3/4 ton Chevy when I used to pull dump trailers. Traded it when I started pulling a 6x12 enclosed & realized i didn't need that much truck any longer.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me guess, your in the concrete business? Those are the only guys who drive 1 tons. I side houses. The 1/2 ton does me just fine. Had a 3/4 ton Chevy when I used to pull dump trailers. Traded it when I started pulling a 6x12 enclosed & realized i didn't need that much truck any longer.
Nope - natural resources but with 5 person crews sharing a truck and hauling lots of tools, herbicide etc. Lots of 3/4 and 1 tons for wildfire slip-ons (water tanks and hose/pump). We haul trailers fairly often for side by sides and equipment but often drive off-road as well so can't always haul a trailer.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve owned a CC 6’4 bed for 2 years now and I can honestly say never once have I been in any scenario where I wished I had the shorter bed. I drive it into downtown LA & SD all the time, parallel park it, or park it in normal spots and it fits everywhere. It really doesn’t hang out a crazy amount ever. It’s not a true crew cab long bed (8’ bed) that sticks out everywhere lol. I’ve been limited by parking structure height a few times, but never by length. Except my garage lol but even a quad cab wouldn’t fit in my garage!

Selcher

Reaction score
My two 4th gens were both CC/5'7 set ups. This new 2022 Limited Night Edition is a 6'4 box. I wasn't specifically looking for the extra box length but was happy to get it. With the new 5th gens, the CC's are an extra 4 inches over the 4th gens I do believe. It makes the CC/5'7 configs look a little imbalanced to me or like one of them Ford Sport Trac's, which I hate the look of. Further to that, I plan on lifting this truck 4 inches and I believe the 9 inch longer bed will look much more proportioned and even looking considering the extra cab length. It rides nice, that's for sure.

Attachments

• 3CD9B133-909D-4CAC-9AAD-487F20347EDD.jpeg
    3CD9B133-909D-4CAC-9AAD-487F20347EDD.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread