5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any Harley Touring bike won't fit in a 5'7" bed without the rear wheel riding on the tailgate. I take my bike (Street Gilde) to Arizona in the winter. Here's a picture of it in my F150 with 6 1/2 foot bed. Haven't taken it with my 1500 yet thanks to the Pandemic. That's View attachment 113286 View attachment 113287 the reason I got the 6" 4" bed.
There's no problem with the rear tire resting on the tailgate, even with a heavy bike like a Harley.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone’s a critic when they see a truck that isn’t hauling or towing.

But no one says word when they see a sports car that isn’t racing on a track.

Or a boat not being used for fishing.

Etc.

Hypocrisy.

Besides, am I helping employ more people buying a $2000 sh*tbox, or a new $70k truck?

I think if folks want to dictate how others spend money, they better be comfortable with others dictating how they earn money.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any Harley Touring bike won't fit in a 5'7" bed without the rear wheel riding on the tailgate. I take my bike (Street Gilde) to Arizona in the winter. Here's a picture of it in my F150 with 6 1/2 foot bed. Haven't taken it with my 1500 yet thanks to the Pandemic. That's View attachment 113286 View attachment 113287 the reason I got the 6" 4" bed.

Yeahhhh your tailgate is rated for that little bit of weight on the tailgate..
c6678459793b4d6c7c862c52bf470df1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
All a matter of opinion....and needs. I think the 5'7" bed looks a tad odd on a Crew cab. The 6'4" looks more balanced, to be at least.. Although I don't haul my motorcycles anymore, it was tight but possible on a 6'4", not possible with the 5'7". Also, 8 foot long wood moulding will just barely fit diagonally if I need to keep my hard cover on. Downside is the noticeably bigger turning radius. Tight U turns at traffic lights can be challenging.
IF...I didn't have big dogs, I'd have a quad cab (still not bad in back) and a 6'4" bed, imho the perfect combo for looks and practicality. Heck, if I didn't have a wife, I'd likely have a single cab...

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yeahhhh your tailgate is rated for that little bit of weight on the tailgate..
c6678459793b4d6c7c862c52bf470df1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the first things I did was buy the hardware and make my bed extender work... Nice.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I've got two long beds, use them and like them. One from a lot, one ordered that way. Just my preference for what I do with them. Glad we have the choice.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish they would of offered the Rambox option then I would of went this route wouldn’t mind the additional space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clv22p

Reaction score
I’ve never had a truck with over a 6ft bed until this one. Now I’ll never have another one with out it.
I carry a 6ft ladder with me a lot. It’s nice to be able to lay it in the bed without it sticking over the tailgate.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I looked all over to get the crew cab with the 6' 4" bed and yes the truck is long but not as long as the crew cab 8' bed I saw yesterday. I use my truck and bed as a truck and second as a family vehicle. Unfortunately, 1/2 ton pickup have become more of family vehicles and not the work horses they use to be. So, the cabs have gotten bigger and the beds smaller. I will say that the crew cab doesn't need to be quite as large as it is to be comfortable but I can't see having a shorter bed than the 6' 4" and I am still a little upset they reduce it from 6' 6". I do agree it does have challenges in parking lots due to the length but could you imagine if it still had the turn ratio of the early 90s.

jgc650i

Reaction score
As others have said, to each their own. I myself love the 6.4 and wouldn’t get anything else. I have a 2019 I bought off the lot and have a 2022 on order soon to be delivered in the weeks ahead. I agree with the parking concern, but like others I just park further back in more open sections of parking lots. I may only haul something big enough that it makes a difference 2 or 3 times a year, but when I need it it’s there. I also think visually it looks better and more proportional overall. . . helps with my OCD! 😉

Kaderast

Reaction score
When I was test driving trucks, I brought home a short box (on an F150) and realized neither my 177cm or 181cm skis could lay flat in the bed of the truck. It was at that point that I decided the 5'7" bed trucks were strictly for soccer moms. As it is even with the 6'4" bed they just barely fit. 20220328_182550.jpg

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I could have ordered my truck with a CC and an 8" bed I would have done it.
Yes it would be a ver-ry long truck, but I could deal with it to get what I needed.

Malodave

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it comes down to primary mission.

When I first started my contracting company I had the truck loaded to the brim every day as a work vehicle. I had an 8 ft bed and couldn’t conceive of making even a 6.5’ bed work.

Years later a truck for me is a family, recreational, commuter, and work truck - in combination and in that order.

So the short bed is perfect 85% of the time NOW. Would never work back THEN.

The other 15% of the time I have a flat bed trailer that has more volume and carrying capacity than any truck bed could dream of.

I just can’t rationalize carrying around extra, unused truck most of the time unless WORK is the mission of the vehicle. For ME, NOW, I feel the unwieldiness would cancel out what otherwise makes a short bed crew cab such a perfect family and recreational vehicle.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was test driving trucks, I brought home a short box (on an F150) and realized neither my 177cm or 181cm skis could lay flat in the bed of the truck. It was at that point that I decided the 5'7" bed trucks were strictly for soccer moms. As it is even with the 6'4" bed they just barely fit. View attachment 124571
Did you make the ski holders?

Users who are viewing this thread