5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious why I don't see any at the dealers. I would of loved to have a crew cab with the 6.4 bed but found non when shopping around. Sure I could of ordered it, but didn't want to wait. I have 4 wheelers and a go cart so having a 5.7 bed was too short for me.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably because the bigger demand for the 1500s at least and nicer trim levels don’t use the bed much. I put myself in that category.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Garage fit...would have preferred the longer bed, but the quad‘s back seat didn’t suit tall kids or parents, so went with crew/5’7

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably because the bigger demand for the 1500s at least and nicer trim levels don’t use the bed much. I put myself in that category.
I'm in that category too. My truck is for comfort and convenience for the rare times I might need to haul a few sheets of plywood or a mattress. Fitting in the garage isn't an issue for me because my garage is 30 ft deep LOL. But it's tough enough to parallel park this beast with the short bed. Adding another foot or so in length wouldn't make it any easier.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the short bed for ease of parking. Truck fits in my current garage but looking at houses recently and they seem to all have 20’ garages which even a short bed won’t fit.

Ipeeonmyballs

Reaction score
I didn’t even realize I bought one with the 6’4 bed till I measured for a cover. I had a 5’7 bed before this one and I can tell you the 6’4 is a significant difference in terms of ride quality. It is smoother and more stable in my opinion. No question on the highway the 6’4 with longer wheelbase is the better cruiser. Didn’t take much to get used to the extra nine inches or so.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I didn’t even realize I bought one with the 6’4 bed till I measured for a cover. I had a 5’7 bed before this one and I can tell you the 6’4 is a significant difference in terms of ride quality. It is smoother and more stable in my opinion. No question on the highway the 6’4 with longer wheelbase is the better cruiser. Didn’t take much to get used to the extra nine inches or so.
That's what she said!

yes-it-is-a-crew-cab-long-bed-i-had-to-buy-a-truck-that-matches-something-else-i-have.jpg

😁 🤓

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Just curious why I don't see any at the dealers. I would of loved to have a crew cab with the 6.4 bed but found non when shopping around. Sure I could of ordered it, but didn't want to wait. I have 4 wheelers and a go cart so having a 5.7 bed was too short for me.
this is what I want. and maybe why it is taking so long!

I agree with you I like a longer bed

I would have liked the foot bed.

but want the softer ride of a 1500

I had a club cab with an 8 foot bed and liked it very much.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was getting a crew cab with a 6.4' bed I would have gotten a 2500. I wanted the truck to fit in my garage and the 2500 didn't, so I got the QC 1500 with a 6.4' bed.
I've had a CC with a 5.7' and that bed was a joke. Every time I hauled anything I complained about it. You wouldn't think a foot would make that big of a difference but it does. Heck with the 6.4' bed you can drop the tailgate and haul 8' sheets/board without overhanging. In fact you can put a bed extender on it to "enclose" the load and an 8' long item will still fit.
I loved my '14, it had everything but I couldn't get past the bed. It's the reason I sold it.
Although it is worth noting that I use my bed a lot so I guess if a person rarely does the CC with 5.7' makes sense. Just not the truck for me.

JC4041

Reaction score
For the first few years of the 4th gens 1500's weren't available with CC and a 6'4" bed, only 2500/3500's were. I think around 2015 they started offering the 1500 with a CC 6'4" bed.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Long story short, I think the vast majority of 1500s mostly get used as a family hauler and don't really do any real work anymore.

I love my 6'4" bed, but there are times the long wheel base is cumbersome. I actually wish they would've shrunk the rear legroom some, my kids have more space in the back than they know what to do with!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have my current rebel as a family car that hauls they junk when needed and im gonna get a hd 2500 for tow and work

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Long story short, I think the vast majority of 1500s mostly get used as a family hauler and don't really do any real work anymore.

I love my 6'4" bed, but there are times the long wheel base is cumbersome. I actually wish they would've shrunk the rear legroom some, my kids have more space in the back than they know what to do with!
should have got the quad cab, no leg room for an adult.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to go that route but believe it or not the thing technically wouldn't fit in my driveway. On top of that, a truck that long in a parking deck..... Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread