5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you rather have? Advanced Safety Group or Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox

Advanced Safety Group or Multifuction Tailgate and Rambox?

• Advanced Safety Group

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Multifunction Tailgate AND Rambox

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

solospeed101

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here. Been lurking for a while reading up on Ram info. Finally decided to sign up because I have a dying question I want to ask current and past owners.

I'm looking to get a Ram Rebel and I'm debating on getting one with Advanced Safety Group or one with the Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox.

Which would you choose?

afphinfan

Reaction score
I’ve had Ramboxes on two different trucks and I really depend on them as they suit my needs perfectly. I’ve never seen the MFT so I can’t say much about it but sure it’s pretty handy as well. I had the features of the advanced safety group in a different truck and I am a fan of the technology and see value in the future of all vehicles having some form of it: I could certainly live without it (I don’t miss it now).

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Ram boxes all the way! I do not have a MFT so can’t comment, but this is my second ram with Ram boxes. i use them all the time, even the wife loves them

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since both the RamBox and MFT have a pretty significant hit to payload, your planned use for the truck may impact your decision. I have no idea what ASG's payload hit is, but I imagine not much.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Personly I wouldn't add any of them. I don't like the look of the Ramboxes, and it adds a bunch of weight. MFT tailgate really limits your become options, and again adds weight. I have been browsing for covers for the truck i have on order. I can't stand the lane assist or ACC in my wife's Atlas. I would just turn that stuff off if my truck had it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
I like the multi function tail gate and it will be on my next truck (if they add it to the HD lineup). As far as Ramboxes, that's going to depend on what you need out of your truck. I like them but could never live with the reduced bed space, I use my truck to haul stuff and need all the space I can get.

Nels

Reaction score
For me...ramboxes wouldnt make sense. As said above, unless you have a specific use for them that outweighs the reduction in bed capacity and payload. I also dont like the looks of them. Haven't seen MFT but I've lived without it on my truck for 30 years so I'm good without it. Lane assist and ACC I'm ok without also. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

BNeal

Reaction score
Well, I have all 3 and I would hate to be without any of them. The Ram Boxes are very useful. It's where I have my toolbox, tow strap, gloves, trailer hitch, jumper cables, cargo straps, etc. With the MFT, I almost never drop the tailgate unless I'm hauling something that requires the extra bed length. I think the advanced safety group should be standard on all vehicles.

So, not sure I was any help, but from someone who has all three, I like all three.

McBroom

Reaction score
Advanced safety group and regular Rambox bed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my Limited without any of it after looking into each of those options. The Rambox really limits your bed size and is heavy. Everything I need storage for fits under the rear seat. The MFT is nice but heavy and requires a lot of extra bracing and parts in both the front and rear of the bed. Weight matters for payload.

Almost ordered Adv Safety Group for the ACC, don't care about any of the other features. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth the price since the only time I would really use it is if stuck behind slow traffic on a 2 lane County road, and I am not in that situation often.

I think the Bed Utility Group is a must have (mostly for the bed step), but those things can be added aftermarket.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I have all 3 and I would hate to be without any of them. The Ram Boxes are very useful. It's where I have my toolbox, tow strap, gloves, trailer hitch, jumper cables, cargo straps, etc. With the MFT, I almost never drop the tailgate unless I'm hauling something that requires the extra bed length. I think the advanced safety group should be standard on all vehicles.

So, not sure I was any help, but from someone who has all three, I like all three.
Although this is my first truck, exact reasons why I went with the ramboxes and the MFT. The MFT will also help my "vertically challenged" (aka short) girlfriend get stuff in and out of the bed easier. Also, the bed with the ramboxes is still 50" wide, so plenty for what I need. You can't deny the hit to payload if that's what you need. My payload will mostly be Lowe's trips and maybe a small trailer or boat occasionally.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered my Limited without any of it after looking into each of those options. The Rambox really limits your bed size and is heavy. Everything I need storage for fits under the rear seat. The MFT is nice but heavy and requires a lot of extra bracing and parts in both the front and rear of the bed. Weight matters for payload.

Almost ordered Adv Safety Group for the ACC, don't care about any of the other features. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth the price since the only time I would really use it is if stuck behind slow traffic on a 2 lane County road, and I am not in that situation often.

I think the Bed Utility Group is a must have (mostly for the bed step), but those things can be added aftermarket.
First I want to clear up a little misinformation here.

The Rambox really limits your bed size and is heavy. Everything I need storage for fits under the rear seat.
The Rambox does not "really limit your bed size" as much as people think, and it relocates some of the less usable (for me) space in front of and behind the wheel wells to the area inside the bed sides. I actually like the flat walls for the things I usually carry like boxes. And unless you're loading light material, fully loading the bed with something that will utilize the awkward spaces in front of and behind the wheel wells (firewood, gravel, dirt, etc.) you will exceed the payload limit anyway.

The Rambox option is more than just storage in the bed sides. It also comes with a bed divider (if you also get the BUG). The bed divider is at least as useful as the storage boxes, if not more useful. There are multiple mounting points to custom fit whatever you're carrying. And it also doubles as a bed extender if you add the mounting pegs (about $50).

My opinion is that the majority of people who say they don't want Ramboxes because they will lose bed space are those who have never had them or used them. I would know, I used to be one of those people.

The MFT is nice but heavy and requires a lot of extra bracing and parts in both the front and rear of the bed. Weight matters for payload.
The MFT is more than nice. It's a game changer for me. I'm getting up there in age, and my back isn't what it used to be. And I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone how much of a pain it is to drag cargo over the tailgate when loading or unloading it. With the MFT there is no stretching over the tailgate, and my back doesn't complain as much when I load or unload whatever I need to carry. Finally, the MFT does NOT require any extra bracing with the Rambox, which is what we're talking about in this thread.

You're right about the Rambox and MFT affecting payload. It's definitely a consideration, so if you are looking for max payload I'd probably avoid them both.

In addition to the Rambox and MFT I also have the Advanced Safety Group. I like the ACC but don't use any of the rest of it. I don't use my truck to tow anything, and rarely carry much more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed. So for my use, If I had to make a choice it would definitely be the Rambox and MFT.

Nels

Reaction score
I drove my wife's Kia Telluride with adaptive cruise control a while back on a 4 lane highway. I found it more an annoyance than helpful. Couple of times if i wasnt paying attention the car had slowed to match the speed of the car in front of me so now I'm down to 10 under the speed limit. With "old fashioned" cc i see that im closing on the car ahead and change lanes to pass. Just adding some perspective for those that may not have had an opportunity to experience acc yet.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drove my wife's Kia Telluride with adaptive cruise control a while back on a 4 lane highway. I found it more an annoyance than helpful. Couple of times if i wasnt paying attention the car had slowed to match the speed of the car in front of me so now I'm down to 10 under the speed limit. With "old fashioned" cc i see that im closing on the car ahead and change lanes to pass. Just adding some perspective for those that may not have had an opportunity to experience acc yet.
Haha I've done the same thing a couple of times. If anything, ACC has made me a more patient driver. I know it has made my wife more willing to ride with me :ROFLMAO:

If I'm in a hurry and don't want that to happen I just use the "normal" cruise control.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
ASG and MFT, no ram boxes for me. Unless you have a specific use for ram boxes, they limit my bed space too much on a 5'7" bed. Advanced safety group gets you adaptive cruise, and if you do a lot of highway cruising in congested areas it is a must have. Multi-function tailgate is awesome, wish it wasn't greyed out when I ordered my 10 year truck as it would have nee here. it lowers the step-up height to the bed when used in bard door style. It decreases having to reach over a tailgate to retrieve stuff in the bed and increases accessibility when you have a trailer attached where you couldn't drop a standard tailgate without damage, you can partially open the 60 side an then open the 40 side fully for bed access.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First I want to clear up a little misinformation here.

The Rambox does not "really limit your bed size" as much as people think, and it relocates some of the less usable (for me) space in front of and behind the wheel wells to the area inside the bed sides. I actually like the flat walls for the things I usually carry like boxes. And unless you're loading light material, fully loading the bed with something that will utilize the awkward spaces in front of and behind the wheel wells (firewood, gravel, dirt, etc.) you will exceed the payload limit anyway.

The Rambox option is more than just storage in the bed sides. It also comes with a bed divider (if you also get the BUG). The bed divider is at least as useful as the storage boxes, if not more useful. There are multiple mounting points to custom fit whatever you're carrying. And it also doubles as a bed extender if you add the mounting pegs (about $50).

My opinion is that the majority of people who say they don't want Ramboxes because they will lose bed space are those who have never had them or used them. I would know, I used to be one of those people.

The MFT is more than nice. It's a game changer for me. I'm getting up there in age, and my back isn't what it used to be. And I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone how much of a pain it is to drag cargo over the tailgate when loading or unloading it. With the MFT there is no stretching over the tailgate, and my back doesn't complain as much when I load or unload whatever I need to carry. Finally, the MFT does NOT require any extra bracing with the Rambox, which is what we're talking about in this thread.

You're right about the Rambox and MFT affecting payload. It's definitely a consideration, so if you are looking for max payload I'd probably avoid them both.

In addition to the Rambox and MFT I also have the Advanced Safety Group. I like the ACC but don't use any of the rest of it. I don't use my truck to tow anything, and rarely carry much more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed. So for my use, If I had to make a choice it would definitely be the Rambox and MFT.

I agree, the only reason I didn't look for a truck with Ramboxes was do to the lid closure issues some were having, otherwise it's completely useful. The MFT I'd love to have but there was virtually no availability when I was looking for a truck last year. ASG is a no brainer

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Haha I've done the same thing a couple of times. If anything, ACC has made me a more patient driver. I know it has made my wife more willing to ride with me :ROFLMAO:

If I'm in a hurry and don't want that to happen I just use the "normal" cruise control.
You're using it wrong. 🙃 On rural 2 lane highways I'll set the ACC to 20kph over the posted limit and 2 car lengths. That way, when I come up behind a sloth and go to pass I don't even have to touch the gas pedal.

As for which I'd want. My next 1500 will have all three

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should have a 3rd option for neither. I would choose neither of them. To me all this advanced safety stuff is just funny. They make hands free phone use a law, which I totally agree with but then they keep putting bigger and bigger screens in these vehicles and more and more tech so it’s even more distracting than it was. Then they put in all these blind spot sensors, and auto braking, and andvanced cruise control so people are allowed to pay attention even less than before. It’s a runaway train if you ask me.

As far the multi-function tailgate and ram boxes, I think they are both great ideas. I just have no need for either of them yet. Check back with me in 10 years I’ll probably be all over that tailgate

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're using it wrong. 🙃 On rural 2 lane highways I'll set the ACC to 20kph over the posted limit and 2 car lengths. That way, when I come up behind a sloth and go to pass I don't even have to touch the gas pedal.

As for which I'd want. My next 1500 will have all three
Haha I've done that too.

Reaction score
I custom ordered my Rebel and received in back at the end of May. I went with the ASG and Ramboxes, but no MFT.

No regrets on the ASG, the lane keep assist helped me learn the left and right limits of the truck. Coming from a 05 Ford Ranger, it has been a bit of an adjustment. I turned down the lane keep sensitivity and I really like it. It also helps with insurance rate, I was told this option alone saved me $65 a month on my insurance, so it is paying for itself. Not to mention, you can turn off all of these features if ya don't like them.

Since I use my truck to haul my bay boat, go off roading to get to hunting, fishing, and camping sites, and haul my gear around. The slight loss in bed width is not noticed. I really like my ramboxes. I keep my car washing and recovery kit in one box, and my fishing kit and waders in the other box. Super convenient and I haven't had any issues with them so far.

As for the MFT, I personally don't get the appeal, I see it as a gimmick and don't really see how they add value to a truck. I just got the normal tailgate and hung one of the Mountain Hatch Tailgate panels.

One thing I do strongly recommend the technology package, the HUD is cool but I can understand how some people would find it distracting, but the digital rear-view mirror is AWESOME. That is 100% something I will be getting on future vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread