5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you rather have? Advanced Safety Group or Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox

Advanced Safety Group or Multifuction Tailgate and Rambox?

• Advanced Safety Group

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Multifunction Tailgate AND Rambox

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the tech group and the MFT, otherwise I don't use much of the other stuff my truck has on it. Would try rambox but we use every inch of width in the bed for our softball setup so they wouldn't work for our purposes.

Benefits of the MFT for our purposes:

loading/unloading is way easier
getting into and out of the truck is a TON easier

I've only had the truck for a month and we are so busy with travel softball stuff that I haven't used the truck for true truck purposes yet, but just those two things alone are great and make me wish I had this years earlier. And I wanted it for years before finally getting it.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here. Been lurking for a while reading up on Ram info. Finally decided to sign up because I have a dying question I want to ask current and past owners.

I'm looking to get a Ram Rebel and I'm debating on getting one with Advanced Safety Group or one with the Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox.

Which would you choose?
I would suggest the advanced safety group with the ram boxes, not really a need for a multi function tailgate in my mind, what are they going to do when it starts to squeak and fail. stick with the regular tailgate, just put a shock assist on it.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
, what are they going to do when it starts to squeak and fail. stick with the regular tailgate, just put a shock assist on it.

Lol, trade it in like every other ram I've had that starts to have issues at 50-60k miles. I love these trucks but I'm on my 4th (in 7 years) and they've all had a pattern for me, and I dump them when they start needing extra money put into them. I'm sure my current ram will have other issues prior to the MFT anyway.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would suggest the advanced safety group with the ram boxes, not really a need for a multi function tailgate in my mind, what are they going to do when it starts to squeak and fail. stick with the regular tailgate, just put a shock assist on it.
Every single older truck I've owned has had a squeaky and/or rattling tailgate. Never really bothered me then, and it won't bother me if it eventually happens with the MFT. Biggest thing with any tailgate is lubrication though.

As far as need goes, of course it's not needed. Neither is the Rambox or ASG. In fact, you don't need cruise control, power windows, air conditioning, stereo, power sliding rear window...you see where I'm going with this. The MFT wasn't a big deal for me until I had a chance to use one. Since then I couldn't wait to get a new truck with it. And as an FYI, all 5th gen 1500's come with a tailgate damper so there's no need to add an aftermarket one.

WchChip

Reaction score
I have a Rebel with the multifunction tailgate and RamBoxes. The only thing I wanted in the ASG was the 360 degree camera. RamBoxes were a must. I agree with others it depends on how you use your truck.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should have a 3rd option for neither. I would choose neither of them. To me all this advanced safety stuff is just funny. They make hands free phone use a law, which I totally agree with but then they keep putting bigger and bigger screens in these vehicles and more and more tech so it’s even more distracting than it was. Then they put in all these blind spot sensors, and auto braking, and andvanced cruise control so people are allowed to pay attention even less than before. It’s a runaway train if you ask me.

As far the multi-function tailgate and ram boxes, I think they are both great ideas. I just have no need for either of them yet. Check back with me in 10 years I’ll probably be all over that tailgate

The majority of ASG is brought on by bad irresponsible drivers that F up then sue the manufacturer because...... it wasn't their fault. All this started with that B that ran over her kid (killed him) in the toyota suv then sued claiming they should have had a reverse camera because she was too busy to turn her neck so I'm not surprised by the encroachment of more safety tech.

People aren't responsible enough to drive cars

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As someone who goes on fairly frequent road trips the lane keep and acc in my wife's Honda are pretty great when it comes to reducing driving fatigue. My truck doesn't have either but after a 1500 mile (round trip) vacation with the truck I kinda wish it did for that reason only...I generally don't use it for regular around the town stuff.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Lol, trade it in like every other ram I've had that starts to have issues at 50-60k miles. I love these trucks but I'm on my 4th (in 7 years) and they've all had a pattern for me, and I dump them when they start needing extra money put into them. I'm sure my current ram will have other issues prior to the MFT anywaMy Last Ram truck was a 1998 Do

Every single older truck I've owned has had a squeaky and/or rattling tailgate. Never really bothered me then, and it won't bother me if it eventually happens with the MFT. Biggest thing with any tailgate is lubrication though.

As far as need goes, of course it's not needed. Neither is the Rambox or ASG. In fact, you don't need cruise control, power windows, air conditioning, stereo, power sliding rear window...you see where I'm going with this. The MFT wasn't a big deal for me until I had a chance to use one. Since then I couldn't wait to get a new truck with it. And as an FYI, all 5th gen 1500's come with a tailgate damper so there's no need to add an aftermarket one.

My Last Ram I drove was a 1998 Dodge Ram Sport Regular Cab, 6 ft. Bed. I drove that truck practically into the ground, I welded that truck back together several times over, i installed fender flares on it to hide the rust in the wheel wells, i replace practically every component on it except the transmission and motor, and it ran strong and fast. When i finally traded it in, it had 365,645 miles on her. I miss that truck, she was surely good to me. My Ram Mastercard has the trucks picture on it.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
The majority of ASG is brought on by bad irresponsible drivers that F up then sue the manufacturer because...... it wasn't their fault. All this started with that B that ran over her kid (killed him) in the toyota suv then sued claiming they should have had a reverse camera because she was too busy to turn her neck so I'm not surprised by the encroachment of more safety tech.

People aren't responsible enough to drive cars

Perhaps this person should have set up their phone to not receive calls while driving

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Last Ram I drove was a 1998 Dodge Ram Sport Regular Cab, 6 ft. Bed. I drove that truck practically into the ground, I welded that truck back together several times over, i installed fender flares on it to hide the rust in the wheel wells, i replace practically every component on it except the transmission and motor, and it ran strong and fast. When i finally traded it in, it had 365,645 miles on her. I miss that truck, she was surely good to me. My Ram Mastercard has the trucks picture on it.

Nice! I have a lifetime keeper vehicle (66 buick lesabre that I've had for 18 years and plan on another 50 or so more hopefully) but my trucks are like kleenex. I'd like to keep them longer but I'm unwilling to put money/time into them beyond required maintenance. I'll fix my old car until the day I die though.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I'd pick the safety group. I run a shell so the boxes would be useless. Plus, every truck I have seen with them have a horrible fit. That would drive me nuts. The tailgate is gimmicky, IMO.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd pick the safety group. I run a shell so the boxes would be useless. Plus, every truck I have seen with them have a horrible fit. That would drive me nuts. The tailgate is gimmicky, IMO.
Great point about running a shell. Ramboxes are definitely not conducive with those. Rambox lid fitment is definitely an issue, but now that I know how to adjust them it's no longer a concern for me. I can respect your opinion about the MFT if you've actually used one. Not just open and close one on the dealership lot, but actually use it when loading and unloading cargo.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can respect your opinion about the MFT if you've actually used one. Not just open and close one on the dealership lot, but actually use it when loading and unloading cargo.

And getting in and out of the bed, I've had mine a month and have been in and out of there probably over a hundred times already. Easiest thing with the tailgate opened gate style, hop right up in or out in a second.

As for the price of them, mine came as part of the 10th anniversary longhorn package which included the nice interior and falken wildpeaks (tires I would have bought for it anyways) and the MFT. For $1220 it seemed like a no brainer, even if I had to pay for it as a standalone option I would have.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Nah, the MFT is legit. That's the most useful tailgate of any truck out currently

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, if its a budget decision, maybe if you shop some of the dealers many of the forum members have had good experiences with, your deal will be so good you don't have to decide between your two options and you can get it all. Not the best time to be hunting deals, but you never know.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I suppose I'd have to play with the mft to really see it's usefulness or not. Not sure how it would play well with a shell but maybe.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I custom ordered my Rebel and received in back at the end of May. I went with the ASG and Ramboxes, but no MFT.

...It also helps with insurance rate, I was told this option alone saved me $65 a month on my insurance, so it is paying for itself....

Lane Keep Assist cut $780/year off your insurance premium? Who is your carrier?

Users who are viewing this thread