5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you rather have? Advanced Safety Group or Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox

Advanced Safety Group or Multifuction Tailgate and Rambox?

• Advanced Safety Group

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Multifunction Tailgate AND Rambox

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go here then click look up my vehicle, input your trucks vin and itll give you the exact capacity. There's a yellow sticker with the info in the door sill as well

View attachment 99485

ETA, nevermind, I see you don't have the truck yet
i did look that over, i dont have a vin number to see how much the ramboxes and multi funt tailgate takk off the towing and
Go here then click look up my vehicle, input your trucks vin and itll give you the exact capacity. There's a yellow sticker with the info in the door sill as well

View attachment 99485
so if I am looking this up then I am losing about 500lbs on the pay load and really nothing on towing? I can live with that. I would hauling much.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is one here with those options:

Here is the window sticker:

The Vin is: 1C6SRFKT0MN610795

Plugging it into the payload lookup here:

I get the below. That's less than my limited and I have E torque, Air ride, MFT but no Ram boxes. I do have the Panoramic Sunroof though but my payload according to the lookup is 1256.11. Perhaps the Ramboxes remove a few hundred lbs of payload? The one below is a Longhorn so maybe there are things in that package that add weight to the vehicle reducing the payload.

View attachment 99483
thanks

mtnrider

Reaction score
i did look that over, i dont have a vin number to see how much the ramboxes and multi funt tailgate takk off the towing and

so if I am looking this up then I am losing about 500lbs on the pay load and really nothing on towing? I can live with that. I would hauling much.

The towing number is rarely the problem (and higher then most trucks can actually tow when you add all the numbers together) it's the payload that is going to get you. A decent size trailer's tongue weight + passengers and gear and you will be over your payload even though technically you can "pull" the weight (on paper).

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I have all three and if those are your options, I would pick the ASG over the RamBoxes and MFT. I live in Los Angeles and find the surround view camera a must for when you need to park as close to the curb as possible without scraping your rims or for making sure you're in between the lines in parking spots. The 1500 is pretty big compared to the spots here. I can be less than 6 inches from the curb and I'm barely inside the parking lines. As for the MFT, I'm short, so it makes getting things out of the bed easier, which may not be a problem for you. RamBoxes are great for groceries and putting small stuff in so they don't shift around in the bed, but you can put a couple of crates in the bed and have the same function. You also have to slam the MFT and RamBoxes to make sure they're closed. I've had instances where I didn't close the RamBox hard enough and it popped open while driving back home. There's no dash indicator that tells you the RamBoxes are open. There is one for the MFT though. For me, the ASG is a must, the MFT is a nice convenience, and the RamBox is nice, but not something I really need.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps the Ramboxes remove a few hundred lbs of payload? The one below is a Longhorn so maybe there are things in that package that add weight to the vehicle reducing the payload.

Yes, Ram Boxes are a big hit to payload.

Longhorn is essentially a Limited without the standard air ride, 12” screen and few others

AevJk1day

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the weight capacity is in the RamBoxes?
I can’t seem to find that online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have all three and if those are your options, I would pick the ASG over the RamBoxes and MFT. I live in Los Angeles and find the surround view camera a must for when you need to park as close to the curb as possible without scraping your rims or for making sure you're in between the lines in parking spots. The 1500 is pretty big compared to the spots here. I can be less than 6 inches from the curb and I'm barely inside the parking lines. As for the MFT, I'm short, so it makes getting things out of the bed easier, which may not be a problem for you. RamBoxes are great for groceries and putting small stuff in so they don't shift around in the bed, but you can put a couple of crates in the bed and have the same function. You also have to slam the MFT and RamBoxes to make sure they're closed. I've had instances where I didn't close the RamBox hard enough and it popped open while driving back home. There's no dash indicator that tells you the RamBoxes are open. There is one for the MFT though. For me, the ASG is a must, the MFT is a nice convenience, and the RamBox is nice, but not something I really need.
Needing to slam the tailgate or rambox lids would bug the bejesus out of me. Have you taken your truck in to a dealership to see if they can adjust them? You shouldn't have to slam them when closing them. The wife and I each own trucks with the MFT and rambox options and we don't have to slam anything on our trucks.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Needing to slam the tailgate or rambox lids would bug the bejesus out of me. Have you taken your truck in to a dealership to see if they can adjust them? You shouldn't have to slam them when closing them. The wife and I each own trucks with the MFT and rambox options and we don't have to slam anything on our trucks.
I had a similar issue with my fuel door, took the strength of Hercules to actually get it to close. I was afraid I'd end up denting the door and brought it in, replaced the latch assembly and it was good to go.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that that's just how they were, but I guess not. I'll check with the local dealer and see what they can do. Thanks.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
First I want to clear up a little misinformation here.

The Rambox does not "really limit your bed size" as much as people think, and it relocates some of the less usable (for me) space in front of and behind the wheel wells to the area inside the bed sides. I actually like the flat walls for the things I usually carry like boxes. And unless you're loading light material, fully loading the bed with something that will utilize the awkward spaces in front of and behind the wheel wells (firewood, gravel, dirt, etc.) you will exceed the payload limit anyway.

The Rambox option is more than just storage in the bed sides. It also comes with a bed divider (if you also get the BUG). The bed divider is at least as useful as the storage boxes, if not more useful. There are multiple mounting points to custom fit whatever you're carrying. And it also doubles as a bed extender if you add the mounting pegs (about $50).

My opinion is that the majority of people who say they don't want Ramboxes because they will lose bed space are those who have never had them or used them. I would know, I used to be one of those people.

The MFT is more than nice. It's a game changer for me. I'm getting up there in age, and my back isn't what it used to be. And I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone how much of a pain it is to drag cargo over the tailgate when loading or unloading it. With the MFT there is no stretching over the tailgate, and my back doesn't complain as much when I load or unload whatever I need to carry. Finally, the MFT does NOT require any extra bracing with the Rambox, which is what we're talking about in this thread.

You're right about the Rambox and MFT affecting payload. It's definitely a consideration, so if you are looking for max payload I'd probably avoid them both.

In addition to the Rambox and MFT I also have the Advanced Safety Group. I like the ACC but don't use any of the rest of it. I don't use my truck to tow anything, and rarely carry much more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed. So for my use, If I had to make a choice it would definitely be the Rambox and MFT.
well said and completely agree with you

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the weight capacity is in the RamBoxes?
I can’t seem to find that online.

150lbs per bin.

Page 85 of the owners manual:
"The cargo storage bins provide watertight, lockable, illuminated for up to 150 lb (68 kg) of evenly distributed cargo."

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
well said and completely agree with you
Agreed, had I seen this thread and description prior to ordering I might have gone with Ram Box. The only thing I despise is the cosmetics of them, Just don’t think they look good although that is obviously personal preference

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So...when you tally it up it looks something like this:

MFT - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.
RAMBOX - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.
ASG - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.

So...the only conclusion you can draw is that the correct answer is 100% dependent on how YOU use your vehicle. Assess what is most important to you and how you will really use your truck. In case you still want my opinion...I value the ASG over the others, though being 55 and not as limber as I used to be, I can totally see the usefulness of the MFT. I also LOVE the RamBoxes, but I don't have them because when I truly assessed how I use my truck I figured I can easily haul what I need under the rear seat and the in-floor storage boxes. Having had to make a decision based on budget, the ASG won out.

Good luck with your decision and your new truck!

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed, had I seen this thread and description prior to ordering I might have gone with Ram Box. The only thing I despise is the cosmetics of them, Just don’t think they look good although that is obviously personal preference
I agree with you somewhat on the cosmetics of the lids. But after buying the special Mopar tool to adjust the strikers, and experimentation with the lids, I think mine look great now. There is still a small amount of misalignment at the very top of them, but I can live with it.

Essbaum

Reaction score
MFT - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.
RAMBOX - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.
ASG - Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others.
This is the correct answer...

AevJk1day

Reaction score
150lbs per bin.

Page 85 of the owners manual:
"The cargo storage bins provide watertight, lockable, illuminated for up to 150 lb (68 kg) of evenly distributed cargo."

Thank you! I get my truck tomorrow, finally!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it totally depends on your use. I ordered all three.

1) ASG is convenient on long road trips and useful with distracting little kids.
2) MFT will be great for me. I'm 41 with the back of a 65 year old. And I can see my 5 year old opening it and using the bed step
3) Ramboxes mean I can squeeze my 4 wheeler in the bed, camping and hunting gear in the boxes and still fit 4 adults.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
I think it totally depends on your use. I ordered all three.

1) ASG is convenient on long road trips and useful with distracting little kids.
2) MFT will be great for me. I'm 41 with the back of a 65 year old. And I can see my 5 year old opening it and using the bed step
3) Ramboxes mean I can squeeze my 4 wheeler in the bed, camping and hunting gear in the boxes and still fit 4 adults.

I love the RamBoxes the most and so far use them the least, actually. They are the only reason I looked at Ram initially. I Use the MFT every time I use the bed and the ACC while on hwy.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
And as an FYI, all 5th gen 1500's come with a tailgate damper so there's no need to add an aftermarket one.
Well poop. Wish I had known this before I bought an OEM damper. Went out to see how tailgate dropped before installing it and ... sure enough, tailgate drops down smooth, slow and easy. Now the hassle of returning the part, restocking fee, mailing cost, grrrr.

My fault (of course) for not checking tailgate operation before ordering the part.

Dave

SkeeterRAM

Reaction score
So...when you tally it up it looks something like this:

So...the only conclusion you can draw is that the correct answer is 100% dependent on how YOU use your vehicle. Assess what is most important to you and how you will really use your truck. In case you still want my opinion...I value the ASG over the others, though being 55 and not as limber as I used to be, I can totally see the usefulness of the MFT. I also LOVE the RamBoxes, but I don't have them because when I truly assessed how I use my truck I figured I can easily haul what I need under the rear seat and the in-floor storage boxes. Having had to make a decision based on budget, the ASG won out.

Good luck with your decision and your new truck!
You must know me, cause you described me to a T.
"Completely stupid and/or unnecessary to some, as well as being indispensable to others."
100% agree on your view, of the subject: MFT, RAMBOX & ASG.

Users who are viewing this thread