5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you rather have? Advanced Safety Group or Multifunction Tailgate and Rambox

Advanced Safety Group or Multifuction Tailgate and Rambox?

• Advanced Safety Group

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Multifunction Tailgate AND Rambox

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

Essbaum

Reaction score
I would not live without any of them now that I have them. If you get the rambox, definitly get the utility group. its worth it alone for the center step. And reaching into the box without reaching over the tailgate is what sold me on the MFT. Also the safety group is awesome. worth it for the surround cameras, but you dont get those is you go with a towing mirror.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • Parallel and Perpendicular Park-Assist with Stop
  • Pedestrian Emergency Braking
  • Surround-View Camera System
I almost bought the ford powerboost until I saw all three of these features in person.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Age might play a roll in your decision. I retired 4 years ago and started my own business repairing injection molding machines and robotics.The type of tools I use wouldn't work with ram boxes.
I drive approx 40K miles a year, the safety package is a must especially when driving in big city traffic. I enjoy the ACC because I have a habit of following too close and the my front end tends to get pitted. I set the ACC at max following distance which makes be practice patience..
Last three trucks were Silverado's, really looking forward to having this Limited!
Tom

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Literally halved my rate. Currently I'm only paying $82 a month for max coverage thru USAA.
Must be a regional thing. While I don't have it on my truck my wife's car is equipped with it. USAA does no such discount for us in TX. In fact, they are always among the most expensive when it comes time to renew. Almost double what I pay Liberty Mutual for both auto and home.

Reaction score
Must be a regional thing. While I don't have it on my truck my wife's car is equipped with it. USAA does no such discount for us in TX. In fact, they are always among the most expensive when it comes time to renew. Almost double what I pay Liberty Mutual for both auto and home.
Yeah maybe it's a NY thing, idk honestly. It definitely is one of those "I won't look this gift horse in the mouth" kinda things.

I check with Geico, Progressive, State Farm and USAA. USAA was the cheapest by about $12 per month compared to the next cheapest.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah maybe it's a NY thing, idk honestly. It definitely is one of those "I won't look this gift horse in the mouth" kinda things.

I check with Geico, Progressive, State Farm and USAA. USAA was the cheapest by about $12 per month compared to the next cheapest.
Something about their algorithm just doesn't like me. I keep hearing about the great rates from my friends and such, but they are never in the same neighborhood compared to what I see from Geico/Progressive/Liberty Mutual. Their agents always sound surprised when I tell them what I pay elsewhere. I do bank with them, and probably always will...but yea, insurance is a hard no.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First I want to clear up a little misinformation here.

The Rambox does not "really limit your bed size" as much as people think, and it relocates some of the less usable (for me) space in front of and behind the wheel wells to the area inside the bed sides. I actually like the flat walls for the things I usually carry like boxes. And unless you're loading light material, fully loading the bed with something that will utilize the awkward spaces in front of and behind the wheel wells (firewood, gravel, dirt, etc.) you will exceed the payload limit anyway.

The Rambox option is more than just storage in the bed sides. It also comes with a bed divider (if you also get the BUG). The bed divider is at least as useful as the storage boxes, if not more useful. There are multiple mounting points to custom fit whatever you're carrying. And it also doubles as a bed extender if you add the mounting pegs (about $50).

My opinion is that the majority of people who say they don't want Ramboxes because they will lose bed space are those who have never had them or used them. I would know, I used to be one of those people.

The MFT is more than nice. It's a game changer for me. I'm getting up there in age, and my back isn't what it used to be. And I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone how much of a pain it is to drag cargo over the tailgate when loading or unloading it. With the MFT there is no stretching over the tailgate, and my back doesn't complain as much when I load or unload whatever I need to carry. Finally, the MFT does NOT require any extra bracing with the Rambox, which is what we're talking about in this thread.

You're right about the Rambox and MFT affecting payload. It's definitely a consideration, so if you are looking for max payload I'd probably avoid them both.

In addition to the Rambox and MFT I also have the Advanced Safety Group. I like the ACC but don't use any of the rest of it. I don't use my truck to tow anything, and rarely carry much more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed. So for my use, If I had to make a choice it would definitely be the Rambox and MFT.
I couldn't get the Ram boxes because I use a truck cap to secure jobsite tools and materials. If the doors opened from the side I might use them.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I just got a limited with MFT and ASG. I was somehow able to order w/o BUG, although I regret it. Both are great features, i originally did not get MFT and am damn glad I got it.

I had a car with ACC, then one w/o. I’ll never own one w/o it again. Cameras are a must have on a truck this size. I don’t recall what else ASG includes, but those two things were what I was after, in particular ACC.

I don’t like the looks of ramboxes, but after seeing the way the bed divider works (as per someone else’s post) and all the various junk under the seats I wish I had gotten it. Certainly would come after the MFT and ASG.

Hope I added to your confusion!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since I know how to drive I would choose MFT and boxes. I don't haul much so the little bit of bed space lost is not a problem. Yhe MFT would make it easier to get smaller items out of my bed without reaching over the tailgate.

I have to say, the electric locking tailgate is an annoyance. I get out and lock my doors then I can't reach the amazon package I tossed over the tailgate without digging up my fob or deploying the step because the darn gate is locked. (I have am 6 feet tall but have a lift). I guess it is better than having the tailgate stolen but perhaps make it harder to remove rather than locking. I don't live in the hood. Guess the MFT would not fix that but I wanted to rant anyway. :p

bucolic

Reaction score
Since I know how to drive I would choose MFT and boxes. I don't haul much so the little bit of bed space lost is not a problem. Yhe MFT would make it easier to get smaller items out of my bed without reaching over the tailgate.

I have to say, the electric locking tailgate is an annoyance. I get out and lock my doors then I can't reach the amazon package I tossed over the tailgate without digging up my fob or deploying the step because the darn gate is locked. (I have am 6 feet tall but have a lift). I guess it is better than having the tailgate stolen but perhaps make it harder to remove rather than locking. I don't live in the hood. Guess the MFT would not fix that but I wanted to rant anyway. :p

I have the MFT and it unlocks just by operating the handle normally as long as the FOB is in my pocket.

To answer the OP's questions. I love the ACC and would really really miss it. The MFT is much more useful than I ever thought it would be. I really like it and utilize both methods of opening depending on what I am loading. I don't have a need for the Ram boxes but if you carry tools and such they look really handy. I do love that ACC though!

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the payload for the trucks with the rambox and multi function tailgate, with air ride and etorque hemi?
Thanks

bucolic

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the payload for the trucks with the rambox and multi function tailgate, with air ride and etorque hemi?
Thanks
Here is one here with those options:

Here is the window sticker:

The Vin is: 1C6SRFKT0MN610795

Plugging it into the payload lookup here:

I get the below. That's less than my limited and I have E torque, Air ride, MFT but no Ram boxes. I do have the Panoramic Sunroof though but my payload according to the lookup is 1256.11. Perhaps the Ramboxes remove a few hundred lbs of payload? The one below is a Longhorn so maybe there are things in that package that add weight to the vehicle reducing the payload.

1626013126919.png

BowDown

Reaction score
Thanks
Go here then click look up my vehicle, input your trucks vin and itll give you the exact capacity. There's a yellow sticker with the info in the door sill as well

Capture.JPG

ETA, nevermind, I see you don't have the truck yet

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have the MFT and it unlocks just by operating the handle normally as long as the FOB is in my pocket.

To answer the OP's questions. I love the ACC and would really really miss it. The MFT is much more useful than I ever thought it would be. I really like it and utilize both methods of opening depending on what I am loading. I don't have a need for the Ram boxes but if you carry tools and such they look really handy. I do love that ACC though!
Yea, unfortunately the lowly Bighorn does not come with passive entry. I thought that was a gimmick until had it on my Rubicon. It is very handy. Too much luxury for a Jeep though, they are meant to be Spartan 4 wheeling machines in my view. Save the electronic luxuries for cars and trucks.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, unfortunately the lowly Bighorn does not come with passive entry. I thought that was a gimmick until had it on my Rubicon. It is very handy. Too much luxury for a Jeep though, they are meant to be Spartan 4 wheeling machines in my view. Save the electronic luxuries for cars and trucks.
Fortunately it's fairly easy to add.

slatersan

Reaction score
HAving all 3, i'd struggle to choose just the ASG or MFT and Rambox. MFT is the first 'can do without it" option. If I had to choose, and I don't...i'd probably pick the ASG over rambox, but id be furious.

bucolic

Reaction score
Ahhh I see. I had a 2016 Bighorn and never noticed it much. I guess I just hit the FOB all the time. I actually liked the cloth seats on my Big Horn better than the leather! They were not heated though and I did miss that in these Upstate NY winters.

And on the Jeeps, everything is spartan on them except the price LOL! That's first-class :)

Users who are viewing this thread