5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

19reb

There really is no reason not to have one. The only reason would be money and even then there really is no reason. You can make one fairly easily.

This is one I made recently for my 4.0 Ranger. Made it out of clear acrylic glass. Didn't take pictures or video of making it. So I can't post a tutorial or anything.

Once you understand the concept, it's simple to make.

6MawWqM.jpg

Viper67

Reaction score
Does it need the pressure? Why not just vent to the air with a filter on the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viper67

Reaction score
With my 3500, I ran the glacier diesel’s vent. Most thought it needed pressure but nope, no issues. Anyone a good mechanic/engineer? Is gas the same as diesel or do they really need that pressure?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was told that system needed to be sealed for it to function correctly. That is why all the fittings need to be air leak-free and gaskets on the can sealed correctly. If someone gave me bad info then let me know. I can't speak for a diesel engine but was told this for gas engines.

Chris

Reaction score
I was told that system needed to be sealed for it to function correctly. That is why all the fittings need to be air leak-free and gaskets on the can sealed correctly. If someone gave me bad info then let me know. I can't speak for a diesel engine but was told this for gas engines.
As far as the catch can, it needs to be air tight because it is directly connected to the air intake after the air filter and would allow destructive contaminants from the engine bay almost directly into the cylinders if it leaked.

As far as venting the PCV system into atmosphere, I think that would be similar to deleting the catalytic converter. Sure, you might make it work, but if you get caught they confiscate the truck and pursue legal action against you.

Viper67

Reaction score
The Ram 6.7 turbo diesels have a hose running from the hot side into the Intake right before the turbo. To help re-burn all those fumes. It helps with emissions. A lot of us ran the glacier diesel vent where that hose from the hot side is replaced with a 45 degree hose and then a small filter at the end. Wash that filter maybe every 3-4 months and your good. The intake hole is plugged up.

About everyone’s head exploded when this started being done. But years later no issues. I don’t know gas engines so I’m looking for experts. It would be great to vent to the atmosphere as this would be cheaper and no need to empty a can every so often.

heydre

Reaction score
Now I'm wondering how much the filter will restrict airflow as it becomes soaked in oil over time....especially with all the sensors that detect anomalies in airflow to/from engine.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering how much the filter will restrict airflow as it becomes soaked in oil over time....especially with all the sensors that detect anomalies in airflow to/from engine.

Then just leave it stock? FCA has been building this engine for a while and hasn't felt a need to change the design. This is a port injected engine. Quality gas and an occasional use of a cleaning product should be just fine IMO.

19reb

There are no sensors between the PCV valve and the intake to detect any difference. The PCV system works off the vacuum of the intake. Just like the brake booster works off the vacuum of the intake. You could vent to the air if you wanted to. It would be way less efficient, as there would be nothing "pulling" the positive pressure out of the crankcase. I can see how that could lead to other more serious problems.

I suspect the engineers who developed the system knew what they were doing.

thebigalboski

Reaction score
I often switch brands between trucks and have been a member of several different brand forums. Know what they all have in common? Exact replicas of this catch can thread.

inlo

Reaction score
I installed a double oil catch can setup. Silver one off eBay ($53), black one off Amazon ($19). Pulled 6500lb trailer thru mountains in AZ, IMAG0582.jpg IMG_20190601_112334_01.jpg 700 miles produced about 1oz oil.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Why do a double???

I would like to know that. I install one on my 2019 Ram and collected 2.25 ounces after 1400 miles. Mine must filter better than his double setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inlo

Reaction score
Why do a double???
I saw a video with a guy that ran 2 catch cans to compare and determine if one was better than the other ( RX Performance Vs. Moroso). The $53 ebay had a plastic baffle in the top filled with aluminum shavings. I really didn't like the design, then saw this $19 Tasan on amazon that had a design like the Mishimoto. So for $19 I wanted to see if one would catch more that the other. My findings, after 700 miles there was about an ounce in the ebay can and nothing in the Tasan can.

ebay can...
ebay can.png

Tasan can...
51QhA4iZK+L._SL1000_.jpg

whetrick1

Reaction score
I saw a video with a guy that ran 2 catch cans to compare and determine if one was better than the other ( RX Performance Vs. Moroso). The $53 ebay had a plastic baffle in the top filled with aluminum shavings. I really didn't like the design, then saw this $19 Tasan on amazon that had a design like the Mishimoto. So for $19 I wanted to see if one would catch more that the other. My findings, after 700 miles there was about an ounce in the ebay can and nothing in the Tasan can.

ebay can...
View attachment 27041

Tasan can...
View attachment 27042

Well mine is a Mishimoto that I took off of my 2016 Ram before I traded it in. And it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread