5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

heydre

Reaction score
Based on the second video on the whiteboard...he's making the case that your catch can should have baffles/filter on it...aren't the two most popular ones on here without those?

Chris

Reaction score
Based on the second video on the whiteboard...he's making the case that your catch can should have baffles/filter on it...aren't the two most popular ones on here without those?
I haven't done a lot of research on each manufacturer, but from what little I have read I believe the Mishimoto has a complicated baffle system while the Billet has a much simpler one; both have some form of baffle, or they just wouldn't catch any oil and the companies would go out of business rather quickly.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is very basic baffled and a filter design. Which I’ve said before. Simple clue that it is working properly is to check the can to intake manifold hose. Last checked it’s still completely dry and no debris.

SColang22

Reaction score
Okay so this forum is the first ive heard of catch cans and i get the benefits. But could someone explain what happens to all that oil that gets into the crankcase? People are saying they are getting a couple ounces per oil change, it cant just collect in there are you would eventually have a quart or more in there, so does most of it get burned off or released out somewhere? dont know much about them or crankcases, trying to learn though. Also would FCA try to use them against you in a warranty claim? Thanks guys.
If you think about it a couple ounces per oil change really isn’t a whole lot. You are burning 100’s of gallons of gas and only a few ounces of oil gets put back into your intake to be burned again. Is burning oil clean? No. It’s going to leave residue whether you have a catch can or not which is why I said it’s a preference. It’s going to help sure but not having one doesn’t mean your engine is going to turn into a slug. If you don’t want to spend the money on one and time emptying it every few thousand miles don’t get one. If you don’t mind it then it won’t hurt

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

The Mishimoto has both which is what you do get what you pay for!

heydre

Reaction score
The Mishimoto has both which is what you do get what you pay for!
Didn't realize that difference...for some reason never noticed it when users are showing what it caught. Thanks for replies all...

Here's the manufacturer's link to support: LINK

Dixit

Reaction score
I’ll just say this much. Big car guy. Never installed one before. Decided why not try it on the Ram to see what all the talk is about. I installed it last week before my road trip from GA to Delaware and back to GA. So was about 1800 total miles on the trip. Catch can was installed the night before we left. I also did a fresh oil/filter change that night too before we left.

Tonight I decided to unscrew the catch can and see what’s inside. Was about 1/2” of oil. The picture is with the can tipped almost 30degrees. All that I guess would’ve just burned up on the intake side without the can. Interesting for sure.

Attachments

• E98B989C-2FAB-470C-B0D1-94FF8190C236.jpeg
    E98B989C-2FAB-470C-B0D1-94FF8190C236.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 384

19reb

@19reb — ICE is internal combustion engine. I shortened it up as I wasn’t wanting to keep typing it. I do apologize for any confusion.
Wow, paid forum poster huh. I’ll have a chat with the admins on that see if I can get on that plan.

PCV system was designed to manage crank case pressures in a sealed, no longer open to atmosphere system. Not from blow by, but from the rotating mass(crankshaft/balance weights) also pressures from the underside of pistons movement. Being displaced from one cylinder to another. Never gets to be even take and give so always pressure left over. That has to be released. Crank case pressure should be close to 0, actually a smige of vacuum when testing.
Realize engineering has been trying to control/reduce those pressures to increase efficiency.
That cover it? Do I still need to freshen up?? Or you have more smart *** comments/ assumptions to make.
All I do is try to inform this community to better it and the people in it. So they have more understanding of their trucks.

Right, so, again, according to you, "blow by" has nothing to do with positive crankcase pressures and all the positive pressure in the crankcase is created by the rotation of the crankshaft.
Got it....

You know what's funny? Nearly EVERY video, article, ad and etc. in which has to do with an Oil Catch Can or Oil/Air seperator, has the words "Blow By" in the description or somewhere in the writing. Yet you argue "Blow By" has nothing to do with PCV or positive crankcase pressures. Blow By is the very reason PCV was invented in 1958 by G.M... Do some research FFS....

I'll just leave this here in the event you missed it the first time I posted it - https://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

You've been misinformed. Zero assumptions on my end. Merely replying to what you posted. What YOU posted. Which is wrong and I've proven it several times....
I'm done trying to give you facts. I hope you have an enjoyable mis-informed life. Peace...

Last edited by a moderator:

cotonymopar

Reaction score
my 2 cents.... I have had 2 hemis before, 03 and 12... did not put one on, but did notice the degraded performance... the 03 had 202000 miles, the 12 had 116000.. so I have put on on my new 19, to see. if it keeps the performance,and cleaner upper end, it is well work this. When I change my oil, I will be draining the can for the first time...

SColang22

Reaction score
my 2 cents.... I have had 2 hemis before, 03 and 12... did not put one on, but did notice the degraded performance... the 03 had 202000 miles, the 12 had 116000.. so I have put on on my new 19, to see. if it keeps the performance,and cleaner upper end, it is well work this. When I change my oil, I will be draining the can for the first time...
Just drained mine for the first time. Pulled just over 1.5 oz from 2000 miles.
Update: so did some general math. I averaged about 15 mpg with most of this being city miles. So that's about 133 gallons of gas or about 17,000oz (to keep the same units of what the catch can caught) I am glad it did... yes. Is that 1.5 oz of oil/fuel that I caught every 17,000oz of fuel going to ruin my engine............ ill let you decide

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, so, again, according to you, "blow by" has nothing to do with positive crankcase pressures and all the positive pressure in the crankcase is created by the rotation of the crankshaft.
Got it....

You know what's funny? Nearly EVERY video, article, ad and etc. in which has to do with an Oil Catch Can or Oil/Air seperator, has the words "Blow By" in the description or somewhere in the writing. Yet you argue "Blow By" has nothing to do with PCV or positive crankcase pressures. Blow By is the very reason PCV was invented in 1958 by G.M... Do some research FFS....

I'll just leave this here in the event you missed it the first time I posted it - https://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

You've been misinformed. Zero assumptions on my end. Merely replying to what you posted. What YOU posted. Which is wrong and I've proven it several times....
I'm done trying to give you facts. I hope you have an enjoyable mis-informed life. Peace...
I appreciate all the time you took out of your own life. To let me know how misinformed mine is. If that’s what it takes to make you warm and fuzzy about your own self I’m happy I helped.

I’ll still stand by my statement. Blow by is just a generic term thats used to describe pcv system management. I never said blow by has nothing to do with it, it’s not the main reason for it. I will agree to disagree and we can move on.

Last edited:

Ch28

Reaction score
Okay, i think im going to get one. Now which one? Seems most ppl go with billet or mishimoto, any preference on either. Obviously the mishimoto is more expensive, is it better? Is one easier to install than ther other? Thanks

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was one thread on here that had a posting to a couple generic ones on eBay as well. I have no experience with any of these but it doesn't seem like a complicated part.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got Kryostar cannon ebay. Quarter of cost of any. Never any oil or debris to this date.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, i think im going to get one. Now which one? Seems most ppl go with billet or mishimoto, any preference on either. Obviously the mishimoto is more expensive, is it better? Is one easier to install than ther other? Thanks

The Mishimoto is better...it is both baffled and filtered. They are both super easy to install. If you can afford the Mishimoto...get the Mishimoto!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Found this explanation regarding blow by and how it’s an issue for direct injection, especially supercharged, engines but not an issue for port injection.

“The caking on intake valves is only a problem with direct injection engines. For all other engines that use port injection, the gas is introduced before the combustion chamber which means it flows over the intake valves and enter the combustion chamber premixed with the air. This action of the fuel flowing over the intake valves actually cleans the valves from any oil that may already be on there. The oil never has the chance to cake on the valves in port injection engines.”

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Found this explanation regarding blow by and how it’s an issue for direct injection, especially supercharged, engines but not an issue for port injection.

“The caking on intake valves is only a problem with direct injection engines. For all other engines that use port injection, the gas is introduced before the combustion chamber which means it flows over the intake valves and enter the combustion chamber premixed with the air. This action of the fuel flowing over the intake valves actually cleans the valves from any oil that may already be on there. The oil never has the chance to cake on the valves in port injection engines.”

Very true but it can gum up the intake. The purpose of a CC on Non-DI engines is different and has zero to do with the valves.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got Kryostar cannon ebay. Quarter of cost of any. Never any oil or debris to this date.

You're saying the can has had no oil in it since you installed? Or that it works fine.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're saying the can has had no oil in it since you installed? Or that it works fine.
I’m saying it works great. Apologize, no oil or debris in hose coming out of CC and into intake manifold. While the hose from pcv to can is full of yuck.

Users who are viewing this thread