5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m saying it works great. Apologize, no oil or debris in hose coming out of CC and into intake manifold. While the hose from pcv to can is full of yuck.
Thanks! I was trying to find that one on eBay, but looks unavailable.

Edit... Found one in silver.

Last edited:

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Okay, i think im going to get one. Now which one? Seems most ppl go with billet or mishimoto, any preference on either. Obviously the mishimoto is more expensive, is it better? Is one easier to install than ther other? Thanks
Billet Tech has a listing on ebay with some free upgrades, $116 + shipping.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ you can find the same one that already in states. That was just first one I came across

ChrisW74

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone I really didn't expect it to get this spirited on this subject. But I'm glad people on both sides of this answered.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone I really didn't expect it to get this spirited on this subject. But I'm glad people on both sides of this answered.

Ha. Spirited is exactly what everyone here is about their trucks! Ask a question about what valve stem caps to go with and you’ll get the same enthusiasm! Great forum here.

19reb

Okay, i think im going to get one. Now which one? Seems most ppl go with billet or mishimoto, any preference on either. Obviously the mishimoto is more expensive, is it better? Is one easier to install than ther other? Thanks

Speedlogix sells an exceptional catch can. Pretty much the exact same as the Billet tech can. But half the price and you'll actually get it some time this century. And no, this post is in no way paid for, sponsored or in any way shape or form have anything to do with Speedlogix other than a happy customer who owns one of their catch cans.

xsXGlpR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is 100% irrefutably, undoubtedly, unquestionably a personal preference. There is ZERO need or benefit on a stock naturally aspirated engine.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL for whatever reason this is contentious topic. Does it need it... probably not, does it hurt it..not at all. A catch can is just the term the automotive industry uses for a coalescing filter, they have been used in industry to filter oil out of compressed air systems for decades. Like @19reb said the PCV system is designed to vent the crankcase of un-burnt gasses that blow by the piston rings during normal operation and is part of the emissions control system, prior to the 1960s they used a draft tube to scavenge these gases and vented them to the atmosphere. Inevitably oil vapor also gets entrained in the gases and the coalescing filter "catch can" removes the oil vapor by coalescing it back into a liquid. Does it affect performance and efficiency, likely nothing significant to move the manufactures to install them from the factory, even on DI engines where catch cans actually have a larger impact. Due to increasingly strict CAFE standards bringing up fuel economy is obviously high on the priority list, think about the all the time and money manufactures have invested in engine technology to improve fuel economy, multi displacement, turbo charged 4 and 6 cylinders, e-torque, ram even went so far to design a secondary air-dam that drops down above 35 mph to pickup just fractions of an MPG. The added weight and R & D costs involved from any of these systems is significantly higher than an aluminum catch can. Logically, if there really were any significant gains to performance or efficiency you'd see these things on every truck rolling off the assembly line.

Viper67

Reaction score
So how long - miles, does it take to fill up the can? What would happen if you let it fill up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
Check out teamrxp they make a great product. Little pricey but good products. They are working on mine since they don't make one for the trucks yet mine will be the first.

ChrisW74

Reaction score
Speedlogix sells an exceptional catch can. Pretty much the exact same as the Billet tech can. But half the price and you'll actually get it some time this century. And no, this post is in no way paid for, sponsored or in any way shape or form have anything to do with Speedlogix other than a happy customer who owns one of their catch cans.

xsXGlpR.jpg

What is the part number? I looked on the website and didn't see one for Ram at all.

19reb

I assume the 2018 will work even the mounting bracket?

Yes it will. It'll bolt up exactly the same as any other catch can on our trucks or the 5.7 for that matter. It's the exact same mount I have and is pictured in my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is 100% irrefutably, undoubtedly, unquestionably a personal preference. There is ZERO need or benefit on a stock naturally aspirated engine.
My thought was for $100, it's not a bad idea. These things don't exactly wear out, so you could use it on future vehicles. Are you sure that oil gunk build up on the throttle body and the active intake (short & long runners) has ZERO negative effect on the engine? I'm willing to bet it's better to not have build up than to have it...

Logically, if there really were any significant gains to performance or efficiency you'd see these things on every truck rolling off the assembly line.
Not so sure about that. Hellcats have a built in oil separator for a reason, but people have found they still need a catch can to remove all the PCV vapors from the passenger side of the engine. I'm willing to bet the only reason we haven't seen these cans put on any vehicles from the factory because people barely maintain their vehicles as is... what do you think would happen if someone let the can fill with oil gunk (catch cans fill up with some nasty stuff) and overflow back into the engine, or worse, flow into the intake?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thought was for $100, it's not a bad idea. These things don't exactly wear out, so you could use it on future vehicles. Are you sure that oil gunk build up on the throttle body and the active intake (short & long runners) has ZERO negative effect on the engine? I'm willing to bet it's better to not have build up than to have it...

Not so sure about that. Hellcats have a built in oil separator for a reason, but people have found they still need a catch can to remove all the PCV vapors from the passenger side of the engine. I'm willing to bet the only reason we haven't seen these cans put on any vehicles from the factory because people barely maintain their vehicles as is... what do you think would happen if someone let the can fill with oil gunk (catch cans fill up with some nasty stuff) and overflow back into the engine, or worse, flow into the intake?

Forced induction is whole different animal than a naturally aspirated engine, boost pressure on the intake side creates issues with scavenging the blow by gases and the higher compression ratio makes it more critical to not have any oil vapor in the A/F mixture. But I agree with you 100% on the maintenance aspect, even if you somehow integrated a coalescing system into the oil change process where it was impossible to perform an oil change without draining the contaminates out of the catch can it still doesn't eliminate the human factor of going well past the required oil change intervals and risking the res. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have been in the field for a good while and try as you might you to protect a system for all variables the human element is near impossible to safe guard against. I was at a training seminar about 6 months ago and one of the instructors asked if anyone knew how long a Honda CRV could go without an oil change, the answer was 63479 miles apparently his daughter bought a brand new CRV and never checked or changed the oil and it seized up at that mileage. Pretty impressive actually.

19reb

Forced induction is whole different animal than a naturally aspirated engine, boost pressure on the intake side creates issues with scavenging the blow by gases and the higher compression ratio makes it more critical to not have any oil vapor in the A/F mixture. But I agree with you 100% on the maintenance aspect, even if you somehow integrated a coalescing system into the oil change process where it was impossible to perform an oil change without draining the contaminates out of the catch can it still doesn't eliminate the human factor of going well past the required oil change intervals and risking the res. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have been in the field for a good while and try as you might you to protect a system for all variables the human element is near impossible to safe guard against. I was at a training seminar about 6 months ago and one of the instructors asked if anyone knew how long a Honda CRV could go without an oil change, the answer was 63479 miles apparently his daughter bought a brand new CRV and never checked or changed the oil and it seized up at that mileage. Pretty impressive actually.

Beside, as you mentioned, the A/F ratios, one of the biggest problems with boosted engines with internal heat exchangers(Hellcat) is oil getting in the exchangers and gunking them up. Which then makes it impossible for them to do their job correctly. If I'm not mistaken, this is the reason SRT added the separator in the valve cover in the Hellcat engines(6.2) in an attempt to fix this problem. The SRT separator does work, just not very well. Which is where a separate catch can comes in.

19reb

The amount of dirty oil I recovered from my catch can that would have otherwise went into my intake and gunked stuff up.

Only 1800 miles. Worth it in my opinion...

LYdC5Jm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread