5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

inlo

Reaction score
I was worried if the plastic baffle on the eBay can broke the metal shavings could be ducked into the engine. The Tasan can has a filter that would prevent this from happening.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I saw a video with a guy that ran 2 catch cans to compare and determine if one was better than the other ( RX Performance Vs. Moroso). The $53 ebay had a plastic baffle in the top filled with aluminum shavings. I really didn't like the design, then saw this $19 Tasan on amazon that had a design like the Mishimoto. So for $19 I wanted to see if one would catch more that the other. My findings, after 700 miles there was about an ounce in the ebay can and nothing in the Tasan can.

Your test is very flawed. The oil will end up in can #1 and you should get nothing in can #2. What am I missing???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@inlo ...I am looking more closely at your pictures and, maybe it's the angle, but the PCV should feed the INLET on can #1, the OUTLET on can #1 should feed the INLET on can #2 and the OUTLET on can #2 should feed the intake. I only see two hoses in your pics???

whetrick1

Reaction score
@inlo ...I am looking more closely at your pictures and, maybe it's the angle, but the PCV should feed the INLET on can #1, the OUTLET on can #1 should feed the INLET on can #2 and the OUTLET on can #2 should feed the intake. I only see two hoses in your pics???

It looks like to me that he has the out of the first can connected straight to 2nd cans inlet and the out on the 2nd can connected to the intake. But like you said the 2nd can shouldn’t be catching anything until the 1st can is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inlo

Reaction score
You are correct, I did connect the first can output directly into the input of the second can.
IMAG0591.jpg
I know I don't need 2 cans, but I wasn't going to run the first can alone(plastic baffle w/ metal shavings) without something to catch the shavings if the plastic baffle broke. Definitely overkill.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I would just get rid of the plastic baffled can and go with a Mishimoto or the "fake" Chinese one you already have.

I know they say that the Mishimoto catch can is expensive but so are any of the other mods if you buy quality parts. But their lifetime warranty covers if you're in a wreck and it gets damaged they will replace it. And the one I'm using now is the same one that I had on my 2016 Ram.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I'd remove the problem rather than 'double down'.

Yes take the cheap stuff off and use the good stuff. And don't expect too much, you get what you pay for.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Always amazes me that people will spend $50-$65K on a vehicle and then buy $19 parts on eBay or Amazon to install on their vehicle. I agree with @whetrick1 ...just buy the real thing (Mishimoto) that has a proven track record with awesome support and call it a day.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
So since Mishimoto can't seem to ever make more of their catch cans to sell, what alternatives are the best if one can't wait for Mishimoto?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So since Mishimoto can't seem to ever make more of their catch cans to sell, what alternatives are the best if one can't wait for Mishimoto?
Our engine is not a DI engine so there is really no rush to put an occ on our vehicles. So I assume they are still showing out of stock on their site? Have you reached out to Steve to inquire? I know some have used a billet one for around $75-$100 or less and I am sure it’s adequate but it’s no Mishimoto!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Our engine is not a DI engine so there is really no rush to put an occ on our vehicles. So I assume they are still showing out of stock on their site? Have you reached out to Steve to inquire? I know some have used a billet one for around $75-$100 or less and I am sure it’s adequate but it’s no Mishimoto!
I called them and told them which card I was putting it on and they put in my records and called me 2 weeks later and told me to go ahead and pay for it and they sent it right out to me.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
I called them and told them which card I was putting it on and they put in my records and called me 2 weeks later and told me to go ahead and pay for it and they sent it right out to me.

How long ago was this?

Newguy

Reaction score
Been following this and I appreciate all the information. I understand the benefits. I wonder if the catch cans have any air pressure drop across the device that the PCV system wasn't designed for? (is there greater pressure drop when it's all gunked up?) I'm guessing it's negligible given the the amount of air flow passing by. Also, is there a fail safe with the Mishimoto such that if you forget to empty it there a bypass for the crankcase gas to still vent to the intake?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Been following this and I appreciate all the information. I understand the benefits. I wonder if the catch cans have any air pressure drop across the device that the PCV system wasn't designed for? (is there greater pressure drop when it's all gunked up?) I'm guessing it's negligible given the the amount of air flow passing by. Also, is there a fail safe with the Mishimoto such that if you forget to empty it there a bypass for the crankcase gas to still vent to the intake?

I wouldn't be concerned about pressure drop. No fail safes in these as they need to remain sealed for vacuum pressure. If you forget to empty it, based on the catch cans design, it will spill right back into the intake or can prevent the flow from PCV to intake from taking place. If you are going to install one, plan to check it religiously every 2-3K miles to be safe. The RAM can will hold at last 7oz I believe which is a TON of blowby. You will typically see about 1-2oz every 2-3K miles in the summer and that will increase in the winter based on condensation that can quickly fill the can with more water than anything else.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about pressure drop. No fail safes in these as they need to remain sealed for vacuum pressure. If you forget to empty it, based on the catch cans design, it will spill right back into the intake or can prevent the flow from PCV to intake from taking place. If you are going to install one, plan to check it religiously every 2-3K miles to be safe. The RAM can will hold at last 7oz I believe which is a TON of blowby. You will typically see about 1-2oz every 2-3K miles in the summer and that will increase in the winter based on condensation that can quickly fill the can with more water than anything else.

I drain mine every 1500 miles and usually drain out about 2.5 ounces. This is based on the way you drive also.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
There's no need for one. If you want it get it but it wont hurt not having one. Its personal preference
I’ll post a picture of my 54365 mile 2013 TB. Sometimes a photo is the BEST SELLER for something. At 54,000 miles my TB failed and was coated with grease on the backside of the butterfly.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
I’ll post a picture of my 54365 mile 2013 TB. Sometimes a photo is the BEST SELLER for something. At 54,000 miles my TB failed and was coated with grease on the backside of the butterfly.
I don't think the blow-by could cause that; the butterfly valve isn't in a position for the blow by to come anywhere near it by design (you can test this yourself by taking a vacuum, placing a water spray bottle between a hose attachment and the hose, placing your finger at the end of the attachment so you feel the air movement, then spray the water into the attachment towards your finger and see if the water is able to overcome the airflow to reach your finger).

Sounds more like something somehow leaked into the throttle body, which eventually destroyed it; I don't think the Catch Can will hurt, but I don't think it will help either. At worst, the original issue was caused by something you may have done (like driving in an area saturated with oil in the air such as a refinery) and you never find out, so you assume the catch can solves your issue and continue driving in the same area which destroys a second TB. Still very unlikely, but I would investigate the TB issue more just in case and don't assume the blow by was the cause.

Edit: Further research may indicate the breather is before the TB on the RAM, which may lead to this issue. I haven't been able to determine if this is true on the DT's. I have also read that a damaged or worn out PCV valve will cause this issue; in this case, a Catch Can may save the TB, but it would not solve the issue as the broken PCV valve will lead to bigger problems if not addressed.

Last edited:

rceagle1a

Reaction score
I don't think the blow-by could cause that; the butterfly valve isn't in a position for the blow by to come anywhere near it by design (you can test this yourself by taking a vacuum, placing a water spray bottle between a hose attachment and the hose, placing your finger at the end of the attachment so you feel the air movement, then spray the water into the attachment towards your finger and see if the water is able to overcome the airflow to reach your finger).

Sounds more like something somehow leaked into the throttle body, which eventually destroyed it; I don't think the Catch Can will hurt, but I don't think it will help either. At worst, the original issue was caused by something you may have done (like driving in an area saturated with oil in the air such as a refinery) and you never find out, so you assume the catch can solves your issue and continue driving in the same area which destroys a second TB. Still very unlikely, but I would investigate the TB issue more just in case and don't assume the blow by was the cause.

Edit: Further research may indicate the breather is before the TB on the RAM, which may lead to this issue. I haven't been able to determine if this is true on the DT's. I have also read that a damaged or worn out PCV valve will cause this issue; in this case, a Catch Can may save the TB, but it would not solve the issue as the broken PCV valve will lead to bigger problems if not addressed.
Funny my oily crap was plastered on the “engine” side of the tb. Again this was on my 2013ram 1500 I traded in. Miss my 3.55 gears,lol. 375EA4B6-C7E4-43A1-963E-AE94B4168F04.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread