5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Yeah that looks pretty bad. I guess as the PCV lets the blow by go through the system it could accumulate on the backside of the throttle body if your doing a lot of idling like city driving. Pics of catch can installation.
7ac21c8e926433a76c368ac812c9f709.jpg
87c331524f155fc96afb95066608d387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah that looks pretty bad. I guess as the PCV lets the blow by go through the system it could accumulate on the backside of the throttle body if your doing a lot of idling like city driving. Pics of catch can installation.
7ac21c8e926433a76c368ac812c9f709.jpg
87c331524f155fc96afb95066608d387.jpg

I want a mishimoto, anyone heard any update on when they may have more in stock?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Call them that’s what I did and they took my info and kept me posted. Told me it was going to be about a month before they got any in. Emailed me 2 weeks later and finished the order and had it about 3 days later.

M

Mdegen93

A catch can is the same as an oil/air separator. Personal preference really has nothing to do with it. If it did, race teams wouldn't use them and swear by them. Think about that.

The 5.7 is notorious for a lot of blow by. If you don't know what that is, look it up. A catch can "catches" blow by before it gunks up the intake on the engine.

Will a catch can give you a performance boost? No. But it will make your engine run much, much cleaner and much, much more efficiently.

Where the "personal preference" comes in, is do you want a clean, efficient running engine or do you want a gunked up turd. Your choice.

I personally won't run a Hemi without a catch can. Especially the 5.7.

ETA: If there were no need for a catch can or oil/air separator, Mopar/SRT wouldn't factory fit the Hellcat, Redeye or Demon with one. Yes, those have the SC 6.2 and are much higher performance and I'd argue with anyone who says the 5.7 can't perform at the same levels. Again, clean engine vs dirty engine - your choice.
Couldn’t have said it better.. the amount of oil I get out of mine every 1000km is crazy

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in. I had a catch can on my previous Jeep SRT. Although it does catch oil it also catches a lot of moisture. What comes out it mostly milky looking oil because it's mixes with water.

The big problem for me was in winter months. It catches so much moisture that you need to empty it constantly. If you forget and it gets full it can cause your dip stick to pop up when starting and a very hard start. I had this happen a few times and it was enough for me to remove it. The crankcase pressure had nowhere to go and causes this. I figured this can't be good for the engine so I removed it.

I won't be putting one on my ram. If it gets a bit of carbon build up over a few hundred thousand km that's fine with me.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in. I had a catch can on my previous Jeep SRT. Although it does catch oil it also catches a lot of moisture. What comes out it mostly milky looking oil because it's mixes with water.

The big problem for me was in winter months. It catches so much moisture that you need to empty it constantly. If you forget and it gets full it can cause your dip stick to pop up when starting and a very hard start. I had this happen a few times and it was enough for me to remove it. The crankcase pressure had nowhere to go and causes this. I figured this can't be good for the engine so I removed it.

I won't be putting one on my ram. If it gets a bit of carbon build up over a few hundred thousand km that's fine with me.

I drain mine every 1500 miles and it only takes 5 mins to do. So not a bad deal for a cleaner engine. Your choice.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Looking at the Mishimoto website, I see it offers a drain kit for $35. How do you empty the can if it doesn't come with a drain?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
with the amount I have dumped already, from the factory oil, was about a 1/4 quart... I am glad I got one. I spent a lot of time cleaning my high mileage hemis before...

whetrick1

Reaction score
Looking at the Mishimoto website, I see it offers a drain kit for $35. How do you empty the can if it doesn't come with a drain?

It’s put on real tight so you better break it lose and unscrew it one time before installing it. I bought a drain valve for an air compressor and and it screwed right in after I removed the plug in the bottom of the catch can. If you take the plug out and take it with you to match it to the valve. Home Depot or Lowe’s will have them for around 4.00 dollars.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Now that's more like it. Thanks.

It’s put on real tight so you better break it lose and unscrew it one time before installing it. I bought a drain valve for an air compressor and and it screwed right in after I removed the plug in the bottom of the catch can. If you take the plug out and take it with you to match it to the valve. Home Depot or Lowe’s will have them for around 4.00 dollars.

pinkerton

Reaction score
A catch can is the same as an oil/air separator. Personal preference really has nothing to do with it. If it did, race teams wouldn't use them and swear by them. Think about that.

The 5.7 is notorious for a lot of blow by. If you don't know what that is, look it up. A catch can "catches" blow by before it gunks up the intake on the engine.

Will a catch can give you a performance boost? No. But it will make your engine run much, much cleaner and much, much more efficiently.

Where the "personal preference" comes in, is do you want a clean, efficient running engine or do you want a gunked up turd. Your choice.

I personally won't run a Hemi without a catch can. Especially the 5.7.

ETA: If there were no need for a catch can or oil/air separator, Mopar/SRT wouldn't factory fit the Hellcat, Redeye or Demon with one. Yes, those have the SC 6.2 and are much higher performance and I'd argue with anyone who says the 5.7 can't perform at the same levels. Again, clean engine vs dirty engine - your choice.
Dirty

Users who are viewing this thread