5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does this look upside down to anyone else with the Hellwig? I thought it should be pointing down slightly. Just trying to assist if necessary - could just be camera angle. Cheers-
Yeah i think its upside down as well. Here’s mine for reference
Put the Hellwig 7709 Sway Bar on today! Had to go out for a quick drive. I have to say, I love it. Corners do feel nicer, but for me the biggest plus is hitting bumps. Especially to one side of the truck. It settles out so quickly.

View attachment 108103
Sounds like it still works upside down though, not sure if there’s any reason to flip it around so long as it’s not rubbing anything but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 2A98943A-329F-4D3E-AF42-DDFE69FB4308.jpeg
    2A98943A-329F-4D3E-AF42-DDFE69FB4308.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 129

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went overboard again and ordered the Eibach Pro Lift Kit Stage 1 for the RAM. I went with Eibach because I’ve used them for lowered trucks for years and have always liked the ride. Plus, my truck is a pavement princess. Now I have to figure out how to return the readylift kit I just got in.

View attachment 108111
Well if they won’t take the Readylift kit back you could probably sell it on here pretty easily!

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see alot of guys here talk about the rear sway bar but nobody talks about the front sway bar….why?

i know nothing about either, trying to learn something.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see alot of guys here talk about the rear sway bar but nobody talks about the front sway bar….why?
The front one is pretty beefy, much bigger than the rear one stock. My guess is because thats where most of the weight is so ram had to make it bigger. Also Hellwig does not make a front sway bar for the rams. I recall reading something from Hellwig on why they dont make a front sway bar, it was something along the lines of "the stock one is good enough" :ROFLMAO:

There are people on here that have swapped out the front sway bar bushings for polyurethane ones and report small gains in handling, not as much as the hellwig bar does though.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well if they won’t take the Readylift kit back you could probably sell it on here pretty easily!
I just remembered that I have to keep the ready lift kit for the UCA’s since I’m doing a 3” front / 1” rear lift. Guess I’ll only be selling the 2” spacers here.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

i know nothing about either, trying to learn something.

Too much front sway bar causes push or not turning in hard driving

Cajun_

Reaction score
Does the upgraded sway bar make the ride any harsher? I have the air suspension and I notice an almost sideways shimmy Everytime I turn. Not like an oversteer sideways motion more like I'm pushing the tires off the wheels sideways motion

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the upgraded sway bar make the ride any harsher? I have the air suspension and I notice an almost sideways shimmy Everytime I turn. Not like an oversteer sideways motion more like I'm pushing the tires off the wheels sideways motion
Still have a smooth ride in mine.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dont have factory air ride but my truck rides the same as before.

sd2134

Reaction score
The front one is pretty beefy, much bigger than the rear one stock. My guess is because thats where most of the weight is so ram had to make it bigger. Also Hellwig does not make a front sway bar for the rams. I recall reading something from Hellwig on why they dont make a front sway bar, it was something along the lines of "the stock one is good enough" :ROFLMAO:

There are people on here that have swapped out the front sway bar bushings for polyurethane ones and report small gains in handling, not as much as the hellwig bar does though.
You are correct.

Answer from Hellwig.

Why doesn’t Hellwig manufacture aftermarket Dodge pickup front sway bars?
We often get customers asking why our truck sway bar line has front and rear sway bars for Ford and GM trucks but only rear sway bars for the majority of the Dodge trucks. It really comes down to an easy answer, they don’t need them. Sway bars are a torsional spring that decreases body roll and sway in a vehicle. From the factory, vehicles are often set up with soft sway bars and with an understeer bias. By making aftermarket sway bars with larger diameters, we increase the stiffness of the bar to decrease body roll even further and bring the vehicle more towards a neutral steer balance. We determine the correct diameter for the bar from a series of calculations, test fit and test drives. The trick is to make the bar stiff enough to decrease body roll and sway and improve handling while not too stiff to hurt handling. Remember, a bigger bar is not always a better bar. After a point it will actually hurt more than help, which is why you don’t see companies making 3” diameter sway bars. In our testing with the Dodge trucks, they do not follow the industry trend of soft stock front sway bars and usually have a very stiff front bar that does not need improvement. While we would love to sell you something for the front of the Dodge trucks, our goal is to make products you need, not just something for you to buy since it is available. For comparison, a 2012 Ford Super Duty 4×4 has a factory 1-1/8” front sway bar which we increase to 1-5/16” on our aftermarket bar. A 2012 Dodge 3500 4×4 comes stock with an 1-7/16” front sway bar which is already 1/4” bigger than our aftermarket bar for the Super Duty. Obviously there is no need to increase this bar even more. We will keep testing the Dodge trucks as they come out to see if any of them need a front sway bar (for instance we found the 2009-2013 Dodge 1500 2wd could use a stiffer front bar so we make one for that model) but if you have a Dodge and we don’t make a bar, it is most likely because it is not necessary. And remember, while Dodge trucks have a strong front bar, they often have a soft or nonexistent rear bar so you will feel a large improvement with the upgraded Hellwig rear sway bar whether you’re towing, hauling or just daily driving you truck!"

SNVulkan

Reaction score
Yeah i think its upside down as well. Here’s mine for reference

Sounds like it still works upside down though, not sure if there’s any reason to flip it around so long as it’s not rubbing anything but I could be wrong.
I think you guys are right based on your pictures. I'll look at it again tomorrow morning. I didn't notice any issues, in fact the ride was great. I am wondering if there's a point to switching it. I guess I should regardless, just in case. Either way, appreciate the comment! I was in too much of a rush I guess. That's what I get for installing it while I was "working."

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you guys are right based on your pictures. I'll look at it again tomorrow morning. I didn't notice any issues, in fact the ride was great. I am wondering if there's a point to switching it. I guess I should regardless, just in case. Either way, appreciate the comment! I was in too much of a rush I guess. That's what I get for installing it while I was "working."
From an engineering perspective, it might be worth a call to Hellwig tomorrow to find out if it’s possible to install upside down, because I don’t think it matters. From the mounts to where the end links mount are identical, as are the lengths of the arms. The bar’s purpose is to twist and add spring rate to the springs. If the arm lengths are the same, it shouldn’t matter what orientation the center is.

SNVulkan

Reaction score
From an engineering perspective, it might be worth a call to Hellwig tomorrow to find out if it’s possible to install upside down, because I don’t think it matters. From the mounts to where the end links mount are identical, as are the lengths of the arms. The bar’s purpose is to twist and add spring rate to the springs. If the arm lengths are the same, it shouldn’t matter what orientation the center is.
I thought about that, but I don't mind flipping it. In fact I just went out and did it. I knew my mind wouldn't stop thinking about it unless I just went and got it done. Only took me about 30 minutes. It was definitely upside down, but it doesn't seem like it's THAT much different than the way I had it. I do think it would be just fine either way, but why risk it when it's an easy job.

And I do appreciate everyone letting me know! Probably something I should have checked as I finished.

Gitter

Reaction score

If I remember correctly, the orientation does matter when the rear suspension is at FULL flex. The bar may tap the pumpkin or something like that. I don't imagine it would be anything serious...just a "possible" rubbing issues.

Ryan030389

Reaction score
Installed my amp power steps. Way easier than when I installed them on my gladiator. Thanks to Alex @Realtruck for hooking me up. These things are impossible to find anywhere.

7e2b00381b90c6a55c42c1a12666da02.jpg

40ab704295d317950abc3040baa7cb73.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread