5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

When you use a weight distribution hitch with a trailer that is lighter than the tow vehicle you are transferring some of the weight of the vehicle to the trailer. Given the tires on most trailers that is a bad idea.

It is necessary for safe travel. You just need to put ST tires on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you need better suspension or a bigger truck. I see a lot of trailers being pulled by tow vehicles that are too small for the job.

Or you need better suspension or a bigger truck. I see a lot of trailers being pulled by tow vehicles that are too small for the job.
Naturally, but most states are not enforcing existing laws around this type of thing. Also, even with a larger truck, a torsion bar WDH is still safer than towing without one. The torsion bar WDH systems also prevent sway via the friction the bars create at the pressure points. I would always choose to tow(heavy towing) this way unless its a 5th wheel or Gooseneck.

Naturally, but most states are not enforcing existing laws around this type of thing. Also, even with a larger truck, a torsion bar WDH is still safer than towing without one. The torsion bar WDH systems also prevent sway via the friction the bars create at the pressure points. I would always choose to tow(heavy towing) this way unless its a 5th wheel or Gooseneck.
Completely agree. My trailer is only ~5k pounds, but I wouldn't dream of not using a wdh. I'm also a big proponent of properly inflated tires, and traveling the speed limit (or less). Sadly, many folks don't, and they're often the ones on the side of the road with blowouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back