5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
From what I understand Uconnect 5 will not work on the old systems since its Droid based or something to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Plenty of threads on this. Do a search

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like others said, you won't be able to software upgrade to the new system. But I don't see why you can't replace the components to make it work. You can put the 12" screen into older 4th gen trucks so I'm sure we will figure out how to put the new one in when we are able to buy the parts.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.
What about 2021 radio module not working on 2019-2020 trucks? Isn't it a sign that the new UC5 modules are not going to work on older trucks?
2019 and 2021(or 2022) BCM's are different... maybe we won't be able to upgrade at all...
Well, hopefully your tests will prove otherwise..

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Some issues that might turn people off/away from swapping to the UC 5 system are:

1. You will lose OTA updates.
2. Ram Connect app won’t work. (Changed from Guardian app in MY2022). By APP I mean remote start/stop, send and go nav, find my vehicle and security features people like to pay outlandish prices for.
3. May( I say May) have issues with SOS service buttons.(edited)
4. May have other modules (hvac for one possibly) that have to be changed.
5. May have to go to dealer to PROXI the BCM for all available features on the radio to work. This won’t fix #1 and #2 above. May or may not be able to use AlfaOBD or OBDLink to also do this. (Edited) From reply below: 5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.

I say all this because in looking to upgrade my wife’s 2017 Cherokee 8.4 nav unit to a newer 2018/19 MY 8.4C radio with CarPlay/AA, these are the issues they’ve run into. The 1st 2 items because the newer radios can’t be Registered to an older MY vehicle VIN that wasn’t built with the newer radios. They’ve been trying for over 3 years now trying to get the OTA to work on 2014-2018MY Jeeps with no success. I’m sure it’s across the board on all FCA vehicles just only read about the GC/Cherokees.

(Edited)
Just to clarify, I am in no way saying the upgrade/swap won’t work as it will work thanks to the SMART people on this forum with the time and knowledge to make it work. I am just pointing out what will be most likely be lost or “might” have to be done to complete it. Hopefully this post will forewarn and prevent people from asking the same questions over and over about OTAs and will the APP work or why the APP doesn't work.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some issues that might turn people off/away from swapping to the UC 5 system are:

1. Most likely will lose OTA updates.
2. Ram Connect app won’t work. (Changed from Guardian app in MY2022)
3. May( I say May) have issues with cellular service.
4. May have other modules (hvac for one possibly) that have to be changed.
5. May have to go to dealer to PROXI the BCM for all available features on the radio to work. This won’t fix #1 and #2 above. May or may not be able to use AlfaOBD or OBDLink to also do this.

I say all this because in looking to upgrade my wife’s 2017 Cherokee 8.4 nav unit to a newer 2018/19 MY 8.4C radio with CarPlay/AA, these are the issues they’ve run into. The 1st 2 items because the newer radios can’t be Registered to a older MY vehicle VIN that wasn’t built with the newer radios. They’ve been trying for over 3 years now trying to get the OTA to work on 2014-2018MY Jeeps with no success. I’m sure it’s across the board on all FCA vehicles just only read about the GC/Cherokees.
1- correct, but this is already common knowledge. There are other means to get the updates.
2- correct, this is common knowledge also, and I don’t think people that would be doing the swap care about that.
3- Cell service? As in, the WiFi hotspot? That still works. I have the hotspot working on the 12” radio that’s transplanted into my 2017.
4- no other modules will need to be changed on a 2019+ ram
5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.
I think this swap will work no problem. I’m just waiting on a radio module that’s 3 months backordered.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
1- correct, but this is already common knowledge. There are other means to get the updates.
2- correct, this is common knowledge also, and I don’t think people that would be doing the swap care about that.
3- Cell service? As in, the WiFi hotspot? That still works. I have the hotspot working on the 12” radio that’s transplanted into my 2017.
5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.
I think this swap will work no problem. I’m just waiting on a radio module that’s 3 months backordered.

Just pointing it out to those that want to try this and haven’t researched an upgrade like this. To those that have done this type upgrade in the past it IS common knowledge but NOT to others.

1&2 yes it is but see paragraph above. It wasn’t to me until I started researching.

For #4 there’s no way to know 100% until it’s done. For examples the 2014 Grand Cherokee has to replace the HVAC module for their heated seats/steering wheel to work properly. The 2014-18 Cherokees have to replace their HVAC module for the radio upgrade. I assume for the same reason. So I’m just saying it’s a possibility until you’ve attempted this.

Do you have heated/ventilated seats/steering wheel in your ‘17? Did you have to change any modules for them to work(through the radio screen) if so?

For #3 I believe I read a few times in the 1450+ threads under 1 post in the Jeep forum that the SOS/assistance buttons overhead didn’t work either. I could be wrong though. Does yours(if you have them) work? For me and my opinion it’s not a big deal with everyone having cell phones.

I never said it wouldn’t work. I’m just pointing out some possible issues for people to be aware of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just pointing it out to those that want to try this and haven’t researched an upgrade like this. To those that have done this type upgrade in the past it IS common knowledge but NOT to others.

1&2 yes it is but see paragraph above. It wasn’t to me until I started researching.

For #4 there’s no way to know 100% until it’s done. For examples the 2014 Grand Cherokee has to replace the HVAC module for their heated seats/steering wheel to work properly. The 2014-18 Cherokees have to replace their HVAC module for the radio upgrade. I assume for the same reason. So I’m just saying it’s a possibility until you’ve attempted this.

Do you have heated/ventilated seats/steering wheel in your ‘17? Did you have to change any modules for them to work(through the radio screen) if so?

For #3 I believe I read a few times in the 1450+ threads under 1 post in the Jeep forum that the SOS/assistance buttons overhead didn’t work either. I could be wrong though. Does yours(if you have them) work? For me and my opinion it’s not a big deal with everyone having cell phones.

I never said it wouldn’t work. I’m just pointing out some possible issues for people to be aware of.

Jimmy07 is a master at this and knows more about these trucks and systems than most. He's done a ton of upgrades and has helped a lot of us add higher trim stuff to our trucks. I only say this because you may not know who he is.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Jimmy07 is a master at this and knows more about these trucks and systems than most. He's done a ton of upgrades and has helped a lot of us add higher trim stuff to our trucks. I only say this because you may not know who he is.

Nope don’t know who he is but from reading the thread I know he knows what he’s doing. However, like myself, someone wanting to do this and never done it before, these are some of the things I wished were on page 1 or 2 of a thread instead of page 30-something out of 75.

Not that it won’t prevent people that refuse to read/search, asking the same questions or crying/complaining over and over about these known/possible issues. But at least they’ll be posted and replied to early.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 First off I’m in no way trying to argue with you, just trying to prevent 75 pages of posts asking the same questions over and over(not that that won’t happen anyways). Second, quick question for you. For updates; as I definitely don’t know and was extremely confused from the Jeep forum thread. When doing future software updates, am I correct in that it’s Not tied to a VIN only that you’d have to have a MY VIN with that radio model to be able to download it OR get the update file from someone else that’s downloaded it? Lastly thank you for doing this as I’d rather pay a couple 1000 to do this instead of buying a new truck once it works and we know what’s all needed. 😂😂

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 First off I’m in no way trying to argue with you, just trying to prevent 75 pages of posts asking the same questions over and over(not that that won’t happen anyways). Second, quick question for you. For updates; as I definitely don’t know and was extremely confused from the Jeep forum thread. When doing future software updates, am I correct in that it’s Not tied to a VIN only that you’d have to have a MY VIN with that radio model to be able to download it OR get the update file from someone else that’s downloaded it? Lastly thank you for doing this as I’d rather pay a couple 1000 to do this instead of buying a new truck once it works and we know what’s all needed. 😂😂
OTA updates are tied to the VIN, that’s why you don’t get them on a transplanted radio- because after a drive cycle, the new radio pulls your VIN from the BCM. If you swapped a UAQ into your Cherokee, and you want to update it, you’ll have to talk a tech at the service department into downloading it for you. Grab the VIN of a wrecked 2019-2020 Cherokee that came with a UAQ radio, and see if he’ll perform this TSB-
That update should give you off-road pages once you proxi it in with AlfaOBD.
As far as explaining every aspect of something that hasn’t been done yet, I’ll start a dedicated how-to thread that addresses all the drawbacks when the time comes. In the meantime, I’m sure it’ll be asked over and over again, in multiple threads, if the swap can be done.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OTA updates are tied to the VIN, that’s why you don’t get them on a transplanted radio- because after a drive cycle, the new radio pulls your VIN from the BCM. If you swapped a UAQ into your Cherokee, and you want to update it, you’ll have to talk a tech at the service department into downloading it for you. Grab the VIN of a wrecked 2019-2020 Cherokee that came with a UAQ radio, and see if he’ll perform this TSB-
That update should give you off-road pages once you proxi it in with AlfaOBD.
As far as explaining every aspect of something that hasn’t been done yet, I’ll start a dedicated how-to thread that addresses all the drawbacks when the time comes. In the meantime, I’m sure it’ll be asked over and over again, in multiple threads, if the swap can be done.
I’m looking forward to your thread on this 👍

ProKubinator

Reaction score

I am interested in trying to swap to the 12" Uconnect 5 but #2 (no smartphone app) would be a dealbreaker for me. I just have to respectfully disagree with you that most people don't care about that. Wonder if there's some way to get it to work!!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in trying to swap to the 12" Uconnect 5 but #2 (no smartphone app) would be a dealbreaker for me. I just have to respectfully disagree with you that most people don't care about that. Wonder if there's some way to get it to work!!
Meh…I use car link at $3/mo for the remote start phone app, and it works 100% of the time. Don’t need vehicle health reports because it’s redundant to what I can see on the EVIC. I’ve never misplaced my vehicle before, so I don’t need to know where it is, and I just tell Siri where I want to go on the fly. All the other stuff is over priced novelties to me.
But, either way, there is no way, at all, that you’ll be able to change guardian over to ram connect because of your VIN that would marry to the UC5.

Users who are viewing this thread