5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, Classic is the older design with the curved door bottom. I don't know if there is any steel inside them but you only have to open one to realize that the DS (older design) is far heavier than the new DT redesign. That alone explains why the warping is happening.

Hmm, the look mechanism is pretty different too.
A friend of mine has a Gen4 rebel, got one around the same time I did. His has an issue with the lock not working. Won't turn or something to that effect? Er, doesn't work with the fob, he has to use a key, and it gets stuck?

Ram likely redesigned the Gen2 boxes to avoid that, to make it lighter (to eat into the payload less, the Gen4 trucks were not payload kings), and I assume cost to produce savings - that's what businesses do.

Arth

Reaction score
Hmm, the look mechanism is pretty different too.
A friend of mine has a Gen4 rebel, got one around the same time I did. His has an issue with the lock not working. Won't turn or something to that effect? Er, doesn't work with the fob, he has to use a key, and it gets stuck?

Ram likely redesigned the Gen2 boxes to avoid that, to make it lighter (to eat into the payload less, the Gen4 trucks were not payload kings), and I assume cost to produce savings - that's what businesses do.

‘They redesigned it maybe but the reason why your friends doesn’t work with the key is because the plastic clips that turn the lock have broken. This is because every time a 4th Gen is unlocked it also cycles the Ramboxes and the tailgate causes extra movement and wear on those plastic clips. In the 5th Gens they stopped this and the lock is only actuated when you press the button on the tailgate or Rambox.

As far as wrapping my June built limited is starting to do the same. It only comes out of the garage twice a week or so now and it’s still happening. Unfortunate.

Msgtowens

Reaction score
I don't see this getting fixed. They tried switching to a cheaper material (plastic) and are obviously paying the price for it. The Ramboxes will need to be redesigned with a more heat/weather resistant plastic or with standard body panel metal (aluminum). I doubt the redesign would be a simple swap/retrofit and I doubt Ram wants to invest the money in such a recall. They'll probably implement the fix in a few years when they refresh the 2019 style but I wouldn't count on them ever addressing current owner complaints.
I went to my local Dodge dealer after contacting @RAM cares and got the approval (took 3 weeks) to get both ramboxes replaced. Have less than 2500 miles on my 2019 Laramie longhorn. Hopefully this will fix the warping issue that I have but if it is the same vendor then probably wont.

Msgtowens

Reaction score
Yes, Classic is the older design with the curved door bottom. I don't know if there is any steel inside them but you only have to open one to realize that the DS (older design) is far heavier than the new DT redesign. That alone explains why the warping is happening.
I have a 2015 with rambox and dont have the warping issue like I do with the 2019. The kids are definitely made out of something different and the 2015 kids feel heavier than the 2019 kids.

Msgtowens

Reaction score
Just went outside with my magnetic stud finder and put it on my 2015 rambox lid. There is a small amount of metal in the lid. Put on my 2019 rambox lid and it slid right off. 2015 has some metal in it and 2019 is complete plastic. Guess I know why the 2019 warps and my 2015 never has.

Pepper

Reaction score
I'm curious if the new Gen5 2020 Ram's will have the same issues. It would seem likely as I'm sure there weren't any plant or manufacturer changes between 2019 and 2020.
Those with 2020 models, post up and tell us your experiences with the Rambox.

navyhemi

Reaction score
i have a 2020 limited patriot blue with the rambox bed, they are warping also, i live in Key West and have had it a month and i did try to fix it myself but it just warps again, i will wait for a recall before i let the dealer have a go at it.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I'm curious if the new Gen5 2020 Ram's will have the same issues. It would seem likely as I'm sure there weren't any plant or manufacturer changes between 2019 and 2020.
Those with 2020 models, post up and tell us your experiences with the Rambox.
My 2020 built in October 2019 has this issue. It's a simple and clear problem. The lids aren't rigid enough to stay flat when the latch is in the center pulling down. This isn't rocket science. They need to build the lids with some structural ribbing/spars which will prevent this. Someone could use structural adhesive to attach a spar to the inside of the lid (after flattening it, perhaps with heat) and that should also correct the problem.

@RamCares what, if anything, is being done to correct this? Replacing the poorly engineered lids with the same lids isn't going to fix anything.

magic280z

Reaction score
Same problem here. March 2019 build. With the extreme temperature changes right now in the mountains of SC they are warped different each day. Still love them. I'll probably report them at my first oil change and hold off on replacement until new part is hopefully made.

I regretted not getting then on my 4th gen and glad I have them on the 5th. I use them constantly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
i have a 2020 limited patriot blue with the rambox bed, they are warping also, i live in Key West and have had it a month and i did try to fix it myself but it just warps again, i will wait for a recall before i let the dealer have a go at it.
Don't hold your breathe for a recall on the ram box.

magic280z

Reaction score
Don't hold your breathe for a recall on the ram box.
I would suspect this would just be a warranty issue. The question is will FCA automatically extend the warranty once they produce a new part or will it require a class action to become an extended warranty campaign. I had two extended warranty campaigns on my Nissan because of class actions.

Recalls mostly focus on safety issues.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I would suspect this would just be a warranty issue. The question is will FCA automatically extend the warranty once they produce a new part or will it require a class action to become an extended warranty campaign. I had two extended warranty campaigns on my Nissan because of class actions.

Recalls mostly focus on safety issues.

I'm betting on this never being resolved. They don't want to admit there is a widespread problem so they'll play dumb forever.

ww874

Reaction score
I actually love my Ram-boxes and if they are warping I didn't notice it. I bought a truck and although when new it's looks beautiful in the end if you use it like a truck, a slightly misaligned Rambox is a minor issue. Honestly I'd be embarrassed to go back and complain it. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Maconi

Reaction score
If I end up getting Ramboxes and they start warping I'll just get a body shop to rig something custom. It shouldn't be hard to either put a stiff plate inside the lid or fabricate a new shell out of metal (although it obviously isn't free/cheap either, and an expense no one should have to pay).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The rambox lids on my 2020 Laramie are slightly warped. I noticed it when I bought it, but it's a very useful option that I definitely use. Sure, it bothers me a little bit on a brand new truck, but the cosmetic aspect wasn't enough to keep me from buying the truck with this option. My bigger issue with this is my driver side lid allows water to leak inside when I go through the car wash. I need them to stay dry inside. I suspect this warping is the reason it leaks, so I plan to make a trip to the dealer soon for that.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I have noticed they don't align very well and wondered why nobody was complaining, now I see they are. I would be very annoyed and hopefully there will be a solution to this!

Vic

Reaction score
I had a coworker who is considering purchasing a 2019 b/c of huge savings right now, looking very closely at my truck and asking lots of questions. I showed him my warping ramboxes, told him about the a/c issues, and he ended up changing his mind.

Users who are viewing this thread