5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

drifter106

Reaction score
What I have read so far is going to keep me from purchasing a new Ram. I am prepared to purchase a $50,000 to $60,000 truck....Ram Box was a critical option that I will have. This thread has put the brakes on the purchase till this problem is alleviated. I am not prepared to go through the hassle and inconvenience that this WILL bring on.

Thanks to all who have made this problem known....I do hope that truck makers (for the owners sake) resolve this problem in an orderly fashion. Spending that kind of money and having said problems is just not acceptable.

CKSlack

Reaction score
Picked up my 2020 ED Limited 5 days ago and noticed and pointed out to the dealership a few days after picking up the truck that the passenger side RamBox lid is warped. They want me to come in and the regional manger wants to see it, photo is and document it with FCA. I am very happy with the truck and this is the only thing I have found to be an issue that I want fixed. I'll post back when I have more information to report, but so far absolutely loving the truck.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
What I have read so far is going to keep me from purchasing a new Ram. I am prepared to purchase a $50,000 to $60,000 truck....Ram Box was a critical option that I will have. This thread has put the brakes on the purchase till this problem is alleviated. I am not prepared to go through the hassle and inconvenience that this WILL bring on.

Thanks to all who have made this problem known....I do hope that truck makers (for the owners sake) resolve this problem in an orderly fashion. Spending that kind of money and having said problems is just not acceptable.

Plenty of other storage options but to each their own.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Picked up my 2020 ED Limited 5 days ago and noticed and pointed out to the dealership a few days after picking up the truck that the passenger side RamBox lid is warped. They want me to come in and the regional manger wants to see it, photo is and document it with FCA. I am very happy with the truck and this is the only thing I have found to be an issue that I want fixed. I'll post back when I have more information to report, but so far absolutely loving the truck.
Be sure to show them this thread and the others online. They all feign ignorance, which is insulting and dishonest.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score

If you're not buying due to lids that sit 1/4" high on either end...but that don't leak or cause other issues, you were never buying to begin with.

drifter106

Reaction score
If you're not buying due to lids that sit 1/4" high on either end...but that don't leak or cause other issues, you were never buying to begin with.

little do you know....that statement right there sounds like it come out of the swamp. You know NOTHING about my situation as well about my value system. I made a statement of thanks for those people who brought it to the boards attention. Your ploy on stating what I am going to due insofar as purchasing a truck is very rude and juvenile. If you don't like my comment...just move along.

MF2020

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the warning on this. So far ok but we in the dead of Winter here in NYS. I'll be watching this closely as the season changes to spring and summer and the hot weather comes.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
little do you know....that statement right there sounds like it come out of the swamp. You know NOTHING about my situation as well about my value system. I made a statement of thanks for those people who brought it to the boards attention. Your ploy on stating what I am going to due insofar as purchasing a truck is very rude and juvenile. If you don't like my comment...just move along.

Attachments

• eyeroll.jpeg
    eyeroll.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 21

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the warning on this. So far ok but we in the dead of Winter here in NYS. I'll be watching this closely as the season changes to spring and summer and the hot weather comes.
also in NYS...truck built in october...rambox lids are warped. It's not only due to heat. More likely the fact the latch is in the middle and pulls the center allowing the ends to warp up a bit.

MF2020

Reaction score
also in NYS...truck built in october...rambox lids are warped. It's not only due to heat. More likely the fact the latch is in the middle and pulls the center allowing the ends to warp up a bit.
Guess I need to take a closer look at this tomorrow in the light. Again, this forum is great at keeping us all in tune to what is going on with these vehicles. Thank you to all who contribute!

drifter106

Reaction score
Plenty of other storage options but to each their own.

This has nothing to do with "other" storage options. If this happens in the first year of ownership.....what will the "said" problem be in 2 or 3 years time? Its obviously a material problem. This needs to be addressed by the engineers that produce this type of truck. The headache and functionality is not something I am prepared to undergo. The current truck that I own just rolled over 100,000 miles. Either I wait till a successful "fix" is made or buy one with out the Ram Boxes. Patience is a virtue that is beneficial to oneself in so many ways.

Last edited:

CKSlack

Reaction score
My dealership wants me to come back and meet with the regional manager and they want to document and report to FCA. I am hoping this happens in the next day or two. My driver side is NOT warped at all and in perfect condition. The passeneger rambox lid is slightly warped in the front. I am seriously wondering if this is a thermal issue.... it appeared to be more warped when it was down to 15 degrees. Yesterday it was near 40 degrees here in Massachusetts and I took a few photos. It does appear to be less warped, but still warped. I saw an earlier post where someone mentioned maybe its the latch to tight warping it... I tend to disagree with that as it would tend to warp both outer sides. Mine is only warped on the front passenger side.

I'll report back any news I receive from the dealership or FCA.
Stay tuned.

2020 Ram Ecodiesel Limited-6928.jpg

nilsd

Reaction score
My dealership wants me to come back and meet with the regional manager and they want to document and report to FCA. I am hoping this happens in the next day or two. My driver side is NOT warped at all and in perfect condition. The passeneger rambox lid is slightly warped in the front. I am seriously wondering if this is a thermal issue.... it appeared to be more warped when it was down to 15 degrees. Yesterday it was near 40 degrees here in Massachusetts and I took a few photos. It does appear to be less warped, but still warped. I saw an earlier post where someone mentioned maybe its the latch to tight warping it... I tend to disagree with that as it would tend to warp both outer sides. Mine is only warped on the front passenger side.

I'll report back any news I receive from the dealership or FCA.
Stay tuned.

View attachment 42383
FWIW, my boxes can be described EXACTLY the same way - - - drivers side is basically perfect. Passenger side only has an issue in the front, and I've noticed it only getting really bad the past week when it's been under freezing (15-30). Above 40 degrees it starts to look much better (I'm in NJ) ... Interested to see how this plays out.

A friend who works in Closures for Tesla took a close look and noted its odd that there is only one striker, and it's not even perfectly centered on the box (positioned more aft). He found it a very odd design choice and isn't surprised the ends are warping up because the striker is pulling the middle down (off center nonetheless).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Adrianp89

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with "other" storage options. If this happens in the first year of ownership.....what will the "said" problem be in 2 or 3 years time? Its obviously a material problem. This needs to be addressed by the engineers that produce this type of truck. The headache and functionality is not something I am prepared to undergo. The current truck that I own just rolled over 100,000 miles. Either I wait till a successful "fix" is made or buy one with out the Ram Boxes. Patience is a virtue that is beneficial to oneself in so many ways.

The issue is so little I doubt they will make a large fix. Based on the picture above the issue is pretty slight. I understand being picky and want perfection, however they probably in a tight contract with the vendor for several years that this issue may fall in the margin of error and it would cost millions to get out of contract. If you plan to be patient - I would guess it will be at least 3 more years before a change.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
If this happens in the first year of ownership.....what will the "said" problem be in 2 or 3 years time?

Can't really say with confidence, but I think it reaches a certain point and stops. Both of my boxes are slightly warped up but they've not changed a single bit since I first noticed it. Only time will tell, but so far, they aren't bad enough for me to want to get them looked at. They definitely aren't what I'd like, but I can live with them where they are at and they don't seem to be getting any worse.

That being said, I am going to complain the next time I take the truck in just so I've put my marker down for having reported it. I still have a back seat ventilation fan that's gone out. With the holidays, I've just not had time to get it in to get repaired. But the boxes will be on my list of complaints for that day.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
come back and preach when you've actually bought a truck...or not...

nilsd

Reaction score
FWIW, my boxes can be described EXACTLY the same way - - - drivers side is basically perfect. Passenger side only has an issue in the front, and I've noticed it only getting really bad the past week when it's been under freezing (15-30). Above 40 degrees it starts to look much better (I'm in NJ) ... Interested to see how this plays out.

A friend who works in Closures for Tesla took a close look and noted its odd that there is only one striker, and it's not even perfectly centered on the box (positioned more aft). He found it a very odd design choice and isn't surprised the ends are warping up because the striker is pulling the middle down (off center nonetheless).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Brought truck in for service on pedal assembly today and had them look at the ramboxes. As expected said nothing can really be done, but they did manage to do some slight manual adjustment, and now the driver side is actually sitting slightly INSIDE body line. I'd much rather this than sitting outside so at least they are waterproof and I think they're less noticeable as well. My case is in to FCA, so at least it's one more person with the complaint officially logged.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Talked with service manager at dealership and showed him the Rambox a while back. He ordered the shell (is what I call it--- The top piece and frame). He re-used the painted section.
First picture is what it looked like before.
IMG_8098.jpg
He assisted mechanic in installing the frame and took my existing painted section and put back on it. I had told him I wanted to wait until they came out with a fix for it because we both agreed that it would warp again. He wanted to try it. Definitely a big improvement and i didn't have to worry about them not getting paint right or peeling.
I wrapped electrical tape (9-10 rounds - thick) around hook assembley in the box where the latch attaches and it pulled it down level, but had to play with it to get it to open. In other words if I could lower the hook assembly in the box it would be level, but i took the tape back off and this is where it currently sets.
IMG_9417.jpg

MF2020

Reaction score
Talked with service manager at dealership and showed him the Rambox a while back. He ordered the shell (is what I call it--- The top piece and frame). He re-used the painted section.
First picture is what it looked like before.
View attachment 42790
He assisted mechanic in installing the frame and took my existing painted section and put back on it. I had told him I wanted to wait until they came out with a fix for it because we both agreed that it would warp again. He wanted to try it. Definitely a big improvement and i didn't have to worry about them not getting paint right or peeling.
I wrapped electrical tape (9-10 rounds - thick) around hook assembley in the box where the latch attaches and it pulled it down level, but had to play with it to get it to open. In other words if I could lower the hook assembly in the box it would be level, but i took the tape back off and this is where it currently sets.
View attachment 42792
Looks like quite a nice improvement. This 2nd picture is how mine are currently. It is only so very slightly off that it really doesn't bother me. But certainly if they get worse I will address it with the dealer. We will see if they ever come up with a permanent fix for this. On my 2011 Ram with RamBoxes the plastic tops of the lids faded badly to an ash grey color. At least they both did it so it looked somewhat uniform. They eventually fixed that problem in future years and I really never pursued getting mine replaced. But if these warp badly then I will do something about it for sure. All this being said, I still love this truck! I'm not going to get too disturbed about this and now especially since you have shared this fix with us we have at least this remedy. Thanks for the photos!

Users who are viewing this thread