5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate OBD JScan Thread

Hey guys. I’m new here. Looking into Jscan to activate the turn signal and puddle lights on my tow mirrors. 2021 Ram 1500 classic (DS). I see two types of bypass cables I might need. The red Chrysler 3 plug seems pretty common and easy to get, but I think the plugs are behind the radio and I haven’t located them yet. The other one is similar but with (2) 2 pin smaller plugs on the end. These would plug in right behind the headlight panel in the dash. But they seem harder to find for purchase. Would both types work for the bypass cable? I plan to use the Veepeak OBDcheck BLE (no +) from Amazon, Jscan and an IPhone. Any suggestions would be great.

(I’d also like to add that it’s a classic so I really don’t know if I should look for 4th gen or 5th gen when it comes to body parts vs engine and computer modules.)
The red chrysler 3 plug is the one you want. The security bypass unit is behind the speedometer and i hope you have patience or small hands.

Programmed the "Tailgate open" alert on my 2200 Big Horn after installing the correct hardware. Could not have been easier.

Adaption> search for Ajar> Tailgate Ajar Indication.
Change from "Deactivated" to "Activate"

Adaption> search for Ajar> Trunk Ajar Signal Input Present- On/Off
Change from "Deactivated" to "Active"
do you remember what hardware is needed i would like to add that as well

These are all the settings to get a Canadian market ram to have amber turn signals as DRLs, with no white signature lighting:
Adaptations >
DRL Settings > DRL Configuration = No DRL

DRL Settings > DRL Customer Setting On/Off = Active

DRL Settings > DRL Lamp Location = Turn Signal DRL

DRL Settings > DRL Dropout Enable = Deactivated

DRL Settings > Signature Light Present On/Off = Deactivated

Miscellaneous Settings > Country Code = USA

Radio User Settings > Day Time Running Lights Settings On/Off = Active

On another note, there is a misconception with the BCM settings changes process that probably comes from back in the early alfaobd days:
You can make as many changes as you want, one right after another, in the same diagnostic session, and all of the changes will be immediate. There is no need to do one change, disconnect, reconnect, and do another change. It doesn’t matter if the changes are made with the ignition off, in the run position, or with the truck running, either.
The only exception is, any changes that have to do with adding a setting in the radio, those will take some time for the radio to pick up on. You can force those new settings to show up on UC5 radio equipped trucks by rebooting the radio twice in a row (press and hold the power button on the volume knob for 15 seconds until the radio restarts).
Finally got it to work with these settings.

The only thing to add to this is the DRL turn signals only come one when the parking brake is disabled. If you are in park and the brake is engaged it shuts off.
IMG_8298.jpeg

With parking brake ON:
IMG_8297.jpeg

Yeah, that's how it's designed to work
Well I appreciate you chiming in AFTER the fact. That info would have been useful 2 days ago.

To add to this I watched this YouTube video and did not see him disable his parking brake so how was I supposed to know that. Going back and watching this video I see on his cluster no parking brake is enabled

Last edited:
Well I appreciate you chiming in AFTER the fact. That info would have been useful 2 days ago.

To add to this I watched this YouTube video and did not see him disable his parking brake so how was I supposed to know that. Going back and watching this video I see on his cluster no parking brake is enabled

You can enable to disable auto parking brake in settings. Mine was off from factory. I had to enable it. So for most people, it's off by default and they don't look through menus to enable it

I disabled my auto park brake awhile back. Maybe that's why i never noticed. Good to know!

Does anyone know how to disable signature lights indefinitely? The changes I made work during the day when the sun is out but I went for a drive tonight and the signature lights were on and the turn signal ambers were off (returned to stock) NOTE I have the headlight knob set to AUTO

Does anyone know how to disable signature lights indefinitely? The changes I made work during the day when the sun is out but I went for a drive tonight and the signature lights were on and the turn signal ambers were off (returned to stock) NOTE I have the headlight knob set to AUTO
That can’t happen, because the signature lights become the parking lamps whenever the headlights are called for.

I didn’t disable the sig lights, but when the headlights come on, the DRLs are disabled.

Programmed the "Tailgate open" alert on my 2200 Big Horn after installing the correct hardware. Could not have been easier.

Adaption> search for Ajar> Tailgate Ajar Indication.
Change from "Deactivated" to "Activate"

Adaption> search for Ajar> Trunk Ajar Signal Input Present- On/Off
Change from "Deactivated" to "Active"

The red chrysler 3 plug is the one you want. The security bypass unit is behind the speedometer and i hope you have patience or small hands.

Please stop telling everyone with a classic or HD to pull the EVIC to install the (wrong) 12+8 type bypass. You keep doing this on HDRAMS too.

(you're also replying to a very old post)

The classic and HD are best served by using the bypass cable that plugs into the CANBUS-C and CANBUS-IHS blocks that are right behind the headlight switch bezel.

1726179695200.png

Please stop telling everyone with a classic or HD to pull the EVIC to install the (wrong) 12+8 type bypass. You keep doing this on HDRAMS too.

(you're also replying to a very old post)

The classic and HD are best served by using the bypass cable that plugs into the CANBUS-C and CANBUS-IHS blocks that are right behind the headlight switch bezel.

View attachment 189672

Just tried to help a local guy who put new tires on his 24 2500. I was just using my TazerDT since I already had it. It's not too difficult to pull the cluster, but definitely better to just buy the other style harness designed for them.

But I couldn't get the tire size anywhere close to his 34" tire diameter without the truck going into fits and throwing abs, traction, control, 4wd, and check engine lightsz and no speedometer. And then it was a fight to get them to clear. Took three hours of back and forth. Finally got it to stop throwing codes, but pretty sure he ended up with a smaller diameter tire programmed in. I was just happy to get the lights and war jnfs to clear so he could drive home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back