5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect/CarPlay Problems

jman307

Reaction score
More than likely, it’s the USB media hub, mine did this for the first year and a half (since new). Turned out to be the cable not seated correctly (at the factory, since it came like this when I bought it new). Dealer reseated cable and it’s been good for almost a year and a half w/o issues. (See my other post #57 on this thread).
If you're not able to get a media connection but still charge the battery or both are intermittent or don't work, I just had my front USB module replaced and it works as it should now! My media connection was intermittent for years and then finally just went out completely a few weeks ago. Took to the dealer, quick troubleshoot and ordered the part and a week later today all is well.

jman307

Reaction score
UPDATE: I've tried factory resetting my phone (erasing all content and settings) and then activating it as if it were a new phone (no reinstalled backup) and still no carplay. Also I tried using a friend's iphone 12 that was running a few updates old version of IOS and it worked just fine. Wondering if its a problem with IOS 14.5...
If you're not able to get a media connection but still charge the battery or both are intermittent or don't work, I just had my front USB module replaced and it works as it should now! My media connection was intermittent for years and then finally just went out completely a few weeks ago. Took to the dealer, quick troubleshoot and ordered the part and a week later today all is well.

stalkerish

Reaction score
To those of you that had the dealer replace the media hub, what steps did you take the dealer to resolve this issue? They have already replaced my radio but refuse to go any farther stating it is a software issue that I must wait for. Its been well over a month with this pop up. I have not been pleased with the dealer experience thus far. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
To those of you that had the dealer replace the media hub, what steps did you take the dealer to resolve this issue? They have already replaced my radio but refuse to go any farther stating it is a software issue that I must wait for. Its been well over a month with this pop up. I have not been pleased with the dealer experience thus far. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
@RamCares

stalkerish

Reaction score
Just as an update for anyone still having this issue. Had my radio replaced. Same problem. Not much assistance from @RamCares after the truck was at the dealer. Still waiting on a phonecall from them since Monday.... HOWEVER, i "believe" i have figured out a way to fix it. It is definitely the media hub in my case. I took a few mins really cleaned the ports and voila. It hasnt given me any issues. Not sure how long it will last, but fixed it for the time being.

TOAST3094

Reaction score
So the dealer replaced my media hub and sadly the issue persisted. still wouldn't connect to carplay or even charge consistently when plugged in. Others iphone 12s worked just fine but mine wouldn't.

Took it to Apple yesterday and they showed that there was actually a hardware malfunction in my iphone and they're going to replace it under warranty. Now I just have to wait on the new phone to see if i have any more problems. I think im the first person to have this issue that it actually wasn't the truck! ...well presumably. I'll update once the new phone is in.

zucchinilegs

Reaction score
Having the same issue - charges but has not allowed me to open CarPlay in a few weeks now. any update on this? Is the consensus that the media hub needs to be replaced? @RamCares can you help out???

Barqs

Reaction score
Having the same issue - charges but has not allowed me to open CarPlay in a few weeks now. any update on this? Is the consensus that the media hub needs to be replaced? @RamCares can you help out???
What iOS are you running now? When they first released iOS 15 it caused CarPlay issues for some people. The timeframe would match up with your issues. If you are at iOS 15 try to update to 15.1 and see if that helps.

Tdb94tim

Reaction score
Try pulling the radio fuse and let the radio reboot from scratch. If that doesn't do it...try another iPhone just to be 100% sure and then make an appointment with your dealer.
Do u know what number the radio fuse is on 21 ram 1500 uconnect 4 and is it under the dash or the hood??

Tdb94tim

Reaction score
So I recently began having the same issue on my 5 mo. old truck. When I plug my iphone 12 into the USB the charging starts and stops every few seconds but never fully connects. I know the cable works fine cause I've tested it at home and in my other vehicle. Another odd thing is that if I plug in my android, then android auto pulls up just fine. So I imagine there's a disconnect somehow with apple devices and CarPlay.
Me too, same phone same exact issue!! So frustrating on a 3 month old 70k truck

TRAM1900FL

Reaction score
Well my media hub went bad again already replaced once now I am out of warranty. Anyone know if this is a known issue that can be replaced after warranty no charge or I have to pay now?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my media hub went bad again already replaced once now I am out of warranty. Anyone know if this is a known issue that can be replaced after warranty no charge or I have to pay now?
Just do it yourself, there about $35-40 shipped on ebay.

Barqs

Reaction score
When did they replace it last time? I was told the replacement parts carried their own warranty and you may still be able to get it replaced under the parts warranty even if your truck is no longer in the 3/36 coverage. Worth at least calling the dealership to ask.

Airbearmd

Reaction score
A week ago I purchased a new 2019 RAM quad cab (traded in my 2015 RT Charger which I loved). A must option was the 12.5" screen with complete UConnect and CarPlay. For the first two days, CarPlay worked, as I was able to use my Waze app as a navigation device (worked on screen, through the speakers). Connectivity was fine. The bluetooth for hands free calling, however, was not. After the first day, I started hearing a loud popping noise everytime I ended a call and the hands free feature disconnected. I can only make one call, the first time when I start up the vehicle, then afterwards, it does not work. In addition, CarPlay is now missing. I plug in the lightning cable to any of the USB ports, and nothing but a charging of the cell phone. I have an Apple iPhone 8 plus. The dealer said Uconnect was having iphone issues and it is a software update problem and I should try using an Android. I did, and it was unsuccessful. I took it in for service on Monday, and the dealer claimed is worked once for them, but the software update would not be out until the 4th quarter of 2019. That is nine months from now! I called US Customer Care and put in a complaint (the service dept at the dealer told me to do this as they believe enough calls would speed up the software updates). I did, and followed up with an email yesterday. I got a return email last night from FCA and they said thank you and your case is now closed. Really? I sent another email this morning, waiting to hear back. I have tried resetting the phone and Uconnect - but no success. Has anyone else had this problem? I could really use some help. Thank you.
I purchased my 2019 RAM Limited new with that Uconnect option. I had all kinds of weird problems associated with it, but take heart after several firmware/software upgrades everything works perfectly! The dealer will tell you that those are pushed via satellite como.. Maybe some are, but I insisted that the dealer perform the upgrades several different times as I discovered RAM released different versions.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
If port 3 behind the center console works for CarPlay but the 4 ports beneath the radio do not work for CarPlay, should I just be able to replace the media hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online