5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

RubyRam

Reaction score
2020 Ram Limited that I’ve owned for 2 months just had its first radio event. Sirius won’t load and volume locked silent for all other music sources. The horror stories above have me terrified knowing the dealer won’t have a clue. Makes it more disturbing that the RAM Monitor will not comment on this issue.

RubyRam

Reaction score
The buttons on the screen, not the hard ones next to it. I was typing my answer out as you typed yours so figured I'd piggyback on it.
Sooty, I still don’t understand what buttons you are referring to.

RubyRam

Reaction score
So this issue appears to be related to Sirius for me. If I leave the FM radio on when I shut my truck down, everything works fine when I start back up. If I leave the radio on Sirius, I’m seeing this issue about 25% of the time.

Today, I had the Sirius loading failure, restarted the truck with FM on and it was working fine. Then, I clicked on XM again and locked up the sound... couldn’t get FM to come back on again. So just the action of switching to XM recreated the issue.

For what it’s worth, I almost always use Pandora on XM. So maybe it has to do with the Pandora use and insufficient signal on startup? Ill try verify.

On a related note, is there any way to “reset” the radio if an error is encountered? Hitting the Power button very obviously does not completely power the unit off.
I almost always use Pandora also and had my first issue yesterday.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
I'll jump in as also having this issue. Sirius Xm loading....and then locks the system if you try switching to FM...volume also is stuck on whatever you left it at but no sound! Brand new PowerWagon less that 500 miles and having radio issue. Kind of disheartening spending $70k on a truck with an upgraded screen and Harmon Kardon sound system only to have to listen to music through a portable blue tooth speaker! Took it to the dealer, service manager saw the issue as I pulled up but of course when they had it for 2 days couldn't replicate.... And of course has never heard of issue before. Service advisor was actually really sympathetic and really wants to help but just doesn't know what the issue is. How is it with all the complaints FCA has not responded?

CMENT

Reaction score
I' How is it with all the complaints FCA has not responded?

My theory is they are hoping to find a OTA way to fix the firmware/software and not have to replace the $1900 radios. The current TSB calls for them to replace the radio if they cannot fix the issue with a update to the system.
This is completely BS and I have 2 cases regarding this issue open with Ram and one with uConnect. (Ram told me this is uConnects problem and I would have to deal with them directly since they are a “separate” company. Lol. )
I have received one call from uConnect last week and they told me they would call me back be end of last week. Never happened.
New radio is supposed to be shipping on the 17th (at the earliest per the dealer), but I have no hope for that.
This is my 5th FCA vehicle in 12 years and my last. I will also be looking for a new dealer to service the truck before I trade it in on a new F150 or the new Tundra (whenever that may actually hit the show room.)

My truck was one of the first off the line in early 2018 and I took delivery of it on May 1st 2018. This is the first issue I have had with the truck, but it is a major issue since I basically live and work in it. Not being able to use the hands free phone option is not only frustrating, but a safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CMENT

Reaction score
2020 Limited with the message “loading” ALL DAY! The dealer kept the truck overnight and couldn’t find a problem. This morning, the radio is working. This is the second time the 12” locked up since I picked up the truck 5 days ago. Any predictions? Am I looking at a fight to replace the hardware?

Unfortunately, replacing the hardware is the only “fix” right now. My question is the OTA update that caused the problem still live? If so, wouldn’t that brick the replacement hardware as well?

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Unfortunately, replacing the hardware is the only “fix” right now. My question is the OTA update that caused the problem still live? If so, wouldn’t that brick the replacement hardware as well?

My replacement hardware was given back to me with the latest software already installed. Now I'm gun-shy regarding any OTA. Instead of looking forward to new features and updates, I will question installing it. And that feeling sucks having spent thousands on a new truck.

Maxthenight

Reaction score
So I have the same problem use s.Xm and locks up no volume and won’t let you get back to fm. Dealer says bring it in and leave it with us 😩I’ve had it 8 days this is the second time in 400 miles. I will not take it in and leave it because they don’t seem to know what to do. I think the best thing for now is to not use xm file a claim with FCA and see what they come up with. I can’t believe that this problem is still on going.

Reaction score
OP here, my truck was at the dealer for a week in the middle of August until they finally told me they had to order a new radio. 4 months later and I haven't heard a thing, called the beginning of this week, they said they would check on it and get back to me, haven't heard from them.
Honestly as soon as I had an issue and read that there wasn't really a fix I knew taking it to the dealer would be a waste of my time. It's a shame, awesome truck, amazing screen, can't use it to its full potential. I wish someone read these forums and gave a **** their product!

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, I didn’t have my truck for 3 months when the software update screwed my system up. I’ve basically been fighting with my dealer for 4 months to get this crap fixed. Found out today that the reason it’s taking so long to get a replacement radio is that STAR doesnt want new units installed in the affected vehicles and their are no refurbs available. Are you F&($ing kidding me, a basically brand new truck and they won’t put new parts in it? I was so mad I couldn’t see straight, called Ram (doesn’t) CARE and my case manager wasn’t available but they promised me he’d call me back. Guess what........he didn’t call me back. This is beyond ridiculous at this point!

CMENT

Reaction score
I agree, I didn’t have my truck for 3 months when the software update screwed my system up. I’ve basically been fighting with my dealer for 4 months to get this crap fixed. Found out today that the reason it’s taking so long to get a replacement radio is that STAR doesnt want new units installed in the affected vehicles and their are no refurbs available. Are you F&($ing kidding me, a basically brand new truck and they won’t put new parts in it? I was so mad I couldn’t see straight, called Ram (doesn’t) CARE and my case manager wasn’t available but they promised me he’d call me back. Guess what........he didn’t call me back. This is beyond ridiculous at this point!

Update: Supposedly my “new” unit is scheduled to ship by end of month per uCanNotConnect rep. This is a disaster in the making. Any attorneys out there for a class action effort? There must be over 100k trucks affected by now.

Colemanator

Reaction score
I've had my truck for a couple months now and this just started happening. Siriusxm says loading and never does, FM Radio, Aux, Apple Carplay doesn't play any sound and when I turn the volume knob the volume indicator doesn't move up or down. Anyone have this issue? Not sure what I should do, reset?
I’m having same issue. Could be coincidence, but it seemed to coincide with the expiration of my SiriusXM free trial. Only success I’ve had in fixing issue is restarting the truck. Typically have to leave it off for a few minutes. A hardware replacement seems excessive. It really seems like an issue connecting with satellite radio that’s hanging it up.

Colemanator

Reaction score
Looks like this for reference.

Attachments

• B9415CA2-279D-41C7-9978-7E2FDA6F2862.jpeg
    B9415CA2-279D-41C7-9978-7E2FDA6F2862.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 35

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: Supposedly my “new” unit is scheduled to ship by end of month per uCanNotConnect rep. This is a disaster in the making. Any attorneys out there for a class action effort? There must be over 100k trucks affected by now.

Don’t hold your breath on that one, I’ve been waiting on a radio for 3 months with BS eta‘s that never come to fruition.

RubyRam

Reaction score
Took mine in for the issue. The tech told me they pulled the software upgrade because it wasn’t working. No fix currently in the system. They told me to check back each quarter.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There really should be a class action lawsuit on this. Having a new truck under full factory warranty that does not operate correctly and customers are told there is no fix, and we own, operate and pay for said truck for MONTHS with no repair has to qualify. I’m going on 4 months with a broken truck and there is zero light at the end of the tunnel, that’s Fing unacceptable.

CMENT

Reaction score
Don’t hold your breath on that one, I’ve been waiting on a radio for 3 months with BS eta‘s that never come to fruition.

I feel bad for this update, but my new radio is at the dealer per UConnect. Took about a month. They will still f!!! this up somehow I am sure. Will keep you posted.

CMENT

Reaction score
Took mine in for the issue. The tech told me they pulled the software upgrade because it wasn’t working. No fix currently in the system. They told me to check back each quarter.

Each quarter? As in every three months? Truly unbelievable.

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
Each quarter? As in every three months? Truly unbelievable.

I've only seen this issue 2-3 times in the 1,100 miles I've put on the truck, but that is enough. It happened yesterday and the awkward silence driving home was unbearable.

Taking it to the dealer on Thursday to look at it, will update the thread accordingly. Tech on the phone said they need to look at SW/HW #s and decide if SW update or new radio HW is required. Judging by thread above I'm not too optimistic...

Colemanator

Reaction score
A few observations on this issue.
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 12" screen (purchased 10/2019)

- First time this happened 10/2020.
- Seemed to coincide with expiration of Sirius XM services (free promotion at purchase)
- Sirius was "renewed", but not full package. Guardian package not renewed
- I realize there was a Uconnect update around the same time frame.
- When it happened last, I continued to turn off truck and restart, waiting different lengths of time.
- Radio finally "connected" and began working after turning truck off and allowing to sit for 3 minutes.

This will not fix the issue, but may provide some assistance until they come up with a fix. IMO, it seems like an issue with the vehicle trying to connect with Sirius. It fails to connect and kind of locks up the system. Quick restarts of the vehicle do not seem to clear the error from the radio. After seeing the error, turning the vehicle OFF, open/close door to shut off system, wait minimum of 3 minutes and restart vehicle.

I'd be interested to see if this works for you all.

If it's a Uconnect update issue, that seems to be software. Hard for me to see how replacing the radio would help. Create a new update that looks like the previous version and push it out to vehicles. If they want to replace a radio, that seems like a hardware or antenna issue. Hard to believe all this stuff would start happening at the same time frame if it were hardware malfunction.

Users who are viewing this thread