5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

KNight2020

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Ram Laramie with the 12" in August. Been having all these exact issues ever since. Brought to the dealer and got the screen replaced (not sure why they thought that would fix it) and then after not working the very next morning, returned to the dealer to give my truck up for two weeks. I was then called and told they did a few things and it seems to be working. Picked it up with no explanation of what work was done only for the issue to arise again 2 days later. Just opened a case with Uconnect but not really sure what to do next. I absolutely love every thing about this truck, but this almost completely turns me off of Ram. What else can be done? I have an appointment with another dealer Dec. 16th, but after reading this thread, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

gtxdana

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2020 Laramie-XM won't load and no sound/volume locked on FM. Also when changing stations on FM, using the buttons on the steering wheel for the first time after starting, it will cycle through all 12 presets, after that, it will cycle from stations 1-7, then on the next push of the button, goes back to station 4 and then cycles to 7, then back to 4, and so on. Of course the XM was working today when I took it to the dealer, and of course, no problem found with the FM part. They opened a Star case and want me to bring my truck back and leave it there for days on end.

Between the junk Bridgestone tires, which I had to pay the tire store to balance and verify which tires were bad, and then have the dealer still refuse to do anything about them at 100 miles, and now this ongoing radio issue at 3000 miles, which they have no fix for, I'm getting pretty disgusted with FCA.

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
A few observations on this issue.
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 12" screen (purchased 10/2019)

- First time this happened 10/2020.
- Seemed to coincide with expiration of Sirius XM services (free promotion at purchase)
- Sirius was "renewed", but not full package. Guardian package not renewed
- I realize there was a Uconnect update around the same time frame.
- When it happened last, I continued to turn off truck and restart, waiting different lengths of time.
- Radio finally "connected" and began working after turning truck off and allowing to sit for 3 minutes.

This will not fix the issue, but may provide some assistance until they come up with a fix. IMO, it seems like an issue with the vehicle trying to connect with Sirius. It fails to connect and kind of locks up the system. Quick restarts of the vehicle do not seem to clear the error from the radio. After seeing the error, turning the vehicle OFF, open/close door to shut off system, wait minimum of 3 minutes and restart vehicle.

I'd be interested to see if this works for you all.

If it's a Uconnect update issue, that seems to be software. Hard for me to see how replacing the radio would help. Create a new update that looks like the previous version and push it out to vehicles. If they want to replace a radio, that seems like a hardware or antenna issue. Hard to believe all this stuff would start happening at the same time frame if it were hardware malfunction.

- Seemed to coincide with expiration of Sirius XM services (free promotion at purchase)
- When it happened last, I continued to turn off truck and restart, waiting different lengths of time.
- Radio finally "connected" and began working after turning truck off and allowing to sit for 3 minutes.

This will not fix the issue, but may provide some assistance until they come up with a fix. IMO, it seems like an issue with the vehicle trying to connect with Sirius. It fails to connect and kind of locks up the system. Quick restarts of the vehicle do not seem to clear the error from the radio. After seeing the error, turning the vehicle OFF, open/close door to shut off system, wait minimum of 3 minutes and restart vehicle.

If it's a Uconnect update issue, that seems to be software. Hard for me to see how replacing the radio would help. Create a new update that looks like the previous version and push it out to vehicles. If they want to replace a radio, that seems like a hardware or antenna issue. Hard to believe all this stuff would start happening at the same time frame if it were hardware malfunction.

I have three screaming kids in the car and this is all I get for $70k.

Attachments

• 20201205_105713.jpg
    20201205_105713.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man I am really sorry to see / read about all of these 12” screen problems with no solution in sight. I haven’t really looked, but is it safe to assume you can’t get a Limited minus this screen ? :(

CMENT

Reaction score
Update: had the new unit installed this past Wednesday and it is working fine so far. The install took about 40 minutes, but spent another hour trying to switch my SiriusXM account over to the new unit. It was a PITA. I will check what software it is running. Have yet to attack switching the ATT hotspot over. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
Update: I took my '19 Laramie Longhorn in last week and they opened a case with Chrysler engineering. The technician couldn't replicate the issue but engineering admitted to him that there was a problem they are aware of with some of the radios, which they believe is related to SiriusXM. There is no SW update at this time, the only solution is to replace the radio. They took the S/N of my radio, gave my truck back, and it happened again. When I called again to tell them they asked me some questions and said that since everything else works except SiriusXM and all audio (steering wheel controls, hard buttons, screen flips, etc.) they said they would follow up with Chrysler and order me a new radio. Will update when the replacement is installed.

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
How did y'all go about opening a case with FCA?
The technician at my local dealership opened the case and spoke directly with FCA engineering. The technician/dealership didn't know about the problem, but FCA engineering acknowledged it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you that have gotten their radios replaced. Has anyone had trouble getting the Sirius xm from your previous subscription to get reprogrammed to the new radio? I’ve been fighting all day with Sirius and wasted so much of my time and they can’t seem to get this figured out. They keep asking me for a radio ID which I cannot find on the radio so they can program it. I gave them the HU ID, radio serial # , but those aren’t the supposed radio ID. They keep telling me that on channel 0 on Sirius it should display my radio ID but I don’t even have a channel 0 on Sirius. So mad right now! Over an hour on the phone, 4 different individuals that barely speak English and I have accomplished nothing!

CMENT

Reaction score
Update: I took my '19 Laramie Longhorn in last week and they opened a case with Chrysler engineering. The technician couldn't replicate the issue but engineering admitted to him that there was a problem they are aware of with some of the radios, which they believe is related to SiriusXM. There is no SW update at this time, the only solution is to replace the radio. They took the S/N of my radio, gave my truck back, and it happened again. When I called again to tell them they asked me some questions and said that since everything else works except SiriusXM and all audio (steering wheel controls, hard buttons, screen flips, etc.) they said they would follow up with Chrysler and order me a new radio. Will update when the replacement is installed.
Call FCA and open a case and request they connect you with corporate uConnect and open a case with them also. The shady stuff FCA is doing is shameful.

CMENT

Reaction score
For those of you that have gotten their radios replaced. Has anyone had trouble getting the Sirius xm from your previous subscription to get reprogrammed to the new radio? I’ve been fighting all day with Sirius and wasted so much of my time and they can’t seem to get this figured out. They keep asking me for a radio ID which I cannot find on the radio so they can program it. I gave them the HU ID, radio serial # , but those aren’t the supposed radio ID. They keep telling me that on channel 0 on Sirius it should display my radio ID but I don’t even have a channel 0 on Sirius. So mad right now! Over an hour on the phone, 4 different individuals that barely speak English and I have accomplished nothing!

Go into the SiriusXM settings and scroll all the way to the bottom. You should see something like account info. Click that and the radio ID should be there. Even with the radio ID in hand, I had major issues transferring the account. It was very painful.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go into the SiriusXM settings and scroll all the way to the bottom. You should see something like account info. Click that and the radio ID should be there. Even with the radio ID in hand, I had major issues transferring the account. It was very painful.

Thanks a bunch, they could not tell me where to go to give them what they needed. All is good and everything is working now, of course after another hour on the phone speaking to people whose 1st language is not English!

rayadamjr

Reaction score
Not that I wanted this to be my very 1st post , but like the OP , exact issue I experienced today . torture to be with complete silence watching the sirius trying to connect. My truck is 2 weeks old with 500 miles . Hope there's a solution in the near future. Think at this point running to the dealer will solve anything permanent.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well to follow up on this disaster, after 4 + months and multiple trips to the dealership I finally got my radio replaced and it’s been 5 days and it hasn’t malfunctioned once. Thank the lord!

Adventurebound

Reaction score
So just got back from the dealer...for the third time. This time they called Chrysler and the dealer was told their is a star case for this issue. They were told to not replace the radio at this time because a software update to fix this issue is to be released in the next couple of weeks, towards the end of the year. Will update the thread when I hear back....

gtxdana

Reaction score
As a follow up to my ongoing radio issue. I took my truck back in the next day and left it running while the radio was acting up so the tech could diagnose the issue. They did verify the problem with XM and the issue when changing the radio stations. Several U10XX can communication codes were stored.

They told me a Star case was opened up and I would need to leave my truck for an extended period of time (30 days) for them to work on it. They said they would find me a loaner to drive while they worked on it. Two and one-half weeks later.....crickets. Same as the tire issue: @RamCares FCA doesn't care.

Hopefully it's a software issue-if I leave the radio tuned to FM when I shut off the truck, it seems to work okay the next time I start the truck, except for the issue when changing stations. Whenever I tune to XM, there's a 50/50 chance of the radio locking up. The only way to get it working again is to stop the truck and shut it off for a few minutes.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a follow up to my ongoing radio issue. I took my truck back in the next day and left it running while the radio was acting up so the tech could diagnose the issue. They did verify the problem with XM and the issue when changing the radio stations. Several U10XX can communication codes were stored.

They told me a Star case was opened up and I would need to leave my truck for an extended period of time (30 days) for them to work on it. They said they would find me a loaner to drive while they worked on it. Two and one-half weeks later.....crickets. Same as the tire issue: @RamCares FCA doesn't care.

Hopefully it's a software issue-if I leave the radio tuned to FM when I shut off the truck, it seems to work okay the next time I start the truck, except for the issue when changing stations. Whenever I tune to XM, there's a 50/50 chance of the radio locking up. The only way to get it working again is to stop the truck and shut it off for a few minutes.

They didn't give you a loaner vehicle and it has been 2.5 weeks? Man that would make me mad...

gtxdana

Reaction score
They didn't give you a loaner vehicle and it has been 2.5 weeks? Man that would make me mad...
They had no loaner to drive so I didn't leave the truck. Still waiting for the loaner. Obviously they don't want to work on it. I'm not thrilled about leaving my truck on their lot for weeks on end while they ignore it. I spent many years working at a dealership so I've seen first hand what can happen to a vehicle that sits on a crowded lot for days on end.

CMENT

Reaction score

FCA has said an OTA update will becoming months back. I don’t believe it at this point. My “new” radio in my 2019 is working correctly, but I am scared to hell of the next forced OTA update. Call FCA and UConnect and tell them this a known problem and demand a new unit.

capecodcaper

Reaction score
I've had this same issue with my 2020 RAM 2500 with 12" screen.

It's definitely tied to sxm because it only happens when I toggle sxm and it goes to infinite loading.

Quick fix is pull the ECU fuse and put it back. I keep pliers in the truck just for this. Turning the truck off and on doesn't work for me 90% of the time.

My dealer said to schedule and appointment so they could confirm the issue, but it's intermittent so how the hell can I schedule that? It's driving me batty

Users who are viewing this thread