5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

jabberwock

Reaction score
Yep, I'm a lucky winner as well and am getting this issue. It's also intermittent but the frequency is increasing. Ram Cares online chat was not helpful. I will hopefully take it to the dealership next week. FWIW, it looks like I am running the most up to date version of the software. I am pessimistic a radio swap will solve the problem but we'll see.

Colemanator

Reaction score
I've had this same issue with my 2020 RAM 2500 with 12" screen.

It's definitely tied to sxm because it only happens when I toggle sxm and it goes to infinite loading.

Quick fix is pull the ECU fuse and put it back. I keep pliers in the truck just for this. Turning the truck off and on doesn't work for me 90% of the time.

My dealer said to schedule and appointment so they could confirm the issue, but it's intermittent so how the hell can I schedule that? It's driving me batty
I've had restarting the vehicle, but it requires leaving it off for a few minutes. It's almost like the radio unit keeps some memory and doesnt fully reboot for a few minutes.

Colemanator

Reaction score
Yep, I'm a lucky winner as well and am getting this issue. It's also intermittent but the frequency is increasing. Ram Cares online chat was not helpful. I will hopefully take it to the dealership next week. FWIW, it looks like I am running the most up to date version of the software. I am pessimistic a radio swap will solve the problem but we'll see.
I think a radio swap would work, but only because it has a previous version of the software running on it. This has to be a software issue. I drove my truck for 1 year with never a problem. As soon as this latest update came out, the problem began happening. Some people have newer vehicles than mine and have issue, so it seems unlikely that hardware is the culprit.

CMENT

Reaction score
I think a radio swap would work, but only because it has a previous version of the software running on it. This has to be a software issue. I drove my truck for 1 year with never a problem. As soon as this latest update came out, the problem began happening. Some people have newer vehicles than mine and have issue, so it seems unlikely that hardware is the culprit.

It’s been about 4 weeks with the new radio and I have not had a problem. Still don’t trust the OTA updates, but hopefully they will leave it be. I am scared to death once the UConnect 5 units start going into new units. We may be left in the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been about 4 weeks with the new radio and I have not had a problem. Still don’t trust the OTA updates, but hopefully they will leave it be. I am scared to death once the UConnect 5 units start going into new units. We may be left in the dust.

Same for me, I’ve had my new replacement radio for 3 weeks now and after 4-5 months of problems I have not had a single hiccup.

jabberwock

Reaction score
It seems strange to me that a radio swap will solve what appears to be a software problem.
For those whom the radio swap worked --
what hardware part number and software version number are y'all running?
FWIW -- I am having issues with the following
Hardware #: CNSC29N3GL
Software vers: 20.04.19

gtxdana

Reaction score
It's getting close to a month since I had my Ram at the dealer for this radio issue. Still waiting on a call back for a loaner to drive while they diagnose the truck. Obviously they have no intention of addressing this issue since FCA doesn't want to spend the money to replace the radio.

I called FCA today and they have no information on my Star case and were of absolutely no help at all. I was told I could rent a vehicle, on my own dime, while the truck rots at the dealer and that possibly FCA might pay for a low end rental.

My options are if I want the radio replaced, I would need pay for the radio myself. Pretty much the same response I got about the vibration from the junk Bridgestone tires on my truck. If I want the vibration repaired, I would need to pay for the tires myself-and this was when the truck with less than 100 miles on it.

I'm not at all happy about having to pay thousands of dollars to repair a 60K truck with only 3K miles on it. Like I said before- @RamCares and FCA doesn't care.

jabberwock

Reaction score
Dealer looked at the radio today. Feedback as follows:
They were able to replicate the problem
Did a dealer only "hard reset" on the radio
Confirmed that I'm running the most up to date version number. Opened a STAR case -- STAR said they are aware of the issue and said that they are working on an update that should be "available next quarter". Did not recommend a radio replacement.
Said that "power cycling" the radio power button - i.e. pressing it twice, should reset the dimmer settings between the radio and display to get it to work again as a short term fix.

--

Based on the forum feedback it sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath on the software update front. The pressing the power button twice on the radio has never worked for me before so I find that feedback curious. Hopefully, the hard reset will solve the problem for at least a little while.

Sounds like I should be escalating with STAR for a radio replacement.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Confirmed that I'm running the most up to date version number. Opened a STAR case -- STAR said they are aware of the issue and said that they are working on an update that should be "available next quarter". Did not recommend a radio replacement.
Said that "power cycling" the radio power button - i.e. pressing it twice, should reset the dimmer settings between the radio and display to get it to work again as a short term fix.

--

Based on the forum feedback it sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath on the software update front. The pressing the power button twice on the radio has never worked for me before so I find that feedback curious. Hopefully, the hard reset will solve the problem for at least a little while.

Is there any way for the driver to hard reset the radio, other than pull a fuse? The power button when pressed or held down for an extended period clearly doesn’t restart the SW. curious if you learned a new trick for an actual “hard reset”

CMENT

Reaction score

--

Yes. Escalate the issue. Open FCA tickets and make sure one is with UConnect directly.

gtxdana

Reaction score
Yes. Escalate the issue. Open FCA tickets and make sure one is with UConnect directly.

FCA pretty much told me to f off but I could buy my own radio if I wanted it fixed.......on a 2020 model with 3K miles, no less. Uconnect kicked me over to Sirius to waste my time. When I called back, they suggested I take it to another dealer. My dealer said they opened a Star case on my truck. FCA says no case opened. Nothing but the runaround trying to get this radio repaired.

CMENT

Reaction score
FCA pretty much told me to f off but I could buy my own radio if I wanted it fixed.......on a 2020 model with 3K miles, no less. Uconnect kicked me over to Sirius to waste my time. When I called back, they suggested I take it to another dealer. My dealer said they opened a Star case on my truck. FCA says no case opened. Nothing but the runaround trying to get this radio repaired.

It took me about 5 hours on the phone. There is a TSB on the issue. I kept telling asking , “how did I break the radio?” They are the ones that installed the radio and they are the ones sending OTA updates that are causing issues. Just keep at or contact a Lemmon law lawyer to help you out.
(Btw- mine was a 2019 Limited 1500 model with an early May 2018 delivery date and I got a new radio for $100 due to my extended warranty but I had to fight with FCA and UConnect to get it). Total BS. Good luck.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s so freaking pathetic that an automaker can advertise all this great new tech that’s in these new trucks but the coordination to fix it when something goes wrong is a circus. Almost every Ram commercial shows a clip of the 12” radio as their starship technology and to think there are so many people out there experiencing problems that aren’t getting fixed is sad. I literally drove my truck for 4 1/2 months with a faulty radio before it was fixed.

Then there’s the AC which has been a problem for almost 2 years and they just now came out with a fix for it after telling everyone that their AC was performing within specs.

rayadamjr

Reaction score
Strangely , 1st half of December 50/50 with issue then for 2 straight weeks after not having any issues , it returned this morning .. frozen screen .. left truck for 20 minutes , came back .. heard audio but totally black screen .. hoping software fixes all of this .. yes , this was one of my reasons for getting this truck .. thing has a mind of it’s own

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine had the same issues too, I tried all the resets and it still came back about every 6-7 days then resolved itself and and worked for the same amount of time.
About 2 months ago I tried to update the Nav and did the USB backup, ever since then my uconnect 12" has been perfect. Don't know what if anything that did but I haven't had a single issue since whereas previously it locked up on loading sirius every 6-7 days

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Not going to suger coat it looks like if your having this issue your screwed. I've been going back and forth with the dealer for months and Chrysler has told them they will not replace the effected radios. They are waiting on a software update that they hope will fix this. They have no ETA on this so assuming it's waaaay on the back burner for them. Chrysler says....thanks for purchasing our $70k....too bad so sad I forgot to mention the radio has known issues and we aren't going to fix it..... First time Chrysler owner and I heard horror storys of Chrysler's warranties but man this is worse than I thought it would be.

Irishbuc40

Reaction score
Just bought this $70k truck 5 days ago and I'm having the exact same issue! Sure wish I'd of stumbled across this post while I was researching. Sad that ut seems there is no resolution. Guess I'll be calling my dealer this morning and playing the games!

gtxdana

Reaction score
Just bought this $70k truck 5 days ago and I'm having the exact same issue! Sure wish I'd of stumbled across this post while I was researching. Sad that ut seems there is no resolution. Guess I'll be calling my dealer this morning and playing the games!
Good luck! My dealer won't even respond to text messages now.

Users who are viewing this thread