5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

aman

Reaction score
I've had my truck for a couple months now and this just started happening. Siriusxm says loading and never does, FM Radio, Aux, Apple Carplay doesn't play any sound and when I turn the volume knob the volume indicator doesn't move up or down. Anyone have this issue? Not sure what I should do, reset?
I have had my 2020 3500 Laramie for two months now and it is doing the same thing. not happy

LloydsRam1500

Reaction score
I have had my 2020 3500 Laramie for two months now and it is doing the same thing. not happy
I am having the same problem. Bought my Ram limited 1500 with the HK sound system three months ago. About every 5-10 starts the system locks up with SeriusXm eternally loading and no sound from any source including phone audio over speakers. Turning off the engine and waiting at least 90 seconds will often fix the problem (after a few attempts each time). I have recorded this behavior on my iPhone and have an appointment with service this week. I have read other owners complaints about this on other threads. Seems it’s a software update issue and may get patched in the future.

CMENT

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Bought my Ram limited 1500 with the HK sound system three months ago. About every 5-10 starts the system locks up with SeriusXm eternally loading and no sound from any source including phone audio over speakers. Turning off the engine and waiting at least 90 seconds will often fix the problem (after a few attempts each time). I have recorded this behavior on my iPhone and have an appointment with service this week. I have read other owners complaints about this on other threads. Seems it’s a software update issue and may get patched in the future.

“Future” In FCA terms, means never. This issue started in June and they have been promising an update since then. FCA is focused on UC5 and nothing else. Good luck and yell and don’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they already upgraded the 12" uconnect radio. Mine used to crash and display loading sirius screen every week or about every 20-30 starts but the last 60-80 days, its been flawless.
There seems to be a new feature on the FOX News channel that will display a popup saying you last listened on "date and time" and states that it can resume from that time, "Yes or Continue Listening". It has never done that before and just started.

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
I have three screaming kids in the car and this is all I get for $70k.
It took 5-6 weeks but my dealer replaced the radio after confirming with FCA that it was a problem that couldn't (yet) be fixed with SW update. FCA admits there is a problem and thinks it has to do with SiriusXM, but apparently they don't have a fix other than replacing the radio. So far on Day 1 there are no problems with the new radio.

My dealer was good about working to fix this, and the replacement was covered under warrantee. The wait was getting the radio shipped to the dealer. If you have this problem I recommend having dealer/technician contact FCA and open a ticket. FCA knows of the problem and should fix each occurrence. Unfortunately looking at this thread some dealers need to be convinced that it's worth their time to fix an issue that will likely result in a recall.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took 5-6 weeks but my dealer replaced the radio after confirming with FCA that it was a problem that couldn't (yet) be fixed with SW update. FCA admits there is a problem and thinks it has to do with SiriusXM, but apparently they don't have a fix other than replacing the radio. So far on Day 1 there are no problems with the new radio.

My dealer was good about working to fix this, and the replacement was covered under warrantee. The wait was getting the radio shipped to the dealer. If you have this problem I recommend having dealer/technician contact FCA and open a ticket. FCA knows of the problem and should fix each occurrence. Unfortunately looking at this thread some dealers need to be convinced that it's worth their time to fix an issue that will likely result in a recall.
My radio cratered after the update in July and It took 18 weeks for me to get mine replaced on a 3 month old truck. Fortunately I have never had the glitches again since replacement last month. I dealt with the problem nearly every day for 4 1/2 months, man was I pissed. When STAR told me I had to wait for an unknown ETA of an upgrade after as many months as my new truck had been malfunctioning I blew a gasket. Radio then ordered.

LloydsRam1500

Reaction score
“Future” In FCA terms, means never. This issue started in June and they have been promising an update since then. FCA is focused on UC5 and nothing else. Good luck and yell and don’t give up.

Lol. Probably true. Status update.... I took my truck in to the dealership today, Peterson Dodge in Nampa, Idaho - I’ve been happy with them so far. They said they were quite familiar with the problem. Fortunately, the system gave them the “silent treatment” when they tested it and they were able to verify the problem. This is their reply on the status. “So, we are actually going to order a radio. They are currently on back order so I don't have an eta but we're getting one ordered! We have reset the radio and performed an update, so it's working as designed right now but we believe the issue will return again. So that is why we're going this route!” Looks like replacing the system is the only way to go.

CMENT

Reaction score
Lol. Probably true. Status update.... I took my truck in to the dealership today, Peterson Dodge in Nampa, Idaho - I’ve been happy with them so far. They said they were quite familiar with the problem. Fortunately, the system gave them the “silent treatment” when they tested it and they were able to verify the problem. This is their reply on the status. “So, we are actually going to order a radio. They are currently on back order so I don't have an eta but we're getting one ordered! We have reset the radio and performed an update, so it's working as designed right now but we believe the issue will return again. So that is why we're going this route!” Looks like replacing the system is the only way to go.

Looks like your dealer is looking out for you. That is great news. I have had my replacement radio for a little over two months with no issue. If I were you, I would still open a case with Ram and UConnect. I feel that “expedited” my radio to the dealer (about 35 days.).

gtxdana

Reaction score
My dealer, and FCA, are going out of their way to get me to just live with this junk radio. If I want to leave my truck at the dealership, they say will look at it, but I would have to leave it there until such time that FCA lets them replace the radio. She said the last one took over a month. It looks like it may take longer than that now. FCA does not admit to a problem and would not open a case. They said I could take it to another dealer to waste even more of my time.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind even if dealer orders radio it must get approved by FCA. This is an issue at times where they make the dealer open a star case and it is then luck of draw weather they approve or give the infamous response of firmware update coming next quarter.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

mseagle4407

Reaction score
Siriusxm says loading and never does, FM Radio, Aux, Apple Carplay doesn't play any sound and when I turn the volume knob the volume indicator doesn't move up or down

Same Problem took to Lenoir city chrysler dodge jeep ram Dealer here in east Tn and getting the same Run around I bought truck Dec 21, 2020 and have drove around with no radio or sound at all just about once a day at least but can not replicate issue at dealership and they told me a software update was suppose to be in by last quarter in 2020 which would probably mean next spring sometime.

mseagle4407

Reaction score
Siriusxm says loading and never does, FM Radio, Aux, Apple Carplay doesn't play any sound and when I turn the volume knob the volume indicator doesn't move up or down.

Made second trip same problem to Lenoir city chrysler dodge jeep ram Dealer here in east Tn on Jan 30 and was told headliner will have to be removed and connections checked on Antenna before Radio will be replaced. Set up appointment for Jan 4 which is the same date for first payment on 60 thousand dollar truck.

jabberwock

Reaction score
I (may) have resolution. By way of update on my end.

I spoke to both the dealer and via email with UConnect.

I explained that the radio issue was getting worse over time. The radio began to fritz out in other ways as well. The trigger words for FCA seemed to be to describe it as a drivability/safety issue and not just a convenience problem (which, frankly, given the amount of issues it arguably was). Ultimately, the dealer needs to make the request to FCA using these terms (and not the owner).

Once this happened the radio arrived in about a week and it was installed this morning (took about an hour). So far, so good. I’ll update if the issue manifests again.

I hope the above is helpful to folks.

ny600

Reaction score
Just back from the dealer. Opened a Star assistance case number. The radio was given a factory reset and working for now. Recommend opening a case with UConnect and having the dealer check the radio for documentation down the road. Good luck all.

kinserlarry

Reaction score
exact same issue, 2020 ram 2500, they changed screen, but issue remains, dealer still not sure what is causing it.

ramnewbie

Reaction score
Just back from the dealer. Opened a Star assistance case number. The radio was given a factory reset and working for now. Recommend opening a case with UConnect and having the dealer check the radio for documentation down the road. Good luck all.
Talked to UConnect today. Gave me detailed instructions on how to soft reset my 12" Harmon Kardon system. Not near vehicle at this time. Also instructed to go to dealer if radio did not properly reset and ask for software download of version NR28.1 and tell them this is data from Dealer Connect, if any hesitation. From what I see here, this problem arose after a failed OTA upgrade back around Xmas time.

gtxdana

Reaction score
Remarkably, my radio has been working for over a week now. I use to always leave the radio tuned to FM when I let it sit overnight so I didn't have to deal with the Sirius not loading fiasco. A couple of weeks back I called Sirius and told them to cancel the service, since I wasn't going to pay the $26.95/month for something that didn't work.
After much back and forth, they finally came up with a $5/month deal and sent a refresh signal to the radio. I've been letting it sit overnight tuned to Sirius and it hasn't locked up several days now. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but before the signal refresh, I had about a 30% chance of the radio working after sitting overnight and about a 50/50 chance of the radio freezing up if dared to tune to Sirius after driving for a while.

Maybe FCA snuck in an update without me knowing it. I never saw any message about an update on the radio itself.

Bigs

Reaction score
Like others here I was experiencing the radio freezes. After several trips to the dealer they finally replaced the radio. Everything was fine for about a week...then the same issues have started recurring. I did verify a new radio was installed and had to get the new radio registered to my Sirius account.

aka plan51

Reaction score
I have he same issue of Sirius freezing at startup. Good news: I was fortunate to receive a replacement radio very quickly. Bad news: the replacement radio is worse than the original. Dealer has done the software updates, hard reset the radio several times, talked to factory service rep, talked to Sirius and U-Connect folks and has opened cases with each. The only outstanding idea not yet accomplished (just ordered the part this week) is replacing the shark fin antenna. Question: has anyone actually gotten this problem fixed? Or are we all waiting for a resolution? A tip of my hat to a superb dealer - Dominion of Bedford in Bedford, VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online