5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks for the update @d_THRILL

Honestly - I think we're dealing with a software issue here. Given it was already posted on the previous TSBs, its just a waiting game with FCA to push that OTA update to the connected enabled trucks.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Thanks for the update @d_THRILL

Honestly - I think we're dealing with a software issue here. Given it was already posted on the previous TSBs, its just a waiting game with FCA to push that OTA update to the connected enabled trucks.

I totally agree its software related. They're just using my truck as a dummy truck since they have it in there. "Might as well poke around in here boys! Ahh, what does this wire do....[pulls wire]....uhhh ohhh well that didn't work. Let me try this one."

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I totally agree its software related. They're just using my truck as a dummy truck since they have it in there. "Might as well poke around in here boys! Ahh, what does this wire do....[pulls wire]....uhhh ohhh well that didn't work. Let me try this one."

I literally cringe every time I bring my truck into the dealer. Not sure why, I guess because they think its a truck that they can have that "treat it like a truck" type attitude. Truck or car, I'm SUPER OCD how I treat my vehicles. Anyway, I hope they your truck comes back working and in good order. I was without my truck for one day, I can't imagine how you're dealing without it for this long!

KRushin

Reaction score
I have the 8.4c (h & k system) and I thought I was a lucky one and never experienced this issue.... but after this past week ... I went on my road trip it was happening constantly (2-3 times every 1-2 hours). I hope they come out with a fix for this soon. I have a couple questions.

1. I haven't had an OTA for my vehicle yet (or updates in general). If i have connected version can I manually update the system (so I don't have to wait for OTA, or send it to service center)?
2. If I do take it to the service center (when there is a fix), Will they fix other problems that have been posted from TSB's. My truck was built in September and there a few updates/tsb posted for other systems.

Last edited:

2xs

Reaction score
Had the same problem today... cold outside.. 18 degrees... audio cut out every 2 to 3 seconds on satellite, fm, and media from the phone. Battery showed 14.7 volts, tried to shut off heated seats, wheel, no difference. No lines on back up camera when I stopped and backed up. Finally shut off and back on, problem solved. Was the uconnect software written by Microsoft where a reboot fixes everything?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
If anyone can get a hold of this TSB (08-001-19), please post/share.

This is apparently an update to 8.4" screens, resolving the audio cutting in/out. Just like the other TSBs, I'm not sure if this applies to our trucks specifically, including those trucks with the built-in modems (OTA update capability).

@RamCares

patsfan

Reaction score
UPDATE - Dealer tells me today they ordered a new amp. Installing tomorrow. Testing issue thereafter and hope to give my truck back to me by Thursday or Friday.
My dealer ordered me a new amp 2 weeks ago. They claim it is in production and don't know when it will arrive. I'd like to see if the software update will fix it or not before they replace the amplifier.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
UPDATE - New amp installed. Did not fix the problem. They want to keep testing. I told them no, I want my truck back. It’s been two weeks. Let someone else be their lab rat.

xdrugfreex

Reaction score
I confirmed that the TSB states a software fix, but has no ETA on when an OTA update will be pushed. Service department verified I had outdated software based on the TSB. If you go to the UConnect site you can enter your VIN to check for updates. I did, and it said I was up to date. I assume when they push the OTA it’ll change.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I confirmed that the TSB states a software fix, but has no ETA on when an OTA update will be pushed. Service department verified I had outdated software based on the TSB. If you go to the UConnect site you can enter your VIN to check for updates. I did, and it said I was up to date. I assume when they push the OTA it’ll change.

Were you able to get any details on that TSB - which radios it applies to, vehicle models, radio update version, etc?

xdrugfreex

Reaction score
Were you able to get any details on that TSB - which radios it applies to, vehicle models, radio update version, etc?
Let me push a little harder and see what I can get. The service manager asked for my software version number and did say I was due for the update, but they were not sure when it would be pushed.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Well i'm no longer on the sidelines, que the radio cut outs and camera issues. Bought the truck new November 10th over 4200 miles with zero issues until now. Parked it at a buddy's house for a few hours and when i was going to leave he wanted to check out the truck since he's looking at getting rid of his problematic 2015 Silverado, the whole walk to the truck i'm boasting about how much nicer the new RAMs are and how they don't have any of the electrical bugs/quirks the Chevy's do and what do you know we jump in my truck he puts it in reverse and nothing. Not a thing. Just a black screen. Puzzled i had him turn the truck off and back on, bingo camera's back (whew), then he goes "yours doesn't have the back up lines?" then i realized they weren't there :unsure:, no worries press on. I tell him the Alpine stereo is amazing in these trucks (loved my 16' Laramie's as well), SURPRISE, que the intermittent 3 second radio cut outs. At this point i made up some excuse that the truck was "mid over the air update" when i parked it and that it probably needed to be re-downloaded (BS story so i could save me and my trucks dignity). Talk about frustrating. Oh and since i got to ride home in silence for the first time since i bought it i got to come off the sidelines once again for the infamous center console squeak that i can now hear due to a lack of radio :poop:. Hope they find a fix soon!

EDIT: Woke up this morning to go to work and everything is back to 100%. For those that think its software related why are people having these issues stemming back several months and new ones keep popping up? I would think if it was in fact software related that it would be in mass scale across the board for everyone and it wouldn't be an intermittent issue it would be constant? On a side note i did notice that several times while driving over the last 4200+ miles that sometimes the radio would cut out if i hit a big bump/pothole in the road, it was only a momentary cut out (reminded me of a CD Skipping) but i'm almost wondering if it isn't a loose connection somewhere? Just my .02

Last edited:

d_THRILL

Reaction score
As we’re seeing more and more posts about this, I would strongly urge anyone experiencing this issue to email your problem, frustration and demand for a fix to [email protected]. Unless we all do our part and complain like crazy, in bigger numbers, there will be no urgency to fix this problem. Please confirm you sent an email by either liking this post or replying to it stating “done.”
Thanks.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
UPDATE - I got my truck back from the shop yesterday. Not because they fixed the problem, but because it was more than 2 weeks they’ve had it and they still had no idea how to fix it. When I picked it up yesterday, they told me they ordered ANOTHER amp, except this is a “new edition” amp Fiat Chrysler just released for the truck. They’re hopeful this solves the problem. So when it comes in they will call me and I will bring the truck back in for install. In the meantime, I’m praying for an OTA update that fixes this issue for ALL of us! I’ll keep you updated.

Jpace

Reaction score
Been having this issue over the past 2 months. Happened about 10 times total. Finally brought it into the dealer today when it happened again so I could show them while it was occurring as it always reset itself overnight the last 3 times I made appointments. They confirmed an error code that radio lost communication with the amp and stated I was running the latest update. They made a call to star and the service order states to replace screen and check several pin connections which the service advisor says means basically taking apart the whole dash. Not looking forward to that but I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Apparently that was the first available time where I could get a rental while in for service. I'll keep you posted with results.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Been having this issue over the past 2 months. Happened about 10 times total. Finally brought it into the dealer today when it happened again so I could show them while it was occurring as it always reset itself overnight the last 3 times I made appointments. They confirmed an error code that radio lost communication with the amp and stated I was running the latest update. They made a call to star and the service order states to replace screen and check several pin connections which the service advisor says means basically taking apart the whole dash. Not looking forward to that but I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Apparently that was the first available time where I could get a rental while in for service. I'll keep you posted with results.
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that we have the same unit and star reps involved but are being told different things. I hate the thought of the dash being ripped apart.

Jpace

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that we have the same unit and star reps involved but are being told different things. I hate the thought of the dash being ripped apart.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the idea of them taking the dash apart but what choice do I have. It better be good as new when done or there will be a problem. I never had an issue prior to the OTA push update, so I'm hoping its not just a software issue and this is all for nothing. At least I have 2 weeks for a possible resolution before I bring it in. I have the 9 speaker Alpine system. I would think everything is different after the head unit compared to the Harmon Kardon 16 speaker, but the same issue exists with both systems and also the 8.4 head units. I don't see how all different systems have the same issue but they are replacing hardware ( screens and amplifiers ) Seems like a software issue to me, but then I would think everyone would have the issue so who knows. I'm just hoping it is fixed soon. It's ridiculous that you have to worry about the radio working in a $60k vehicle.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the idea of them taking the dash apart but what choice do I have. It better be good as new when done or there will be a problem. I never had an issue prior to the OTA push update, so I'm hoping its not just a software issue and this is all for nothing. At least I have 2 weeks for a possible resolution before I bring it in. I have the 9 speaker Alpine system. I would think everything is different after the head unit compared to the Harmon Kardon 16 speaker, but the same issue exists with both systems and also the 8.4 head units. I don't see how all different systems have the same issue but they are replacing hardware ( screens and amplifiers ) Seems like a software issue to me, but then I would think everyone would have the issue so who knows. I'm just hoping it is fixed soon. It's ridiculous that you have to worry about the radio working in a $60k vehicle.

As far as I know, the 8.4 and 12.1 have different amplifiers.

I really believe this is a software issue. As I've stated before, I've seen the previous TSBs pertaining to trucks with the 8.4 screens (non-nav, non-connected), and it addresses the issue of "audio cutting in/out". I think FCA is just dragging their feet to push an OTA update for trucks with the connected uConnect systems.

Also to note, that the JL Wranglers are also having the EXACT same issue. Members in that forum have changed out radios and amps, same issue. One member has had their backup camera replaced, but still waiting to hear back if their issue returns or not.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/

I know its also not cold weather related. With this polar vortex we've been experiencing, my radio has been working relatively OK. Something definitely happened back in October though, when this issue really started popping up.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Update. My truck initially started the intermittent radio/camera cut out last week. Took my truck in for an oil change and to address the issue with the service department. Service department said the truck stored 2 codes for the radio/camera loss of communication and they were able to actively duplicate the issues. Verified i did in fact have the latest software installed. They finished the oil change and said they were ordering me a new radio and camera per their troubleshooting tree. They decided to keep my truck and put me in a service loaner. Got a call yesterday saying that FCA flagged their request for a new radio/camera and they cannot order a new radio/camera until engineering assesses the truck as there have been multiple Star cases opened in the last few weeks in regards to this issue and FCA doesn't want parts thrown at trucks if it's not going to fix the problem. Also notified me at the same time about a recall pertaining to a negative battery cable/loss of power steering potential. Said they will have an answer by COB Monday. Really hope the radio doesn't need replaced, like many of you i too dread the idea of the dash being taken apart!

Thankfully my buddy is the sales manager at the dealer I bought my truck from and he told the service department to "take care of me" and told them I'm a mechanic in the Air Force which has helped tremendously since I've noticed they have been divulging more information about everything going on with the truck and will actually discuss the issues on a more technical level than before, fingers crossed for a "quick" fix. Will keep everyone updated.

Users who are viewing this thread