5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
ISSUE RESOLVED

If you are experiencing the issue below, replace your rear back-up camera.

See original and related links here:

TSBs, Maintenance, Warranty Issues
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/

uConnect Systems
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/

Other members with the same issue
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/12-1”-uconnect-intermittent-pauses.2924/
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/sound-system-problems.6095/#post-86271

Creating this thread since it relates to both 12.1" and 8.4" uConnect screens, plus for more visibility.

ISSUE:

- Intermittent audio (music only) from all sources (AM, FM, Sirius, USB, Bluetooth, Device Mirroring).
- Rear backup camera guidance lines disappear.
- Voice recognition disabled (pressing the VR button does nothing).
- See video below of issue.

POSSIBLE RESOLUTION:
NONE

TROUBLESHOOTING NOTES:
- Both d_THRILL and I saw the issue mid October (October 17 and 19 respectively). Ironically, I saw mine literally one month + 1 day after taking delivery.
- Happens on both 8.4" and 12.1" uConnect systems. Both systems were on the latest operating system / firmware.
- d_THRILL had his 12.1" updated (November 20, 2018), but still saw the issue a few days later. It appears the latest update did not resolve this specific issue.
- I've personally notified @RamCares through private message regarding this on November 21, 2018.
- It appears that our friends in the JL Wrangler Forums are having the exact same issue. See related links below in the JLWranglerForum.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/
- Coincidentally, it appears we all started experiencing this issue on OCTOBER 18, 2018
- Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to perform any "reset" does not resolve the issue.
- Reseating possibly loose fuses inside the Internal Power Distribution Centre, including fuse F44 (Radio) and F12 (Amp, ANC, Inverter), does not resolve the issue.
- Reseating fuse F44 or disconnecting the battery can reset the radio temporarily, but the issue will return.
- If experiencing the issue, cycling the ignition from RUN to OFF to ACC temporarily resolves the issue. However, as soon as the ignition is placed back into RUN (ONLY when engine started), the issue re-appears. See video below.

ISSUE REPLICATION:
- After many attempts at issue/symptom replication and troubleshooting, we have concluded that the following doesn't replicate the issue, which we originally thought was the cause:
1. Remote start via key fob. The issue happens regardless of which way you start the vehicle. Note: you still press the "START/STOP Button" when getting into the truck to drive.
2. Automatic heated seats / steering wheel to turn on with remote start. Enabling and disabling this does not affect the issue.
3. Waiting for the truck to fully start before powering-on uConnect and/or HVAC systems. As in, pressing the start ignition button, then immediately powering-on uConnect and/or HVAC systems.
4. Bluetooth, USB and device screen mirroring connections. All devices connected were iPhones, varying in hardware and iOS (iPhone 6, 6S, 8+, X). All setup connections on phones and on uConnect were removed, but the issue still returns.
5. Cold weather. We noticed this issue started when the temperatures got below 5*C. Although even when the truck is still warm from an earlier drive, the issue does sometime return.

FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE VERSIONS:
- Press and hold the two far bottom icons (left and right) of your touchscreen to access the "Dealer Mode". Scroll through and obtain this information if you have the issue. Let's see if we can relate it to a specific hardware/software/firmware version.

uConnect 8.4" - Latest operating system / firmware as of November 20, 2018 (confirmed by RAM dealer).
Software Version: 18.20.2e
Application Version: CANADA-IR-SBX-21.9.0.20180516-I09V
BootMicro Version: 18.10.01
HD Tuner Firmware: J6PRM000-CTP2_VP4-33000001-EV011.016
DAB Tuner Firmware Version: N/A (blank)
EQ Version: 3.4
CDM Version: E02.01
Modem SW Version: 773
Modem HW Version: AR7552
SDARS Hardware Version: x01-00-01
SDARS Firmware Version: x0b-2c-00
SDARS Audio/Traffic/Data on Demand: 20HJ2DWM

uConnect 12.1" - Latest operating system / firmware as of November 20, 2018 (confirmed by latest update which was pushed to all 12.1" screens).
Software Version: 18.27.17
Application Version: USA-KR-SBX-20.16.0-20180703-K0AC
BootMicro Version: 18.26.01
HD Tuner Firmware: CTP2-VP4-33000001-EV011.016

If anyone has any issues like this, please share.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE

I experienced the issue (once again) this morning, and immediately went to the dealership to have them note this in my records. They advised I was already on the latest software/firmware for my uConnect (8.4C), although a newer OS was released (perhaps only for the 12.1" yesterday, see thread here - https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/uconnect-update-released-today.3902/page-2#post-56210).

As my next course of action, I've disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, and let the truck sit for over an hour. I re-connected the battery, and started the truck. I noticed a few things:

1. The rear backup camera stopped functioning, even when going into reverse.
2. The third USB input was not visible (I had a SanDisk 64GB USB stick inserted).
3. uConnect kept a few settings, such as my cluster setup, radio presets, unit measurements, Bluetooth pairing.
4. uConnect DID NOT keep the following settings: uConnect theme, time (12h vs 24h), all HVAC settings.
5. I noted that the font when changing the temperature increased in size.

After shutting down the truck, getting out and locking it, and getting back in and starting it again, all those issues above disappeared. I guess it needed a second restart?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and letting it "reset" did not work. The issue re-appeared this afternoon. Just to note, I drove the truck earlier this morning without issue, when the temperatures were much colder.

Also, after doing a bit of searching, it appears that our friends in the JL Wrangler Forums are having the exact same issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/

Coincidentally, it appears we all started experiencing this issue on OCTOBER 18, 2018. Was there something that was "pushed" to our vehicles the evening before? Could it be the cold weather?

d_THRILL

Reaction score
You’ve been doing a lot of work trying to get to the bottom of this, Rick! Nice work and much appreciated. I also saw your post on the Jeep forum. Can’t believe it’s this widespread and no fix or word from FIAT or Chrysler. So as you know, I got the new update pushed to my truck the other day. However, and unfortunately, today the intermittent pauses struck me not once, but THREE times! Was so depressing. I can’t figure out what it is and I’m so fed up with trying to. Anyway, finding things to be thankful for. Happy thanksgiving man.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

If experiencing the issue, cycling the ignition from RUN to OFF to ACC temporarily resolves the issue. However, as soon as the ignition is placed back into RUN (ONLY when engine started), the issue re-appears. See video below.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Possible resolution to this issue - TSB# 08-091-18 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvko1eeesqajou5/Radio and Back-up Camera Enhancements.pdf?dl=0)

Radio and Back-up Camera Enhancements.pdf

p.png

NUMBER:
08-091-18 REV. C
GROUP:
08 - Electrical
DATE:
November 5, 2018
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of FCA US LLC.
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-091-18 REV. B, DATED NOVEMBER
02, 2018, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE
HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE, ADDITIONAL SYMPTOM/CONDITIONS,
AND ADDING A CAMERA LOPS.
SUBJECT:
Radio and Back-up Camera Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves updating the radio software level to 1828.08
MODELS:
2019 (DT) RAM 1500 Pickup
2019 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA,
APAC, EMEA and LATAM.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to DT vehicles built on or before November 01, 2018 (MDH
1101XX) equipped with one of the following radios:
This bulletin applies to KL vehicles built on or before October 15, 2018 (MDH 1015XX)
equipped with one of the following radios:

Uconnect 3 with 5” Display (Sales Codes UAA, UCA or UJA)

Uconnect 4 with 8.4” Display (Sales Codes UAM, UCM, UDM, UGM or UJM).

Uconnect 4 with 7” Display (Sales Codes UAG, UCG, UDG, UJG, ULG or UGG).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience one or more of the following:

**Blank rear camera image in reverse (If this is the customer concern use camera LOP 18-60-
02-D3) DT only.**

Audio cutting in and out during memory recall.

Ring tone too loud.

AM/FM volume fluctuates.

While in CarPlay
T
or AndroidAuto
T
Google
T
maps showing wrong location.

Phone disconnected after first call.

Black screen or White screen with vertical lines.

Personal Identification Number (PIN) clears and volume locked while KeySense is used.

Audio static while in SXM/SAT modes.

Echo heard during Bluetooth phone calls.

The radio is locked up.

p.png

The radio remains on after ignition has been turned off.

The radio resets.

The radio screen turns black.

Intermittently requires an anti-theft code to be entered.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom
conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and
repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: An 8 GB USB flash drive is required for this update. It is also recommended to use a
quality, name brand flash drive over a generic USB flash drive.
1. Has a
8 GB
USB flash drive been created?

YES >>> Proceed to
Step 11

NO >>> Proceed to
Step 2
2. Perform the following steps to format the USB flash drive
(Fig. 1)
a. Select “FAT32” format.
b. Select “Default allocation size” under Allocation Unit Size.
c. Select “Quick Format” under Format Options.
d. Click “Start”.
3. Go to DealerCONNECT>Service>Uconnect Command Center>Uconnect>More Information
>Dealer software downloads to download the files.
Fig. 1
Formatting The USB Flash Drive
08-091-18 REV. C -2-

p.png

4. If a security message appears “Do you want to view only the web page content that was
delivered securely?”
(Fig. 2)
. Press “No” to continue.
NOTE: If the software cannot be downloaded, make sure you have proper security access. If
not, have the Service Manager or Shop Foreman download the software update.
5. Use a blank USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of space. Follow the on-screen instructions to
download the software files.
6. Download the software update file to your local PC’s desktop. Make sure to select the “MAC”
radial button for all downloads
(Fig. 3)
Fig. 2
Pop-Up Security Message
Fig. 3
MAC Download Steps
-3-
08-091-18 REV. C

p.png

7. Be sure to download the file to your PC’s desktop and open it
(Fig. 4)
8. Extract the downloaded file to the USB flash drive
(Fig. 5)
NOTE: It may take a few minutes for an accurate extract time to be displayed.
9. Once the file is extracted to the USB flash drive flash drive, it is recommended to label the USB
flash drive with the bulletin number and proper radio Sales Code.
CAUTION! Eject the USB flash drive properly from your PC. Failure to eject the USB flash
drive properly may result in an improper file byte size and cause the update to
not fully download.
Fig. 4
Extracted File
NOTE: The USB should only contain a folder labeled “18000000” on it after files are
extracted to it.
Fig. 5
Extract File To USB
08-091-18 REV. C -4-

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See original and related links here:
TSBs, Maintenance, Warranty Issues: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/
uConnect Systems: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/
12.1" uConnect Systems: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/12-1”-uconnect-intermittent-pauses.2924/

Creating this thread since it relates to both 12.1" and 8.4" uConnect screens, plus for more visibility.

ISSUE:
- Intermittent audio (music only) from all sources (AM, FM, Sirius, USB, Bluetooth, Device Mirroring).
- Rear backup camera guidance lines disappear.
- Voice recognition disabled (pressing the VR button does nothing).
- See video below of issue.

TROUBLESHOOTING NOTES:
- Both d_THRILL and I saw the issue mid October (October 17 and 19 respectively). Ironically, I saw mine literally one month + 1 day after taking delivery.
- Happens on both 8.4" and 12.1" uConnect systems. Both systems were on the latest operating system / firmware.
- d_THRILL had his 12.1" updated (November 20, 2018), but still saw the issue a few days later. It appears the latest update did not resolve this specific issue.
- I've personally notified @RamCares through private message regarding this on November 21, 2018.
- It appears that our friends in the JL Wrangler Forums are having the exact same issue. See related links below in the JLWranglerForum.
- Coincidentally, it appears we all started experiencing this issue on OCTOBER 18, 2018
- Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery to perform any "reset" does not resolve the issue.
- If experiencing the issue, cycling the ignition from RUN to OFF to ACC temporarily resolves the issue. However, as soon as the ignition is placed back into RUN (ONLY when engine started), the issue re-appears. See video below.

FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE VERSIONS:
- Press and hold the two far bottom icons (left and right) of your touchscreen to access the "Dealer Mode". Scroll through and obtain this information if you have the issue. Let's see if we can relate it to a specific hardware/software/firmware version.

uConnect 8.4" - Latest operating system / firmware as of November 20, 2018 (confirmed by RAM dealer).
Software Version: 18.20.2e
Application Version: CANADA-IR-SBX-21.9.0.20180516-I09V
BootMicro Version: 18.10.01
HD Tuner Firmware: J6PRM000-CTP2_VP4-33000001-EV011.016
CDM Version: E02.01
Modem SW Version: 773
Modem HW Version: AR7552
SDARS Hardware Version: x01-00-01
SDARS Firmware Version: x0b-2c-00
SDARS Audio/Traffic/Data on Demand: 20HJ2DWM

uConnect 12.1" - Latest operating system / firmware as of November 20, 2018 (confirmed by latest update which was pushed to all 12.1" screens).
Software Version: 18.27.17
Application Version: USA-KR-SBX-20.16.0-20180703-K0AC
BootMicro Version: 18.26.01
HD Tuner Firmware: CTP2-VP4-33000001-EV011.016

ISSUE REPLICATION:
- After many attempts at issue/symptom replication and troubleshooting, we have concluded that the following doesn't replicate the issue, which we originally thought was the cause:
1. Remote start via key fob. The issue happens regardless of which way you start the vehicle. Note: you still press the "START/STOP Button" when getting into the truck to drive.
2. Automatic heated seats / steering wheel to turn on with remote start. Enabling and disabling this does not affect the issue.
3. Waiting for the truck to fully start before powering-on uConnect and/or HVAC systems. As in, pressing the start ignition button, then immediately powering-on uConnect and/or HVAC systems.
4. Bluetooth, USB and device screen mirroring connections. All devices connected were iPhones, varying in hardware and iOS (iPhone 6, 6S, 8+, X). All setup connections on phones and on uConnect were removed, but the issue still returns.
5. Cold weather. We noticed this issue started when the temperatures got below 5*C. Although even when the truck is still warm from an earlier drive, the issue does sometime return.

If anyone has any issues like this, please share.
My truck has been at the dealer since 11/16. When I went to pick it up on 11/23 the dealer was moving the truck and noticed the back up camera and Sirius were lost. I have the 12 inch in my limited. Obviously the update on 11/20 did me in.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
My truck has been at the dealer since 11/16. When I went to pick it up on 11/23 the dealer was moving the truck and noticed the back up camera and Sirius were lost. I have the 12 inch in my limited. Obviously the update on 11/20 did me in.

I believe the 12.1" screen will probably run a different software revision than the 8.4". The update on 11/20 is obviously newer than that TSB I posted above. This issue appears to be affecting nearly everyone with the 8.4" (RAM 1500s and JL Wranglers).

I'm scheduled in at the dealer next week to have it officially looked at. The original dealer (where I purchased) was giving me the run-around, so I decided to book with another. I notified them of the issue, my FCA case ID, as well as the TSB, and they said it applies to my truck. We'll see if this actually fixes the issue. I'll post the results as soon as its done.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the 12.1" screen will probably run a different software revision than the 8.4". The update on 11/20 is obviously newer than that TSB I posted above. This issue appears to be affecting nearly everyone with the 8.4" (RAM 1500s and JL Wranglers).

I'm scheduled in at the dealer next week to have it officially looked at. The original dealer (where I purchased) was giving me the run-around, so I decided to book with another. I notified them of the issue, my FCA case ID, as well as the TSB, and they said it applies to my truck. We'll see if this actually fixes the issue. I'll post the results as soon as its done.
Keep us posted with any updates. Thanks.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Whenever I lose the audio, I just press the source button on the back of the steering wheel and the audio returns.

I'm not losing audio (I know of that issue you're speaking of though). The audio is cutting in and out every 2-3 seconds.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Keep us posted with any updates. Thanks.

No luck. Just got back from the dealer, and they stated I was already on the latest software (18.20.2e). I gave them the TSB that I posted above, and they said that my truck accepts updates over the air (OTA), not through USB. This was hard for me to believe, but they stated they connected a tool to see if an update was applicable and it was not.

They're in the midst of ordering a replacement radio for me, which I know may not be the answer. I know for a fact that the JL Wrangler guys who are experiencing the same issue had their radios replaced, only to encounter the issue again.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
No luck. Just got back from the dealer, and they stated I was already on the latest software (18.20.2e). I gave them the TSB that I posted above, and they said that my truck accepts updates over the air (OTA), not through USB. This was hard for me to believe, but they stated they connected a tool to see if an update was applicable and it was not.

They're in the midst of ordering a replacement radio for me, which I know may not be the answer. I know for a fact that the JL Wrangler guys who are experiencing the same issue had their radios replaced, only to encounter the issue again.
SUCKS! I hate the idea of the dealer replacing something like that. Especially knowing it's not likely to resolve. Given the frequency of it happening, I would wait until FCA pushes another update through. I can deal with it happening once in every 100 or so starts....for now....

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SUCKS! I hate the idea of the dealer replacing something like that. Especially knowing it's not likely to resolve. Given the frequency of it happening, I would wait until FCA pushes another update through. I can deal with it happening once in every 100 or so starts....for now....
I agree. Wait for an update. No doubt it isn't hardware. I wouldn't want to replace the radio yet and risk tool marks, scratches...

RIC3BOY

Reaction score

I'm having the issue almost every day or every other day. Completely random now, no way to duplicate. Super frustrating.

I agree. Wait for an update. No doubt it isn't hardware. I wouldn't want to replace the radio yet and risk tool marks, scratches...

This is the route I'm going. Waiting for an official update or TSB from FCA. I'd rather deal with waiting and putting up with the random radio issues than permanent scratches, marks, dents, etc in my interior/exterior. I'm VERY OCD on how my truck is handled, so this would drive me even more nuts.

There is a ray of light to this though. A member here was experiencing the same issue, and had their truck updated to that TSB I posted above. I'm guessing their uConnect system isn't the 8.4C with navigation. See post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/#post-62777.

It looks like that TSB resolved the issue, but only with the non-navigation 8.4" screen.

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having the issue almost every day or every other day. Completely random now, no way to duplicate. Super frustrating.

This is the route I'm going. Waiting for an official update or TSB from FCA. I'd rather deal with waiting and putting up with the random radio issues than permanent scratches, marks, dents, etc in my interior/exterior. I'm VERY OCD on how my truck is handled, so this would drive me even more nuts.

There is a ray of light to this though. A member here was experiencing the same issue, and had their truck updated to that TSB I posted above. I'm guessing their uConnect system isn't the 8.4C with navigation. See post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/#post-62777.

It looks like that TSB resolved the issue, but only with the non-navigation 8.4" screen.
I'm with you. I'm crazy about my vehicles and hate the thought of someone else touching things.

Bellpa

Reaction score
Mine just started doing the intermittent radio thing this morning. I've had the truck since mid-August with no issues. It's due in for an oil change, so along with the console lid squeak, I will address the radio cutting out issue. I too do not want gouges and marks from replacement parts.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Mine just started doing the intermittent radio thing this morning. I've had the truck since mid-August with no issues. It's due in for an oil change, so along with the console lid squeak, I will address the radio cutting out issue. I too do not want gouges and marks from replacement parts.

Which version of uConnect do you have, the 8.4 with nav or without nav?

Print out the TSB I posted above and give it to the service advisor, and see if it applies to your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread