5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

patsfan

Reaction score
I had mine in on Thursday and they installed a new amplifier. I had the problem come back yesterday (saturday). I've opened a star case with FCA and will be getting a hold of my dealer tomorrow. I'm tired of driving around with no sound. They mentioned to me as well about the recall for the ground strap, but it's not related to the sound/camera issue.

fatboy1020

Reaction score
Here's another new owner with the all audio devices cutting out every 3 seconds. I ordered my Laramie with the 8.4C NAV in early December 2018 (new build) and took delivery on January 9th. For the first time last night (almost 1 month after delivery), I encountered the dreaded 3 second cutout on my audio devices for my entire ride home from work. The temp was around 30 degrees. After the truck sat in my driveway for around 20 minutes, I restarted the truck and all audio was now working fine. I wasn't aware that so many owners were experiencing this issue. I'll have to see this morning if the issue re-occurs. Thanks to all for providing updates on the forum and hopefully FCA will resolved this audio issue shortly via a U-connect software upgrade. I'm not happy about this at all on a $58,000 truck. My 2015 RAM never had these issues with a similar 8.4 NAV. Please keep posting updates.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Here's another new owner with the all audio devices cutting out every 3 seconds. I ordered my Laramie with the 8.4C NAV in early December 2018 (new build) and took delivery on January 9th. For the first time last night (almost 1 month after delivery), I encountered the dreaded 3 second cutout on my audio devices for my entire ride home from work. The temp was around 30 degrees. After the truck sat in my driveway for around 20 minutes, I restarted the truck and all audio was now working fine. I wasn't aware that so many owners were experiencing this issue. I'll have to see this morning if the issue re-occurs. Thanks to all for providing updates on the forum and hopefully FCA will resolved this audio issue shortly via a U-connect software upgrade. I'm not happy about this at all on a $58,000 truck. My 2015 RAM never had these issues with a similar 8.4 NAV. Please keep posting updates.

Thanks for letting us know. Please let FCA know by emailing them at [email protected]. Let them know exactly whats going on and the frustration it has caused you. Let us know how they respond.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Email sent. Also, curious if anyone else noticed this, when it was bitter cold outside I rarely had this happening, but since its been cool but not freezing it's started acting up again. And it seems most ppl started getting it happening around Oct, Nov, Dec. Have you guys found that it's more common near freezing but once it's really cold it was happening less often?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Email sent. Also, curious if anyone else noticed this, when it was bitter cold outside I rarely had this happening, but since its been cool but not freezing it's started acting up again. And it seems most ppl started getting it happening around Oct, Nov, Dec. Have you guys found that it's more common near freezing but once it's really cold it was happening less often?

Exactly what I noticed. When the temperature is at or around freezing it occurs more consistently. I've noted this before on the other threads too.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know. Please let FCA know by emailing them at [email protected]. Let them know exactly whats going on and the frustration it has caused you. Let us know how they respond.

Email sent. This is what I wrote:

To: [email protected]
Subject: 2019 RAM 1500 - 8.4c Audio Cutting In/Out - Rear Backup Camera Guidelines Disappearing

RE: FCA Case ID xxxxxxxx

Hello uConnect Team,

I was told by my dealership to email this address with my concerns / issues I've been experiencing with my new 2019 RAM 1500, equipped with the 8.4c uConnect system with navigation.

I purchased this truck brand new in September 2018. In mid-October, I started experiencing the issue of the audio cutting in/out every 2-3 seconds, regardless of audio source (AM/FM/SAT/Bluetooth/CarPlay/AndroidAuto). When this issue occurs, the rear backup camera guidelines also disappear.

This issue occurs randomly, and the only way to remedy the issue is to shut off the truck completely and let it sit for approximately 30 minutes, or until the uConnect "splash" screen re-appears (where the terms/conditions/warnings appear, and where the user has to press "Accept"). As you can imagine, this remedy is unacceptable, and the issue is frustrating, distracting, and dangerous (due to lack of rear backup camera guidelines).

Unfortunately, my dealership does not have any solution to this issue. They have checked my software version of uConnect, and it is up-to-date. I have also confirmed this on the uConnect website. I have raised a FCA case ID, but there is no solution from their end either.

I am requesting assistance in this matter.

Thanks

1997pgt

Reaction score
Update: Picked up my truck from the dealer yesterday (not fixed) however the service manager and the tech working on my truck said they have an engineering team coming in on the 18th to look at it and try to fix it. They are aware that there are many others experiencing the same issues and also said (which we already know) that other dealers have thrown amps, radios, speakers, updates, flashes etc at the trucks to attempt to fix them with no luck. The service manager did say that they were able to duplicate the issues in shop with the computers hooked up to it which they said FCA hadn't been able to do with other trucks due to the extremely random occurrence of the issues. Because my truck was the first/one of the first to replicate the issue in house/hooked up to their computers they were able to contact FCA/engineering while it was running/glitching and sent them over all the data from it to try and come up with a fix. They did say when engineering comes in next week that my truck would essentially become the "guinea pig" to come up with a permanent fix so hopefully with any luck once they are done treating my truck as a test subject we will all get a good answer as to what's going on and finally get a fix for it. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress/outcome.

Last edited:

fatboy1020

Reaction score
That's great news. I'm still awaiting a response from UconnectCustomerCare to my email sent on 2/7. Please keep us posted on the Engineers analysis next week. Thanks

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Just put that on their twitter handle. I haven't got any response from anyone and I'm getting sick of it. Just being told to wait until there is an update with no timeline is getting old quick. Complete horseshit. Next move is calling the new station "fixer" guy and get some bad publicity going. I'm not above protesting the dealer I bought from and making sure people going in to buy a jeep or ram are aware of the issue.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Update: Picked up my truck from the dealer yesterday (not fixed) however the service manager and the tech working on my truck said they have an engineering team coming in on the 18th to look at it and try to fix it. They are aware that there are many others experiencing the same issues and also said (which we already know) that other dealers have thrown amps, radios, speakers, updates, flashes etc at the trucks to attempt to fix them with no luck. The service manager did say that they were able to duplicate the issues in shop with the computers hooked up to it which they said FCA hadn't been able to do with other trucks due to the extremely random occurrence of the issues. Because my truck was the first/one of the first to replicate the issue in house/hooked up to their computers they were able to contact FCA/engineering while it was running/glitching and sent them over all the data from it to try and come up with a fix. They did say when engineering comes in next week that my truck would essentially become the "guinea pig" to come up with a permanent fix so hopefully with any luck once they are done treating my truck as a test subject we will all get a good answer as to what's going on and finally get a fix for it. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress/outcome.

Good luck! My truck was in the shop for over two weeks with them replicating the problem multiple times a day with FCA’s “STAR” team of engineers reading the codes and trying to trouble shoot everything. My truck was literally the lab rat and would have continued to be if I didn’t go there to pick it up and tell them to find another truck to test. My biggest complaint was them wasting time by not flying a team of engineers in to get hands-on with my truck since the problem was is so widespread. Glad they’re finally doing it with your truck and I pray they find a fix. In other news, I have an appointment this upcoming Monday for ANOTHER amp install, this time though the amp is supposed to be a “newly updated” amp. We’ll see how that goes. I’ll post back with an update later in the week.

Go Blue

Reaction score
I'm new here. Bought my truck in late November. Have the 8.4 with navigation (Alpine). Been getting intermittent audio from all sources sporadically, usually when it's around freezing temps. Also no lines in backup camera when this happens.
Had my truck at the dealer (Huvare) for 5 weeks for this issue. They replicated it, got FCA engineers involved. Finally, they called and said they replaced the wiring and it was fixed.
Of course when I got the truck back it wasn't fixed. Been happening even more probably because of the temps being in the 30s. Beyond frustrated now. The sticker price on my truck is $54,000 and I can't listen to the radio when I want. This is completely unacceptable! Chrysler needs to get their **** together and fix this immediately or I want a new truck dammit, preferably a GMC or even a Ford.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
I'm new here. Bought my truck in late November. Have the 8.4 with navigation (Alpine). Been getting intermittent audio from all sources sporadically, usually when it's around freezing temps. Also no lines in backup camera when this happens.
Had my truck at the dealer (Huvare) for 5 weeks for this issue. They replicated it, got FCA engineers involved. Finally, they called and said they replaced the wiring and it was fixed.
Of course when I got the truck back it wasn't fixed. Been happening even more probably because of the temps being in the 30s. Beyond frustrated now. The sticker price on my truck is $54,000 and I can't listen to the radio when I want. This is completely unacceptable! Chrysler needs to get their **** together and fix this immediately or I want a new truck dammit, preferably a GMC or even a Ford.
Thanks for contributing. We all feel your pain! We hope FCA is listening to us and not thinking "ok there's only a dozen or so defectives out there so no need to worry." Let me ask you this though; after they claimed they fixed it I'm assuming you told them they didn't, so where do things stand now? Did they just give up? Did you give up with them? Did they tell you to "wait for an update"? Just want to know what their gameplan is.

Go Blue

Reaction score
Thanks for contributing. We all feel your pain! We hope FCA is listening to us and not thinking "ok there's only a dozen or so defectives out there so no need to worry." Let me ask you this though; after they claimed they fixed it I'm assuming you told them they didn't, so where do things stand now? Did they just give up? Did you give up with them? Did they tell you to "wait for an update"? Just want to know what their gameplan is.
The dealership has not called me back yet (big surprise). I think they're avoiding me because they have no idea how to fix it. I'm going to try emailing [email protected] and I will keep you posted with their response.
I've notice it happening more frequently today, temperature is about 30 degrees. Also, I've noticed it doesn't do it right when I start the truck. Usually it happens as soon as I turn it to reverse to back up out of my driveway and then will continue until I park it.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
In other news, I have an appointment this upcoming Monday for ANOTHER amp install, this time though the amp is supposed to be a “newly updated” amp. We’ll see how that goes. I’ll post back with an update later in the week.

UPDATE - "Newly updated amp" installed and did not fix the issue. Waiting for FCA's next marching order...

Go Blue

Reaction score
Its apparent that this is a widespread issue. There's a Jeep forum discussing 2019 Cherokees with the same UConnect radios experiencing the exact same issues. This has been going on since at least November but I suspect that it became more prevalent when the temps dropped. And, yes, there is a correlation between the temps and the problem. Came up numerous times in both threads.

A lot of people think it has something to do with the amplifier but as d_THRILL posted above this does not appear to be the case. He got an updated amp and it did not solve the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the amp. What does an amp have to do with no lines in the backup camera? Besides, if it was an amp why would hands free work? It sounds like a software issue to me but I'm no expert.

The big question is why haven't FCA fixed the issue by now? Is it because there's not enough of us complaining? Are their engineers just to stupid to figure it out? There's probably over 1000 vehicles out there with these faulty radios between RAM and Jeep. Its been over 3 months now and still no software update to fix, no recalls. I think there needs to be a class action lawsuit against FCA or we all need to file the lemon law and get new ones. The dealers can't fix them. Its completely unacceptable that I've spent $54,000 on a vehicle and can't listen to the frikin radio when I want!

Jpace

Reaction score
Had to push my service appointment back a week. They wanted to give me a minivan for a rental and a storm is coming in tomorrow so that wasn't happening. I Hadn't had an issue since I brought it in 2 weeks ago, of course right after I rescheduled it happened again today. It's pretty frustrating having to drive in silence. They are supposed to put a new screen in and check some connections. I think it's a waste of time. I discovered today that if I shut the truck off and put it in accessory mode the issue stops. Radio works fine, no audio cut out. Turn it back on to run and it starts cutting out again. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. Today temps were right around 30.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I discovered today that if I shut the truck off and put it in accessory mode the issue stops. Radio works fine, no audio cut out. Turn it back on to run and it starts cutting out again. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. Today temps were right around 30.

Yes, I noted that in the original post.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Good luck! My truck was in the shop for over two weeks with them replicating the problem multiple times a day with FCA’s “STAR” team of engineers reading the codes and trying to trouble shoot everything. My truck was literally the lab rat and would have continued to be if I didn’t go there to pick it up and tell them to find another truck to test. My biggest complaint was them wasting time by not flying a team of engineers in to get hands-on with my truck since the problem was is so widespread. Glad they’re finally doing it with your truck and I pray they find a fix. In other news, I have an appointment this upcoming Monday for ANOTHER amp install, this time though the amp is supposed to be a “newly updated” amp. We’ll see how that goes. I’ll post back with an update later in the week.

I completely understand your frustrations with them using your truck as a lab rat throwing parts at it. Thankfully my dealer is good about not throwing parts at issues, they specifically said they won’t replace anything until they know it will fix it for sure which is why I’m optimistic with their engineering team flying in early next week to take a look at the truck. Will keep everyone updated though on any/all progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online