5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

1997pgt

Reaction score
Its apparent that this is a widespread issue. There's a Jeep forum discussing 2019 Cherokees with the same UConnect radios experiencing the exact same issues. This has been going on since at least November but I suspect that it became more prevalent when the temps dropped. And, yes, there is a correlation between the temps and the problem. Came up numerous times in both threads.

A lot of people think it has something to do with the amplifier but as d_THRILL posted above this does not appear to be the case. He got an updated amp and it did not solve the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the amp. What does an amp have to do with no lines in the backup camera? Besides, if it was an amp why would hands free work? It sounds like a software issue to me but I'm no expert.

The big question is why haven't FCA fixed the issue by now? Is it because there's not enough of us complaining? Are their engineers just to stupid to figure it out? There's probably over 1000 vehicles out there with these faulty radios between RAM and Jeep. Its been over 3 months now and still no software update to fix, no recalls. I think there needs to be a class action lawsuit against FCA or we all need to file the lemon law and get new ones. The dealers can't fix them. Its completely unacceptable that I've spent $54,000 on a vehicle and can't listen to the frikin radio when I want!

They can’t issue a recall until they come up with a fix, maybe you have a bad dealer/service advisor but mine said FCA and their engineers are fully aware of the issue and actively working to fix it. Unfortunately when the issues first started popping up late last year they weren’t able to duplicate them in house to see what the computers and hardware were saying/doing. Thankfully (but unfortunately) now that there’s more of us having issues they have been able to get ahold of the trucks in their shops with them actively malfunctioning so they are able to work on getting a fix.

Yes it’s frustrating but at the same time I give them more credit for waiting and coming up with a proper fix vs jumping the gun and telling dealers to change part “x” as a shot in the dark and it not working. Disassembling dozens of trucks and throwing random parts at them will obviously cause a lot of unwanted rattles/fitment issues in the future. My dealer told me FCA told dealers to wait for a fix from their end/engineers vs dealers playing doctor in house but it seems a lot of dealers are just throwing parts at trucks anyway hoping they can come up with a solution, I can only assume it’s because it would look good for the dealer that came up with a legitimate fix for it. My dealer however refuses to treat customer trucks as lab rats and forced engineering to fly in and fix it themselves so I have to give my dealer credit for that.

Ford, GM, even Toyota have had a ton of issues with new generations/body styles, frustrating as it may be you just have to give them time to find a good fix for the issue, it’s an inherent risk you take buying a first year redesign and ultimately we are all the guinea pigs until they work the kinks out. My 2014 and 2015 Silverado were both bought back for being lemons, first one had so many electrical issues the dealer put almost 7,000 miles on it themselves trying to fix it and were never able to. My second Silverado (LTZ 6.2) had their new 8spd transmission in it and i was on my second transmission before my first oil change. Just have to keep your cool and be calm about it, if you get all mad and yell at FCA/dealers and demand a class action lawsuit or a buyback they will stop working with you all together. As frustrated as I was with both of my lemon silverados I kept a calm and cool demeanor and in the end GM/my dealer took great care of me. At the end of the day though lll take an intermittent radio/camera over a completely inoperative truck any day. Just have to be patient no matter how much it sucks.

Last edited:

Go Blue

Reaction score
Well, 1997pgt..... I'm not going to give FCA any credit or "just be patient". They want top dollar for these trucks but don't want to do anything when there's a problem. I could go out and buy a $1,000 beater and still be able to listen to the radio.
It's been happening to me all morning today (25 degrees). It's completely unacceptable that I spent all this money on the truck and can't listen to the friggin radio. They've had over 3 months to fix this but still nothing.
Stop making excuses for them. They need to fix this immediately or give us all our money back!

1997pgt

Reaction score
Well, 1997pgt..... I'm not going to give FCA any credit or "just be patient". They want top dollar for these trucks but don't want to do anything when there's a problem. I could go out and buy a $1,000 beater and still be able to listen to the radio.
It's been happening to me all morning today (25 degrees). It's completely unacceptable that I spent all this money on the truck and can't listen to the friggin radio. They've had over 3 months to fix this but still nothing.
Stop making excuses for them. They need to fix this immediately or give us all our money back!

Wow, I’m making excuses for FCA? Is that because unlike you I’m a rational person that understands buying a new model refresh in its first year will inevitably have quirks and issues? In case you haven’t figured this out yet, every person on here has spent “top dollar” on each truck they bought, they weren’t free. If you want an immediate answer or fix, drop your truck off to your nearest dealer and let them throw random parts at it, rip it to pieces then give it back. Then in a month when it still isn’t fixed you can come back on here yet again and bash FCA because you were too impatient to wait for a proper fix and are now left with a botched, rattle induced interior and demand they buy your truck back again. But seeing as how you said in an earlier post your dealer won't contact you back I can only assume you took the same tactics as you did here with them, it won't work out/pay off in the long run to yell and demand stuff from the people that are there to help you.

And what part of “they are working on a fix” did you not understand? Hypothetically lets say it’s a bad wire harness (for example), basically you want them to do a quick splice job on thousands of trucks in a rush to appease little people like you who are up in arms comparing a new truck to a “$1,000 beater,” demanding an immediate fix or replacement and then come to find out because they rushed to come up with a fix within 100 miles their rush "fix" causes an electrical fire, a bunch of accidents and kills a bunch of people? THAT'S how lawsuits happen, let them do their jobs. For all we know they may end up having to redesign and install a whole new radio which means getting with the manufacturer of the failed parts, having them redesign it, gen up an assembly line, test the parts, come up with new software and then go through the process of issuing a TSB/Recall, this stuff isn't quick. Look at Toyota and their massive frame recall on the Tacoma's, some people had north of 150k on their trucks when Toyota finally did something about their frames rotting to pieces, no manufacturer puts out a perfect car from the gate.

Yes it’s frustrating, if you haven’t figured it out by now I’m also in the same boat as you along with everyone else on this thread dealing with an intermittent radio/camera. At the end of the day at least it runs and drives perfectly fine and will transport you and haul whatever you need it to until they come up with a permanent solution. Both of my new Silverado’s left me stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck several times, including making me late for work and putting me in dangerous situations where the first one would just randomly shut off losing all power driving down the road, THAT'S an inconvenience let alone dangerous but once again it was a risk I decided to take with buying a brand new redesign in its first year. You know what I didn't do though? Yell at people, threaten to file a class action lawsuit, threaten them with the lemon law, demand a replacement, threaten to go with a different company etc etc. I kept a cool head about it, worked with the dealer and engineers and I let them do their job. In the end they put me in a fully loaded 2015 Silverado LTZ of my choice for the same price as my mid level 2014 Silverado LT for my "inconvenience" and "good faith." Unfortunately though the replacement was also bought back for being a lemon as well with 2 8spd transmissions replaced before I hit 5k (8 speed was brand new in 2015 on the 6.2 Silverado's). Point is let them do their job. You aren't happy and are too impatient because you're the only one who spent "top dollar" on a new truck, then go trade it in on a Ford, Chevy etc, and vent on their forums when you have similar issues.

Last edited:

Donbaragar

Reaction score
You work for FCA or something? Who comes to a forum about issues and tells people to stop complaining about an issue. Get a grip bud. You don't want to complain, you want to just sit and wait for an answer, cool, that's your call. But lots of us are very pissed off about driving for hours with no radio in a brand new vehicle. But to call people irrational for being mad about it, or that you've had worse issues in other trucks so we should just shut up and sit down is foolishness. You deal with your stuff however you want, just dont come here and spout off about how we should deal with it. My dealer didn't send an engineering team when I brought my truck in, mine just said there's nothing we can do and sent me on my way. I wasn't yelling, I wasn't being irrational, I have an excellent relationship with my dealer, but when the truck was 24 hours old I was told to just suck it up and wait for an answer it doesnt sit right with me. So maybe try keeping your name calling and condescending attitude to yourself. Some people here post info, some are here to vent, some are trying to piece together a solution themselves. Not your place to tell ppl how to respond to issues.

Go Blue

Reaction score
Thank you Donbaragar. I couldn't agree with your post more.
For the record, my sister is an engineer at FCA and was on the design team for the 2019 Ram. She also thinks it's completely unacceptable how long it's taken to fix this mess.
Just so everyone knows FCA doesn't make the radios themselves, they are made by a third party. I don't blame the dealers and agree it's a complete waste of time bringing it to them because they're unable to fix it.

I'm not mad that my truck had a problem. I'm mad my truck is part of a major problem that's been going on for over three months and FCA has not fixed it yet. They should've fixed this by now. Not being able to listen to the radio is kind of a big deal. Maybe not so much for 1997pgt but it is for me. I'm not patient for over 3 months, sorry.

1997pgt

Reaction score
You work for FCA or something? Who comes to a forum about issues and tells people to stop complaining about an issue. Get a grip bud. You don't want to complain, you want to just sit and wait for an answer, cool, that's your call. But lots of us are very pissed off about driving for hours with no radio in a brand new vehicle. But to call people irrational for being mad about it, or that you've had worse issues in other trucks so we should just shut up and sit down is foolishness. You deal with your stuff however you want, just dont come here and spout off about how we should deal with it. My dealer didn't send an engineering team when I brought my truck in, mine just said there's nothing we can do and sent me on my way. I wasn't yelling, I wasn't being irrational, I have an excellent relationship with my dealer, but when the truck was 24 hours old I was told to just suck it up and wait for an answer it doesnt sit right with me. So maybe try keeping your name calling and condescending attitude to yourself. Some people here post info, some are here to vent, some are trying to piece together a solution themselves. Not your place to tell ppl how to respond to issues.

Nope I sure don't, i'm in the Air Force as an aircraft mechanic and I own a auto detailing business. You think i'm happy about it either, heck no. But getting all bent out of shape and coming at someone on a forum telling them they are making excuses for FCA is no way to respond either, perhaps I too vented in my post but in a different manner, if that offended you in this grand ol age of everyone being offended then I apologize. But it doesn't surprise me that you came at me for my post considering you yourself said you wanted to sit in front of your dealer and protest for a radio issue and contact a news "fixer." Protesting your dealership isn't going to do anything but cause every dealer in the area to avoid you like the plague. At the end of the day though it really doesn't matter what you, Go Blue, or even myself have to say about the issue because none of us will get a resolution until FCA/their engineers come up with a fix. That's why i like forums because we all come from various backgrounds and sometimes we can come up with solutions far ahead of the big guys. You want an issue I am thoroughly ticked off about with FCA that there is no excuse for, their confusing as hell window stickers showing 3 different kinds of mirrors on my truck and come to find out I bought a loaded 57k bighorn that didn't come with power folding or heated side mirrors, that ticked me off as well.

On a side note, Go Blue is correct though, the radio's are not made by FCA they are third party which in lies yet another problem with getting them fixed (if they are to blame).

Last edited:

1997pgt

Reaction score
Thank you Donbaragar. I couldn't agree with your post more.
For the record, my sister is an engineer at FCA and was on the design team for the 2019 Ram. She also thinks it's completely unacceptable how long it's taken to fix this mess.
Just so everyone knows FCA doesn't make the radios themselves, they are made by a third party. I don't blame the dealers and agree it's a complete waste of time bringing it to them because they're unable to fix it.

I'm not mad that my truck had a problem. I'm mad my truck is part of a major problem that's been going on for over three months and FCA has not fixed it yet. They should've fixed this by now. Not being able to listen to the radio is kind of a big deal. Maybe not so much for 1997pgt but it is for me. I'm not patient for over 3 months, sorry.

Just out of curiosity, if your sister is an engineer for FCA what's her input on the issue? She's closer to the "action" than anyone else on here. My only assumption is that if it is in fact affected by colder temps then FCA wouldn't of known about this issue until the temps dropped in the fall, but if it is temp related why does such a small fraction of the trucks have this issue? The tech that's been working on my truck said they have a theory they are going to share with the engineers this week when they get in, they think it's actually not the radio, they think it's the rotary shift knob wiring that must share a common ground with the radio somewhere (food for thought) as the issue only begins after its taken out of park and it affects the rear camera lines, they might be onto to something since (to my knowledge) no one has had their shifter or harness for it changed out, right? And the shift knobs are redesigned/changed for the 2019's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure not happy myself especially since it took me a month to find a loaded BigHorn with the Alpine stereo in it (I love my music), perhaps all my years in the military has given me more patience than I realize, or perhaps my commute isn't long enough to really start ticking me off being in silence (it normally fixes itself after I come out from work), maybe I too went off the deep end in my comments but being a mechanic myself I know how frustrating it is to have someone demand a fix or say you aren't doing your job when you have exhausted all resources and still come up empty handed, hopefully they fix the issue soon, because if it starts getting warm out again we may never get a fix until next winter when they act up again.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Alright boys, lets keep this thread on target.

Referring to my original post, I linked a Jeep JL Wrangler thread where the 2018+ Wranglers are experiencing the EXACT same issue. There are owners, including RAMs, are confirming that it is not temperature related. I think we just started experiencing the issue in October.

Also noted in my original thread, this issue comes into light ONLY went the ignition is in RUN. Even when you're experiencing the issue, if you put your ignition into ACC, the audio stops cutting in/out. Again, the Jeeps also noted this.

I doubt it has anything to do with the rotary shift knob, but I'm not an engineer. I work in IT though, and with my years of troubleshooting experience in technology, I've noted everything I could in the original thread.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
I think that idea about a shared wire with the drive select knob has real merit. The cutout is completely controllable by going between drive and park. I'm sure they'll figure it out, if my frustration is showing its because I haven't got any of the responses you guys are getting. If I wasn't in here with ppl sharing their experiences and pushing for star cases I wouldn't have any info on this at all. Uconnect won't respond to emails at all, even to recognize that they got my email and send a boilerplate response. FCA said next to nothing and no engineer came to see my truck. All I've been told is to wait for an update. So if I came across as angrier than I should be, that's why. i just all the info from anyone I can.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I think that idea about a shared wire with the drive select knob has real merit. The cutout is completely controllable by going between drive and park. I'm sure they'll figure it out, if my frustration is showing its because I haven't got any of the responses you guys are getting. If I wasn't in here with ppl sharing their experiences and pushing for star cases I wouldn't have any info on this at all. Uconnect won't respond to emails at all, even to recognize that they got my email and send a boilerplate response. FCA said next to nothing and no engineer came to see my truck. All I've been told is to wait for an update. So if I came across as angrier than I should be, that's why. i just all the info from anyone I can.

So wait, just to confirm - you're only getting the issue (audio cutting and backup camera) when you're in drive? I get the issue regardless if I'm in PRND.

1997pgt

Reaction score

The tech noted that as well, he said they did multiple tests in different situations to see what (if anything) affected the cut out. In the brief 3 min phone convo we had he said that when the truck proximity sensors detect an obstacle near the truck it will cut out the volume so you can hear the sonar "beeping" and that was what originally prompted him to do some other tests to see if it was related to the sonar sensors/shifter. The tech said had the truck running for 5 min or so outside the shop and the radio worked flawless but the second they took it from park to drive it cut out and wouldn't stop cutting out until they turned the truck off again and restarted it, taking it back to park once the issue started wouldn't resolve it.

I completely get where you're coming from Donbaragar, being left in the dark and having a dealership that doesn't actively engage/try to help is about the most frustrating thing you could deal with aside from a bum radio. Perhaps that's why i'm not as upset (yet) about it all, they have been very active in keeping me updated and actually calling me to ask questions on if it has come back, what was the scenario when It did (climate, location, weather, etc).

1997pgt

Reaction score
So wait, just to confirm - you're only getting the issue (audio cutting and backup camera) when you're in drive? I get the issue regardless if I'm in PRND.

So if you start your truck up in the morning or whenever it actually acts up, it'll start immediately? Even before you put it in drive/reverse?

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Yeah I think so. I'll have to double check but when I first get in and start it the radio works and always cuts out about 3-5 seconds after I put it in any gear. ACC mode 100% of the time works. Maybe it still happens in park just takes longer than I wait. But typically I can start it and get radio until I select a drive mode.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Alright boys, lets keep this thread on target.

Referring to my original post, I linked a Jeep JL Wrangler thread where the 2018+ Wranglers are experiencing the EXACT same issue. There are owners, including RAMs, are confirming that it is not temperature related. I think we just started experiencing the issue in October.

Also noted in my original thread, this issue comes into light ONLY went the ignition is in RUN. Even when you're experiencing the issue, if you put your ignition into ACC, the audio stops cutting in/out. Again, the Jeeps also noted this.

I doubt it has anything to do with the rotary shift knob, but I'm not an engineer. I work in IT though, and with my years of troubleshooting experience in technology, I've noted everything I could in the original thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the JL's use an "old school" gated shifter not a rotary knob like the RAM's right? If so, they may share similar switches/wiring but the hardware itself would be different so we could eliminate the shifter (to an extent). I wonder if there's a cut out switch/momentary contact made when you put the vehicle in RUN vs ACC that controls the audio, similar to most cars when you first start them up and they beep, chime, ding etc. and mute the audio until it runs through its "system check?" Since it's so random and not every RAM/Jeep is affected by this issue it makes me want to say that it's not software related as we are all running the same software. I'm beginning to think it has to be a sensor/wiring issue and perhaps with driving it's causing something to lose a ground or its contact and triggering it. That would explain why it'll work as advertised when you drive it to the store but when you come out it'll act up- - with a lot of cars you can start them and remove the actual battery out from under the hood and the alternator will keep it running, you just won't be able to restart it obviously once you turn it off, I'm thinking the issue is similar. Once a contact/switch is made it'll continue to operate fine until you break it (turn the truck off) then if it's no longer made when you start it the issues will begin. I'm just thinking out loud, opinions?

When the engineering team gets here Monday I plan on asking them a ton of questions about what their theories are or what they plan on doing to my truck, if they are clueless (which I hope they aren't) I'll mention everything you guys have brought up so far to them. With any luck I'll hopefully have some decent info to share on Monday.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
So if you start your truck up in the morning or whenever it actually acts up, it'll start immediately? Even before you put it in drive/reverse?

Yes. As soon as I start the truck and ignition in RUN, the issue will appear immediately. If the issue is happening, and I put the ignition into ACC, the audio stops cutting in/out. I don't have access to the backup camera since its in ACC. This is all before even touching the shift knob. Changing the shift knob to any gear doesn't change anything for me.

This whole time I thought that was everyone's issue. I didn't know you guys were experiencing it while in drive or park. This opens a whole new avenue.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Yes. As soon as I start the truck and ignition in RUN, the issue will appear immediately. If the issue is happening, and I put the ignition into ACC, the audio stops cutting in/out. I don't have access to the backup camera since its in ACC. This is all before even touching the shift knob. Changing the shift knob to any gear doesn't change anything for me.

This whole time I thought that was everyone's issue. I didn't know you guys were experiencing it while in drive or park. This opens a whole new avenue.

That’s good info, yours is behaving completely different from mine then. With mine it only starts once I move the shifter out of park then it’ll keep doing it until you turn the truck back off and restart it. If mine acts up again I’ll take a better video of it than what i currently have, thankfully it’s been good for the last week or so. The tech I have told me the first time I went in that there are several STAR cases where people completely lose the backup camera (not just the lines) when the radio goes out, you experience that at all? Mine did a white screen the first time but once I cycled the shifter from park to reverse it came back but without the guide lines.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Does your radio work as soon as you shut off and on again? Mine has to be off for 45 minutes or so it seems.

d_THRILL

Reaction score

I've really missed out on some of the comments here lol. Popcorn worthy. Glad everyone has calmed down and back to figuring this out together. As it relates to the rotary shifter theory, I'm with you Rick. When the bug strikes me it's instantaneous on start. Doesn't matter if I shift gears. For a while, I was actually throwing it in reverse immediately after starting the truck before the Uconnect screen booted up in hopes to catch the reverse guidelines before everything booted. This worked for a while until it didn't. On another note, I'm learning that not only RAMS and Jeeps are limited to the Uconnect bug, but it's pretty much any Uconnect system put in a Chrysler vehicle. The Chrysler Pacifica is having similar Uconnect issues right now. Don't ask me why I'm looking at a minivan....

Yes it’s frustrating but at the same time I give them more credit for waiting and coming up with a proper fix vs jumping the gun and telling dealers to change part “x” as a shot in the dark and it not working. Disassembling dozens of trucks and throwing random parts at them will obviously cause a lot of unwanted rattles/fitment issues in the future. My dealer told me FCA told dealers to wait for a fix from their end/engineers vs dealers playing doctor in house but it seems a lot of dealers are just throwing parts at trucks anyway hoping they can come up with a solution, I can only assume it’s because it would look good for the dealer that came up with a legitimate fix for it. My dealer however refuses to treat customer trucks as lab rats and forced engineering to fly in and fix it themselves so I have to give my dealer credit for that.

@1997pgt not to go down this road that has already been hashed out, but I have to point out that my truck has been at the dealer for weeks (as anyone who reads this thread knows) and it's the FCA engineering team throwing parts at my truck, NOT the dealership. FCA has literally thrown everything but the kitchen sink at my truck. I'm on my third amp. The mechanics at the dealer only do what they are told to do by FCA. At least that's the case for my truck. I suppose if you don't have FCA involved the dealer might try to do something on their own but I find it unlikely given any warranty replacement parts must be approved by FCA. I'm excited the team is flying in to be hands-on with your truck. Please keep us posted.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Does your radio work as soon as you shut off and on again? Mine has to be off for 45 minutes or so it seems.

Yes, but I have to open and close the driver door then restart it, once you open the door after turning off it’ll kill the power to the radio, after that It’ll work perfect again until I take the truck out of park.

1997pgt

Reaction score
I've really missed out on some of the comments here lol. Popcorn worthy. Glad everyone has calmed down and back to figuring this out together. As it relates to the rotary shifter theory, I'm with you Rick. When the bug strikes me it's instantaneous on start. Doesn't matter if I shift gears. For a while, I was actually throwing it in reverse immediately after starting the truck before the Uconnect screen booted up in hopes to catch the reverse guidelines before everything booted. This worked for a while until it didn't. On another note, I'm learning that not only RAMS and Jeeps are limited to the Uconnect bug, but it's pretty much any Uconnect system put in a Chrysler vehicle. The Chrysler Pacifica is having similar Uconnect issues right now. Don't ask me why I'm looking at a minivan....

@1997pgt not to go down this road that has already been hashed out, but I have to point out that my truck has been at the dealer for weeks (as anyone who reads this thread knows) and it's the FCA engineering team throwing parts at my truck, NOT the dealership. FCA has literally thrown everything but the kitchen sink at my truck. I'm on my third amp. The mechanics at the dealer only do what they are told to do by FCA. At least that's the case for my truck. I suppose if you don't have FCA involved the dealer might try to do something on their own but I find it unlikely given any warranty replacement parts must be approved by FCA. I'm excited the team is flying in to be hands-on with your truck. Please keep us posted.

Tensions rise when there's money and defective products involved lol. Well that’s good and bad news all in one, if it’s widespread throughout the Chrysler line up it may in fact be a Uconnect issue, I highly doubt the RAM's, Wranglers and Pacifica's (don't do it lol) use the exact same wiring harnesses/radios though. Sorry to hear yours has been a test subject also. You are correct FCA has to approve the parts before they can order/install them, my tech had mentioned that a lot of times it’s just a bean counter that punches the green go ahead button for the dealers and they don’t typically look too far into the actual issue, more or less just verify the information is correct.

I wonder why the dealers/FCA are so hell bent on it being a bad amp? That seems to be the first thing they throw at everyone's truck and the vast majority of people say the problem comes back almost immediately. Do you know if they've checked the shifter wiring harness/radio harness on yours? Really disheartening though hearing they've been messing with yours for a while and are still coming up empty, fingers crossed i'll have something to offer everyone here on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online