5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Is there anyone in here with the 8.4 Nav that Isn't experiencing these issues? I am just wondering, and I see that guys tried to start a thing to see what software everyone was running..etc. As far as I can tell the Nov 5 TSB doesn't apply to 8.4 Nav units? As per Ric3boy, I can say that There is definately a newer Software version out, but it doesn't fix anything..as he said that the dealer told him the latest was 18.20.2e?
See the attached pic, as My software is showing as 18.23.29. But it still has a ton of glitches.

1. USB Ports will charge, but no devices are recognized by the deck. SO of course Carplay etc will not work. The only fix for this seems to be letting the truck sit turned off for an undetermined amount of time.

2. No Audio once in a while, where pressing the source button on the back of the steering wheel will smarten it up.

3. Audio cutting in and out on all sources, and when this happens, the backup camera also quits, sometimes with a blue screen, and sometimes with a black screen. ANd the only way I have found to correct this is to again let the truck sit for a while turned off as well....usually around 20 minutes does the trick. Definately inconvenient thats for sure......
IMG_1867.jpg

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Is there anyone in here with the 8.4 Nav that Isn't experiencing these issues? I am just wondering, and I see that guys tried to start a thing to see what software everyone was running..etc. As far as I can tell the Nov 5 TSB doesn't apply to 8.4 Nav units? As per Ric3boy, I can say that There is definately a newer Software version out, but it doesn't fix anything..as he said that the dealer told him the latest was 18.20.2e?
See the attached pic, as My software is showing as 18.23.29. But it still has a ton of glitches.

1. USB Ports will charge, but no devices are recognized by the deck. SO of course Carplay etc will not work. The only fix for this seems to be letting the truck sit turned off for an undetermined amount of time.

2. No Audio once in a while, where pressing the source button on the back of the steering wheel will smarten it up.

3. Audio cutting in and out on all sources, and when this happens, the backup camera also quits, sometimes with a blue screen, and sometimes with a black screen. ANd the only way I have found to correct this is to again let the truck sit for a while turned off as well....usually around 20 minutes does the trick. Definately inconvenient thats for sure......
View attachment 10394

Interesting. Looks like the software and application versions are both newer than mine. I'll have to double check the Hardware Part Number to see if that matches up with mine.

Would you happen to know the build date on your truck? Any chance was your system recently updated? If so, when and by whom?

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Rick, I'm scheduled for recall repair next Thursday for the ABS module on my truck. I mentioned having them look at the TSB you posted regarding my 12.1'' system so they are going to tackle that too. I'll let you know how I make out. Happened to me again this morning on the way to work. Last time before that was last week.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've been troubleshooting for nearly 2 months on this, and I think I may have found a workaround. I've disabled the "Active Park Guidelines". Its been issue free for the past 3 days. I will update again if the issue returns.

This may be the work around until FCA/uConnect gets their act together to resolve this issue, whether it be a TSB, software/firmware update, root cause analysis.

patsfan

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've been troubleshooting for nearly 2 months on this, and I think I may have found a workaround. I've disabled the "Active Park Guidelines". Its been issue free for the past 3 days. I will update again if the issue returns.

This may be the work around until FCA/uConnect gets their act together to resolve this issue, whether it be a TSB, software/firmware update, root cause analysis.

Thanks I'll have to try this. I bought mine at the end of October and all was good until last month. I hope this works as it's annoying as hell driving with no music

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like the software and application versions are both newer than mine. I'll have to double check the Hardware Part Number to see if that matches up with mine.

Would you happen to know the build date on your truck? Any chance was your system recently updated? If so, when and by whom?

My truck was Manufactured in May of 2018, I bought it in October, and the truck's Uconnect did it's own over the air update around the first week in November. My dealer says that they don't update the units with the Wifi/Cellular, and that all updates for these units are pushed by "Uconnect" "over the air".

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks I'll have to try this. I bought mine at the end of October and all was good until last month. I hope this works as it's annoying as hell driving with no music

Just wanted to update - this theory doesn't work. I'm still receiving the audio cutting in/out issue.

My truck was Manufactured in May of 2018, I bought it in October, and the truck's Uconnect did it's own over the air update around the first week in November. My dealer says that they don't update the units with the Wifi/Cellular, and that all updates for these units are pushed by "Uconnect" "over the air".

I checked my HW part number and it is identical to yours. I noticed that the Application version is different as well, where mine is CANADA-IR-SBX-21.9.0-20180516-I09V

My dealer said the same thing, where they don't perform updates as they are done OTA via uConnect. Looking through the existing TSBs we have posted here on the forum, that seems to be the process. Any vehicle without the built-in cellular connection has to be manually updated via USB. While others are OTA only.

I've been also looking through the JL Wrangler forum (since they have the same radio and issues as we do), some members are reporting that having their radio and/or amp replaced doesn't resolve the issue. I suspect because the replacement radios are still using the software/firmware with the issue. Another member stated that after speaking with an FCA rep (through their case ID they escalated), we should expect an OTA update sometime in January. Another member also stated that after having their battery load tested and charged, the issue completely went away (1 week and counting so far).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a voltage issue. Our engines rev slightly higher to warm up in colder weather. Not enough juice in the battery can cause random issues with electronics.

This is frustrating to say the least. Brand new truck with issues already.

Last edited:

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Regarding the audio cutting in/out issue. I was 20 minutes into a 2 hour trip, and pulled over for gas. Shut the truck off to fuel, and when I restarted, ended up with the no reverse camera and audio on all sources cutting in and out issue. I didn't have time to sit and wait for 20-30 minutes with the truck shut off for the issue to clear itself. I pulled over, shut the truck off, slid the seat forward, and unplugged the main power harness from the anc/amp module (the larger one with the white plug, closest to the rear of the truck), waited a couple seconds, and plugged it back in. Started the truck and all was fine... reverse camera was back to working, and no more audio cut out. Beats waiting for the unit to reset, and works as a temp fix until Uconnect and Ram figure it out. I will update when my truck does this again, and if doing what I did resets the issue again, just to make sure that it wasn't coincidence.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Regarding the audio cutting in/out issue. I was 20 minutes into a 2 hour trip, and pulled over for gas. Shut the truck off to fuel, and when I restarted, ended up with the no reverse camera and audio on all sources cutting in and out issue. I didn't have time to sit and wait for 20-30 minutes with the truck shut off for the issue to clear itself. I pulled over, shut the truck off, slid the seat forward, and unplugged the main power harness from the anc/amp module (the larger one with the white plug, closest to the rear of the truck), waited a couple seconds, and plugged it back in. Started the truck and all was fine... reverse camera was back to working, and no more audio cut out. Beats waiting for the unit to reset, and works as a temp fix until Uconnect and Ram figure it out. I will update when my truck does this again, and if doing what I did resets the issue again, just to make sure that it wasn't coincidence.
Great! Can you post a pick of the amp and wire? Next time you’re down there...

RIC3BOY

Reaction score

Awesome! I’ll give this a try the next time it happens (which happens nearly every day). Thanks for the advice.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Rick, I'm scheduled for recall repair next Thursday for the ABS module on my truck. I mentioned having them look at the TSB you posted regarding my 12.1'' system so they are going to tackle that too. I'll let you know how I make out. Happened to me again this morning on the way to work. Last time before that was last week.

Hey Rick, just an update on my end on this. I brought the truck in but the TSB you shared with me that I shared with them was not for my truck, unfortunately. The dealer said they reset my system to factory settings but I can confirm that did nothing other than annoy me that I had to reprogram all my saved settings. It happened to also prompt me to resync my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I declined thinking let me drive a while without pairing my phone and see if that does anything. I got about a week with no issues but they started again yesterday. So since that happened, I paired my phone via Bluetooth knowing that was not the cause. Ironically, I've been in contact with FCA about my issue (which is also yours, but on a different unit) after posting a negative review regarding my system. They contacted me regarding the review and are opening a star case for my truck to try and figure out what's going on. I pointed them to my thread, as well as yours, and pointed out the Jeep issues that you mentioned as well. Trying to educate them as much as possible so they can get right to it. Hopefully, we can get some answers and a resolution. I'll keep you posted. (also putting this update under my OP.)

TimG

Reaction score
d_THRILL, I'm getting stonewalled by FCA/uConnect for a different issue, but can you let me know where you left them a negative comment? I'm getting nowhere trying to get my issue resolved. Thanks!

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Thanks @d_THRILL for the update. In the Jeep forum there are two active threads for the same issue, and one of the members pointed out that after having their dealer load test and charge their battery, the issue has completely disappeared. It’s been since December 10 since they last saw the issue.

I’m debating on purchasing a battery tender to see if I can fully charge my battery. Apparently the issue is since our vehicles are new and sat on dealer lots for an extended period of time, the batteries may have not been prepped properly during the PDI process.

I’ll update to see if this resolves the issue. I’m thinking the batteries aren’t fully charged and our alternators can’t achieve full charge for the battery (even during long drives).

d_THRILL

Reaction score
d_THRILL, I'm getting stonewalled by FCA/uConnect for a different issue, but can you let me know where you left them a negative comment? I'm getting nowhere trying to get my issue resolved. Thanks!

I honestly can't remember which survey it was, but since I bought the truck I'm constantly getting emails asking me to complete surveys. Same thing after bringing my truck to the dealer for any kind of service or warranty work. So I responded to one of those surveys and complained about this very issue. The response I got was:

Hello, this is Sue from Ram Uconnect. Further to my voicemail, I am following up regarding a recent survey you filled out regarding your 2019 Ram Truck. If you require assistance with regards to your Uconnect system please reply to this email or give me a call at 800-826-6632 Ext. 302 0729.

Thank you

Sue

Sue's email address is [email protected]

In the Jeep forum there are two active threads for the same issue, and one of the members pointed out that after having their dealer load test and charge their battery, the issue has completely disappeared. It’s been since December 10 since they last saw the issue.

I'll definitely relay that to Sue who is looking into this. Thanks for the info. You don't happen to have a link to those posts, do you? No rush.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Nevermind, Rick. I found the Jeep post with your comment and Brent's reply here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/page-9

My question though would be, even if our vehicles sat for a while prior to purchase, wouldn't driving them, especially on long hauls, after a while fully recharge our battery? Or are you saying because they sat for so long prior to sale that there's an issue with the alternators fully charging the batteries, in cold weather, before and after we park therefore causing a lower voltage required to power the UConnect system?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Nevermind, Rick. I found the Jeep post with your comment and Brent's reply here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/page-9

My question though would be, even if our vehicles sat for a while prior to purchase, wouldn't driving them, especially on long hauls, after a while fully recharge our battery? Or are you saying because they sat for so long prior to sale that there's an issue with the alternators fully charging the batteries, in cold weather, before and after we park therefore causing a lower voltage required to power the UConnect system?

I think there’s something wrong with the charging system. Brent just replied saying the issue returned, 18 days since having the battery charged and tested. One thing to note is that colder weather returned for him. We all know what happens to batteries in cold weather.

I’ll be hooking up a battery tender soon to see if it resolves it. I get the issue nearly everyday, so if I’m on a tender and it goes away we may be onto something.

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Ric3boy, My truck has only done this to me 5-6 times since buying it in October. I'd be pulling my hair out if my truck did it almost every day. If you think it is battery related, do you have a multimeter with min/max settings on it, this way you could log what your voltages are before/during/after crank to see if it is actually browning out the amp module and causing the issue. I am eventually going to be swapping my factory battery out with an aftermarket AGM battery, and see if that makes the issue go away completely. And it was -22 deg C/ or -8 deg F this morning here, and no issue today.. I think I will do tests with my battery if I have time to compare voltage during crank with the stock vs a new AGM when I get one.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Ric3boy, My truck has only done this to me 5-6 times since buying it in October. I'd be pulling my hair out if my truck did it almost every day. If you think it is battery related, do you have a multimeter with min/max settings on it, this way you could log what your voltages are before/during/after crank to see if it is actually browning out the amp module and causing the issue. I am eventually going to be swapping my factory battery out with an aftermarket AGM battery, and see if that makes the issue go away completely. And it was -22 deg C/ or -8 deg F this morning here, and no issue today.. I think I will do tests with my battery if I have time to compare voltage during crank with the stock vs a new AGM when I get one.

I was actually just speaking to a friend, and he mentioned the same thing. Test the battery with a multimeter during OFF, ACC and RUN ignition stages.

I just tested now, no issue. Will update again with values when the issue returns.

NO ISSUE PRESENT
OFF: 12.1
ACC: 11.9
RUN: 14.8

ISSUE PRESENT
OFF: TBD
ACC: TBD
RUN: TBD

And yes, I've been pulling my hair out on this situation. I'm torn between it being a software issue or a voltage issue. I still do plan on upgrading my battery as well. Also, in the owners manual it shows fuse F12 (clear 25a) as "Mod Audio Amplifier / Active Noise Cancellation / SW Inverter", so if the issue returns I might pull the fuse to see if it resets the amp. Might be easier than disconnecting the harness from the amp itself from underneath the seat.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
FWIW, accessing the internal panel for the fuses is annoying. There is a plastic panel being held by 2 bolts from underneath the steering wheel column.

From all the vehicles I’ve owned, the internal fuse panel is usually accessible without any tools.

Users who are viewing this thread