5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

Jspaulding

Reaction score
Curious - do you have any phones connected via Bluetooth or CarPlay / Android Auto? If so, what phone and what OS version?

Speaking with a Wrangler member right now, looks like it may be phone/Bluetooth related.
I have my phone connected Bluetooth and CarPlay. I have the latest version of IOS not sure what version I have on the truck. I will check that and get back to you. How do you find that information?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I have my phone connected Bluetooth and CarPlay. I have the latest version of IOS not sure what version I have on the truck. I will check that and get back to you. How do you find that information?

Don't worry about it, the issue re-appeared after testing. Its not Bluetooth or iOS related.

At this moment, I really think its software related (either AMP/ANC flash or uConnect version). I did just reseat multiple fuses in the Internal Power Distribution Center (underneath the steering wheel, remove 2 x 7mm screws and pull the panel to reveal the IPDC). Someone did note that in the Wrangler forum (reseating fuses) and their issue went away - but I never heard a reply back since.

Jspaulding

Reaction score
Don't worry about it, the issue re-appeared after testing. Its not Bluetooth or iOS related.

At this moment, I really think its software related (either AMP/ANC flash or uConnect version). I did just reseat multiple fuses in the Internal Power Distribution Center (underneath the steering wheel, remove 2 x 7mm screws and pull the panel to reveal the IPDC). Someone did note that in the Wrangler forum (reseating fuses) and their issue went away - but I never heard a reply back since.
Good to know. I’ll try checking my fuses tomorrow.

By the way. Same temperature this morning as yesterday and when I started my truck the stereo played fine. Only thing different was instarted the truck by the remote yesterday and by the button on the dash this morning. I don’t know if that made any difference or if you’ve tried that or not. I’d hate to have the ability to warm up the truck in cold weather just to not be able to listen to the radio after but if that’s what it takes until we can figure it out I guess I’ll do that.

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
So, another interesting twist. I remote started my truck, and was in the house on the phone. When I left the house and got into the truck pressing the start button, the call transferred to uconnect. I stayed in the driveway and finished the call. Once I hung up, I threw the truck in reverse, and the camera was blue, so of course there was the audio cut out issue as well. However, I could still place a call on my phone, and the phone audio did not cut out. As soon as I hung up though audio cut outs on any source except during a handsfree call.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Good to know. I’ll try checking my fuses tomorrow.

By the way. Same temperature this morning as yesterday and when I started my truck the stereo played fine. Only thing different was instarted the truck by the remote yesterday and by the button on the dash this morning. I don’t know if that made any difference or if you’ve tried that or not. I’d hate to have the ability to warm up the truck in cold weather just to not be able to listen to the radio after but if that’s what it takes until we can figure it out I guess I’ll do that.

It’s not remote start, went down that troubleshooting hole as well. It’s not temperature related either, as I’ve had multiple starts in cold weather, either by remote or ignition button.

Check your fuses. Press them in good. I noticed quite a few (both micro and cartridge type) that were quite loose.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
So, another interesting twist. I remote started my truck, and was in the house on the phone. When I left the house and got into the truck pressing the start button, the call transferred to uconnect. I stayed in the driveway and finished the call. Once I hung up, I threw the truck in reverse, and the camera was blue, so of course there was the audio cut out issue as well. However, I could still place a call on my phone, and the phone audio did not cut out. As soon as I hung up though audio cut outs on any source except during a handsfree call.

Bluetooth hands free never cut out for me, but Bluetooth audio streaming did.

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Bluetooth hands free never cut out for me, but Bluetooth audio streaming did.
The weird part about this, is that the call would be using the amplifier/anc module to play the audio to the speakers, so you would think this should rule out any hardware issue with the amplifier unit, as well as a temperature issue, as the audio is 100 percent ok during a call. I wonder if the ANC is disabled during a call?. If Chrysler engineers do pay attention to this thread, this would be a very good starting point. What behavior of the sound system/anc/amp module is different during a call vs playing music? I wonder if there is a data, or software glitch, or error related to the amp that happens from time to time on the can bus related to the muting circuit in the amplifier for audio sources, that causes this cut in/out issue. Or if the amplifier is designed to allow a call to be placed even with errors present vs normal audio playback. Maybe I'm over thinking this all....hahah.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
The weird part about this, is that the call would be using the amplifier/anc module to play the audio to the speakers, so you would think this should rule out any hardware issue with the amplifier unit, as well as a temperature issue, as the audio is 100 percent ok during a call. I wonder if the ANC is disabled during a call?. If Chrysler engineers do pay attention to this thread, this would be a very good starting point. What behavior of the sound system/anc/amp module is different during a call vs playing music? I wonder if there is a data, or software glitch, or error related to the amp that happens from time to time on the can bus related to the muting circuit in the amplifier for audio sources, that causes this cut in/out issue. Or if the amplifier is designed to allow a call to be placed even with errors present vs normal audio playback. Maybe I'm over thinking this all....hahah.

Trust me, you’re not overthinking it at all! That’s very good troubleshooting. I figured the same thing - music comes from the amp, and the ANC module is built into the amp. I believe ANC works by modulating frequencies to counter others, such as road noise, picked up by the mics in the overhead liner. So it would make sense that music cuts in/out, while the ANC sends those signals.

I bet there’s something wrong with the ANC firmware/software. There was a TSB for it before for a flash update, but it was only for the HK system (the amps for the 9 and 19 speakers are different).

d_THRILL

Reaction score
VENT - Day 4 of my truck being in the shop and me having very little knowledge as to what they've been up to.... I got a call today stating "the mechanic noticed you have a cord plugged into one of the outlets (USB-C) and he's talking to Chrysler on the phone right now trying to figure out your issue. Does the issue you're experiencing happen when you use that cord to plug something in?" I guess pointing them to this thread, the other thread, and the jeep threads, as well as all the troubleshooting we've all done that I mentioned to them personally, went in one ear and out the other.

Last edited:

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
VENT - Day 4 of my truck being in the shop and me having very little knowledge as to what they've been up to.... I got a call today stating "the mechanic noticed you have a cord plugged into one of the outlets (USB-C) and he's talking to Chrysler on the phone right now trying to figure out your issue. Does the issue you're experiencing happen when you use that cord to plug something in?" I guess pointing them to this thread, the other thread, and the jeep threads, as well as all the troubleshooting we've all done that I mentioned to them personally, went in one ear and out the other. 4 DAYS AND THAT'S WHAT YOU ASK ME?! I don't see them getting to the bottom of this any time soon.

@RamCares - I’ve been researching this issue for nearly as long as I’ve owned my brand new 2019 RAM. Issues like this, among RAM and other FCA brands alike (specifically Jeep Wranglers in this case) is what initially scared me away from FCA products in the beginning. Regardless of how much money we spent on our brand new trucks, there is a level of expectation that these trucks should work as designed.

There seems to be a lapse of communication between FCA engineering, customer support, and the dealership network. Listen to your customers, a lot of us are doing the troubleshooting for you - only for us to be ignored.

Needless to say, as a first time FCA customer, this isn’t leaving any confidence whatsoever in the brand. If I’ve had this issue in any of my previous vehicles they would have been addressed. There wouldn’t be multiple forum threads and posts filled with questions, complaints, and frustration from your customers.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Ok boys, been following this message board for a while and checking almost daily. Took my truck in today to have them see the issue first hand and went through everything. First they wanted to send me away with the same dumb answers, but I got a good tech who looked into it again. A new TSB came out Jan 12 2019 addressing all these issues. He wouldn't give me the full TSB be I did get the number. 08-003-19, hope someone here can pull the full details. I have nav so they couldn't apply it for me, but the over the air update should be coming soon, I'd expect anyways. Fingers crossed this is the end, cause I love everything else about the truck.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
Here's what they could give me. I'm sure someone here can get the full story. Calling FCA Canada tomorrow to try and get a update release date.

Attachments

• 15475099482915882157448347199369.jpg
    15475099482915882157448347199369.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Ok boys, been following this message board for a while and checking almost daily. Took my truck in today to have them see the issue first hand and went through everything. First they wanted to send me away with the same dumb answers, but I got a good tech who looked into it again. A new TSB came out Jan 12 2019 addressing all these issues. He wouldn't give me the full TSB be I did get the number. 08-003-19, hope someone here can pull the full details. I have nav so they couldn't apply it for me, but the over the air update should be coming soon, I'd expect anyways. Fingers crossed this is the end, cause I love everything else about the truck.

Are you 8.4 or 12 inch screen?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Here's what they could give me. I'm sure someone here can get the full story. Calling FCA Canada tomorrow to try and get a update release date.

Thanks for chiming in @Donbaragar . This gives a bit of hope that this will be resolved sooner than later. I'm guessing FCA did know about the issue, since they addressed it in an earlier TSB back in November, but it only applied to 8.4" screens without nav. Guess it took them a bit longer to address it to 8.4C and 12.1 models, probably because they have to stage the deployment over OTA (my best guess anyway, working in IT).

I've noted the TSB and I'll call my dealer to see if they can give any information.

Donbaragar

Reaction score
From what I did see this update will apply to both, I cant guarantee that, but the tsb had pages in the back detailing the instructions for how to load it to a USB and update manually. Like everyone has mentioned, if you have the connected model they cant manually update, so fingers crossed one of these days soon we will all be getting notices that an update is ready on our screens.

Oh and when i said earlier that it addresses all our issues, I should be more specific. The tech pointed out that it corrects: Radio intermittent cut out, No lines on back up camera, android auto not being recognized: and a host of other things I couldn't see but were all listed on the TSB. Very much looking forward to seeing the entire document if anyone can get it.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find any more info. If someone can get the update, I'd love to see it as well. Anyone have an idea of the push date for it? Will it change the software revision number to know it's completed?

d_THRILL

Reaction score
My truck is still at the shop under a STAR case. But I got a message from the service advisor that says "EVERYTHING IS DONE WITH YOUR TRUCK. WE ARE TESTING IT TODAY AND TOMORROW TO SEE IF THE UPGRADES WORKED. HOPEFULLY WILL HAVE IT BACK TO YOU TOMORROW." I replied and said I'm interested to know what was done. I'm sure I'll get an explanation when I go to pick the truck up tomorrow. I'll also check in with Sue at FCA who is overseeing this STAR case to see what was done. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
UPDATE - Shop still has my truck and they continue to work on it with STAR reps at Chrysler. The upgrades they attempted on Wednesday didn't work. Shortly after I posted that on Wednesday, they texted me to say the upgrades didn't work. Today, they texted me and said they had to order a part which won't be here until Monday. I asked what was ordered as I thought we were dealing with a software problem. They told me they had to order a part for the amplifier. I'll check in with you guys next week.

Users who are viewing this thread