5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

ldoh

Reaction score
Did that twice with the same result...no repair.

The first time I called RAM Cares after the I got the truck back and the second time I opened my case before the truck went in. I also told them to open a STAR Case if they weren't going to do the repair (so they could talk directly with RAM Engineering) and that went nowhere also.

Both times the dealer said no and Stellantis Customer Care said they agreed with the dealer. I'm at 44K miles now (4 visits for poor A/C under basic warranty and 1 visit under my ESP) and do not have the time to visit each dealership and pay them $100 and hope they are the ones that tell me they'll do the TSB. I'll save that cash and roll it into some ceramic tint sometime this summer and move on with my life.

I saw a thread where someone was thanking RAM Cares for their help and support for their issue so there's at least one person they've helped.

Something doesn't add up. Why would the dealer and RAM customer care say no? They must have given a reason. Does your production date/VIN fall within the guidelines?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up. Why would the dealer and RAM customer care say no? They must have given a reason. Does your production date/VIN fall within the guidelines?
It's a 2019 built in December 2018 so definitely falls within the date range.

The truck passes the "cooldown test". Yes, I know it doesn't say that has to be done. I even gave them a copy of the TSB with the applicable portions highlighted (symptoms and billing).

The dealership has been great on everything else I've brought it in for (9 visits with multiple concerns each time) and don't know what the sticking point is for them, especially when it's a job they can easily bill Stellantis for. As for Customer Care I've had zero support from corporate all three times I reached out and started a case.

Since I have an ESP I'm not going to burn any bridges with them and belabor the point. If corporate won't provide me any support I'm not going to keep wasting a day (and $100) in hopes of a different outcome.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did that twice with the same result...no repair.

The first time I called RAM Cares after the I got the truck back and the second time I opened my case before the truck went in. I also told them to open a STAR Case if they weren't going to do the repair (so they could talk directly with RAM Engineering) and that went nowhere also.

Both times the dealer said no and Stellantis Customer Care said they agreed with the dealer. I'm at 44K miles now (4 visits for poor A/C under basic warranty and 1 visit under my ESP) and do not have the time to visit each dealership and pay them $100 and hope they are the ones that tell me they'll do the TSB. I'll save that cash and roll it into some ceramic tint sometime this summer and move on with my life.

I saw a thread where someone was thanking RAM Cares for their help and support for their issue so there's at least one person they've helped.

It's a 2019 built in December 2018 so definitely falls within the date range.

The truck passes the "cooldown test". Yes, I know it doesn't say that has to be done. I even gave them a copy of the TSB with the applicable portions highlighted (symptoms and billing).

The dealership has been great on everything else I've brought it in for (9 visits with multiple concerns each time) and don't know what the sticking point is for them, especially when it's a job they can easily bill Stellantis for. As for Customer Care I've had zero support from corporate all three times I reached out and started a case.

Since I have an ESP I'm not going to burn any bridges with them and belabor the point. If corporate won't provide me any support I'm not going to keep wasting a day (and $100) in hopes of a different outcome.

I don't understand why the dealer is charging you $100 to (I'm assuming) diagnose a complaint on a warranty vehicle.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
currently noticing during hot days my ac aint as cold as my sisters jeep and hyundai elantra 😂😂🥴 ac on max and i can tolerate it all day blowing but not in the other cars

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand why the dealer is charging you $100 to (I'm assuming) diagnose a complaint on a warranty vehicle.

MaxCare isn’t a warranty, it’s a service contract with a per visit deductible

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn, after reading these 17 pages and hearing about the parts backlogs I'm more glad I sold it. Here I had been thinking that I could've just rolled into my local dealer and gotten this done about 30 days ago.

Kinda' like the leaking 2014' and 2015 oil flter assemblies on the Pentsars, massive parts backorders.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Kinda' like the leaking 2014' and 2015 oil flter assemblies on the Pentsars, massive parts backorders.
Come on now... those never leak.....lol.

There are now aftermarket companies that make them so it’s actually better now (availability wise). For a little while earlier this year, they went on backorder again and dealers were keeping them for service customers only.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Took my truck in yesterday. To be honest, I have a feeling that at least in the northern climates techs up here may have glossed over this one since it got issued in Nov. when AC is not in big demand. Had a bit of a discussion with the actual tech about it.

Parts are on order, and will be bringing it back in once the parts arrive. Not that I don't trust the dealership (actually have a good relationship with them), but with some people reporting damage during the fix, I'm going to photograph the hell out of my interior before it goes in.

bassadict69

Reaction score
How do we contact Ramcares?

I have an appointment to take my 2019 to the dealer next Wednesday...fingers crossed!

kevlarr

Reaction score
To piggyback on other comments, I would recommend the following:

1. Schedule your appointment with your dealer.
2. Contact RamCares before your appointment! Let them know you plan on taking your truck in for the TSB and you want to make sure it is performed.
3. Print out 2 copies of the TSB. Give one to your advisor when you check in and leave the other one in clear site on your passenger seat so the technician sees it/has a copy. Highlight the part that talks about moving forward with the repair of customer has complaint.

Outside of Autonation Spring being WAY off on their time of completion (was told 3-4 days after appointment check in for them to actually look at it when it actually took 10 days!), they did a good job and did not give any hassle about doing it. I notice a difference in air flow from the vents as well as the actual temperature inside the cabin. RamCares also provided me with 3 complimentary oil change and tire rotations (I didn’t complain or cause a fuss, they simply did it because of how long it took so I appreciate that). Autonation also stepped in and is offering me a discount on getting my front windows tinted. So overall am happy with the results with the procedure, RamCares and Autonation Spring.

Main thing is be prepared when you go in. Have RamCares in your corner from the beginning and you will be just fine. I would recommend getting this done ASAP if you are due for it. Once the summer is here, this TSB will be harder to have performed as each dealer is only allowed to order 2 revised heater boxes a week.
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm a new Ram 1500 owner and also new to this forum. Can you provide the TSB number or provide a link where I can find it? Thanks in advance!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm a new Ram 1500 owner and also new to this forum. Can you provide the TSB number or provide a link where I can find it? Thanks in advance!
Not to be a jerk but the TSB number is in the title of this thread (24-001-20) and a copy of the TSB is on page 1 of this thread (post #16 by donusaf):

Mr.G

Reaction score
Rather than have my 2020 Limited torn apart by some dealer and going through all the hassel leaving the truck, waiting for parts and potential damage I installed the AC hack. Before the lowest temp at drivers side vent was 58, after hack 40. I'm happy with that. 20 minutes to install.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rather than have my 2020 Limited torn apart by some dealer and going through all the hassel leaving the truck, waiting for parts and potential damage I installed the AC hack. Before the lowest temp at drivers side vent was 58, after hack 40. I'm happy with that. 20 minutes to install.
was it simple and easy?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
was it simple and easy?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 2021, so this doesn't affect me. But...

Instead of ball valve to shut off the radiator flow (which is a fine solution), wouldn't it be "better" to have a connector that allows the in-feed to the heater core to just cross over to the out-flow hose? That would keep the radiator fluid moving. It'd be even better if it had a remote control.

I -thought- I'd seen something like this |--| . The valve either lets the fluid flow up and down the | legs, or it crosses back on the -- .

I cannot find it. Does it exist?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can buy a bypass valve that will accomplish this. I did this exact thing on my last truck for 8-9 years before having this truck and things I learned:

1. I personally won't pinch off a pressurized system (hose clamp). I'd do it as an emergency repair until I could get home but not much beyond that until I could affect a repair. YMMV

2. I started with a bypass valve. It leaked so I replaced it with a "better" bypass valve. It leaked so I replaced it with a ball valve. No issues after that.

3. There is no issue with stagnating the flow. Everyone will end up throttling it to allow some heat for passengers or more heat for the winter so it won't be flow-less forever. The issue comes when you completely isolate the heater core loop which can create pressure issues. I don't know how detrimental that will/won't be but I'm not willing to find out. If you use a single ball valve then the pressure will remain at system pressure regardless of the flow.

4. I did this "hack" for nearly a decade on my last truck and never had any issues other than the bypass valves leaking.

I hesitate to do it on this one as I spent almost a decade living the dream of too hot, pop the hood at the next stop and adjust the valve, too cold (for my wife), pop the hood at the next stop and...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online