5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I know a guy that has his TRX take off steering wheel for sale. If you already have a GT, this looks to be a simple upgrade. Would probably work without the paddle shifters, but not sure. You get the flat bottom, and generally looks sportier in my opinion. This one has the upgraded red stitching and is set up for heat. PM me if you are interested. I can provide his mobile number, to work out the details.

I’m getting a takeoff without the red stitching with the heat. Once it arrives I will send some before and after photos. I love the look of my Rebel GT. Looking forward to this upgrade.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
In a few weeks I will have a Level 2 TRX heated steering wheel core with gray stitching for sale. Included with the core will be the paddles and what's circled in the picture below.

View attachment 172681

This is what the Level 2 wheel looks like

View attachment 172682

I now have the steering wheel and the paddles for sale. I’m still waiting on one part before the bezel is available. The TRX decal can be removed. 300 plus shipping
IMG_6116.jpeg
IMG_6117.jpeg
IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6120.jpeg
link to For Sale thread

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I just purchased a TRX wheel. He has decided to go with an aftermarket wheel. Once he gets it changed out, he will send his takeoff to me. I didn’t want the TRX label, or the red stitching. But wanted it heated. After several conversations, found someone that had what I wanted.

I’m already have paddle shifters in my Rebel GT, so should be an easy install.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I just purchased a TRX wheel. He has decided to go with an aftermarket wheel. Once he gets it changed out, he will send his takeoff to me. I didn’t want the TRX label, or the red stitching. But wanted it heated. After several conversations, found someone that had what I wanted.

I’m already have paddle shifters in my Rebel GT, so should be an easy install.
Curious what you paid. Is it a level 1 or level 2 steering wheel?

Beardslow

Reaction score
Trying 68520867af.efd

I have a bypass module installed. Should I try removing it?
I'm looking at doing the TRX wheel swap for paddles and was able to get this software version, but my truck is NOT BSG. Do you know if this software version would still work? Was hoping I could just re-flash my TCM change the BCM to what you stated for the shifter values and away we go.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the TRX wheel swap for paddles and was able to get this software version, but my truck is NOT BSG. Do you know if this software version would still work? Was hoping I could just re-flash my TCM change the BCM to what you stated for the shifter values and away we go.
It will throw an engine code because of the missing generator. Might be able to use a Jeep 392 configs and get it tuned, or trx firmware I'm not sure.

Beardslow

Reaction score
It will throw an engine code because of the missing generator. Might be able to use a Jeep 392 configs and get it tuned, or trx firmware I'm not sure.
Ok. I'm looking at getting a Diablo Sport Tuner here in the next few months, and then I'll probably be on the hunt for someone to tune it with the TRX wheel if I go that route. Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok. I'm looking at getting a Diablo Sport Tuner here in the next few months, and then I'll probably be on the hunt for someone to tune it with the TRX wheel if I go that route. Thanks.
I have one and it works fine.
Based upon what I have seen from other people I would recommend you get an HP tuner instead.
The Diablo is VERY limited on what I CAN tune, and forces me to get a custom tune (their software is not free and costs around $2500)

The HP tuner allows you to make more changes without paying someone to do the tune.

One thing I want to do is change the sport shifting tables into my tow tables, since my 1500 doesn't have a Sports button or shifter position to trigger it. Would change my tow haul into the sports mode.
From what I can tell I can do that with HPtuners myself, but with Diablo (assuming it can be done) the person you are paying for the tune would need to do it, none of who I talked to said it could be done (which makes no sense)

Beardslow

Reaction score
I have one and it works fine.
Based upon what I have seen from other people I would recommend you get an HP tuner instead.
The Diablo is VERY limited on what I CAN tune, and forces me to get a custom tune (their software is not free and costs around $2500)

The HP tuner allows you to make more changes without paying someone to do the tune.

One thing I want to do is change the sport shifting tables into my tow tables, since my 1500 doesn't have a Sports button or shifter position to trigger it. Would change my tow haul into the sports mode.
From what I can tell I can do that with HPtuners myself, but with Diablo (assuming it can be done) the person you are paying for the tune would need to do it, none of who I talked to said it could be done (which makes no sense)
I'm fairly new to tuning myself so I could be wrong in my thought process here, but it would be nice to get the efd files for a G/T (Having BSG), a TRX, and a 5.7 hemi for the TCMs and compare them all. Then pull only what's needed so you wouldn't have any MIL lights for not having BSG or crazy shift patterns for the 5.7 not being super charged.

Daverous

Reaction score
Gde has a great command select trans tune for the ecodiesel and offers the same for the hemi. It’s spendy at 500 bucks. I love mine and it works great with the paddles. It wasn’t designed to work with the paddles, just a happy coincidence.

I’ve compared the GDE file to the stock file in hptuners and the changes are significant. It’s not just a few tweaks here and there. Hptuners doesn’t show all the values available so I’m sure there are further items they play with.

Hptuners is a good tool. It can get you most of what you want. If you don’t have a some knowledge regarding the process do yourself a favor and save yourself the money and frustrations that come with learning it. Buy something already done. Lots a great tunes out there! I’m just not familiar with many that will allow you to use the paddle shifters as intended outside of GDE.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Gde has a great command select trans tune for the ecodiesel and offers the same for the hemi. It’s spendy at 500 bucks. I love mine and it works great with the paddles. It wasn’t designed to work with the paddles, just a happy coincidence.

I’ve compared the GDE file to the stock file in hptuners and the changes are significant. It’s not just a few tweaks here and there. Hptuners doesn’t show all the values available so I’m sure there are further items they play with.

Hptuners is a good tool. It can get you most of what you want. If you don’t have a some knowledge regarding the process do yourself a favor and save yourself the money and frustrations that come with learning it. Buy something already done. Lots a great tunes out there! I’m just not familiar with many that will allow you to use the paddle shifters as intended outside of GDE.
$500 is cheap when t comes to tunes\tuners imo.
But what do you mean it works with paddles?
I had to change the firmware of my TCM to get paddles to work, the stuff just is not on the regular TCM firmware, regardless or what tune you might use.
I am only talking about the HEMI, I don't know anything about the ED.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to tuning myself so I could be wrong in my thought process here, but it would be nice to get the efd files for a G/T (Having BSG), a TRX, and a 5.7 hemi for the TCMs and compare them all. Then pull only what's needed so you wouldn't have any MIL lights for not having BSG or crazy shift patterns for the 5.7 not being super charged.
Yes kind of.
Problem is the TRX has a different transmission so would not be apples to apples if i recall.
GT you can get, but it has BSG, so will throw a code.

A 5.7 with eTorque and a 5.7 GT (with eTorque) are completely differnet TCM files.
You also can't see the files with a Diablo tuner, which is why I recommend the HP Tools as you CAN see what is in the files of the current tune at least.

Daverous

Reaction score
$500 is cheap when t comes to tunes\tuners imo.
But what do you mean it works with paddles?
I had to change the firmware of my TCM to get paddles to work, the stuff just is not on the regular TCM firmware, regardless or what tune you might use.
I am only talking about the HEMI, I don't know anything about the ED.

Their tune allows for full manual control of the transmission with the paddles or your regular +/- selectors. Same 8HP75 trans in both the diesel and hemi. Not sure how the mods feel about a direct link to a non-sponser so they may pull this down. I'm not sponsored, and bought everything with my own cash. Been running their stuff for a couple of years and they've been around for many more. I have to assume their flash/tool includes a modified firmware, as I've played around with some of it in hptuners and there are some variables I can't access. Meaning, that even when running a compare file I can't reproduce what they have on their tool without issues. They've created a very comprehensive and complete file that really does a great job of optimizing my setup.

I went up to their shop in Detroit for my engine and trans tune on their dyno, as have many others on the diesel side, and they are top-notch. They have done a ton of work for the big guys up there. If they gave that level of detailed work to the hemi, which given their reputation I would expect, then I'm sure it's the same.

Daverous

Reaction score
Also, if you're considering it, reach out to them via email or phone. They will give you a full breakdown of the changes they make to the transmission. For example, on the diesel side, we get:

Eliminates 2-1 downshift hesitation at low speed tip-in maneuvers (i.e. rolling stop sign re-acceleration)
• Upshifts earlier in all conditions for improved fuel economy.
• Downshift criteria revamped to best utilize engine torque curve and stay in each gear longer.
• Hill mode optimization to prevent gear hunting
• Refinement on shift scheduling in altitude to provide better engine responsiveness
• Revamped warm-up mode scheduling to provide faster engine warmup (i.e. 1-2 gears lower compared to normal shift maps)
• Increased minimum engine speed after upshift during DPF regeneration for better regen efficiency (this feature will only appear with the GDE Hot Tune installed in ECM).
• Eliminated shift schedule offset based on steering wheel angle to give better continuity of powertrain presence.
• All new tow/haul mode scheduling for maintaining best engine speed range during trailering.
• More use of converter lockup and reduced slip rates to reduce tranny fluid heat load and improve fuel economy.
• More linear response in shifting in medium/high load.
• The shift speeds are quicker and torque response optimized.
• Positive torque requests enabled during downshifts at lower engine speeds for smoother and quicker shifts.
• Highway passing downshifts are sharper and torque is immediate.
• Holds gear better while towing and less hunting on grades.
• Ram vehicles now feature our GearCommand™ feature letting the (+) and (-) buttons on steering wheel to command up- and down-shifts when pressed instead of setting max allowed gear.
• Enables 2nd gear launch from a stop using wheel buttons (Ram)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Their tune allows for full manual control of the transmission with the paddles or your regular +/- selectors. Same 8HP75 trans in both the diesel and hemi. Not sure how the mods feel about a direct link to a non-sponser so they may pull this down. I'm not sponsored, and bought everything with my own cash. Been running their stuff for a couple of years and they've been around for many more. I have to assume their flash/tool includes a modified firmware, as I've played around with some of it in hptuners and there are some variables I can't access. Meaning, that even when running a compare file I can't reproduce what they have on their tool without issues. They've created a very comprehensive and complete file that really does a great job of optimizing my setup.

I went up to their shop in Detroit for my engine and trans tune on their dyno, as have many others on the diesel side, and they are top-notch. They have done a ton of work for the big guys up there. If they gave that level of detailed work to the hemi, which given their reputation I would expect, then I'm sure it's the same.

They don't care if we link to stuff as long as you don't work for them or getting paid to advertise. We love when people give links to things they use and recommendations.

I live in Massachusetts and wanted to find a place I could drive to and get a tune but I couldn't find any out of the 6 places I tried, just for cars\imports unfortunately.

I am wondering how they apply the modified firmware to get them to work.

Looks like it's $500 for the TCM tune, but they don't appear to offer one for the HEMI engine itself.

I see their phone number, I think I will give them a call and see what info they can give me since I do need a new TCM and ECM tune anyways.
Too bad no point in driving there. Not counting the time I spend and miles I put on looking at around $350 in gas alone, LOL.

Daverous

Reaction score
The tcm file is upload via an alien tech pg3 handheld device when you use them. They will send one with the custom file for that 500 bucks. Best to chat with them about it. At least that part can be done remotely.
I’m not sure they offer hemi tuning. Pretty sure the pcms are locked and require bench flashing like my ecodiesel did.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The tcm file is upload via an alien tech pg3 handheld device when you use them. They will send one with the custom file for that 500 bucks. Best to chat with them about it. At least that part can be done remotely.
I’m not sure they offer hemi tuning. Pretty sure the pcms are locked and require bench flashing like my ecodiesel did.
They do, my PCM is already unlocked from when I sent mine to Diablosport in FL.

Users who are viewing this thread