5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

Quietpeen

Reaction score
hey if anybody wants to dive into this I have a TRX steering wheel available. Would be easier than sourcing all the parts. It's non heated though.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You had me up to the non heated part. I got to attached to my heated steering wheel
Me too. That’s one of my favorite things about the interior. The other is ventilated seats. I’m hooked on that stuff.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
yea, i figured that might be a deal breaker for most. Whole reason it's available is because I replaced it with a heated version(now I just need to get the heated part working)

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I just bought a used TRX steering wheel on e-bay. My only problem is it has white stitching, I'd rather have had red but couldn't pass up the price. Should get it in a week or two. Once I inspect it and its to my liking, I'll get it installed and let you guys know if the paddled shifters will work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a used TRX steering wheel on e-bay. My only problem is it has white stitching, I'd rather have had red but couldn't pass up the price. Should get it in a week or two. Once I inspect it and its to my liking, I'll get it installed and let you guys know if the paddled shifters will work.
Easy enough to change the white stitching to red. Just use a sharpie

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
checking back in. has anyone that was messing about successfully transplanted a factory trx wheel with paddles yet based on the part numbers and alfaobd changed listed above?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I have the TRX wheel but still haven't had time to try installing it yet. Sorry, just too busy at work.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm waiting for this to arrive and I'll be installing and trying to get paddles to work with some alfaobd changes. surprised no one has tried it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 10.43.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 10.43.01 AM.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 79

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for this to arrive and I'll be installing and trying to get paddles to work with some alfaobd changes. surprised no one has tried it yet.
People have tried it. Going to take more than just alfaObd changes. The TCM is different

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People have tried it. Going to take more than just alfaObd changes. The TCM is different
some guys on the hptuners forum have swapped TCM's in the zf8 grand Cherokees to enable sport paddles, so I'm prepared if its required. I also know my existing TCM does in fact have the shift schedule tables, I can view them in hptuners. if they will enable is another story. ohh well, just keep experimenting.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
are the paddles removable? I'd like the wheel alone dont care about paddles. does this simplify installation?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
some guys on the hptuners forum have swapped TCM's in the zf8 grand Cherokees to enable sport paddles, so I'm prepared if its required. I also know my existing TCM does in fact have the shift schedule tables, I can view them in hptuners. if they will enable is another story. ohh well, just keep experimenting.
as mention before , people around this forum have tried it a few times, using the alfa but the paddle would not work to shift, just to gear limit,

maybe you will have better luck, but likely youll need the tcm as mention by hskr r/t and maybe more

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to ask.. is it really worth all that to have the paddle shifters function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to ask.. is it really worth all that to have the paddle shifters function?

That would be up to the individual

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

well it depends what you want i guess, for me i love it, its a nice touch, fun to use,

i imagine if someone like the look of the sportier steering then likely to enjoy the paddle shifter too

the gt comes with the paddles but not the trx streering, i might do the swap someday

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well it depends what you want i guess, for me i love it, its a nice touch, fun to use,

i imagine if someone like the look of the sportier steering then likely to enjoy the paddle shifter too

the gt comes with the paddles but not the trx streering, i might do the swap someday
Does your truck have a radio setting to enable/disable the paddles?
5878FB8B-4DBE-440F-A63F-A800372C5D95.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I like messing with stuff, so yeah for me, worth it. probably once I get it working, I'll find something else to tackle and hack. I just can't leave stuff alone. know what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread