5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just checked on www.moparwholesaleparts.com and they now have part #'s for everything to change your steering wheel over to a TRX. Part #'s below:

Steering wheel #7FA45NR3AA-$1,052.25
Steering wheel wiring #68529748AA-$57.75
Steering wheel bezel #7EY37TX7AA-$152.40
Steering wheel insert (Bottom middle piece) #7KT01TRXAA-$185.26
Paddle down shifter, left #68446789AB-$54.13
Paddle down shifter, right #68446788AB-$54.13
Total: $1,555.92

As of right now, I'm not sure at this time if I'm going to buy a TRX or install a hellcat motor into my Rebel and keep it? I'm waiting for estimates. If I keep it, I'll buy these parts and change it out. I don't know if you need the wiring harness, but I was going to order it anyway.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, as the 2022 GT uses the same trans/TCM and it has paddles. If you’re going to try, start with just the paddles and the wheel harness (new harness is necessary to plug in the paddles).
Then use AlfaOBD to change the following:
VehConfig 3: Paddle Shift Feature Present to YES
VehConfig 7: Paddles Lock-out Feature Present to YES
VehConfig 7: Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status from ERS to Autostick
Depending if those do it, you may also need to change VehConfig 3: vehicle is an SRT to YES, and VehConfig 3: Chassis Type to 38

CanRebel

Reaction score
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, as the 2022 GT uses the same trans/TCM and it has paddles. If you’re going to try, start with just the paddles and the wheel harness (new harness is necessary to plug in the paddles).
VehConfig 7: Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status from ERS to Autostick
Depending if those do it, you may also need to change VehConfig 3: vehicle is an SRT to YES, and VehConfig 3: Chassis Type to 38

Think I will order those three parts and give it a try.
Wondering this though. Do you think they made any software changes that wouldn't be in 2021 and just in 2022?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering paddle shifters were never an option on the 19-21 trucks, I'd be really surprised if just changing those settings with alfaOBD would work. But by all means, have people be guinea pigs and mess with settings that you don't even know if it will work, and could cause issues.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering paddle shifters were never an option on the 19-21 trucks, I'd be really surprised if just changing those settings with alfaOBD would work. But by all means, have people be guinea pigs and mess with settings that you don't even know if it will work, and could cause issues.
Well, there’s usually only one way to find out if something’s going to work or not, isn’t there. If someone is willing to buy the parts and try it out, I’m gonna help them do it. Nothing I suggest will ever be irreversible. If I listened to guys like you, I wouldn’t have factory surround view, 12” radio, factory BSM, factory power side steps installed and working as they should on my 2017, which none of those features even existed before 2019. But then again, you have no idea how much I know about the configurations of FCA vehicles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there’s usually only one way to find out if something’s going to work or not, isn’t there. If someone is willing to buy the parts and try it out, I’m gonna help them do it. Nothing I suggest will ever be irreversible. If I listened to guys like you, I wouldn’t have factory surround view, 12” radio, factory BSM, factory power side steps installed and working as they should on my 2017, which none of those features even existed before 2019. But then again, you have no idea how much I know about the configurations of FCA vehicles.
You're right, I don't know how much you know, and vice versa. Just because the option is available in the AlfaOBD configuration doesn't mean it works. If that was the case, my truck would be fully configured with SRT pages and no speed limiter.

Klicht87

Reaction score
How much did that cost to add all of those factory options?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Do you really need to upgrade the wheel itself or could you just add the paddles to the bezels on the backside of the factory wheel?
I have a limited model and have no interest in the red stitching. If I needed the wheel, the GT would be the one I would go with I guess.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you really need to upgrade the wheel itself or could you just add the paddles to the bezels on the backside of the factory wheel?
I have a limited model and have no interest in the red stitching. If I needed the wheel, the GT would be the one I would go with I guess.
The bigger issue after adding the paddles, either just adding the plate & paddle from BlackFoxIndustries to factory wheel or a whole TRX wheel swap, is you will not have auto-stick shift maps, because our TCM's don't have them (we have ERS instead). I'm following a guy, Scott Chapin on Tuned Rams, who's transplanting a scat pack valve body and TCM to try to get a TCM into a ram that supports proper auto-stick shift mapping. Otherwise, you just have a bigger button that doesn't command shifts, it will just do the high gear limit function

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
So the answer to my question then is yes, you can add the plate and paddle from BlackFoxIndustries to a factory wheel.
Thank you!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
That forged carbon is something special alright but $2k seems a bit steep for a custom steering wheel.
Then again, how much is a factory wheel new from the dealer?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The bigger issue after adding the paddles, either just adding the plate & paddle from BlackFoxIndustries to factory wheel or a whole TRX wheel swap, is you will not have auto-stick shift maps, because our TCM's don't have them (we have ERS instead). I'm following a guy, Scott Chapin on Tuned Rams, who's transplanting a scat pack valve body and TCM to try to get a TCM into a ram that supports proper auto-stick shift mapping. Otherwise, you just have a bigger button that doesn't command shifts, it will just do the high gear limit function
I brought up that very issue with the TCM earlier in this thread and was basically told I didn't know what I was talking about. Good to see I wasn't wrong

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
until we get a TCM operating system with auto- stick tables, your spending a lot of money to do what the truck already does, gear limiter

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I’m not spending a dime, I’m just asking a simple question.

There are two strings to this thread, the parts to make it happen and then the “what else needs to be done”. I’m just trying to close off one string while more informed minds work on the second.

I attach a value to everything I think I may want and go from there. If the cost = the perceived value, I may pull the trigger. So, if parts alone exceed my perceived value, I move on to something else and I don’t have to hang around wondering if you ever got it to work or not. Or, shelve the idea until I either outgrow the want, sell the truck off, or shop the parts until I find a deal to accomplish it for a fraction of the cost.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
until we get a TCM operating system with auto- stick tables, your spending a lot of money to do what the truck already does, gear limiter
The shift maps should be the same. It’s the BCM that dictates to the TCM which type of range selector is being used. For reference, I ran a few 2022 VINs- a rebel G/T VIN with paddles uses the same part number transmission assembly as a big horn VIN with 5.7- 68550345AA

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shift maps should be the same. It’s the BCM that dictates to the TCM which type of range selector is being used. For reference, I ran a few 2022 VINs- a rebel G/T VIN with paddles uses the same part number transmission assembly as a big horn VIN with 5.7- 68550345AA
hmm..maybe trans/tcm changed for 2022 trucks?..my 19 shows a different transmission part number. but now I want to check again. I thought at one point I changed the bcm settings from ERS to Autostick, and when I logged, trans was still using the ERS maps. maybe I missed a setting.

I know if in hptuners, if I open my TCM file, and a TCM file from a grand Cherokee / challenger with auto stick, my hptuners file is lacking a whole bunch of auto stick stuff...but maybe hptuners doesn't have the whole os mapped out yet?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
for what its worth, there's several folks over on hptuners forum that have been trying to get the "truck" 8HP's to shift like the challenger/durango/grand Cherokee units, and if someone has in fact figured it out, they ain't sharing!

Jimmy07 - do you happen to have a BCM log for a 2022 GT or a TRX yet? I'm assuming a 19 or 20 BCM will be lacking some things, but would be interesting to compare and try to see how its happening.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to enable sport mode and manual shifting almost more than anything on my truck!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy07 - do you happen to have a BCM log for a 2022 GT or a TRX yet? I'm assuming a 19 or 20 BCM will be lacking some things, but would be interesting to compare and try to see how its happening.
Yup, sure do. When I get back to my laptop I’ll put the TRX log on google drive for you. I’ll run it through WinMerge with a regular DT log so I can pull apart the differences.
Not sure on hptuners, but I’d have to use deductive reasoning and say if there’s no difference with the 2022s, there probably isn’t a difference with the other years. The people that are trying, have they installed the actual TRX paddles and made BCM settings changes? It won’t work with the regular ERS buttons (different messages), and it won’t work with Brandon’s paddle kit (black fox) because those are just reworked for ERS.

Users who are viewing this thread