5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

blue_by_you

Reaction score
my car came with paddle shifters and HUD. after the first month i never played with them again, 6 years later couldn't care less. I like the sportier wheel for my truck, dont care for paddles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my car came with paddle shifters and HUD. after the first month i never played with them again, 6 years later couldn't care less. I like the sportier wheel for my truck, dont care for paddles.
I'm the opposite. If so had paddle shifters that actually worked as paddle shifters and not just gear limiters, I would use them frequently. Most of the time I'd probably just throw it into D and go. My old 2005 Magnum R/T had the manual shift position on the shifter. I would pop it over into manual quite often. But I also drive my vehicles a little harder than most, and enjoy the driving experience, and the feel of g-forces both accelerating and cornering.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I'm not too concerned if the paddle shifters work or not, I just wanted the nicer/sportier TRX steering wheel.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like messing with stuff, so yeah for me, worth it. probably once I get it working, I'll find something else to tackle and hack. I just can't leave stuff alone. know what I mean?

I hear and I completely understand but once your having to do tcm/bcm swap to try to get it to work right at what point do you say not worth it for somethings thats really just a show off to a buddy here and there or use it the first week then that cool feeling wears off and you let the electronic computer go back to shifting lol especially in a pickup truck thats probably not being tracked but just a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Paddle shifters are way fun to use.
If you think they only exist for the track you are very mistaken.

I used them on my old 2012 Camaro all the time.
Tiptronic shifting on my 04 G35x was a lot of fun also. Also very useful for going through snow.
Gives you way more control. Would be the same thing in the truck.
The placement of the shifters on the Rams are terrible though.

I wanted to get a GT model but I wasn't able to get that and the tech package due to "chip shortages" so I got stuck with a Limited.
I would swap in the paddle shifters\wheel and sacrifice the heated steering wheel which I hate in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable (and even possible) despite my dislike of the placement of the shifters on the Ram.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Big difference between a half ton truck and a sports/muscle car….. especially if everyday real world traffic

Edit: before someone mention yes TRX is an exception to most scenarios

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Big difference between a half ton truck and a sports/muscle car….. especially if everyday real world traffic

Not sure what truck you are driving... Mine is fast all things considered.
Maybe you got the v6 model lol.

Even a regular car with manual shifting is going to feel faster and better then leaving it in auto.
My 2.4l v4 Kia had tiptronic shifting and the car was way different when you shifted it yourself, letting it stay in gear with high rpms before shifting, vs it shifting at 3.5k RPMs.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure my v8 truck can haul *** from stoplight to stoplight for a truck but I have yet to ever feel the need. I guess if I wanted to be 16 again doing stop light to stop light racing I could nowadays but my mindset is there… I’m practical nowadays. Its not like the autos of the past these days electronic shifting on most vehicles is amazing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure my v8 truck can haul *** from stoplight to stoplight for a truck but I have yet to ever feel the need. I guess if I wanted to be 16 again doing stop light to stop light racing I could nowadays but my mindset is there… I’m practical nowadays. Its not like the autos of the past these days electronic shifting on most vehicles is amazing.

Some people you know, enjoy driving vs sitting there and letting the car\truck do everything for you.

New vehicles are made for the elderly not young or middle age adults. That's why there's all these stupid safety features shoved in like blind spot monitoring, I could argue use your damn eyes.

Having an automatic that you can drive without any effort and then be able to shift it like a manual is a big plus, and makes no sense why you would knock it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And there’s nothing wrong with that

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paddle shifters are way fun to use.
If you think they only exist for the track you are very mistaken.

I used them on my old 2012 Camaro all the time.
Tiptronic shifting on my 04 G35x was a lot of fun also. Also very useful for going through snow.
Gives you way more control. Would be the same thing in the truck.
The placement of the shifters on the Rams are terrible though.

I wanted to get a GT model but I wasn't able to get that and the tech package due to "chip shortages" so I got stuck with a Limited.
I would swap in the paddle shifters\wheel and sacrifice the heated steering wheel which I hate in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable (and even possible) despite my dislike of the placement of the shifters on the Ram.
you dont have to sacrifice the heated wheel(i know you dont like it, just saying its possible), my gt came with it and if you get a trx wheel, some have it too

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some people you know, enjoy driving vs sitting there and letting the car\truck do everything for you.

New vehicles are made for the elderly not young or middle age adults. That's why there's all these stupid safety features shoved in like blind spot monitoring, I could argue use your damn eyes.

Having an automatic that you can drive without any effort and then be able to shift it like a manual is a big plus, and makes no sense why you would knock it.
i do enjoy driving around town with the paddles shifters, staying in gear a little longer to hear the exhaust...

i agree with you, i dont race the truck and i enjoy the paddle, sometimes i do it with the shifter instead but really.like the paddles

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
you dont have to sacrifice the heated wheel(i know you dont like it, just saying its possible), my gt came with it and if you get a trx wheel, some have it too
I have a 2022 Limited not a GT, so I can't get paddle shifters to work, at least it's not currently possible.
I was referring to the heated feature due to price, as getting a TRX style wheel without the heated portion shaves a lot of money off the price so it's not like i'm losing something I care about.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Limited not a GT, so I can't get paddle shifters to work, at least it's not currently possible.
I was referring to the heated feature due to price, as getting a TRX style wheel without the heated portion shaves a lot of money off the price so it's not like i'm losing something I care about.
exact, its is pricey just for heat

Gabbyg44

Reaction score
So, based on what I am reading it would better switch on a G/T because it has the paddle shifter?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, based on what I am reading it would better switch on a G/T because it has the paddle shifter?
A GT already has paddle shifters.
You would swap it just for the TRX wheel?
I'm sure the paddle shifters would work in a GT with a TRX wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread