5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

Ka1

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I have Ram limited 2021, The steering has gear selector and I use it frequently, but I need to install the paddle shifter on it, and I'm ok if the paddle shifter works as gear selector only. So here is my questions:
1- all I need is these parts to add the paddle shifter? or I need more stuff like a mount or connector?

Paddle Down Switch, Left - Mopar (68446789AB)​

and

Paddle Down Switch, Right - Mopar (68446788AB)​

2- what is need to be changed in AlfaOBD to make it work?

Gear selector is really useful for me, Mostly I drive in mountains and most of the roads are one sided, I need to pass lots of trucks and cars, and the gear is really slow sometimes, and when there is snow its not Ideal to shift the car in that speed. The only problem is the gear selector is not fun to use, Thats why I need to add the paddle shifter.
Appreciate your help!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I have Ram limited 2021, The steering has gear selector and I use it frequently, but I need to install the paddle shifter on it, and I'm ok if the paddle shifter works as gear selector only. So here is my questions:
1- all I need is these parts to add the paddle shifter? or I need more stuff like a mount or connector?

Paddle Down Switch, Left - Mopar (68446789AB)​

and

Paddle Down Switch, Right - Mopar (68446788AB)​

2- what is need to be changed in AlfaOBD to make it work?

Gear selector is really useful for me, Mostly I drive in mountains and most of the roads are one sided, I need to pass lots of trucks and cars, and the gear is really slow sometimes, and when there is snow its not Ideal to shift the car in that speed. The only problem is the gear selector is not fun to use, Thats why I need to add the paddle shifter.
Appreciate your help!
You need to replace the entire steering wheel.
GT wheel, or TRX.

Reactions: Ka1

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my bighorn wheel did not have the threaded screw bosses to install the paddle shifters..the trx wheel has extra metal threaded bosses to install the paddles. also, the wire harness is slightly different.

that being said, you don't need to do anything in alfa. I installed a used TRX wheel in my bighorn, and it works fine.
*the paddles do the same function as your +/- buttons do now. I'm still working on getting a true sport/autostick function. but if you just want the gear limit, get a trx wheel and you're good to go.

do you care if its heated? might be interested in selling my non heated trx wheel.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Ok update! Finally installed TRX steering wheel. All controls work and paddle shifters work also. If you're installing a TRX steering wheel into a Ram with the shift buttons on the wheel, paddles will work.
TRX Steering Wheel.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok update! Finally installed TRX steering wheel. All controls work and paddle shifters work also. If you're installing a TRX steering wheel into a Ram with the shift buttons on the wheel, paddles will work.
View attachment 151300
Funny, because every single other person that does this say the shifters don't work and just preform the gear selector function.
Odd that your truck is different then everyone elses?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 151300
Paddles will work as gear limiters, no as actual manual shifters

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Sorry, yes it does the same thing as the buttons on my original steering wheel did. I didn't think they were going to work at all.

Gabbyg44

Reaction score
View attachment 151300
Looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Did you do it yourself?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Did you do it yourself?
I got lucky and found it cheap on eBay out of a wrecked TRX, it was only $800 shipped. It was in perfect shape, no damage. I installed it myself, watched some videos on YouTube, not that hard to do.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got lucky and found it cheap on eBay out of a wrecked TRX, it was only $800 shipped. It was in perfect shape, no damage. I installed it myself, watched some videos on YouTube, not that hard to do.
is that one heated? I got an used one on eBay and installed it, but its non-heated. Do you have a part number? The one I got is all vinyl. just curious the part # differences.
also, the paddles are addicting..I use mine daily on every drive. favorite truck mod to date.

Ka1

Reaction score
my bighorn wheel did not have the threaded screw bosses to install the paddle shifters..the trx wheel has extra metal threaded bosses to install the paddles. also, the wire harness is slightly different.

that being said, you don't need to do anything in alfa. I installed a used TRX wheel in my bighorn, and it works fine.
*the paddles do the same function as your +/- buttons do now. I'm still working on getting a true sport/autostick function. but if you just want the gear limit, get a trx wheel and you're good to go.

do you care if its heated? might be interested in selling my non heated trx wheel.
Thank you for your reply! Mine is heated so I might get heated as well, as for the buttons I think I have to swap my existing with the TRX one? Mine has adaptive cruise control as well

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
what about the after market models? are they compatible with Limited? (while most of them are listed for TRX)
It's just a steering wheel. You will not getting paddle shifters they just do the gear selection. Most aftermarket ones will Probbly fit, but I read that some have been coming with slightly wrong dimensions making the fit not perfect.

Ka1

Reaction score
It's just a steering wheel. You will not getting paddle shifters they just do the gear selection. Most aftermarket ones will Probbly fit, but I read that some have been coming with slightly wrong dimensions making the fit not perfect.
Thank you for the info, Appreciate it.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
is that one heated? I got an used one on eBay and installed it, but its non-heated. Do you have a part number? The one I got is all vinyl. just curious the part # differences.
also, the paddles are addicting..I use mine daily on every drive. favorite truck mod to date.
Yes, mine is heated, I made sure before I purchased it. I can't live without it in winter. I don't have the part number for this one.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@mike_ct any update on getting it to work?
i miss being able to select my own gear when going through the canyons while heading out of the city to get to trailheads.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not gotten it to do actual autostick or sport shifting.. they basically do the same thing as the buttons now do.
I'm looking get my hands on a trx or gt truck that I can ride in for 10 minutes, and read some parameters in hptuners and see what shift maps are getting requested, etc.

I enabled all the bcm settings that would be on in like a gt/trx truck, and the paddles dont do anything at all. so either the bcm doesn't have the commands to send, OR my TCM does not recognize the commands.

unfortunately, I think my TCM might need to be changed. I dont see a lot of the autostick stuff that is viewable in a TCM from say like a grand Cherokee or a charger (even non-paddle equipped vehicles have autostick stuff), where-as mine does not.

I'll keep chugging at it, but next step I want to plug into a trx or gt truck with hptuners and do some logging.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
View attachment 151300

If the TRX wheel works then I take it the GT wheel should work as well (as it has paddles).

Users who are viewing this thread