5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Snekpete

Reaction score
I never had this problem before, until I had the new motor and supercharger installed and tuned a couple of weeks ago. It has happened to me three times now. I currently have 63,000 miles on the truck. I would suspect it has to be something in the computer?
Yes, it is partially a software problem, but not exclusively, otherwise I would think that there would either:
1) Be far, far more instances of this problem.
2) Be the same amount of instances but distributed over many, many different vehicles. A random software glitch.

I believe that this problem is a rare combination of a hardware (sensor) anomaly triggering a software anomaly. Since you had a non-problematic truck before the motor swap, supercharger and tune you are in a unique position to track this down. I am assuming that the PCM and TCM have remained the same except for the tune. I haven't read about anyone who got a tune triggering this problem, so the issue is most likely with a sensor that came with the new motor or the supercharger itself. My WAG is a sensor in the new motor. Good luck!

Thor

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn has had this issue probably 5 times since i bought it new in 2019. Today probably closest an accident as i was on the interstate. I know at this frequency i have no chance of them reproducing the problem. But it's a serious issue that needs a resolution, or i need to sell it.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I believe that this problem is a rare combination of a hardware (sensor) anomaly triggering a software anomaly. Since you had a non-problematic truck before the motor swap, supercharger and tune you are in a unique position to track this down. I am assuming that the PCM and TCM have remained the same except for the tune. I haven't read about anyone who got a tune triggering this problem, so the issue is most likely with a sensor that came with the new motor or the supercharger itself. My WAG is a sensor in the new motor. Good luck!
Your probably right. Now the fun part trying to track it down. :rolleyes:

Snekpete

Reaction score
Your probably right. Now the fun part trying to track it down. :rolleyes:
My advice, worth exactly what you paid for it, is to start simple and work up.

1) Get some cross check marker and then disconnect and carefully inspect every harness connection looking for broken, bent or loose pins. Mark each connection after you're done so that at the end of the day you can quickly see that every connector has been secured.

2) I f that doesn't work, use a tuner to increase the lead acid battery voltage by one quarter to one half of a volt. One person has reported success with this.

3) Lastly, if all else fails, start swapping out engine sensors, one at a time, until all of the original sensors are returned to the new motor. I would pay particular attention to the throttle body and Mass Airflow Sensor.

Good luck and keep us updated!

redmyst

Reaction score
been following this thread for a bit now.. having the same issues kind of.. Mine never goes into neutral or park, it stays in gear but i do get the put in P to start error.. so far happens only when cold..

I have a 2020 ram rebel with the 5.7 hemi.. truck has been to the dealership a few times already for other transmission issues.. hard shifts, holding on to lower gears, loud bang when starting up.. various things they have been able to replicate but not pull codes.. so they updated my pcm and my tcm, now this.. so I will call them monday and mention the tsb to see what they say.. i love my truck but hate feeling like it is going to kill me if it gets worse.

the_patriot

Reaction score
I just had this occur on my 2019 Laramie 5.7 without eTorque, 3.92 gears, 4x4. I have about 49k miles and haven't had this occur until now. Like many others, I was slowing down and turning into a gas station when the truck kicked into N so it probably occurred around 10mph. Thankfully I didn't have to speed up and carried enough momentum to the pump. This is a big safety concern and I'm very surprised to see there's no resolution yet.

I would also add that my truck experiences what I would consider hard shifts from a stop when the truck is "cold" and not up to operating temperatures just as you described @redmyst I haven't brought it into the dealership yet as it doesn't seem like any of this is easily reproducible everyday. And in my experience, if a dealer cannot reproduce the problem, they won't do anything.

Leiftv

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the dealer so that we could drive the truck with the service manager and chief mechanic in order to recreate the issue. What do you know? I had barely driven 100 yards and, wham, the transmission slipped into neutral on the downshift. Couldn't believe it. They were shocked, but to their credit they acknowledged how dangerous this is and guaranteed they would correct the problem. I told them I had already contacted Mike McDonald Executive Support and they assured me they would be contacting RAM directly about the issue. They had never seen this, according to them. So... I wait.
Did you ever have this problem resolved? My son is having the same issue.

Leiftv

Reaction score
Hello @Kicknsnare, we certainly understand how this would be concerning. We would be more than willing to assist in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage for further support, thank you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Any resolution to this problem? Having the same issue.

Cbadalamenti

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having an issue in which my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Laramie 5.7L V8 with 8 speed auto with 3.92 rear axle ratio and am hoping you can help. Upon braking and downshifting and perhaps more when vehicle is "cold", transmission occasionally falls out of drive without user input. The D indicator around the shift knob and in the instrument panel will blink. Tried to capture the blinking in the images below. In this case, the vehicle is parked more or less at a traffic light, but it has happened enough that I have scrambled and captured videos at 7 MPH as well. The instrument panel will also display the message "Shift to P then Desired Gear". In this time, the engine remains running and the transmission enters a neutral stage. This can be pretty dangerous when it occurs upon braking for a railroad crossing or yield and merge situation in which I cannot accelerate into traffic or away from a train. The transmission can be re-engaged by shifting to P then back to D. I do have 57,000 miles on the vehicle and this would definitely qualify as a powertrain issue, within warranty. I have taken the vehicle into the dealership with a description of the issue and a video. The shift knob was replaced to attempt to resolve with no change in issue frequency. I'll be taking it back this week for the last time. Is there a transmission programming change required for the rear axle ratio change that perhaps didn't happen? I bought the vehicle used and don't do much towing myself. I may prefer to swap the rear end for original 3.21 if required to resolve. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? Any ideas to resolve? Please help

View attachment 77802 View attachment 77804
View attachment 77803 View attachment 77805
Hey all,

I'm having an issue in which my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Laramie 5.7L V8 with 8 speed auto with 3.92 rear axle ratio and am hoping you can help. Upon braking and downshifting and perhaps more when vehicle is "cold", transmission occasionally falls out of drive without user input. The D indicator around the shift knob and in the instrument panel will blink. Tried to capture the blinking in the images below. In this case, the vehicle is parked more or less at a traffic light, but it has happened enough that I have scrambled and captured videos at 7 MPH as well. The instrument panel will also display the message "Shift to P then Desired Gear". In this time, the engine remains running and the transmission enters a neutral stage. This can be pretty dangerous when it occurs upon braking for a railroad crossing or yield and merge situation in which I cannot accelerate into traffic or away from a train. The transmission can be re-engaged by shifting to P then back to D. I do have 57,000 miles on the vehicle and this would definitely qualify as a powertrain issue, within warranty. I have taken the vehicle into the dealership with a description of the issue and a video. The shift knob was replaced to attempt to resolve with no change in issue frequency. I'll be taking it back this week for the last time. Is there a transmission programming change required for the rear axle ratio change that perhaps didn't happen? I bought the vehicle used and don't do much towing myself. I may prefer to swap the rear end for original 3.21 if required to resolve. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? Any ideas to resolve? Please help

Same exact thing happened to me yesterday and has happened to me a handful of times before. I slowed down for a stop sign yesterday probably to around 5 mph, and when I went to hit the gas the trans slipped out of drive and showed "shift to P then desired gear" just as shown here.

Did you ever end up resolving this issue?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Post was removed that contained contact information without consent.

Reaction score
Hey all,

20 pages and still no solution @RamCares
So disappointed! The truck has been literally over a month waiting for a valve body and Ram keeps pushing the shipping date. WTF?! I just made a payment for a vehicle that I don’t have. I do appreciate that I got a loaner from the dealer, but now I’m calls from the rental place saying that the rental is over due. The whole situation it’s just very unpleasant.

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
i havent experienced this issue in a long while. after several repairs failed to resolve it, the dealer head service tech actually found some consistency duplicating the issue. he noted the RPMs drop at some instant in time as the truck bucked out of gear. you might be able to see it on my gopro video. it appears the transmission was not downshifting quickly enough to keep the engine from stalling. oddly enough, a throttle body clean (on a relatively new truck with maintained filters) seemed to resolve the issue. just for some insurance, i replaced the filter thereafter with a K&N washable type with less resistance. its been a long while since i experienced this. otherwise i would be the plaintiff in this class action suit. hope this helps

RAMBrandenburg

Reaction score
In Europe where most of the RAMs are equipped with an additional LPG fuel System the error is quite common- an update of the LPG system an thats it.
I hope that‘ll help our netherland member

Vulpes

Reaction score
i havent experienced this issue in a long while. after several repairs failed to resolve it, the dealer head service tech actually found some consistency duplicating the issue. he noted the RPMs drop at some instant in time as the truck bucked out of gear. you might be able to see it on my gopro video. it appears the transmission was not downshifting quickly enough to keep the engine from stalling. oddly enough, a throttle body clean (on a relatively new truck with maintained filters) seemed to resolve the issue. just for some insurance, i replaced the filter thereafter with a K&N washable type with less resistance. its been a long while since i experienced this. otherwise i would be the plaintiff in this class action suit. hope this helps
Thank you for the information! I am going to have a look at my TB this weekend, an easy thing to check out. Like you, my tach does show a dip in RPM's when the transmission jams itself into neutral while driving, (which is a few times a month). I have just under 60K miles, so maybe it's gunked up by now???

Vulpes

Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I am going to have a look at my TB this weekend, an easy thing to check out. Like you, my tach does show a dip in RPM's when the transmission jams itself into neutral while driving, (which is a few times a month). I have just under 60K miles, so maybe it's gunked up by now???
Pulled the TB, it was coated with grime, heaviest around where the butterfly meets the body. Now I'll give it a few days and see what happens with the neutral drop gremlin installed by RAM. FYI - The TB to manifold gasket is Felpro-61586, NOT 61372, (which the AI computer overlord at big parts store also had me buy).

2019 Ram TB.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread