5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having an issue in which my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Laramie 5.7L V8 with 8 speed auto with 3.92 rear axle ratio and am hoping you can help. Upon braking and downshifting and perhaps more when vehicle is "cold", transmission occasionally falls out of drive without user input. The D indicator around the shift knob and in the instrument panel will blink. Tried to capture the blinking in the images below. In this case, the vehicle is parked more or less at a traffic light, but it has happened enough that I have scrambled and captured videos at 7 MPH as well. The instrument panel will also display the message "Shift to P then Desired Gear". In this time, the engine remains running and the transmission enters a neutral stage. This can be pretty dangerous when it occurs upon braking for a railroad crossing or yield and merge situation in which I cannot accelerate into traffic or away from a train. The transmission can be re-engaged by shifting to P then back to D. I do have 57,000 miles on the vehicle and this would definitely qualify as a powertrain issue, within warranty. I have taken the vehicle into the dealership with a description of the issue and a video. The shift knob was replaced to attempt to resolve with no change in issue frequency. I'll be taking it back this week for the last time. Is there a transmission programming change required for the rear axle ratio change that perhaps didn't happen? I bought the vehicle used and don't do much towing myself. I may prefer to swap the rear end for original 3.21 if required to resolve. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? Any ideas to resolve? Please help

View attachment 77802 View attachment 77804
View attachment 77803 View attachment 77805
I currently have my 19 Ram 1500 4x2 crew cab in the dealer for the 2nd time with the exact same issue. I believe this started at the 35k miles. The service advisor at the dealer told me is that this is covered under Chrysler powertrain warranty and that there are 3 steps:
Step 1) do a relearn on the tcm and test drive it for 1k miles (Did a temporary fix until 688 miles and then issue return).

Step 2) replace the tranny valve body ( that’s where I am right now) and test drive for 1k miles

Step 3) replace the transmission.

Oh! This has also develop an annoying play on my driveshaft. Feels like you are pulling a trailer and there’s a lot play on the hitch. Also, I notice that there’s no need to go all the way to parking when the message pops up. You can go to “N” neutral and the “D” and it will also clear the code.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I currently have my 19 Ram 1500 4x2 crew cab in the dealer for the 2nd time with the exact same issue. I believe this started at the 35k miles. The service advisor at the dealer told me is that this is covered under Chrysler powertrain warranty and that there are 3 steps:
Step 1) do a relearn on the tcm and test drive it for 1k miles (Did a temporary fix until 688 miles and then issue return).

Step 2) replace the tranny valve body ( that’s where I am right now) and test drive for 1k miles

Step 3) replace the transmission.

Oh! This has also develop an annoying play on my driveshaft. Feels like you are pulling a trailer and there’s a lot play on the hitch. Also, I notice that there’s no need to go all the way to parking when the message pops up. You can go to “N” neutral and the “D” and it will also clear the code.
My "Stellantis" case performed steps 1 & 2 that you list. Neither worked. They also rewired both the engine and dash harnesses - twice! Didn't work either. And, yes, I have found that you can go to "N" when this happens instead of coming to a full stop and going to "P."

Reaction score
My "Stellantis" case performed steps 1 & 2 that you list. Neither worked. They also rewired both the engine and dash harnesses - twice! Didn't work either. And, yes, I have found that you can go to "N" when this happens instead of coming to a full stop and going to "P."
I just received a phone call from the dealer, and they said that Chrysler approved the valve body swapped. They also said that it might take a few more days and that I can stop by tomorrow to pick up a loaner 👍🏻

Reactions: c3k

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
NightThey they resolve your issue? My truck is being serviced at the same dealership OCCDJR. But I feel like I’m being lied to
Sorry for the late response. I haven’t been on the forum for a while. On mine, they just couldn’t reproduce the issue. I spoke with the Director of Service (Ken) and he assisted me with the "Buy Back Process". They just completed the process earlier this month and I surrender my vehicle next week. Had the issue happen 5 times in the last two weeks, but nothing for over a month prior. I really suspect it’s some kind of wiring issue, but seems to do it more when the weather is hot. Today, I just purchased a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition and glad to be out of that vehicle.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I just received a phone call from the dealer, and they said that Chrysler approved the valve body swapped. They also said that it might take a few more days and that I can stop by tomorrow to pick up a loaner 👍🏻
Didn't work on mine. Hope it does for you. Still believe this is a software issue. Class Action Lawsuit might be the answer. @RamCares

Jack.

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but, has anyone who ended up tuning their truck had this issue? whether its the pulsar or a full unlock pcm tune? i actually met a dude at the local tuning shop who said he had the same issue and it went away after he got a tune.

GoBucks17

Reaction score
Just started having this problem, once coming out of a roundabout going around 15 mph and then again when coming to a stop. Disheartening to see no one has found a fix. Love my truck and don’t want to move on but safety is much more important

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but, has anyone who ended up tuning their truck had this issue? whether its the pulsar or a full unlock pcm tune? i actually met a dude at the local tuning shop who said he had the same issue and it went away after he got a tune.
Never tuned the truck. Didn't want to mess with the warranty. I've had two friends who tuned their vehicles (one a car, the other a truck) and each had their warranties voided. So, very leery about doing that.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Just started having this problem, once coming out of a roundabout going around 15 mph and then again when coming to a stop. Disheartening to see no one has found a fix. Love my truck and don’t want to move on but safety is much more important
Yes, roundabouts seem to bring out the issue. Also, slowing down to turn (foot on brake) can trigger the issue. Serious safety concern but RAM, Stellantis and the dealers don't seem to give a damn. @RamCares

SlackR

Reaction score
Well you can go ahead and add m 2019 Laramie to the listen. Currently deployed, wife calls and tells me the truck randomly stopped and told her to shift to park and select her desired gear. Luckily she was on base when it happened but we live in Jersey so that very easily could have been a nasty accident. I told her to leave the truck until I come home but that's not for another few months.

I've already got to dealer with the dreaded rear window leak when I come home (an issue which ironically now has a pending class action lawsuits) and now this. Not happy.

ITGuy2020

Reaction score
Well, I moved on. I turn my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn in next Thursday (Buy Back Program). Took my chances and bought a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi with eTorque. Talking with @Buckeye Nation a bit on this matter, we both concur that it has to be a computer programming issue. He also mention that a friend of his had this issue on her Jaguar as well, so ALL manufacturers seem to have their own issues. Can you imagine sitting in a "Driver-less" vehicle and trusting a computer not to malfunction. No Thanks!! So far, no issues on my 2022 and hope it stays that way. I'm pretty pleased on how FCA processed the "Buy Back". I have a friend that has a 2019 Chevy 1500 with drive train issues and is in court battling over it. They postponed his court date till early 2023.

SlackR

Reaction score
What was the process for your buyback? And the timeline from when you first brought the issue up? Did they pay the full purchase price, or just what you had paid on the vehicle so far?
Well, I moved on. I turn my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn in next Thursday (Buy Back Program). Took my chances and bought a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi with eTorque. Talking with @Buckeye Nation a bit on this matter, we both concur that it has to be a computer programming issue. He also mention that a friend of his had this issue on her Jaguar as well, so ALL manufacturers seem to have their own issues. Can you imagine sitting in a "Driver-less" vehicle and trusting a computer not to malfunction. No Thanks!! So far, no issues on my 2022 and hope it stays that way. I'm pretty pleased on how FCA processed the "Buy Back". I have a friend that has a 2019 Chevy 1500 with drive train issues and is in court battling over it. They postponed his court date till early 2023

Orange-devil

Reaction score
It's not the "characteristics of the truck." This is a major engineering/software flaw and needs to be corrected. I just spoke with a friend who rented a new Jaguar two weekends ago. She knew nothing of the transmission issue with my 1500. After her rental was over, she told me that the Jaguar slipped out of gear a couple of times and she had to stop and put it in "P" and then back into "D." This has also been reported in Jeep, Chrysler, etc. - all with different transmissions. So, can we say software issue? We need to keep voicing our concerns and making those voices heard. Not time to stay silent. @RamCares
Hi Buckeye Nation,
One thing regarding the remark about mentioned Jaguar: it’s the only car brand mentioned that’s not owned by Stellantis as far as I can see. Would they have same brand automatic transmission with software? (ZF?)

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I know the XJF uses the ZF transmission but not sure if they have any other models that do. Jaguar is owned by some conglomerate in India last I heard. They have actually be lumped into Land Rover.

smashweights

Reaction score
This issue has happened to me twice in 20k miles. Both around 5-7 mph while rolling through yield at an intersection merge. Definitely would have been an issue if a car had been coming the other way...

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well you can go ahead and add m 2019 Laramie to the listen. Currently deployed, wife calls and tells me the truck randomly stopped and told her to shift to park and select her desired gear. Luckily she was on base when it happened but we live in Jersey so that very easily could have been a nasty accident. I told her to leave the truck until I come home but that's not for another few months.

I've already got to dealer with the dreaded rear window leak when I come home (an issue which ironically now has a pending class action lawsuits) and now this. Not happy.
Sorry to hear this, buddy. But, happy 4th and thank you for your service.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Hi Buckeye Nation,
One thing regarding the remark about mentioned Jaguar: it’s the only car brand mentioned that’s not owned by Stellantis as far as I can see. Would they have same brand automatic transmission with software? (ZF?)
Not sure. I was told from a mechanic at RAM that Jaguar had some "Chrysler" transmission components.

Ddp117

Reaction score
I also have to have a new steering rack installed because it's binding. I wonder if the steering has anything to do with it since It happens on my truck so far only when slowing down and turning. I've been trying to get my truck in for service but between work and the dealer not calling back and giving me excuses of how this stuff is my fault I haven't had time to get it replaced yet. I might have to try a different dealer in my area.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I also have to have a new steering rack installed because it's binding. I wonder if the steering has anything to do with it since It happens on my truck so far only when slowing down and turning. I've been trying to get my truck in for service but between work and the dealer not calling back and giving me excuses of how this stuff is my fault I haven't had time to get it replaced yet. I might have to try a different dealer in my area.
Mine happens mostly when I'm stopping and there are no turns. Although, it has happened while slowing down to turn at an intersection. But, 95% of the time, it happens when coming to a stop.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I never had this problem before, until I had the new motor and supercharger installed and tuned a couple of weeks ago. It has happened to me three times now. I currently have 63,000 miles on the truck. I would suspect it has to be something in the computer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread