5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

smashweights

Reaction score
Hi All & @RamCares

Glad I found this forum as I'm almost at my wits end with the problems I've had with my 2019 Laramie 1500 V8 with 40k miles. So far I've had to replace drivers side mirror for a motor burn out, and now the passenger mirror is having similar issues when trying to use the autoclose, and I'm out of warrenty now which is crazy how much I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. I had the rear axel brake growl which I had to bring in to get repaired. I had the tailgate issue where half the time you'd need to attempt to open multiple times before it would release (Cable length issue that was addressed but never actually fixed the problem). Both of my exhaust manifolds have cracked and needed to be replaced by the dealership. Took 2 weeks to get the car back and now it looks like the issues are back on both (Recall or TSB YET?) I had the rear window frame crack which they replaced but wanted me to split the cost, finally got the a friend at the dearship to step in and fight for me and which has led to an issue with my back right speaker having a loose casing sound (rattles randomly) which they can't reproduce somehow so f**k me I guess. The car has been dropped off once for the downshifting error which I caught on video about a year ago. Happened about 2 times in a month, then a few more randomly over 3 months. They couldn't find any error code and couldn't reproduce so they sent me on my way. Strangely enough it didn't occur again for about 5 months and now the gremlin is back and occured twice over two days, one of which was while I was pulling off a roundabout onto a freeway on ramp in AZ with my whole family in the car. Could have been incredibly dangerous. Then yesterday driving in LA on Sunset Blvd and was almost rear-ended. I'm so frustrated and fed up with the amount of issues I've had with this truck. Were these just pushed out without any quality control? This is my first Ram I've ever owned and despite all sh*t this truck has put me through I love it and just want it fixed. Does my truck seem like a lemon to have all of this happen or is this somewhat normal for people? I've scheduled a visit to my dealership for next week but I'm afraid that I'm just going to get the same run around I've already had. Please help.
Is the mirror the motor clicking over and over into place? I had both of my mirror motors on y 2019 Limited do this. Last one happened with about 3 weeks left on basic warranty...

The tailgate issue I have as well, I have read it's the latch bolts a little too far back and if you loosen and pull them forward it will fix it. Waiting on a T50 torx bit to come in to try this fix.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi All & @RamCares

Glad I found this forum as I'm almost at my wits end with the problems I've had with my 2019 Laramie 1500 V8 with 40k miles. So far I've had to replace drivers side mirror for a motor burn out, and now the passenger mirror is having similar issues when trying to use the autoclose, and I'm out of warrenty now which is crazy how much I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. I had the rear axel brake growl which I had to bring in to get repaired. I had the tailgate issue where half the time you'd need to attempt to open multiple times before it would release (Cable length issue that was addressed but never actually fixed the problem). Both of my exhaust manifolds have cracked and needed to be replaced by the dealership. Took 2 weeks to get the car back and now it looks like the issues are back on both (Recall or TSB YET?) I had the rear window frame crack which they replaced but wanted me to split the cost, finally got the a friend at the dearship to step in and fight for me and which has led to an issue with my back right speaker having a loose casing sound (rattles randomly) which they can't reproduce somehow so f**k me I guess. The car has been dropped off once for the downshifting error which I caught on video about a year ago. Happened about 2 times in a month, then a few more randomly over 3 months. They couldn't find any error code and couldn't reproduce so they sent me on my way. Strangely enough it didn't occur again for about 5 months and now the gremlin is back and occured twice over two days, one of which was while I was pulling off a roundabout onto a freeway on ramp in AZ with my whole family in the car. Could have been incredibly dangerous. Then yesterday driving in LA on Sunset Blvd and was almost rear-ended. I'm so frustrated and fed up with the amount of issues I've had with this truck. Were these just pushed out without any quality control? This is my first Ram I've ever owned and despite all sh*t this truck has put me through I love it and just want it fixed. Does my truck seem like a lemon to have all of this happen or is this somewhat normal for people? I've scheduled a visit to my dealership for next week but I'm afraid that I'm just going to get the same run around I've already had. Please help.
Hey @Tbjbu ,

We're sorry to hear about all of the frustrations you're having with your Laramie. If you'd like some assistance while your truck is at the dealer, PM us! We'd be happy to get you connected with a case manager who can help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Just to follow up with this, I brought my truck in for service on 21 September 2022 and they applied TSB 21-001-20 to update the TCM software. I can't say definitively that the problems has been resolved; however, 3+ months later and I have yet to experience the issue again. Just wanted to pass along a data point.
Thanks for letting me know! I'm trying to get a service apt to see if the 2019 TSB works for me.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Is the mirror the motor clicking over and over into place? I had both of my mirror motors on y 2019 Limited do this. Last one happened with about 3 weeks left on basic warranty...

The tailgate issue I have as well, I have read it's the latch bolts a little too far back and if you loosen and pull them forward it will fix it. Waiting on a T50 torx bit to come in to try this fix.
The driver side mirror completely died. The passenger side does the motor click where it's not catching and keeps trying to close and bangs against the window. Sometimes it will resolve itself, othertimes I have to get out and manually put it in place.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Hey @Tbjbu ,

We're sorry to hear about all of the frustrations you're having with your Laramie. If you'd like some assistance while your truck is at the dealer, PM us! We'd be happy to get you connected with a case manager who can help.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thanks Callie,

I started a message with @RamCares

Reelinfeele

Reaction score
Mine started around 50K miles, cleaned the TB, and poof, symptom gone. The cleaning seems to be the only potential fix, it worked for you and I and some others, AND it also has not worked for others. The word befuddled comes to mind. It's as frustrating as tracking down a bad ground 🤬.
My 19 rebel has been doing it for 20k miles, at 95k now. Of course dealer could never replicate it. I'm going to try the TB cleaning. Sometimes it stalls as well. I love my truck and hate to get a new one.

Reelinfeele

Reaction score
Just to follow up with this, I brought my truck in for service on 21 September 2022 and they applied TSB 21-001-20 to update the TCM software. I can't say definitively that the problems has been resolved; however, 3+ months later and I have yet to experience the issue again. Just wanted to pass along a data point.
I'm curious. I have been dealing with this issue for a while. Cleaning the TB today and cross fingers.

Vulpes

Reaction score
My 19 rebel has been doing it for 20k miles, at 95k now. Of course dealer could never replicate it. I'm going to try the TB cleaning. Sometimes it stalls as well. I love my truck and hate to get a new one.
Oof, 20K miles, that sounds alike a lot of neutral slips.

Buried somewhere in this thread is a picture of my TB with some gunk on it, from when I cleaned mine, and it wasn't that dirty IMO. Would you be willing to take a photo of yours with gunk on it and post it here? I feel like I should be putting all this information in a spreadsheet or something.

DWF123

Reaction score
Hi Kicknsnare,

I am just new here. All the way from the Netherlands searching for the issue I am having with my 2019 Ram ending up at this forum. I am facing exactly the same issue you are having. Recently ended up on the middle of crossing coming to a standstill....
Luckily had time to get it moving again but this issue really can cause accidents 😳 Any update on the issue?

thanks
I just joined today. I'm having the same problem. Did you ever solve the issue?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just joined today. I'm having the same problem. Did you ever solve the issue?
Post details about your truck please. Make a signature if you can. That way folks can help you better.

DWF123

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 ram1500 bighorn. 5.7 hemi with 73000 miles. In the last month I have had this issue about shift into park. Today I was driving 35 mph and slowing down to make a right turn and I have no power and dash say shift to park. I recently replaces my battery but a equivalent of stock but bought at advanced auto parts. I also had dealership installed mopar 2 inch lift an d 285/60/20 tires and on stock rims. I bought the 7 year 999,000 mile warranty so I’m covered but any feedback Wht the fix is would be greatly appreciated.
My 2019 is completely stock and it does the same thing.

CDP110

Reaction score
Try cleaning throttle body That worked for me. I tried bringing to dealership but got the runaround because it does not throw a code and they really don’t have a clue. They don’t make mechanics like they used to. GOOD LUCK

wiwquotes

Reaction score
I should have used the verbiage "I may prefer to have the dealership swap the rear end for 3.21 if required" LOL. The ordering dealer or first buyer selected this option from the factory. I am curious if there is programming intended for the different rear axle option that perhaps didn't occur at the factory. I just bought the truck pre-owned in February of this year and have noticed the issue consistently since purchase.
Did you ever find anything out? Ram Doesnt Care and the problem is only getting worse

wiwquotes

Reaction score
Thank you for looping us in, @Orange-devil, as we certainly understand how this is concerning. Our team is more than willing to assist via private messages and alongside dealer services. Please know that we are unfortunately unable to assist customers outside of the United States, however. We therefore recommend following up with the Customer Care team in your region by visiting FCA Country Finder - Find Ram Trucks In Your Country. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Ram Doesnt Care should be screen name. Ive talked with them and they aren't willing to do anything. When something serious happens they will be forced to answer then

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure when they started the "open door auto park" thing but it is on the new ones and if you do not have it on an older model with a knob shifter, if you go to a dealer they will update the software so it does have the safety feature.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Doesnt Care should be screen name. Ive talked with them and they aren't willing to do anything. When something serious happens they will be forced to answer then
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with Ram. We'd like to see how we can remedy this for you. If you're interested in an additional layer of assistance with your vehicle, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there @DWF123 ,

If you decide to take your vehicle to the dealership, please provide them STAR case •S2118000013 as this may help them diagnose your vehicle. If you'd like any additional assistance, please reach out to us via direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Funny, my truck does the exact same thing as OP. Did it 3-4x and hasn't done it in a while, knock wood.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

I'll get back to you on this but mine did it, and I fixed it. I want to say:

1) I retracted the mirrors.
2) The one that was having issues, I held, hit the extend button.
3) It clicked.
4) I retracted them again, not holding the problem mirror.
5) When I extended them again, WITHOUT holding the previous problem mirror, they both extended fine and locked into place tight.

No problem since.

gcohen

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having an issue in which my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Laramie 5.7L V8 with 8 speed auto with 3.92 rear axle ratio and am hoping you can help. Upon braking and downshifting and perhaps more when vehicle is "cold", transmission occasionally falls out of drive without user input. The D indicator around the shift knob and in the instrument panel will blink. Tried to capture the blinking in the images below. In this case, the vehicle is parked more or less at a traffic light, but it has happened enough that I have scrambled and captured videos at 7 MPH as well. The instrument panel will also display the message "Shift to P then Desired Gear". In this time, the engine remains running and the transmission enters a neutral stage. This can be pretty dangerous when it occurs upon braking for a railroad crossing or yield and merge situation in which I cannot accelerate into traffic or away from a train. The transmission can be re-engaged by shifting to P then back to D. I do have 57,000 miles on the vehicle and this would definitely qualify as a powertrain issue, within warranty. I have taken the vehicle into the dealership with a description of the issue and a video. The shift knob was replaced to attempt to resolve with no change in issue frequency. I'll be taking it back this week for the last time. Is there a transmission programming change required for the rear axle ratio change that perhaps didn't happen? I bought the vehicle used and don't do much towing myself. I may prefer to swap the rear end for original 3.21 if required to resolve. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? Any ideas to resolve? Please help

View attachment 77802 View attachment 77804
View attachment 77803 View attachment 77805
I am also getting this issue on my 2020 ram longhorn when accelerating from a stop. Any solutions

Users who are viewing this thread