5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Vulpes

Reaction score
Good morning arbitrary drop into neutral support group, Checking in, and an update today April 5, 2023 - After thoroughly cleaning the TB in August of 2022, my 2019 Rebel has not done it since. I didn't think it was even that dirty, I've seen far worse on running vehicles. Hope no one has been harmed by their truck deciding to jam itself into neutral while driving. Take care out there.

Pulled the TB, it was coated with grime, heaviest around where the butterfly meets the body. Now I'll give it a few days and see what happens with the neutral drop gremlin installed by RAM. FYI - The TB to manifold gasket is Felpro-61586, NOT 61372, (which the AI computer overlord at big parts store also had me buy).

View attachment 136196

gcohen

Reaction score
I have two friends with 1500s. Neither one has had any issues. Probably affecting less than 2% of the vehicles, but that's still a lot of vehicles!
I have 2020 1500 longhorn and it has happened 3 times so far. Taking it to dealer next week.

gcohen

Reaction score
Mine happens mostly when I'm stopping and there are no turns. Although, it has happened while slowing down to turn at an intersection. But, 95% of the time, it happens when coming to a stop.
Same as mine. Slowly come to stop then accelerate and it happens. 2020 ram 1500 longhorn edition 13000 miles.

gcohen

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there are two TSBs out: 08-093-22 for 2022 models and 18-091-22 is for 2021 models.
We would also like to look into this for our 2019 owners, so if you own a 2019 and are experiencing this issue, please send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares
What about 2020

ScottW19

Reaction score
I had it happen to me twice. First time thought it was a fluke. Second time went to this forum.

coming out of my neighbor hood Stopped for a stop sign. Felt like the truck surged and then popped out of gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26

gcohen

Reaction score
Anyone have any solutions. My dealer in Texas says they cannot recreate it so they are not attempting to fix or do any research.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am also getting this issue on my 2020 ram longhorn when accelerating from a stop. Any solutions
Hey,

We recommend taking Star Case S2118000013 to your dealership as this can help with diagnosis and repair of your vehicle.

Callie
Ram Cares

Royal

Reaction score
Just happened to me twice, once in the middle of an intersection. Will clean the TB, charge the battery and see if that remedies it.

Royal

Reaction score
OK!! Figured out why it 'suddenly' happened. I was in Stock mode on my Pulsar (ie no input from the unit, all OEM PCM processing). I always run in Stock MDS Off (Performance MDS Off when needed), I must have hit the down button on the steering wheel by mistake. So on the way home I videoed the following: Stock - Over Rev on slow down and N jump. Stock - Over Rev on slow down only. Stock MDS Off - nothing. Stock MDS Off nothing, Tow - nothing, Performance MDS Off - nothing.

@RamCares It seems to me there needs to be a recall on the PCM. It may be that the signals are incorrect coming into the PCM. I can't decipher that as the DiabloSport Pulsar takes all inputs and manages/massages them.

The reason I have never noticed it before is probably due to having that bolt-on Pulsar for years, which will have masked the issue whenever it arose and every time it rears its dangerous and potentially life threatening head.

Matt057

Reaction score
So you guys are saying a dirty throttle body is causing the transmission to drop out of gear?! What does "Ram Cares" have to say about this? What does the star case number they are giving mean?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you guys are saying a dirty throttle body is causing the transmission to drop out of gear?! What does "Ram Cares" have to say about this? What does the star case number they are giving mean?
That’s what some folks have found helps. No word from FCA on the matter

Snekpete

Reaction score
OK!! Figured out why it 'suddenly' happened. I was in Stock mode on my Pulsar (ie no input from the unit, all OEM PCM processing). I always run in Stock MDS Off (Performance MDS Off when needed), I must have hit the down button on the steering wheel by mistake. So on the way home I videoed the following: Stock - Over Rev on slow down and N jump. Stock - Over Rev on slow down only. Stock MDS Off - nothing. Stock MDS Off nothing, Tow - nothing, Performance MDS Off - nothing.

@RamCares It seems to me there needs to be a recall on the PCM. It may be that the signals are incorrect coming into the PCM. I can't decipher that as the DiabloSport Pulsar takes all inputs and manages/massages them.

The reason I have never noticed it before is probably due to having that bolt-on Pulsar for years, which will have masked the issue whenever it arose and every time it rears its dangerous and potentially life threatening head.
Interesting.

RamCares

Reaction score
What about 2020
Hey there,

For 2020 vehicles you can bring STAR Online case S2118000013 to your dealership. Please know that you can reach out to us at any time for assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey Matt057,

If you're in need of assistance, the following information is helpful to your dealership for diagnosis and repair of your truck:
TSB 08-093-22 for 2022 models
TSB 18-091-22 for 2021 models
STAR Online case for 2020 models: S2118000013

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have further questions or are in need of assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares

Drewsome

Reaction score
Hey Matt057,

If you're in need of assistance, the following information is helpful to your dealership for diagnosis and repair of your truck:
TSB 08-093-22 for 2022 models
TSB 18-091-22 for 2021 models
STAR Online case for 2020 models: S2118000013

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have further questions or are in need of assistance.

Callie
Ram Cares
Anything for 2019 year?

RamCares

Reaction score
Anything for 2019 year?
Hi there,

There is one Star Case S2121000012, that addresses an issue with shifting into the next gear. If you are experiencing any of the concerns mentioned in this thread, we recommend making an appointment for diagnosis with your dealer. You can certainly reference that Star Case, but there is no guarantee that it applies! Please send us a private message if you need any additional support.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread