5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone know at this point. Can someone post what Star Case number S2118000013 actually says?
Welp, my blood pressure is going up!
I don't want to be towing the RV out on the interstate headed west 700 miles from home, have it drop into neutral & get rear-ended by a tractor trailer going 70mph!
In forums (trucks, cars, boats, RV's & etc) we all discuss our problems, issues & fixes. Hopefully someone is able to come up with a fix... Preferably the manufacturer!

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my take on this is that there is a recall because a tailgate 'may' open...

But nothing for a vehicle transmission falling out of drive on downshift...
I don't want to spread misinformation but what am I missing?

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Welp, my blood pressure is going up!
I don't want to be towing the RV out on the interstate headed west 700 miles from home, have it drop into neutral & get rear-ended by a tractor trailer going 70mph!
In forums (trucks, cars, boats, RV's & etc) we all discuss our problems, issues & fixes. Hopefully someone is able to come up with a fix... Preferably the manufacturer!
For me, this only ever happens in the first 1/2 mile of my drive, after slowing down to about 7-10mph then trying to get back on the accelerator. Not sure everyone else experience.

So my take on this is that there is a recall because a tailgate 'may' open...

But nothing for a vehicle transmission falling out of drive on downshift...
I don't want to spread misinformation but what am I missing?
Can't recall without knowing what's the problem or the solution?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 1500 is in the shop right now and the Service Manager is telling me that because he isn't seeing the error messages that this case mentions, theres nothing he can do. I'm ready to drive it into the ocean and leave it there! HELP!!!!
Hey @FrustratedRam

We'd love to get you connected to a case manager! If you're interested, please DM us!

Callie
Ram Cares

Frankj

Reaction score
Add my 2019 Big Horn to this list, started doing it a few days ago about once per day while slowing down at about 10mph

Vulpes

Reaction score
I have 2019 with 102,000 miles. This issue happened on my bighorn last winter and I cleaned throttle body and it has been good since.
Mine started around 50K miles, cleaned the TB, and poof, symptom gone. The cleaning seems to be the only potential fix, it worked for you and I and some others, AND it also has not worked for others. The word befuddled comes to mind. It's as frustrating as tracking down a bad ground 🤬.

15clove

Reaction score
Hello @Kicknsnare, we certainly understand how this would be concerning. We would be more than willing to assist in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage for further support, thank you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
I’m having the exact same problem with my 2019 ram and my dealership doesn’t call me back and when I call they transfer me and then I get voicemail leave a message and still no call back I

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m having the exact same problem with my 2019 ram and my dealership doesn’t call me back and when I call they transfer me and then I get voicemail leave a message and still no call back I
Hey @15clove ,

We'd love to get you some help with this! Can you please DM us?

Callie
Ram Cares

Davy van Hirtum

Reaction score
I cleaned the tb and checked the oil level of the transmission here it added 1.25L.
No more problems and the car shifts a lot more pleasantly.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Hi All & @RamCares

Glad I found this forum as I'm almost at my wits end with the problems I've had with my 2019 Laramie 1500 V8 with 40k miles. So far I've had to replace drivers side mirror for a motor burn out, and now the passenger mirror is having similar issues when trying to use the autoclose, and I'm out of warrenty now which is crazy how much I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. I had the rear axel brake growl which I had to bring in to get repaired. I had the tailgate issue where half the time you'd need to attempt to open multiple times before it would release (Cable length issue that was addressed but never actually fixed the problem). Both of my exhaust manifolds have cracked and needed to be replaced by the dealership. Took 2 weeks to get the car back and now it looks like the issues are back on both (Recall or TSB YET?) I had the rear window frame crack which they replaced but wanted me to split the cost, finally got the a friend at the dearship to step in and fight for me and which has led to an issue with my back right speaker having a loose casing sound (rattles randomly) which they can't reproduce somehow so f**k me I guess. The car has been dropped off once for the downshifting error which I caught on video about a year ago. Happened about 2 times in a month, then a few more randomly over 3 months. They couldn't find any error code and couldn't reproduce so they sent me on my way. Strangely enough it didn't occur again for about 5 months and now the gremlin is back and occured twice over two days, one of which was while I was pulling off a roundabout onto a freeway on ramp in AZ with my whole family in the car. Could have been incredibly dangerous. Then yesterday driving in LA on Sunset Blvd and was almost rear-ended. I'm so frustrated and fed up with the amount of issues I've had with this truck. Were these just pushed out without any quality control? This is my first Ram I've ever owned and despite all sh*t this truck has put me through I love it and just want it fixed. Does my truck seem like a lemon to have all of this happen or is this somewhat normal for people? I've scheduled a visit to my dealership for next week but I'm afraid that I'm just going to get the same run around I've already had. Please help.

Last edited:

AlphaSheepDog

Reaction score
I have a 2019 with 34K miles and this is happening to me.

Mostly happens in the same spot. Get in the car after work and am waiting at a light after 2 stop signs. Light turns green and when I go to accelerate I get a thump and then have to run the transmission through the gears.
Just to follow up with this, I brought my truck in for service on 21 September 2022 and they applied TSB 21-001-20 to update the TCM software. I can't say definitively that the problems has been resolved; however, 3+ months later and I have yet to experience the issue again. Just wanted to pass along a data point.

Users who are viewing this thread