5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
Installed the Truxedo Sentry CT today after my local shop told me that they absolutely could not order one that fits the MFT.... Ao i ordered it myself lol.. only thing is the instructions are unclear a bit. There is a plastic washer and nut instead of the big sliding clips, which is a bummer because i had to remove the clamps and re align the rails to get enough clearance for the nut to fit and in the future it will be difficult to ever remove it if i need the full bed. I also used scissors to cut the little rubber pads that sit between the end of the rails and the tailgate because if you open the MFT to the side it knocks those little pads off. Other than that im really pleased, it looks good and functions just how i expected and definitely works with the stock corner braces assuming you order the right part number (#1587016)
Can you close the tailgate with the cover in the closed position or do you need to release the cover before closing the tailgate and then press the cover down on top of it? Watched several videos and looked at tons of pics and it is my one lingering question. Thanks!

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Can you close the tailgate with the cover in the closed position or do you need to release the cover before closing the tailgate and then press the cover down on top of it? Watched several videos and looked at tons of pics and it is my one lingering question. Thanks!
You do need to unlock the cover, roll it back a hair, close the doors or tailgate then roll back the cover and snap it in both corners. I was told to do it this way to secure the weather stripping on the top of the tail gate. Kind of a pain but at this point after 3 months, I don't even notice I have to do it that way.

mffdvr

Reaction score
You do need to unlock the cover, roll it back a hair, close the doors or tailgate then roll back the cover and snap it in both corners. I was told to do it this way to secure the weather stripping on the top of the tail gate. Kind of a pain but at this point after 3 months, I don't even notice I have to do it that way.
...or alternatively, you can use the "barn door" and it seems a bit easier to manage that weather stripping when closing, but you're correct, after you get used to rolling it back it's not really that 'inconvenient'.

NDThumper

Reaction score
Got a question for you guys who got the Truxedo Sentry CT, we are looking
at their site and noticed today that it is a woven top. We live out in the country
and I think the Truxedo Sentry that is vinyl would work better out here on our
gravel roads.

Are you guys running on dirty gravel roads and how do they clean up?

We are leaning on getting the Sentry, looked at driving down but
they are 400 miles away from us so I guess we will order.

Thanks guys.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Got a question for you guys who got the Truxedo Sentry CT, we are looking
at their site and noticed today that it is a woven top. We live out in the country
and I think the Truxedo Sentry that is vinyl would work better out here on our
gravel roads.

Are you guys running on dirty gravel roads and how do they clean up?

We are leaning on getting the Sentry, looked at driving down but
they are 400 miles away from us so I guess we will order.

Thanks guys.
The CT is a woven top, I went with the non CT which is the Vinyl top. Think it was $50 cheaper. I had the same concern with the woven top as I have a convertible with the woven top and it is brutal with dust and cotton wood seeds.

The cover is the same other than the top material as far as I am aware of. Good Luck

Toolman_42

Reaction score
Can you describe the rail modifications. I have an MX4 that does not fit my 2021 Limited with the 5'7" bed even though I ordered and installed the righton brackets. Before ordering the MX4 I spoke with someone at BAK who assured me that the MX4 would work using the replacement brackets. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper at the moment!
Working on mine today on the hottest day of the year. Had to wear gloves to keep the black piece part from burning flesh.
The mod to the rail is to remove the end of the rail clamping material. About 7/8" wide and 10 3/4" which should make it flush (removes clamping area). I've completed this part but am having an issue with my righton brackets riding too high in the corner. Even with the rail trimmed back flush, this keeps the front of the rail from sealing properly to the bed.
Looks like angle grinder and I will becoming close friends...either that or have to modify all the holes to allow the bracket to sit lower (3/32").

Attachments

• 20210730_174536.jpg
    20210730_174536.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210730_174604.jpg
    20210730_174604.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Mark1200

Reaction score
hi Guys.1st post.
Thanks to all for participating in this helpful thread. You have given me the confidence to order and install one of this type of cover.
i am thinking about ordering the bakflip MX4. i want this style of lid. i have read that some of these tops scratch very easily. can anyone point me to the best of this style of cover?

DCGibson

Reaction score
I acquired brackets of 3/8" steel from Pete at rightonbrackets.com, drilled them to match the factory brackets, and installed a retrax pro mx cover. Fit like a glove. The new brackets appear stronger than the factory bolts that secure them and the steel part of the bed they are fastened to. Love this cover, BTW View attachment 39921 View attachment 39921
Thank you for posting these pictures, Mandtz! I also have a ReTrax Pro cover on my 2019 Limited 1500 and am interested in a 2022 which might only be available with the MFT. If that is the case, I can keep my new ReTrax cover and use it on the 2022. Did your new brackets interfere at all with the canister on your ReTrax cover? I'm guessing not, but I'm just curious. Thanks for your time and again for the pictures and information! DCG

Kevnole

Reaction score
If you need to replace your stock truck bed brackets to install a tonneau cover, we have an option. We designed the brackets on this thread and now have replacements ready to ship. Check them out:

View attachment 41649

Our truck bed brackets are just a simple right angle steel bracket without a reinforcement bar. The steel is 3/8" thick and made in our shop here in the states. Just as strong as the stock brackets! Mounting holes are 1/2" wide so you're able to use the stock mounting hardware from your original truck brackets. They're also buffed smooth and powder coated black for a beautiful finish.

Let us know if you need a pair!
I would like to buy a pair of your brackets, can you send me the info so I may purchase them?

Lalantodd

Reaction score
Got mine installed yesterday. Didn’t trim anything. If we ever take it off it will take some finagling to get it back in but it’s fine. Doubt I will ever take it off much.
Do you have any pics of your installation. I ordered the Ultra Flex tonight and hope to install next week with the RO brackets. Any tips would be appreciated.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of your installation. I ordered the Ultra Flex tonight and hope to install next week with the RO brackets. Any tips would be appreciated.
Sorry no I didn’t take any pictures. Installed the brackets with the flush bolts on the side like everybody else. It took some work to get the front down without trimming anything. But I got it to go

DavMull

Reaction score
How did this install go? Did you use the low profile bolts for the RO brackets?

DavMull

Reaction score
Sorry no I didn’t take any pictures. Installed the brackets with the flush bolts on the side like everybody else. It took some work to get the front down without trimming anything. But I got it to go
You used flush bolts? Not the stock bolts? Thanks

DavMull

Reaction score
are there any known tonneau covers that work with the trucks that have the MFT without removing the braces? i reached out to Bak and they said the braces would have to be removed to install their product.
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie short bed. I purchased the only cover that would fit without modification when I purchased it in January 2021. The Extang Solid Fold 2.0. The Solid Fold did the job but was inadequate for my needs since I had previously had a GMC with an Undercover Flex cover that I loved.
The Solid Fold requires unlatching both sides to fold. The method of latching under the bed rail and the handles you use to engage the bed rails are tedious. You also cannot expose the entire bed. The front panel nearest cab does not fold. I wanted my old Undercover Flex back!
After following this forum for a couple of months and searching for a solution that does not require modification I decided to purchase the Right On brackets and pursue a modified solution.
I visited my local bed cover dealer that I had previously purchased many things from, including the Solid Fold. He was not familiar with the work around using the RO brackets. I asked him to utilize the RO brackets I had and to install a Undercover Flex. He suggested the Future Trucks folding cover. It is very similar to the Flex but with a couple of upgrades.
I purchased the Future Truck cover, provided the RO brackets, and he made it happen.
I am very pleased. Plus, I sold the Solid Fold online at about 50% of what I paid in January. But, it was worth it to me. See the pics.
Thanks! 73E691E9-8230-423C-A058-9421FC33FB4E.jpeg C3957109-ED44-402B-8581-F0C252A73568.jpeg 48260CFF-466E-45E7-A7C9-C3D6C352C87D.jpeg C4CC20CD-0CC7-4EA5-9277-6D3F7DF3E32C.jpeg

Nomad

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie short bed. I purchased the only cover that would fit without modification when I purchased it in January 2021. The Extang Solid Fold 2.0. The Solid Fold did the job but was inadequate for my needs since I had previously had a GMC with an Undercover Flex cover that I loved.
The Solid Fold requires unlatching both sides to fold. The method of latching under the bed rail and the handles you use to engage the bed rails are tedious. You also cannot expose the entire bed. The front panel nearest cab does not fold. I wanted my old Undercover Flex back!
After following this forum for a couple of months and searching for a solution that does not require modification I decided to purchase the Right On brackets and pursue a modified solution.
I visited my local bed cover dealer that I had previously purchased many things from, including the Solid Fold. He was not familiar with the work around using the RO brackets. I asked him to utilize the RO brackets I had and to install a Undercover Flex. He suggested the Future Trucks folding cover. It is very similar to the Flex but with a couple of upgrades.
I purchased the Future Truck cover, provided the RO brackets, and he made it happen.
I am very pleased. Plus, I sold the Solid Fold online at about 50% of what I paid in January. But, it was worth it to me. See the pics.
Thanks! View attachment 105964 View attachment 105965 View attachment 105966 View attachment 105967
Nice looking cover but it still appears that there have been modifications to the cover's rails in addition to adding the R.O. brackets. Glad you were able to find someone to do the job for you and that you are happy with it.

BeachBum

Reaction score
Thanks! View attachment 105964 View attachment 105965 View attachment 105966 View attachment 105967
Looks like if the counter sink bolts had been used this cover would not have required notching the rails!

DavMull

Reaction score
Nice looking cover but it still appears that there have been modifications to the cover's rails in addition to adding the R.O. brackets. Glad you were able to find someone to do the job for you and that you are happy with it.
Definitely. Didn't mean to imply there were no mods.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread