5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

flynfish

Reaction score
Successfully installed the Bak Revolver X4s hard rolling tonneau using the right on brackets and some modification. The recessed bolts were not necessary, which is good because the ones I had ordered were way too short.

Note on the right on bracket, the cutout for the painted bolt and washer is snug fitting, if you tighten the bolts behind the cab first it should line up, then tighten the bedside bolts.

Now the good stuff. In order to make this cover fit as intended I made two cuts to the rails to fit around the right on brackets so the rails would be snug to the bedsides. Here’s a before-ish shot (had started the cut):
View attachment 86505
I cut the part of the rail that goes against the bedside about 4/5 ribs down and 10” from the cab end to notch around the bracket. I also cut off the silver tab by the spring that goes against the cab side. This tab sets the depth and would have pushed the cover too far towards the tailgate due to the thickness of the right on bracket. After shot:
View attachment 86506
Here you can see how this fits around the right on bracket now:
View attachment 86511
This part may not have been necessary since I later moved the cover slightly towards the tailgate to snug the seal up against the tailgate. The springs were rubbing against the bolt in the right on bracket as seen here:
View attachment 86507
To fix this I relocated the upper end of the spring towards the tailgate. A recessed bolt would also work. On the driver’s side I moved the spring into the end of the slot for the cover bolts.
View attachment 86509
On the passenger side I drilled a new hole about a half inch over.
View attachment 86510
Bak provides a thicker and thinner strip of foam to seal along the cab side of the bed. You’ll use the thicker one, but in my case there was a little bit of a gap between the side rail and the gasket. Hard to see but there is a little bit of light under my finger:
View attachment 86513
I used some of the thinner gasket attached to the bottom of the rail to fill this in.
View attachment 86514
View attachment 86515
At this point the cover can be installed as normal. Here’s a shot of everything bolted up. I attached the strap clamp on the right on bracket to get it in a better spot. Took some convincing to get it tight on the smooth metal but it’s secure enough for the strap.
View attachment 86516

Too many attachments, will follow up with final pics.

Couple of notes.
- You will have to guesstimate on how far forward/back to install the rails since the tab that goes against the cab end was removed. As mentioned I ended up having to shift it towards the tailgated once I had the cover on. Just make sure both sides are at the same distance front/back so things square up.
- The rail ends were uneven at the tailgate for me. One side was a bit high leaving a gap and the other too low causing the tailgate to hit it. With the rails bolted on a few good pushes in the right direction flexed the bed side enough to line things up nicely.

Can you take a pic of the front near the cab? I haven’t cut the spacing tabs off yet as I was trying to avoid more cutting. I’m guessing I probably need to based on the way mine looks?

9bcf17bac438ef1b52038c7ce3318677.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enigmaaron

Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the front near the cab? I haven’t cut the spacing tabs off yet as I was trying to avoid more cutting. I’m guessing I probably need to based on the way mine looks?

9bcf17bac438ef1b52038c7ce3318677.jpg

Can try to get a pic for you later. The spacing at the cab isn’t as important as the spacing at the tailgate. At the cab end there is that wide flap to cover things, at the tailgate you want the gasket to snug up nicely to the tailgate when closed. If you have that then you are good.

flynfish

Reaction score
Thanks and appreciate your original instructions! I went ahead and cut the tab. I think it’s a little better as it rests on the bracket to provide some more strength.

Tip: I tried using a dremel, but it didn’t work as good as a drill with cutoff wheel, so that is what I would recommend for cutting the metal.

570bd7930ccd63a6be207d854c5f6480.jpg

8af977046c9524cbc75a3ea58782d1f5.jpg

489e523b4f5ba48ca1b84ac0972238ac.jpg

I just cut one of the other bolts to length for the front cab so it didn’t get in the way of the spring.

cd9cb8199b77618eba31023a433976bc.jpg

4f214119c36d7151b39f78b5e25f2ded.jpg

6033f2b1a877fcaf6addaa6af072bfe3.jpg

Last edited:

flynfish

Reaction score
So looking over everything again, I probably didn’t need to cut the tab. If you open the tailgate you can look to see how well the seal hits the tailgate. Right not you can see that there is a gap, so I will need to scoot everything back at least a 1/4in if not a bit more.

89018038dc8842aedd12f9a03bdfb369.jpg

flynfish

Reaction score
So I was too lazy to move it and decided to use the extra weather stripping provided to close out the gap

0a4cb840b2292faf60ce66c35939f55d.jpg

ramtacular

Reaction score
New Ram owner with the MFTG. I really want the Bakflip G2 or MX 4. Looks like I can make it work by ordering the RO brackets and trimming the underside of the Backflip channels so they fit over the RO bracket? Does this affect the drainage?

Has anybody thought about simply installing the channels so the front edge buts up against the factory bed brackets and then trimming the back of the channels off? Then instead of the supplied elevator bolt use a bolt either threaded into the stock reinforcing brackets (drill & tapped) or clamped through the stock angle bracket.

onit43

Reaction score
I acquired brackets of 3/8" steel from Pete at rightonbrackets.com, drilled them to match the factory brackets, and installed a retrax pro mx cover. Fit like a glove. The new brackets appear stronger than the factory bolts that secure them and the steel part of the bed they are fastened to. Love this cover, BTW View attachment 39921 View attachment 39921
That is the exact retractable I want. Thank you. I just need to learn how to do it

onit43

Reaction score
If you need to replace your stock truck bed brackets to install a tonneau cover, we have an option. We designed the brackets on this thread and now have replacements ready to ship. Check them out:

View attachment 41649

Our truck bed brackets are just a simple right angle steel bracket without a reinforcement bar. The steel is 3/8" thick and made in our shop here in the states. Just as strong as the stock brackets! Mounting holes are 1/2" wide so you're able to use the stock mounting hardware from your original truck brackets. They're also buffed smooth and powder coated black for a beautiful finish.

Let us know if you need a pair!
I need a pair... brackets, silly. How do I order and pay?

HarlyFan

Reaction score
Installed my Retrax MX Pro today using the brackets I ordered from Pete at Rightonbracket and installation could not have been easier. I used stock bolts instead of replacing them with the counter sunk bolts people are ordering off of Amazon and they worked perfectly. Save the money on the bolts and buy yourself lunch. Thanks for all the help that I got in 30 plus pages regarding this question.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone needs a set of the right one brackets, I have a pair that I just removed from my truck as it is being sold. They come with the flush mounted bolts as well as already chamfered holes. Looking for 75 shipped.

Attachments

• F23A2B93-50B0-4729-9952-14B1ECC894B3.jpeg
    F23A2B93-50B0-4729-9952-14B1ECC894B3.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 36

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
definitely looks like it will work. My question is why is it even necessary. What about the MF makes a brace required.
The factory bracket on each corner of the front of the bed is for structure,because the MFT has hindges on each door top and bottom so the weight of the door would flex the side panels of the bed. Might spread open the walls and doors would not close or open properly.

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
I ordered them from Pete at Rightonbracket.com undrilled. ( they are 11" on each side and 2 1/2" wide) then drilled them myself after templating from the factory brackets. Here's a template.
I took a picture with the cannister View attachment 39903 View attachment 39904 , but the brackets are covered up View attachment 39905
That came out very nice. my problem is I have a brand new Bak Flip MX4 in the box. I have to try to see if I can retro fit it. The cover goes for a grand.

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these brackets will allow the install of the Undercover Armor, or the BakFlip MX4? I'm just wondering if you will be able to fit the side rails without the brackets interfering. I know you all are having success with the Retrax, but I was wondering if the flip versions would work as well.
Yeah I would like to know also the one on BAK FLIP MX4 have one new in box 6.4 bed need to install also. this is ******** dealer never told how hard it is to get a top on the MFT .

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I would like to know also the one on BAK FLIP MX4 have one new in box 6.4 bed need to install also. this is ******** dealer never told how hard it is to get a top on the MFT .
I have the brackets and I installed the Bak flip MX4 with minor mods to the rails.
No issues. Looks and works great.
I also had same on a quad cab Laramie before i got my Limited.

Attachments

• 13A81431-DD1B-4729-8164-C927D9AAE956.jpeg
    13A81431-DD1B-4729-8164-C927D9AAE956.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 9D3F9B80-E004-4ABF-B099-5FECD1D1DC2B.jpeg
    9D3F9B80-E004-4ABF-B099-5FECD1D1DC2B.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

NorcalMike

Reaction score
Undercover ultra flex does not have to be modifed with the RO brackets other than 12" of weatherstripping which can easily be replaced (if you are worried about resale)
Do you have any pictures of where the weatherstripping needs modification? I have the brackets already and the Undercover Ultra flex will be here soon. Thanks

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of where the weatherstripping needs modification? I have the brackets already and the Undercover Ultra flex will be here soon. Thanks
I don’t, as I’ve already sold it.

basically, on the rails that get clamped on the bed there are two layers of weather stripping. I peeled back the first layer (foam) and trimmed down the second layer (rubber) about 12” - which is the length of the bracket. If you don’t, the rails will be pushed inward not allowing the cover to sit flush inside the rails. If you have any questions, pm me a pic of the rails I can circle where to trim

Users who are viewing this thread