5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

HBAR

Reaction score
I just installed my BAK MX4 w/RO brackets on my 2021 Ram 1500 w/MFT. Per the original post, he is spot on with the cuts and I didn't have to move the drain at all. The top rail fits flush with the rail liner, the tail-gate closes snug so we'll see if any adjustments are needed as it wears in and if the additional weather stripping is needed. I loosened the bolts a bit to lower the brackets, moved the front rail hold-down clamp as far forward as possible, the rear 6" from the tail-gate and the middle one centered between them. Unless BAK Industries makes a rail that is already cut to work w/ RO brackets( raising the holes a bit would lower the bracket so you wouldn't have to cut as much off the inside rail leaving a bit more support) for the MFT, you'll have break out the angle grinder w/cut-off wheel.

v65

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any success installing a Roll-N-Lock or Pace Edward Jackrabbit with the Right On Bracket? Just looking for an alternative retractable tonneau that has a smaller canister than the Retrax.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Hello everyone! We've been getting good feedback on the RAM brackets. If anyone has and questions, please go to our website and reach out to us directly for the quickest response. Here is a link:

All our steel is made in the states and we'll never source from oversees. This forced us to increased our prices a year ago, but we changed a few things and dropped our prices back to what they were before. Instead of $105 for the RAM brackets, we dropped the pair back down to $90.

Thank you everyone!

-Pete

Delmonico87

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have you tried to see if a Gator FX3 will fit. I know it’s very similar to the Bakflip MX4. Through this weekend they’re marked down about $85. Ive searched the whole thread but didn’t see this particular one mentioned.

Redfour5

Reaction score
are there any known tonneau covers that work with the trucks that have the MFT without removing the braces? i reached out to Bak and they said the braces would have to be removed to install their product.
Tuxedo Truxport for 299 bucks. Do you have the Ramboxes? It's designed so it slides right into the existing brackets utility management system brackets. I am perfectly happy with mine and from 15-20 feet you can't tell it from the 1K ones. You might need to get a roll of the 1 inch (expanding) window tape and you will need another person for about 30 seconds to slide it into the existing brackets, other than that, a piece of cake and keeps 98% of the water out. This video at about 1:55 lets you see one a bit. I also have Ramboxes And they have one that fits for that.

They have for both. I think the more expensive ones do the "bracket" thing so they can achieve the close to 100% water tightness, not sure though... But IF perfection is not your goal, then these are a good choice. They have them for all versions, I believe.

luckydog125

Reaction score
Removed my brackets and installed the Bak Flip. I honestly havent had a single issue with the brackets gone..............The Bak Flip works great for me.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Removed my brackets and installed the Bak Flip. I honestly havent had a single issue with the brackets gone..............The Bak Flip works great for me.
The brackets support the multi-function tailgate. If you put pressure on the tailgate without the brackets, you could have an issue.

-Pete

dinn2win

Reaction score
For those of you who have used the right-on brackets, what did you need to do to remove the OEM brackets and install these aftermarket brackets? I'm not a mechanic but I'm also fairly handy...but looking at my new truck I'm not sure how to unbolt the OEM brackets without having access to the nut-side of the nut/bolt. I could use some expert help, please! Thanks.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you who have used the right-on brackets, what did you need to do to remove the OEM brackets and install these aftermarket brackets? I'm not a mechanic but I'm also fairly handy...but looking at my new truck I'm not sure how to unbolt the OEM brackets without having access to the nut-side of the nut/bolt. I could use some expert help, please! Thanks.

The nuts are welded to the frame...so no need to get behind there.

I used the Right-On bracket to allow the fitment of a RetraxPro. I used a combination of button head and conical head bolts, of different lengths, to get the bolts flush (one of them is shorter than the rest), and the RetraxPro needed the flatness of the conical bolts to get all the way up front in the bed.

I posted a thread with some pix, somewhere in here...

dinn2win

Reaction score
The nuts are welded to the frame...so no need to get behind there.

I used the Right-On bracket to allow the fitment of a RetraxPro. I used a combination of button head and conical head bolts, of different lengths, to get the bolts flush (one of them is shorter than the rest), and the RetraxPro needed the flatness of the conical bolts to get all the way up front in the bed.

I posted a thread with some pix, somewhere in here...
Thank you, @c3k . Did you run into any other unique situations or issues? Any recommendations on the length of the conical and button bolts I should have on-hand once I start?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, @c3k . Did you run into any other unique situations or issues? Any recommendations on the length of the conical and button bolts I should have on-hand once I start?
Here's a post of mine: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-the-multifunction-tailgate.14175/post-454087

Read that one and down several more, I add more bolt info... (I said I give the RetraxPro a B+. I'm upgrading that to an A to A+. Off to edit!)

Sorry, I don't remember, offhand, what I ended up using. I did, however, end up buying a BUNCH of every size and head that might work from BoltDepot.com. My post, above, details the lengths and thread pitch, as well as each head style. I got the brackets in, but it did take a bit of persuasion with some long torque and I did sacrifice a bolt or two (and then, after the bracket was in position, used a fresh bolt for permanent install).

My install needed every bit of clearance I could gain...and it worked...barely.

Since my RetraxPro cannister would block access to these bolts in the future, I torqued them and loctited them. How much? Well...a lot. :)

rightonbracket

Reaction score
BIG NEWS FOR THE 2022 RAM! The 2021 bracket design fits perfectly on the 2022. You'll see 2021/2022 design on our website to choose from:

Go to our website and message us directly if you have any questions!

-Pete

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Got mine installed yesterday. Didn’t trim anything. If we ever take it off it will take some finagling to get it back in but it’s fine. Doubt I will ever take it off much.
Mike did you have to do any cutting to the rails for the right on brackets? Looking at the undercover ultra also or the bakflip mx4 (but that one seems like you have to do extra cutting and modifying for the drain holes).

NorcalMike

Reaction score
Mike did you have to do any cutting to the rails for the right on brackets? Looking at the undercover ultra also or the bakflip mx4 (but that one seems like you have to do extra cutting and modifying for the drain holes).
Got mine to go without any trimming but it was super tight

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Got mine to go without any trimming but it was super tight
Guess I wasn't thinking very clearly when I replied. 🙈

What I meant to ask was how is your water intrusion and did you put the rails between the bed and bracket or on the outside of the bracket and that’s why it was super tight?

NorcalMike

Reaction score
Guess I wasn't thinking very clearly when I replied. 🙈

What I meant to ask was how is your water intrusion and did you put the rails between the bed and bracket or on the outside of the bracket and that’s why it was super tight?
I’m not sure what you mean put the rails between the bed and the bracket. I put in the right on brackets and then I put in the cover. I mean it’s super tight in the front getting it to fit between the brackets. As for water intrusion I haven’t really checked I’m not really worried if it’s perfectly watertight or not.

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean put the rails between the bed and the bracket. I put in the right on brackets and then I put in the cover. I mean it’s super tight in the front getting it to fit between the brackets. As for water intrusion I haven’t really checked I’m not really worried if it’s perfectly watertight or not.

do you have pictures of how you attached it to the bracket? I just put the brackets on and I’m at a lost in how I’m going to put the rail on the bracket.

thanks in advance.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I don’t have any pictures but I’m not really sure what you’re talking about. The rails don’t attach to the bracket. The rails sit on the side of the bed and then have attachments on the front middle and rear on each side.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I don’t have any pictures but I’m not really sure what you’re talking about. The rails don’t attach to the bracket. The rails sit on the side of the bed and then have attachments on the front middle and rear on each side.
What he’s asking for is pictures of how it looks around the bracket with your rails installed.

Users who are viewing this thread